Old 02-13-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Holy crap. Even Bill Barr has a limit for how much shit he'll put up with.

Or the cynical response is he's just asking that the dirty deeds be done more quietly. Ix-nay on the eets-tway.
The cynical me says "I'm saying this to the press to try and get infront of the blindingly obvious".

We'll know if he's being honest depending on Trump's Twitter feed and/or if he is fired.

Last edited by simster; 02-13-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Or the cynical response is he's just asking that the dirty deeds be done more quietly. Ix-nay on the eets-tway.
There ya go.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Well, this did happen while y'all were talking:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...46304057364481

To which Bloomberg responds:

https://twitter.com/MikeBloomberg/st...068721154?s=20

So, yeah, someone like that... who is an actual Democrat!
"@realDonaldTrump - we know many of the same people in NY. Behind your back they laugh at you & call you a carnival barking clown. They know you inherited a fortune & squandered it with stupid deals and incompetence.
I have the record & the resources to defeat you. And I will."
You know, I don't have an outright favorite among the many Democrats playin right now. And if this is how it's gonna be with Bloomberg then he's right up there in my consideration. What's his numbers look like? Maybe add one to his numbers for the time being.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:04 PM

Not sure where to post this... SOOO many trump threads now. (Where did they all COME from? It wasn't me-- cross my heart!)

Fresh Air this week featured an interview with Jill Wine-Banks who was a Watergate prosecutor. The whole interview is well worth listening to (or you can read the transcript).

The public AND the prosecutors have just found out that Nixon had a taping system in the Oval Office:
Quote:
(DAVE)DAVIES: This is FRESH AIR. And our guest is Jill Wine-Banks. She's an attorney and legal analyst for MSNBC. She was an assistant special prosecutor in the Watergate investigation in the early '70s. She has a new memoir called "Watergate Girl: My Fight For Truth And Justice Against A Criminal President."

You know, it's interesting. So you requested those nine tapes. The Nixon administration said, no, these are private conversations of the president's, that they're subject to executive privilege. And one of the things you write is that as this unfolded in public, his refusal to supply the tapes hurt his support even with his base of supporters. That's again, a difference from what we're seeing today, isn't it?

WINE-BANKS: Yes, although in the Watergate case, there were a lot more complications. At first, he said, this is a hoax in a witch hunt, which sounds dramatically familiar to listeners today. He also simply refused. He just said, I'm not turning them over. Eventually we went public. Archibald Cox, who was the special prosecutor, had a press conference and, in a very moving and dramatic and - full of integrity, said why we needed the tapes and why we had a legal right to have them, which led to the president ordering the attorney general to fire Archibald Cox.

The attorney general said I promised Congress I would not do it without cause, and there is no cause. I will not do it. So he was fired. And the deputy attorney general became attorney general and was ordered to fire Cox. And he also refused, and he was gone. The third person in charge was the solicitor general, who became the acting attorney general, and he carried out the order.

Three days later, public protest was so dramatic, our office and the White House were inundated with bags of mail. This is in the era before email. There were telexes, but other than telexes, there was actual postal mail that we received and the White House received that led Nixon to do a U-turn and say, OK, I'll hire a new special prosecutor. And I'll give you the tapes.

DAVIES: Right. Now, this was the so-called Saturday Night Massacre, right?

WINE-BANKS: Yes.
The bolded part breaks my heart-- "public protest was so dramatic" when Nixon refused to turn over the tapes-- given what we have just seen these past few days.

Jill Wine-Banks talks about listening to the tapes ...
Quote:
WINE-BANKS: Even to this day I remember how devastated and disappointed I was listening because imagining can never be as bad as actually hearing the president committing crimes. And it's not just the expletives, deleted language that was disturbing, but it was the fact that in the Oval Office, these conversations were taking place about paying hush money to make sure that the Watergate burglars never said that they were hired by the White House and the Committee to Reelect, that they were told to commit perjury. One of them was told to leave the country.

