Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:35 AM
scarface54345 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 29

Ever notice how some PhD holder are incredibly arrogant and think of themselves as gods?


I guess the words "doctor of philosophy" are what give them the wrong idea of them being so godly or godlike. Anyway, I was reading about how a PhD advisor said "Listen I'm the boss here. If you don't like that, then get out of my classroom". That is what really opened up my eyes of PhD arrogance though for some reason I did not realize it sooner...

TITLE EDIT: *holders

Last edited by scarface54345; 02-13-2019 at 09:36 AM.
  #2  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:39 AM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,621

Ever notice how some PhD holder are incredibly arrogant and think of themselves as gods?


No.
  #3  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:41 AM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 45,784
I don't understand. Was this person a teacher who happened to have a PhD? Was it a professor who was advising grad students? Are PhDs the only teachers who wish to maintain control in the classroom? Is a teacher not the boss?

I've worked with many PhDs and we are no more or less humble than the general population - much more humble than rich people. Nothing like getting hammered on by your advisor to build humility.
So, please explain.
  #4  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:42 AM
snfaulkner's Avatar
snfaulkner is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 7,552
Ever notice how some people are just assholes? Some have PhD's. Some are high school dropouts. Some have brown hair.
__________________
It may be because I'm a drooling simpleton with the attention span of a demented gnat, but would you mind explaining everything in words of one syllable. 140 chars max.
  #5  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:45 AM
Hamlet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Where the Wild Things Are
Posts: 14,286
Is this the start of your new standup act?

You ever notice how PhD holders are arrogant? And airline food. Oof, don't get me started.
  #6  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:52 AM
RTFirefly is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 38,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Is this the start of your new standup act?

You ever notice how PhD holders are arrogant? And airline food. Oof, don't get me started.
Wait, airlines still serve food?
  #7  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:22 AM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Wait, airlines still serve food?
If you book the right flight. Took the family on a trip to Hawaii in early 2017, and Aloha Airlines fed us a meal in both directions.
  #8  
Old 02-14-2019, 12:57 PM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Cheesesteak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 13,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
If you book the right flight. Took the family on a trip to Hawaii in early 2017, and Aloha Airlines fed us a meal in both directions.
That's nice, but prefer my meals to go only one direction.
  #9  
Old 02-17-2019, 05:47 AM
Brayne Ded is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
If you book the right flight. Took the family on a trip to Hawaii in early 2017, and Aloha Airlines fed us a meal in both directions.
Dat wuz a joke.
  #10  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:49 AM
RTFirefly is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 38,804
I have a low opinion of PhDs who feel a need to generally advertise the fact that they've got one, like signing emails "Fred Smith, PhD" or shit like that.

A good example is former Trump Administration clown Sebastian Gorka, who has "Sebastian Gorka DrG" as his Twitter handle. Congrats, dude, and the rest of us are so impressed.
  #11  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:18 AM
DPRK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I have a low opinion of PhDs who feel a need to generally advertise the fact that they've got one, like signing emails "Fred Smith, PhD" or shit like that.
Giggle-worthy. You need at least 3-4 more PhDs, DScs, and habilitations before you can pull that off.
  #12  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:57 AM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 58,870
And what's the deal with socks? Why do they come with that little hanger? Are there people who have sock closets?
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #13  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:09 AM
Hamlet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Where the Wild Things Are
Posts: 14,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
And what's the deal with socks? Why do they come with that little hanger? Are there people who have sock closets?
You ever notice how white guys dance like this, but black dudes dance like this?
  #14  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Hamlet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Where the Wild Things Are
Posts: 14,286
Ever notice how the black box survives a plane crash? Why don't they make the whole plane out of it?
  #15  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:20 AM
Hamlet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Where the Wild Things Are
Posts: 14,286
Ever notice how men don't ask for directions? Just pull over and ask someone. Please.

