The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Comments on Cecil's Columns/Staff Reports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 PM
MrFlimsky MrFlimsky is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
How to tell is one is anal retentive.

I have tried this numerous times and feel that it is a valid process.

If you suspect that someone is anal retentive, you ask them if anal retentive has a hyphen in it.

If they say Yes or No, then they are.

If they say, who cares? Then they're not.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Tangent Tangent is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlimsky View Post
How to tell is one is anal retentive.
(bolding mine)

"if"

The thread title should read "How to tell if one is anal retentive."

Sorry, that was bugging me.








What?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 PM
don't ask don't ask is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 16,114
Actually "how to tell [if] one is anal retentive" would refer to a process by which one assesses their own propensity vis a vis anal retention, not that of another party.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 39,660
Here is a link to the column in question.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-26-2013, 12:12 AM
Inner Stickler Inner Stickler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
My trick is to leave 3 magazines neatly overlapped on the coffee table with the 4th one askew and see if they fix it. What's really great is if you can get someone who likes piles and someone who likes spreads and they spend the rest of the afternoon piling the magazines in a stack and fanning them out.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 39,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
My trick is to leave 3 magazines neatly overlapped on the coffee table with the 4th one askew and see if they fix it. What's really great is if you can get someone who likes piles and someone who likes spreads and they spend the rest of the afternoon piling the magazines in a stack and fanning them out.
Would the anal retentive be the one who would go to this much trouble just to find out who might be anal retentive?

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Inner Stickler Inner Stickler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
I find anal retentive people tend to be listmakers. I am a constant source of frustration due to my inability come up with anything resembling a cohesive grocery list.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Troppus Troppus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Would the anal retentive be the one who would go to this much trouble just to find out who might be anal retentive?

When I'm getting to know someone new, it's worth the small effort for me. I'm uncomfortable in the presence of that special brand of low level tension that Type A's generate as the move about a world not ordered to their liking. I appreciate their neatness and powers of organization, but the minutiae of their feedback like lint-picking, adjusting my personal items, and worrying over my plate gets old.

Last edited by Troppus; 01-26-2013 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-26-2013, 02:23 PM
moriah moriah is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Actually "how to tell [if] one is anal retentive" would refer to a process by which one assesses their own propensity vis a vis anal retention, not that of another party.
Not to be anal retentive about this, but 'one' is used correctly here to refer to some unknown third party agent who might possible also include oneself, as in, "Love the one you're with." If one means to reference oneself, then one uses 'oneself.'
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 AM
johnpost johnpost is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
My trick is to leave 3 magazines neatly overlapped on the coffee table with the 4th one askew and see if they fix it.
how do you mean fix?

place the fourth overlapped matching the others.

arrange by cover date and then place all four overlapped matching the three original.

arrange by ISSN then arrange by cover date and then place all four overlapped matching the three original.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-27-2013, 12:45 AM
moriah moriah is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post
how do you mean fix?

place the fourth overlapped matching the others.

arrange by cover date and then place all four overlapped matching the three original.

arrange by ISSN then arrange by cover date and then place all four overlapped matching the three original.
Scour Ebay and old bookstores to acquire all issues of each magazine from its first issue, arrange by date, order collections alphabetically with spines flush with the bookcase's shelf's edge.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 AM
C K Dexter Haven C K Dexter Haven is offline
Right Hand of the Master
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago north suburb
Posts: 16,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriah View Post
Scour Ebay and old bookstores to acquire all issues of each magazine from its first issue, arrange by date, order collections alphabetically with spines flush with the bookcase's shelf's edge.
Isn't there a diff between "obsessive/compulsive" and "anal retentive"?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 PM
moriah moriah is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by C K Dexter Haven View Post
Isn't there a diff between "obsessive/compulsive" and "anal retentive"?
For Freud, not much. For modern psychology, a non-question since "anal rententiveness" is a discredited theory.

In common parlance, a matter of degree.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 AM
MrFlimsky MrFlimsky is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Clearing up something

"One" definitely does not apply to me.

Today I have to go to my office and clean it out after a water pipe broke over the weekend. I've been in that office for 34 years....so possibly "Paper Hoarder" might be closer to the truth, cause "Hey, ya never know."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Crab Rangoon Crab Rangoon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Ya never know when a pipe might burst and you'll need all that paper to act as a giant sponge to soak it all up?

Yeah - my husband is the hoarder and I'm the (anal-retentive) anti-hoarder. It's an awesome dynamic. We complete each other!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Anaamika Anaamika is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
I find anal retentive people tend to be listmakers. I am a constant source of frustration due to my inability come up with anything resembling a cohesive grocery list.
I wanted to jump in here and say "How hard is it?" But I realized that might classify me as one of the anal retentives.

I just like organization. I am definitely a left brain type of girl. As to the OP, some of us just like correct grammar and spelling. If that makes me anal retentive so be it.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.