And as they planned all this and used unaccounted campaign money, which led to legislation that's been undone by Citizens United, the Supreme Court case, they had so much money that they could spend it. And it's just very disturbing because I was raised to respect the president and the presidency, even if it wasn't someone that I agreed with politically. And so that was a - what I now see as a childhood vision that was just destroyed listening to the president committing crimes.

DAVIES: And you mentioned that some of the women who were transcribing the tapes just...

WINE-BANKS: Yes.

DAVIES: ...Literally had tears on their cheeks.

WINE-BANKS: They did. They cried because they couldn't believe what they were hearing as they listened to this horrible series of conversations. And it's available to anyone who wants to listen through the National Archives. You can listen to these tapes. And it's proof beyond doubt of the president's culpability.
BTW, for those who remember what Bob Haldeman testified, namely:
Quote:
...And Nixon says, yeah, we could get a million dollars. And the version that we first heard of this came from one of the president's, you know, inner circle, Bob Haldeman, at the Senate hearings in which he said, yeah, the president said, yes, we could get a million dollars, we could get it in cash, but it would be wrong....
My bold.

What Nixon REALLY said on the tape:
Quote:
DAVIES: Just for the record, the actual quote from the tapes. The president says, "you could get a million dollars, you could get it in cash. I know where it could be gotten. It is not easy, but it could be done. But the question is, who the hell would handle it? Any ideas on that?" Nothing about it being wrong.
WINE-BANKS: Exactly.
My bold.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:

So why doesn't he quit?
Old 02-13-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
So why doesn't he quit?
I'm guessing that Barr has been hearing, behind the scenes, from Republicans uneasy with the absolute blatancy of the corruption of the DOJ helping Trump's confederates (such as Stone) escape justice, while the Department simultaneously investigates Trump opponents (Durham looking at Brennan and others involved in the Russia probe).

Barr may be hearing that there are rumblings that would make him the fall guy for Trump's amped-up lawlessness, post-acquittal.

So he's trying to head that off with ever-so-slight criticisms of the way Trump has been completely open about his use of the DOJ as a personal instrument of vengeance. As jsc1953 intimated, Barr would like to see Trump be much less open about his use of the Department for fulfilling personal satisfactions.

Barr won't quit unless he sees that as the only way to save himself; he's doing too well out of the current arrangement. Someday we may know the full extent of the rewards he's reaping---beyond the religious-fantasies stuff---by being Trump's henchman. Whatever the full list is, he's not going to give it up voluntarily unless he sees a prison sentence looming.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen
Boris Johnson is supposedly a good Individual 1 buddy, but Individual 1 screamed at Johnson over Johnson's decision to allow Huawei into British 5G networks.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/07/polit...wei/index.html
Also in recent news:

https://thehill.com/policy/national-...autocrats-book

I'm sceptical that Trump's rage was real and that the leak to the press was undesired by the White House.

CNN is as much to blame for Trump as Fox is.
https://thehill.com/policy/technolog...-a-fourth-time

I really would recommend to everyone to stop watching CNN. They are too easily fooled by Kellyanne Conway.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:58 PM

This on-line article concerning an upcoming asteroid near-miss includes this polling tidbit from New Hampshire:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN
In a recent poll, a majority of New Hampshire Democrats said they’d rather a meteor extinguish all human life on Earth than Donald Trump win reelection. Just 36% of Democrats held their nose and picked Trump over the end of humanity.

The other 64% said bring on the meteor!
I hope this is just a bit of Onion-style satire. I hope.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Or he recognizes that Stone will get slapped with double-time, because of Trump's statement, so he can't even wait to get called up in front of Congress, he has to go on the first interview request he gets and deny everything, or else the whole shebang to show everyone that "whistleblowers will be penalized and Omerta will be rewarded" falls apart.

Barr ain't under oath, talking to ABC.

Heck, even when he's talking to Congress, he only needs to be as honest as any paperwork they can get their hands on would show otherwise. If Trump gave him orders in private, mouth to ear, Barr can plead innocence all day everyday.