Last edited by Hamlet; 02-13-2019 at 11:21 AM.
  #16  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:22 AM
Hamlet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Where the Wild Things Are
Posts: 14,286
Ever notice how kids these days never seem to have heard of a belt?
  #17  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:57 AM
Gus Gusterson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: US
Posts: 1,518
I once worked with a guy who insisted that everyone call him Doctor. His surname was Bates, so we were expected to call him Doctor Bates. I once asked him what other degrees he had. He was all too happy to talk about his two Masters degrees. I asked, "What did people call you when you only had the Masters degrees but not the PhD?" He was confused so I followed up with, "Did they call you Master?" He didn't find it funny.
  #18  
Old 02-13-2019, 05:16 PM
Two Many Cats is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gusterson View Post
I once worked with a guy who insisted that everyone call him Doctor. His surname was Bates, so we were expected to call him Doctor Bates. I once asked him what other degrees he had. He was all too happy to talk about his two Masters degrees. I asked, "What did people call you when you only had the Masters degrees but not the PhD?" He was confused so I followed up with, "Did they call you Master?" He didn't find it funny.
That's because they called him Maestro.
  #19  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:59 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,215
And what's with those MDs, insisting that we call them "Doctor" and listen to them about their medical opinions? The cheek of it!
  #20  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:15 AM
Half Man Half Wit's Avatar
Half Man Half Wit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,747
I do consider myself godlike, but that's due to my omniscience, omnipotence and omnipresence, not the PhD.
  #21  
Old 02-15-2019, 11:02 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 83,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
I do consider myself godlike, but that's due to my omniscience, omnipotence and omnipresence, not the PhD.
"if I had two wishes, first I'd want to be the All Being, master of time, space and dimension. Then I'd want to go to Europe." - Steve Martin
  #22  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:18 AM
Tatterdemalion is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 590
It's been my experience that anyone who puts phd in his email sig is an asshole.

That said, I have met many phd types who don't put it in their email sigs and are very nice people.

In spite of their inherent disadvantages.
  #23  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:28 AM
bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 17,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface54345 View Post
I guess the words "doctor of philosophy" are what give them the wrong idea of them being so godly or godlike. Anyway, I was reading about how a PhD advisor said "Listen I'm the boss here. If you don't like that, then get out of my classroom". That is what really opened up my eyes of PhD arrogance though for some reason I did not realize it sooner...

TITLE EDIT: *holders
I think they just aren't excited to be teaching undergraduates in a lot of cases, or are trying to set boundaries versus a classroom of 300 people.

I noticed a drastic difference in professorial attitude between undergraduate and graduate school. In undergrad, they were usually somewhat aloof and tended to have strict rules, but in grad school they were much more congenial and open- there was a lot less of the authoritarian type stuff, and a lot more treatment as a colleague. I mean, our grad school profs went to lunch with us on occasion, which was something undergrad ones NEVER did.
  #24  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:30 AM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface54345 View Post
I guess the words "doctor of philosophy" are what give them the wrong idea of them being so godly or godlike. Anyway, I was reading about how a PhD advisor said "Listen I'm the boss here. If you don't like that, then get out of my classroom".
I actually see nothing wrong with this statement. PhD was probably talking some snot-nose little punk basterd.
__________________
"God hates Facts"

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
  #25  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:34 AM
digs's Avatar
digs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,556
Heck, we go out for a beer with our students (mostly undergrads) after evening classes.

I've never "pulled rank" on students. If you have to, you've already lost their respect... and will only lose more if you say "Because I have a degree that you don't!"
  #26  
Old 02-14-2019, 04:19 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Heck, we go out for a beer with our students (mostly undergrads) after evening classes.

I've never "pulled rank" on students. If you have to, you've already lost their respect... and will only lose more if you say "Because I have a degree that you don't!"
The spouse, who has a PhD and teaches undergraduates, has been known to drop a "Look, I'm not saying all this stuff for my benefit - I already have my degrees" from time to time to make a point about paying fucking attention in class.

