The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 AM

Heard of Chatype? Like it?

Never thought much fuss would be made about a typeface, but apparently this is kind of a big deal. At least to some Chattanoogans and a lot of font fans:

http://www.core77.com/blog/kickstart...tity_21757.asp

What do you think?
Advertisements  
Old 03-02-2012, 10:03 AM

I got nothing

Font does nothing for me. Make it readable is all I ask. Not capitalizing properly seems so low class to me.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:00 PM

I can see the influences on the font, which isn't a bad thing. It seems well designed, but nothing special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Not capitalizing properly seems so low class to me.
I'm not sure about lower class, but frikking trendy. It'll look really dated in ten years. And I think using it on the roads (as the example for the bike lane) is a bad idea - but just because they're presenting it that way doesn't mean it'll happen.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:50 PM

the idea of this catching on and cities all around the country (world?) coming up with their own typeface is intriguing (albeit unlikely)
Old 03-02-2012, 02:34 PM

What's wrong with this picture? 3 guesses, but you'll only need one. The point of road signs and painting on streets is to be as readable as possible to accommodate poor conditions and people who don't read English very well. Thinking the best font for this job is 1) serif and 2) non-capitalized is freaking DUMB.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
What's wrong with this picture? 3 guesses, but you'll only need one. The point of road signs and painting on streets is to be as readable as possible to accommodate poor conditions and people who don't read English very well. Thinking the best font for this job is 1) serif and 2) non-capitalized is freaking DUMB.
Good points, but the picture of the bicycle is pretty obvious in any language.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Font does nothing for me. Make it readable is all I ask. Not capitalizing properly seems so low class to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Tyger View Post
I can see the influences on the font, which isn't a bad thing. It seems well designed, but nothing special. . . It'll look really dated in ten years. And I think using it on the roads (as the example for the bike lane) is a bad idea - .
The point isn't really about the particular characteristics of the font.

Rather, the point is simply to have it omnipresent. People will come to associate it with the city, to the point where you can identify Chattanooga from any photo with a sign in it. When people leave town for a while, and come back to Chattanooga, they'll experience a subconscious sense of being "at home," and "in the right place."
Old 03-02-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
I'm assuming, for sanity's sake, that when it comes to actually use this the road people will say that using it on the asphalt is illegal.

There are several towns in California where street signs are in a certain color and font (some of them less legible than this one). I can't see the average person being able to distinguish a font closely enough that just that will be associated with something. (In my experience, to most people there is Times New Roman, Arial, Papyrus, and Comic Sans.)

The whole things seems a bit silly to me, but I don't live there and it's not my decision.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 PM

My question is: how many fonts actually do well over time? We have a few that have lasted, and the rest seem to disappear. The most distinctive looking ones are usually the first on the chopping block. This font, even if not used on roadways, it going to look dated rather quickly. Sure, people will think of the city when they see the font, but that association will soon be a negative one.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:07 PM

I do think it would be cool if towns all had their own typefaces.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:38 AM

I live in the Chattanooga metro area. I think it's neat.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:55 AM

Think the idea of regional typefaces is great.

That font is ugly and already looks dated. $10,000? What a rip-off. "the m.l.king" sign is hard to read too.

But I love the layout and colors of the signs.