Old 02-16-2019, 06:34 PM

Jussie Smollett - Say It Ain't So

It appears Jussie PAID his attackers and staged his racist mugging.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/16/enter...ack/index.html

Oh, fuck. I'm really hoping this isn't true. Really, REALLY hoping, but not looking that way. The Orange Dick Suckers will eat this up as "proof" that libruls are the evil ones.

Here's HR too:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...report-1187477

Jussie has hired Michael Cohen's defense attorney. [tires screech, record scratches]

Last edited by Locrian; 02-16-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:54 PM

And this is why we can’t have nice things. It sounded fake from the start which is probably why there weren’t 10+ threads on the attack. A smile and a MAGA hat gave several posters the fits. You’d think if the details in this so-called case were true this board wouldn’t be able to suppress its righteous anger and indignation.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
And this is why we canít have nice things. It sounded fake from the start which is probably why there werenít 10+ threads on the attack. A smile and a MAGA hat gave several posters the fits. Youíd think if the details in this so-called case were true this board wouldnít be able to suppress its righteous anger and indignation.
It's almost like the posters on this board are able to detect bullshit, and not go into paroxysms of outrage when someone is quite obviously making up outrageous shit... even if they are "on our side".

This is something you should be celebrating, and aspire to be more like.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:04 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

I had never heard of him before this. Thatís not a criticism of his fame or talent. He just wasnít in anything that I watched. Nor am I a Trump supporter so I wasnít triggered by the MAGA references. There was nothing to give me an emotional knee-jerk reaction in any direction.

From the beginning something was setting off my bullshit detector. Things just didnít add up. Many improbable things had to of happened at once for his story to be true. Since there are no name sources and no official word the true story stil isnít out. It will be interesting to see what happens in the end.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
From the beginning something was setting off my bullshit detector. Things just didnít add up. Many improbable things had to of happened at once for his story to be true. Since there are no name sources and no official word the true story stil isnít out. It will be interesting to see what happens in the end.

I liked this comment at The Root:

Quote:
I havenít hurled any slurs at him for either being black or gay. I donít speak for everyone nor perhaps even a majority. I called BS on his story early on because I know that neighborhood probably better than Smollett does, and I know that in Chicago (a city of 2 political parties: Democrats and those who lose to Democrats), and especially that part of town, sightings of MAGA-hat-wearing Republicans at 2:00 a.m. on sub-zero windchill night carrying rope and bleach is less common than having my balls licked by a unicorn.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:31 PM

When I first heard this story I was sympathetic until I heard about a rope. Here's what I said: "A rope? Are you fucking kidding me??"
I, of course, have no idea if the story is true. How could I know? I know that if you're black and gay and looking for an accepting place, you could do worse than Streeterville downtown Chicago at night. Crime there isn't going to give a fuck about your blackness or gayness.
I mean, a fucking rope?!? And I believe that I read that when the cops showed up at his place, he still had it on.
I hope he ain't making this up, and that he experiences justice.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

His drug is a heartbreaker.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:00 PM

Yeah, when I first heard about this, I thought it sounded strange. I thought Streeterville? WTF? Nobody's wandering Streeterville at 2 am, looking for minorities to harrass. Especially when it's so fucking cold out.

And usually racist attacks in Chicago are just plain beat downs, like the Lenard Clark case. Thugs will just pound on you or shoot you. They aren't going to be carrying around stuff like rope nooses. That's dumb.

And instead of some hapless homeless guy that Trump loving bigots would likely target, or some Hispanic restaurant worker on his way home after closing, these MAGA goons pick on a famous TV star who's wandering around coldass deserted Streeterville at two in the morning.
Um, yeah right.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:05 PM

They need to throw the book at this guy. Incidents like this undermine public confidence in the reporting of actual hate crimes, of which there are many.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:22 PM

Well, he's boned.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:25 PM

So the thesis here is that the story was so outrageous there was no reason to debate it unlike the Covington brouhaha?

Yeah, I can see that. That makes you guys magnitudes smarter than any Root, Deadspin, AV Club poster or author around the time of the attack
Old 02-16-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
So the thesis here is that the story was so outrageous there was no reason to debate it...
Yeah, pretty much. I can guess that you didn't start a debate about it for, um, reasons?
Old 02-16-2019, 08:51 PM

(Shrug) No skin. My position would have been "Hold a gun to my head and I'll vote hoax in a poll"

And "For this to be true, ihe would have to have been targeted and stalked from his hotel." Which wasn't impossible, but seems unlikely.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:01 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
So the thesis here is that the story was so outrageous there was no reason to debate it unlike the Covington brouhaha?