She doesn't bang people over the head with her PhD but does insist that, when titles are used, the correct one is employed. So she's fine being called by name, but don't call her Ms or Mrs.
  #27  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:35 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 22,530
And, seriously! What sort of Doctor only treats philosophers? Isn't that discrimination? Hell, are there enough philosophers... even sick ones... for one to make a living off treating sick people who use 20 words when 3 will do?

Buncha jackwipes, the lot of them!

Last edited by JohnT; 02-13-2019 at 10:35 AM.
  #28  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:41 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 44,105
I'm a Doctor of Philosophy. (really!)

Tell me what you believe and I'll tell you if it's sick.
__________________
Who is the Calypso Singer that rides Pegasus?
Harry Bellerophonte
  #29  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:54 AM
digs's Avatar
digs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I'm a Doctor of Philosophy. (really!)

Tell me what you believe and I'll tell you if it's sick.
Oh, thanks, doc. You don't know how long I've had to wait for other PhD's. My primary care "Phud" is booked til May, and there's a $29.99 copay from my HMO.

Anyhow, I've got a pain right here... and I think it's because I tried to layer Suburban Angst over Nihilistic Ennui. Can you prescribe anything for that?
  #30  
Old 02-13-2019, 12:14 PM
SingleMalt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Front Range
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I'm a Doctor of Philosophy. (really!)

Tell me what you believe and I'll tell you if it's sick.
But, do you have a poster of Rasputin
and a beard down to your knee?
  #31  
Old 02-13-2019, 02:22 PM
gregorio is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I'm a Doctor of Philosophy. (really!)

Tell me what you believe and I'll tell you if it's sick.
Does this look infected to you?
  #32  
Old 02-13-2019, 12:31 PM
Red Wiggler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,798
"Piled Higher and Deeper."

Said by the Dean of Academics at the college where I work. He and I both liked the huge majority of our campus PhDs, though. Very few were and are pretentious types.
  #33  
Old 02-13-2019, 12:34 PM
Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,150
Ever notice how some moms are incredibly arrogant and tell people to put their dirty clothes in the hamper instead of on the floor, and keep yelling at them to go out and look for a job when they're just trying to play Fortnite in the basement?
  #34  
Old 02-13-2019, 12:50 PM
Swampwolf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 2,003
Taking the OP seriously for a moment, I can't speak to PhDs in general, but I know my father is a PhD with a law degree, and he insists on putting as many letters after his name as he can.
He will also tell all medical personnel, "You don't have to dumb it down for me--I'm a doctor"

Granted, he's the smartest motherfucker I know. But he's also among the most arrogant.
  #35  
Old 02-13-2019, 01:06 PM
Great Antibob is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwolf View Post
Taking the OP seriously for a moment,
See post #4 above.

It's the response the OP needs. More than it deserves, though.
  #36  
Old 02-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 14,290
I had an English professor who laid down the law the first day of class, and added "If you don't like this, drop/add is just around the corner." I didn't think he regarded himself as a god.
  #37  
Old 02-13-2019, 01:06 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,379
Ah yes. Research lab where I worked as a summer student. One of the lab jockeys insisted that everyone call him DOCTOR Taylor, since, you know, he had the coveted Ph.D. I'm not sure that he knew that this degree was a dime a dozen around there. He was well known as a joke.

Best time was when he shoved some papers at the lab receptionist, and told her "TYPE THESE UP NOW". (She did some typing work for folks who had no support services, ,when time allowed her). He left, and she looked right at me - stuffed the papers in the very bottom of her in basket and said "He'll be lucky to see this by next month".

Made an impression on me at the time.
  #38  
Old 02-13-2019, 01:22 PM
Ravenman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 25,961
I'm godlike with just a master's degree. If I had stuck around for a PhD, I'd have some serious Thanos shit going on, and that's just too much power.
  #39  
Old 02-16-2019, 12:40 AM
Melbourne is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Best time was when he shoved some papers at the lab receptionist, and told her "TYPE THESE UP NOW". (She did some typing work for folks who had no support services, ,when time allowed her). He left, and she looked right at me - stuffed the papers in the very bottom of her in basket and said "He'll be lucky to see this by next month".
He speaks to the gods, and so may any man, but does she listen?