And, plausibly, Barr was acting entirely of his own to ensure that whistleblowers are punished and Omerta is rewarded. The Deputy AG does the day-to-day work. Barr's job is to be politically active. There's nothing to stop him from being a good employee and working proactively.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 02-13-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
So why doesn't he quit?
What, and give up show business?
Old 02-13-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
The cynical me says "I'm saying this to the press to try and get infront of the blindingly obvious".

We'll know if he's being honest depending on Trump's Twitter feed and/or if he is fired.
That's funny. The cynic in me says that this is totally staged too.

Last edited by Fiveyearlurker; 02-13-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:20 PM

I heard the best term for describing this administration and its efforts to fuck up eveything: "Keystone Coup".
Old 02-13-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
This on-line article concerning an upcoming asteroid near-miss includes this polling tidbit from New Hampshire:

Okay… Dat like really bad attitude.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
I couldn't resist giving you a little stick. Hope you don't mind.
Nah, it’s cool. I had it coming.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So why doesn't he quit?
That may come, in due time. Possibly, he’s currently afflicted with a delusion that we’ve seen play out wrt so many of the America-hating fuckstick’s past appointees: the belief that HE will succeed in tempering the fuckstick’s predilection for outrageous behavior.

It’s an easy trap to fall into. In 1974, when I turned eighteen, I took up smoking cigarettes, just because I found it hard to believe that quitting would REALLY be that difficult for an intelligent, motivated, strong-willed fellow such as I (SPOILER ALERT: I didn’t put them down for good until 2001. And I STILL get the occasional craving).
Old 02-14-2020, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
That may come, in due time. Possibly, he’s currently afflicted with a delusion that we’ve seen play out wrt so many of the America-hating fuckstick’s past appointees: the belief that HE will succeed in tempering the fuckstick’s predilection for outrageous behavior.
Or, like Jeff Sessions before him, he believes that this is his chance to finally abuse the power of law to stick it to the people he's spent his whole life hating (blacks for the former, non-Catholics for the latter), and damned if he's going to let the fact that his enabler is a goddamned moron stand in his way.

Last edited by Smapti; 02-14-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:28 AM

I admit I'm still slightly bemused every time I read a post by Smapti that slams Authority.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
That was my thought exactly upon hearing the news up to and including the use of pig Latin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr
[Trump's tweets] make it impossible for me to do my job
Yes its very hard to conspire to subvert Democracy, when one of your co-conspirators is standing there with a bull horn shouting "Hey, look we're conspiring to subvert Democracy!"

Last edited by Buck Godot; 02-14-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:35 PM

Remember when Republicans thought it was a big deal that the husband of a presidential candidate meeting on a tarmac with the Attorney General. Was it just the location of the meeting that was the problem? Instead of meeting on a plane, if they had just openly colluded on twitter would everything have been fine?
Old 02-14-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post

Hey, if we don't see the meteor coming (somehow), this is my preferred way to die. Just going about my day, la-de-da-de-da, and then WHAM - I'm dead, and everybody who might be unhappy I'm dead is also dead. Sure as hell beats personally suffering and then being mourned and missed after.

So bring it on! Preferably a nice big one, going about 0.1 c. That should do just fine.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

"Shooting a meteor out of a galaxy 2 billion years ago to save the world from Trump by destroying it" is the hard sci-fi I've been waiting for.

Last edited by JohnT; 02-14-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Remember when Republicans thought it was a big deal that the husband of a presidential candidate meeting on a tarmac with the Attorney General. Was it just the location of the meeting that was the problem? Instead of meeting on a plane, if they had just openly colluded on twitter would everything have been fine?
If only we had known.

And boy, this is an excellent touchstone to remember just how far we have fallen from normalcy.

I'm contacting the Senate Judiciary Committee today to demand an investigation into Barr's antics, and you just gave me exactly the opening I wanted. Thank you! (Of course I don't expect they will listen to me, but it's good to make them a little nervous to know people are paying attention.)
Old 02-14-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
If only we had known.