Yeah, I can see that. That makes you guys magnitudes smarter than any Root, Deadspin, AV Club poster or author around the time of the attack
I have no idea what youíre talking about. What does that even mean? I do know plenty of people were questioning it from the beginning.

2am in subzero temperatures 2 bigots happened to be walking around that part of Chicago with bleach and a rope to attack someone.

These bigots apparently were Empire fans because they knew he was openly gay.

The incident coincidentally happened during the only 60 seconds that he was not on camera. And amazingly everything that happened occurred only within those 60 seconds.

Coincidentally he happened to be on the phone with his manager at 2 AM when he was out getting a sandwich.

I will take the word of others who are more knowledgeable about the nature of the neighborhood but apparently itís not exactly known for roving bands of Trump supporters.

Iím probably forgetting some details and that was even before it turned out they were not only not white but that they also worked on the show with him.

It was not enough for me to reach a conclusion as to what really happened but enough improbabilities in one 60 second timeframe to raise my eyebrow to Spock-like proportions.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:22 PM

Someone in this thread implied that the reason there wasn't a Covington long debate was because just about everyone at SD thought it was bullshit.

I said "cool". That makes everyone here smarter than 99% of the people in the Gizmodo groups.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:25 PM

The "unknown chemical substance" seemed strange to me. As in why wouldn't they say what it was after he'd been to a hospital/doctor. And no damages from said substance. I thought he exaggerated that part. But hiring people to do this is really fucked. What's weird is how people hope it to be true, which can help show the racism in maga-crap, even though it's already obvious. Why need these events in the first place? I guess Jussie didn't care about that.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Prior to this incident I had never heard of the guy and was only vaguely aware of the show he is in. A quick glance at his Wikipedia page shows that his career was doing really well at the moment. Is there any reason why he would need to notoriety right now or to be more relevant? Why the hell would he do this?
Old 02-16-2019, 09:38 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Someone in this thread implied that the reason there wasn't a Covington long debate was because just about everyone at SD thought it was bullshit.

I said "cool". That makes everyone here smarter than 99% of the people in the Gizmodo groups.
Sorry I took your tone wrong.

Maybe no one here was interested enough to start a thread? I debated it. At the time I was not quite interested enough to put the effort in to start a thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Prior to this incident I had never heard of the guy and was only vaguely aware of the show he is in. A quick glance at his Wikipedia page shows that his career was doing really well at the moment. Is there any reason why he would need to notoriety right now or to be more relevant? Why the hell would he do this?
Thatís the big question (if the sources are correct). Originally there was a rumor that he was about to be dropped from the show. Fox has denied that. But who knows maybe they just didnít want to kick him while he was down. This behavior might be an indication why they were looking to get rid of him. Maybe he was acting kooky on the set. I donít know one way the other. Or maybe he thought this was a good idea to fire up some anti-Trump feelings. He is apparently very active in social justice.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
...What's weird is how people hope it to be true, ...
As I've said, I for one suspect it's not. But then again, I hope he's not lying about it, because if he is he's rather fucked.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:49 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
As I've said, I for one suspect it's not. But then again, I hope he's not lying about it, because if he is he's rather fucked.
Wading into the swamp that is comment sections of news articles there was a lot of us vs them rooting. Mention of the alledged MAGA comment turned it into that for many.

Last edited by Loach; 02-16-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:54 PM

Yeah, and from a local level the Chicago PD isn't going to be real thrilled with him for trying to fuck with them. National news and such. Of course, you know, if that's what he did.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

News reports now say that they caught the guys who did it. Smolett was acquainted with them and they told police that he hired them to do it.

The conspiracy theorists are claiming that he is friends with Senator Harris and he did it to help her pass her anti-lynching bill a couple of days ago.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:46 PM

Smollett was on national television just 2 days ago speaking with Robin Roberts where he was doubling down on his claims and saying people who doubted him would believe the story if the attackers had been black or Muslim. And Michael Cohen's attorney is representing him now.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and from a local level the Chicago PD isn't going to be real thrilled with him for trying to fuck with them. National news and such. Of course, you know, if that's what he did.
I think they knew early on. They're not in a position to disagree with the narrative given Chicago PD's past history.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
It appears Jussie PAID his attackers and staged his racist mugging.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/16/enter...ack/index.html

Oh, fuck. I'm really hoping this isn't true. Really, REALLY hoping, but not looking that way. The Orange Dick Suckers will eat this up as "proof" that libruls are the evil ones.
Well no, He's just one person and he will be judged by his actions. But when you use terms like "Orange Dick Suckers" the same process holds true for you.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Why the hell would he do this?
That's the question that never seems to get asked after this type of hoax is exposed. Shortly after the 2016 election I started a thread mentioning the sizable number of hate crimes and incidents where people claimed to have been attacked by roving gangs of white men wearing MAGA hats or chanting Trump-related slogans. Fake racist incidents have continued happening since then, but no one seems to want to discuss why.