I have a relative who was a research physicist before he went into finance. He's not arrogant, but but having a PhD in nuclear physics stands him in good stead when in a room full of pricks who think they are smart because they made their first million before they were 25.

My first university valued persons according to their academic merit. It wasn't all good: if you failed to learn something, it was because you were a lower level of being. But it wasn't all bad either: I never knew the lecturers to get their facts wrong at all, which is more difficult than it sounds, even when teaching undergraduates.
  #40  
Old 02-13-2019, 02:57 PM
monstro is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 20,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
It's been my experience that anyone who puts phd in his email sig is an asshole.

That said, I have met many phd types who don't put it in their email sigs and are very nice people.
I put "PhD" in the signature of my work emails. I don't go around introducing myself as "Doctor monstro" and I don't request that people address me that way. But I do have my degree in my sig, just like everyone I work with who has a Ph.D or professional certification (like PE's).

At first I didn't do this...thinking someone would accuse me of braggadociousness if I did. But it was an old boss of mine who told me to do it. He was banking on the fact he had a PhD on his staff, and he wanted everyone to know it.

It has been my experience that the only people who seem to have a real problem with this convention are people nursing an inferiority complex.

At any rate, despite my signature, it is a common occurence for associates of mine (including coworkers) to be surprised when they find out that I have a PhD. It is usually discovered when they hear someone else joking around with me by calling me "doctor". So it doesn't appear that very many people even notice those letters in my signature. Except for folks are who are inclined to feel butthurt, I suppose.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
__________________
What the hell is a signature?
  #41  
Old 02-13-2019, 03:54 PM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 45,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
I put "PhD" in the signature of my work emails. I don't go around introducing myself as "Doctor monstro" and I don't request that people address me that way. But I do have my degree in my sig, just like everyone I work with who has a Ph.D or professional certification (like PE's).

At first I didn't do this...thinking someone would accuse me of braggadociousness if I did. But it was an old boss of mine who told me to do it. He was banking on the fact he had a PhD on his staff, and he wanted everyone to know it.
My experience has been that those working in places with almost no PhDs use the title far more than those working in places with lots. My department at Bell Labs was 50% PhD, and no one used it. When someone called my boss doctor, he said that he never used it because he didn't want anyone asking for advice on a headache.
The only exception was one university where a fair number of professors did not have doctorates, and where "Doctor X" was thus higher prestige than "Professor X."
  #42  
Old 02-13-2019, 04:38 PM
Great Antibob is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
where "Doctor X" was thus higher prestige than "Professor X."
Brave souls to risk the ire of a man who can melt their brains with a thought.
  #43  
Old 02-13-2019, 08:35 PM
monstro is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 20,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
My experience has been that those working in places with almost no PhDs use the title far more than those working in places with lots. My department at Bell Labs was 50% PhD, and no one used it. When someone called my boss doctor, he said that he never used it because he didn't want anyone asking for advice on a headache.
The only exception was one university where a fair number of professors did not have doctorates, and where "Doctor X" was thus higher prestige than "Professor X."
Ph.D's are quite uncommon in my agency (though their numbers are increasing), so anyone who has one gets noticed. But the only time anyone non-ironically calls me "Doctor" is when my boss introduces me at a public meeting before I step up to give a presentation. I don't know if the public cares, but I think such formality is reasonable in that limited context.

Out of curiosity, I did a random search through my inbox to see if the professors I'm in regular correspondence with have Ph.D in their signatures. About half of them do.
  #44  
Old 02-13-2019, 05:45 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
I put "PhD" in the signature of my work emails. I don't go around introducing myself as "Doctor monstro" and I don't request that people address me that way. But I do have my degree in my sig, just like everyone I work with who has a Ph.D or professional certification (like PE's).

At first I didn't do this...thinking someone would accuse me of braggadociousness if I did. But it was an old boss of mine who told me to do it. He was banking on the fact he had a PhD on his staff, and he wanted everyone to know it.