And boy, this is an excellent touchstone to remember just how far we have fallen from normalcy.
The falling has been going on for a while now, accellerating as it goes. Remember when an affair could end a politician's career?
Old 02-14-2020, 03:41 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
"Shooting a meteor out of a galaxy 2 billion years ago to save the world from Trump by destroying it" is the hard sci-fi I've been waiting for.
Not sci-fi. Proof that time travel will be discovered.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:11 PM

The new chief counsel of Department of Homeland Security has a whole six plus years of legal experience. So what qualifies him for the job? He's best friends with Stephen Miller.
https://www.wonkette.com/unqualified...lawyer-at-dhs?
Old 02-14-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
He's best friends with Stephen Miller.
I know this sentence is composed entirely in grammatically correct basic English, but I am having trouble parsing it for some reason.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:34 PM

Is it because Nazis don't have friends they have co-consipirators?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-14-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:45 PM

The latest effort to undermine the rule of law, coming up: Barr Taps Outside Prosecutor to Review Case Against Michael Flynn (Reuters)

Quote:
U.S. Attorney William Barr has tapped the top federal prosecutor in St. Louis to review the Justice Department’s politically-charged case against President Donald Trump’s former national security adviser Michael Flynn, a department official said on Friday.
I wonder what Judge Emmett Sullivan will do.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:51 PM

Aye; this seems totally plausible:
Quote:
The Justice Department official stressed that Jensen’s role was not to oversee career prosecutors’ work on the Flynn case, but to work alongside them.

Jensen is assisting the department and prosecution team “to get a complete and thorough understanding of the facts and the record in a complicated case,” the person told Reuters, speaking anonymously in order to discuss sensitive personnel matters.

Yeah, it's totally plausible that you'd bring in a new guy to teach the existing guys what they've been doing already for years. Totally above-board and nothing to see here...

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-14-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I think this means no one else would have them and only the dipshit in the Oval wants them.
I think you got it. They are slime and scum. And everyone knows it. And the fact that they were abused and fired and then abused some more, and are now crawling back, shows how fucking slimy they are.

Last edited by SteveG1; 02-14-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
I think you got it. They are slime and scum. And everyone knows it. And the fact that they were abused and fired and then abused some more, and are now crawling back, shows how fucking slimy they are.
Someone with better video editing skills than me could put together quite the droll montage, of Trump praising one his new team members to the skies, then the news report of that person quitting/being fired, followed by Trump's tweet saying they were losers and morons and never-Trumpers from Day 1. Sessions, McMasters, Kelly, Omarosa, Tillerson....lots to choose from.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Donnie is having a no-good very-bad day.
  • Former Chief of Staff John Kelly is saying mean things about him in public, including defending Col. Vindman.
  • The Senate just voted to require that he get congressional approval before doing anything stupid in Iran. 8 Republicans crossed party lines to vote Yes.
  • A judge just ruled in favor of Amazon (Trump's nemesis) and ordered work to halt on Microsoft's multi-billion dollar defense contract.
  • And the DOJ / Roger Stone shit-show keeps on rolling.
It did not get better for him today, as DoJ decided to cease their explorations of Andrew McCabes closets due to lack of any evidence of dead girls or live boys.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
It did not get better for him today, as DoJ decided to cease their explorations of Andrew McCabes closets due to lack of any evidence of dead girls or live boys.
I knew that fuckin Barr was part of the Deep State.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borborygmi View Post
I know this sentence is composed entirely in grammatically correct basic English, but I am having trouble parsing it for some reason.
Stephen Miller looks like Lurch and Nosferatu had a child, yet imparted none of their charm.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
Stephen Miller looks like Lurch and Nosferatu had a child, yet imparted none of their charm.
Though at least he does have the ability to do Nosferatu's 'elevate from lying down to standing with feet as the hinge' thing. That often comes in handy when Trump gets bored with whatever's on Fox and Friends. "Get Stephen in to do his Nosferatu move!"