Here are two possible explanations.

1. Some people play the role of a victim in order to get sympathy, attention, and praise for their courageous response to the supposed hate crime. (I would say that anyone who actually goes so far as to physically injure themself while doing this must be mentally ill.)

2. Leftists live in a narrative in which racial minorities, women, gays, other groups are always defined as victims of white men or "society" in general. A leftist must always be promoting the narrative and must never question it. Phony hate crimes can be used to prop up the narrative.

So for Smollet it might be 1 or 2 or a bit of both or something else. Some people certainly jumped straight to using the attack for political purposes, though that does not prove anything about Smollett's motivation.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:54 PM

When this case first emerged, I figured there had been an altercation of some sort but nothing like what Smollett was claiming. The new developments are considerably more bizarre than anything I could have predicted.

I suspect this will degenerate further into a he-said-they-said, true believers will continue to back Smollett, various sides will exploit their own angles for political gain and self-gratification, no one will ever be convicted of anything, and new faux scandals will emerge to take the place of this one.

Just wish Huey Freeman was still here to provide us with his unique insights.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:11 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
When this case first emerged, I figured there had been an altercation of some sort but nothing like what Smollett was claiming. The new developments are considerably more bizarre than anything I could have predicted.

I suspect this will degenerate further into a he-said-they-said, true believers will continue to back Smollett, various sides will exploit their own angles for political gain and self-gratification, no one will ever be convicted of anything, and new faux scandals will emerge to take the place of this one.

Just wish Huey Freeman was still here to provide us with his unique insights.
Itís getting much harder to do the mental gymnastics involved in backing him.

The latest I saw on Snopes was that one of the suspects is his personal trainer. Iíve seen people try to say if they were just extras on the show he might not have known them. Hard to say that about his personal trainer. At this point I donít know if they have Nigerian accents. If so that makes it even more ridiculous to think he could have mistook them for Random white guy attacking him. If he didnít know the guys well I could buy that He mistakenly thought it was a random attack when he was actually targeted. But his personal trainer? One more improbable on a stack of improbables.

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2019/02/16...ole-in-attack/
Old 02-17-2019, 12:29 AM

People be needin' better hobbies.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
A smile and a MAGA hat gave several posters the fits. Youíd think if the details in this so-called case were true this board wouldnít be able to suppress its righteous anger and indignation.
I heard a pundit (who I happen to dislike) make an interesting point, that uttering the "MAGA" slogan while assaulting someone is far more prevalent as a caricature that exists in some people's minds than something that would conceivably happen in reality. And that's because MAGA represents positive feelings to its adherents while some on the other side see it as negative xenophobia.

I don't necessarily agree or have any strong opinion on what "MAGA" represents among all who have bought in. If other details of Smollett's story had been more plausible and had included that utterance, I do expect quite a few here would have become irrationally fixated on that part of the account and trying to connect it with other dots.

[Sorry OP, for repeating mention of Cohen's attorney. I somehow missed that. ]
Old 02-17-2019, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
I suspect this will degenerate further into a he-said-they-said,
Not likely. There is already video of one of them working out in his building which likely means his apartment. They can also connect the 2 men to the store nearby where the rope was purchased and there are pictures of them wearing black hoods. Their story is checking out much better than his.

There's no sign of a serious beat-down so Smollett is left with a shaky story and a connection to the other 2 men that appears verifiable.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:47 AM

The general reason I expect of any faker, besides just personally trying to get yourself in the news, is as a sort of signal boost. They believe this happens all the time, and no one gets caught, so they feel justified in faking one that will get caught.

You can see a similar tactic with all the conservatives still trying to rewrite the "MAGA hat kid" story and ignoring that we've repeatedly explained what we actually were upset about. They know that wasn't the issue, but they genuinely think that we regularly do stuff like this, so they're willing to push along the fiction.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:37 AM

What pisses me off is that by doing shit like this, Smollett just makes it that much worse for actual victims of hate crimes -- people become more and more skeptical.