It has been my experience that the only people who seem to have a real problem with this convention are people nursing an inferiority complex.

At any rate, despite my signature, it is a common occurence for associates of mine (including coworkers) to be surprised when they find out that I have a PhD. It is usually discovered when they hear someone else joking around with me by calling me "doctor". So it doesn't appear that very many people even notice those letters in my signature. Except for folks are who are inclined to feel butthurt, I suppose.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
We donít mind the PhD thing so much, really. Itís the Tapatalk shout-out that pisses us off...
  #45  
Old 02-13-2019, 07:31 PM
Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 31,645
I'll happily grant PhDs the right to call themselves "Doctor" all they want, including at restaurants so the front staff can call out "Doctor Nudnik" when their table is ready, when making appointments for hair styling etc.

Lots more palatable than the legion of rug doctors, basement doctors, doctors of chiropractic and such that litter the landscape.
  #46  
Old 02-13-2019, 03:32 PM
typoink is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,763
In my experience, this is LESS true of PhDs than other terminal degrees. JDs and MDs, in my experience, often seem to think they are equivalently knowledgeable in subjects outside their specialty. Engineers and economists are also kinda famous for thinking anything that ISN'T their specialty is less important.

I think most PhDs learn a dose of humility in their slog and are often acutely aware of how narrow their specialized knowledge is. Where PhDs DO get brusque, in my experience, is when a non-studied person decides to educate them about their area of expertise.
  #47  
Old 02-13-2019, 04:52 PM
don't mind me is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
I put "PhD" in the signature of my work emails. I don't go around introducing myself as "Doctor monstro" and I don't request that people address me that way. But I do have my degree in my sig, just like everyone I work with who has a Ph.D or professional certification (like PE's).

At first I didn't do this...thinking someone would accuse me of braggadociousness if I did. But it was an old boss of mine who told me to do it. He was banking on the fact he had a PhD on his staff, and he wanted everyone to know it.

It has been my experience that the only people who seem to have a real problem with this convention are people nursing an inferiority complex.

At any rate, despite my signature, it is a common occurence for associates of mine (including coworkers) to be surprised when they find out that I have a PhD. It is usually discovered when they hear someone else joking around with me by calling me "doctor". So it doesn't appear that very many people even notice those letters in my signature. Except for folks are who are inclined to feel butthurt, I suppose.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
I would have enormous respect - and fear - of a Dr. Monstro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
In my experience, this is LESS true of PhDs than other terminal degrees. JDs and MDs, in my experience, often seem to think they are equivalently knowledgeable in subjects outside their specialty. Engineers and economists are also kinda famous for thinking anything that ISN'T their specialty is less important.

I think most PhDs learn a dose of humility in their slog and are often acutely aware of how narrow their specialized knowledge is. Where PhDs DO get brusque, in my experience, is when a non-studied person decides to educate them about their area of expertise.
Absolutely. MS's and MA's I've encountered in the real world will counter the slightest quibble with their expertise respond with a snotty, "I have a master's degree." One said that to a friend who, unbeknownst to the snob, had the identical degree. Deliciously deflated by a simple "So do I."
  #48  
Old 02-13-2019, 05:11 PM
Swampwolf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by don't mind me View Post
I would have enormous respect - and fear - of a Dr. Monstro.
I'd totally be a minion. Sure, the fringe benefits would probably be crap, but the business cards would look cool as hell!
  #49  
Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 PM
andros is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Dejagore
Posts: 10,568
..

Last edited by andros; 02-13-2019 at 07:48 PM.
  #50  
Old 02-13-2019, 03:55 PM
Ace309 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface54345 View Post
I guess the words "doctor of philosophy" are what give them the wrong idea of them being so godly or godlike. Anyway, I was reading about how a PhD advisor said "Listen I'm the boss here. If you don't like that, then get out of my classroom". That is what really opened up my eyes of PhD arrogance though for some reason I did not realize it sooner...

TITLE EDIT: *holders
Did you ever notice how sometimes people comment on interpersonal dynamics they're poorly equipped to understand?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017