Sometimes he does it with his little Nazi outfit on, and that's even more entertaining!
Old 02-15-2020, 07:42 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Though at least he does have the ability to do Nosferatu's 'elevate from lying down to standing with feet as the hinge' thing. That often comes in handy when Trump gets bored with whatever's on Fox and Friends. "Get Stephen in to do his Nosferatu move!"

Sometimes he does it with his little Nazi outfit on, and that's even more entertaining!
You made me think of his little Nazi rising to attention. For shame!!!!
Old 02-15-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
You made me think of his little Nazi rising to attention. For shame!!!!
Which raises the question: can a vampire even have an erection? The have no circulating blood, do they? Especially a Nazi chief vampire....
Old 02-15-2020, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

If they don't have circulation then the steak through the heart thing doesn't make much sense, but I make no claim of expertise on vamparism
Old 02-15-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
If they don't have circulation then the steak through the heart thing doesn't make much sense, but I make no claim of expertise on vamparism
I would like to bold the "steak" but I'm not sure if that's allowed. It makes for a hillariou mental image.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Which raises the question: can a vampire even have an erection? The have no circulating blood, do they? Especially a Nazi chief vampire....
True Blood seemed to think so. Those vampires were always fucking like bunnies.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Loser Donald must have been bored stiff after the rain ruined his golf today, because he thought it was a good idea to retweet an audio clip of a Texas politician using the bathroom.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Now I want a steak.

Bone-in rib, medium rare, with thick slices of slightly underdone cremini mushrooms.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 02-15-2020 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Added mushrooms
Old 02-15-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
True Blood seemed to think so. Those vampires were always fucking like bunnies.
I read that as "fucking bunnies." I think that means my damned eyes are tired.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:33 AM

Individual 1 staffer Larry Kudlow trying to explain to Fox News's Jesse Watters that the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Census Bureau are not government agencies.
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1228856989993717760
Old 02-16-2020, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Now I want a steak.

Bone-in rib, medium rare, with thick slices of slightly underdone cremini mushrooms.
Here ya go, Ukulele Ike:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasaeon View Post
Erg, seriously, people, all this talk is making me crave my great, big, juicy mushrooms.

I can't wait!
(Hint: You gotta read the whole thread that came from, or at least the first 50 posts, to get the whole context. Mushroom ensued.)
Old 02-16-2020, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Here ya go, Ukulele Ike:
(Hint: You gotta read the whole thread that came from, or at least the first 50 posts, to get the whole context. Mushroom ensued.)
Holy crap, man, I got forty posts in before noticing that that stuff is fifteen years old. You could, maybe, make a note of that.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
What IS IT with some Nazis? They just have a certain look. I think with Miller it's the dead eyes.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
What IS IT with some Nazis? They just have a certain look. I think with Miller it's the dead eyes.
Well, fencing scars are out of fashion these days, and you've got to find some way to show off how awful a human being you are, right?
Old 02-16-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Now I want a steak.

Dammit, now I want a steak, and I haven't got anything thawed. You bastard.

You have to season it and let it sort of absorb it before searing it and getting that rare center to just where it stops mooing. Sublime. I can taste it.

But you lost me at mushrooms. I've tried them but I just don't......get it. Like olives. Or cilantro. Is it genetic? The texture makes me want to hork.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Dammit, now I want a steak, and I haven't got anything thawed. You bastard.

You have to season it and let it sort of absorb it before searing it and getting that rare center to just where it stops mooing. Sublime. I can taste it.

But you lost me at mushrooms. I've tried them but I just don't......get it. Like olives. Or cilantro. Is it genetic? The texture makes me want to hork.
I purchased two Scanga Meat (local company) tenderloins yesterday. Very $ but worth it as we only don't do steak that often. I don't bother with anything else from the grocery store or wherever.

I'm with you on the mushrooms. I don't mind TOO much if I have to pick them off a piece of pizza. To me, there is know point in them. Have at it if you like 'em. You can have all of mine.

Olives I love, but cilantro is, I believe genetic. Cilantro is OK provided it's just a bit.