I for one figured he had been attacked, although I thought the noose and the bleach were probably things he himself added to make it worse. But to engineer the whole thing? WTF? This is just beyond my comprehension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
The general reason I expect of any faker, besides just personally trying to get yourself in the news, is as a sort of signal boost. They believe this happens all the time, and no one gets caught, so they feel justified in faking one that will get caught.

You can see a similar tactic with all the conservatives still trying to rewrite the "MAGA hat kid" story and ignoring that we've repeatedly explained what we actually were upset about. They know that wasn't the issue, but they genuinely think that we regularly do stuff like this, so they're willing to push along the fiction.
Would you kindly stop with the whole "we" schtick? And there's already a thread about Covington for you to wag your finger.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:27 AM

Cory Booker is still using this case as a reason to pass the "Justice for Victims of Lynching Act" despite the fact when he said this on Friday that the story had already turned. Wonder if he just didn't get the memo.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
Well no, He's just one person and he will be judged by his actions. But when you use terms like "Orange Dick Suckers" the same process holds true for you.
What bothers you, the syntactic ambiguity?
Old 02-17-2019, 09:33 AM

So the two guys he paid were brothers from Nigeria and he thought it looked plausible to have them yell ďThis is MAGA country!Ē ?
This.... really wasnít thought out that well... was it
Old 02-17-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
So the two guys he paid were brothers from Nigeria and he thought it looked plausible to have them yell ďThis is MAGA country!Ē ?
Plus if the photos are accurate you better hope those muscular dudes donít get too enthusiastic. You might get lumped up pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
What pisses me off is that by doing shit like this, Smollett just makes it that much worse for actual victims of hate crimes -- people become more and more skeptical.

I for one figured he had been attacked, although I thought the noose and the bleach were probably things he himself added to make it worse. But to engineer the whole thing? WTF? This is just beyond my comprehension.

Would you kindly stop with the whole "we" schtick? And there's already a thread about Covington for you to wag your finger.
False accusations arenít unknown though. I remember when Morton Downey Jr. got attacked by so-called Nazis.

Why people do it? There is a whole lot of nuttery in this world.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:10 AM
Friend of Cecil

Nigerians wanting to make America great again by assaulting people they know with rope. Sounds plausible.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

He, through his lawyers, is still denying that he had anything to do with this.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Nigerians wanting to make America great again by assaulting people they know with rope. Sounds plausible.

What I don't understand is how this will help get those suitcases of money out of customs.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:16 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
I have a feeling the sweat started when the detectives told him ďThe good news is almost that entire area is covered by one camera or another.Ē
Old 02-17-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
If only the Nigerians had been wearing whiteface!
Old 02-17-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
He, through his lawyers, is still denying that he had anything to do with this.
Well, it's true he had nothing to do with a mugging that didn't happen. But the false police report is a different matter.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
False accusations arenít unknown though. I remember when Morton Downey Jr. got attacked by so-called Nazis.

Why people do it? There is a whole lot of nuttery in this world.
I'm aware it happens. It still pisses me off.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:16 PM

Apparently they couldn't even find a real MAGA hat for a prop.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:43 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I hate to go off of statements from unnamed sources but if thatís true itís much worse than I thought it would be. My personal working theory when I heard about this was something personally embarrassing happened, he lied about it to those close to him, and then he was caught up in the lie and couldnít see a way out of it. Totally staging it and rehearsing it is worse than I ever imagined.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:49 PM

Wow, is he in enough trouble now to kiss his acting career goodbye? So what might this be legally, filing a false report? Obstruction?
Old 02-17-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
My personal working theory when I heard about this was something personally embarrassing happened, he lied about it to those close to him, and then he was caught up in the lie and couldnít see a way out of it.

Apparently he was pushing it as a news item.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:01 PM

Holy crap! They bought the rope from the same place I bought a razor scraper and WD40 to get expired city stickers off my car windshield! This is cool!
Old 02-17-2019, 02:03 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Wow, is he in enough trouble now to kiss his acting career goodbye? So what might this be legally, filing a false report? Obstruction?
Iím no expert on Illinois law but thinking of the laws of my state there are several that could apply. Nothing extremely serious. Low level felonies or high level misdemeanors. Nothing you could get serious jail time for.

For instance filing a false report is a 4th degree crime punishable by up to 18 months. The maximum sentence would be very rare. I would think that Illinois would be relatively similar.