Old 10-19-2019, 10:14 PM

How does Trump convince these big stadium/convention center owners to let him host rallies?

A couple days ago, Trump was holding another big rally here at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, home of the Dallas Mavericks. The Mavericks who are owned by Mark Cuban, no fan of Trump.

Days before that, Trump was rallying his base at the Target Center in Minneapolis. Target, presumably, isn't a corporation in favor of Trump.

Ditto for dozens of major stadiums or convention centers where Trump has hosted his rallies - places like Toyota Center, Amway Center, etc. Why haven't the business entities or owners of these places objected to Trump holding an event there? There seems to have been no pushback by Trump opponents against corporations who agree to let Trump hold his rally, either. (For that matter, no pushback against the Cleveland Cavaliers for allowing Trump and the GOP to hold their presidential-election convention in the Quicken Loans Arena in 2016.)
Old 10-19-2019, 10:30 PM

Presumably, the Trump campaign promises to pay them money.

Whether they get the money or not is another thing.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:41 PM

He owes 9m to DC and over half a million to El Paso. He notoriously stiffs everyone he can.

He threatened to sue in Min. because they demanded he pay upfront.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:45 PM

I'd like to see actual attendance numbers. Like they announce at baseball games.
As for how it's paid for/promised to be paid for, I'm going with: Trump, credit, bankruptcy, creditors, lawyers, people who got stiffed. You know, the usual.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:56 PM

I always figured that the arenas sold enough concessions to turn a profit on the deal in addition to the rent. The security would be the local police's problem and they'll likely get stiffed by the campaign, which doesn't matter to the arena. It's probably tempting to sell MAGA hats at $8 each or 2 for $20.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I always figured that the arenas sold enough concessions to turn a profit on the deal in addition to the rent. The security would be the local police's problem and they'll likely get stiffed by the campaign, which doesn't matter to the arena. It's probably tempting to sell MAGA hats at $8 each or 2 for $20.
Tickets are free, so I don't know how the profit/pulling works for either Trump Co nor the stadium owners.

As for attendance, I saw a news story after the Min. rally that revealed an unexpected but curious fact: A lot of people are who go to these things are self proclaimed "groupies." Many people interviewed follow the rallies around.

One couple of retirees said they bought a motor home and just follow Trump's rally train around the US.
"This is our 52nd rally," they bragged.

So there's a non-negligible contingency of rally-goers who are not locals and are literally at every rally.

Last edited by dontbesojumpy; 10-19-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
A couple days ago, Trump was holding another big rally here at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, home of the Dallas Mavericks. The Mavericks who are owned by Mark Cuban, no fan of Trump.

Days before that, Trump was rallying his base at the Target Center in Minneapolis. Target, presumably, isn't a corporation in favor of Trump.
In both those cases the arena is owned by the city and its taxpayers, Target and Cuban only own the naming rights, and presumably those rights don't extend to who can and cannot use the facility.

Can they bitch about who uses it? Of course. But why wade into that quagmire as a corporation or entity when the backlash could lose money and doing it as an individual accomplishes the same thing with less risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbesojumpy View Post
He threatened to sue in Min. because they demanded he pay upfront.
His campaign threatened to sue for breach of contract.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Tickets are free, so I don't know how the profit/pulling works for either Trump Co nor the stadium owners.
Tickets may be free, but you can still milk the rubes at the concession stand.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:31 AM

I guess these places have no experience dealing with politicians. If they don't require payment up front they may never get paid. When the election is over the campaign committee may be broke or in debt, there's no way to collect.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Presumably, the Trump campaign promises to pay them money.

Whether they get the money or not is another thing.
He had a rally either here in Tucson or up in Phoenix during the election and didn't pay. News stations here in Tucson refer to this during some stories
Old 10-20-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
A lot of people are who go to these things are self proclaimed "groupies." Many people interviewed follow the rallies around.
Well, if it's free to get in, that's easier to do.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I guess these places have no experience dealing with politicians. If they don't require payment up front they may never get paid. When the election is over the campaign committee may be broke or in debt, there's no way to collect.
There is exactly ONE politician who would stiff an arena like that. The same guy who stiffed the caterer at his last wedding.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeweyLogan View Post
His campaign threatened to sue for breach of contract.
Seriously? You'd think by now, people would make sure that up-front payment is a clause in the contract.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
There is exactly ONE politician who would stiff an arena like that. The same guy who stiffed the caterer at his last wedding.
Any politician will do it. He's not special.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Any politician will do it. He's not special.
True.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

I despise Trump but the tradition of not paying the bills by a campaign certainly didn’t start with Trump. I don’t have a cite handy (perhaps The Making of the President 1964) but the Johnson campaign had to pay in advance for a block of rooms at a hotel because they’d been stiffed by the Kennedy campaign in the past.

As far as arena scheduling goes, I did work a job like that for a short time. Although my experience is out of date, I doubt much has changed. Campaign rallies are generally scheduled on fairly short notice, think of it as getting last minute hotel rooms. An arena starts scheduling things a year or so in advance for major concerts and other events and then they’ll get the schedule for whatever sports teams they host probably 6 months in advance, making sure they work around events already booked. For years, the Blackhawks and Bulls had a long road trip because of the circus coming to town.

So, political rallies can fill in the empty days like the last minute hotel rooms that would otherwise go unsold. It also keeps the workers working for the various groups that provide the parking, concessions, and janitorial services. Plus, keeping events at the arena can help justify the naming rights since they’re reaching an audience that might not necessarily tune in for basketball but love the political candidate giving the rally.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Can you imagine the shitstorm created by right-wing television, radio and internet if a venue decided to turn down a Trump rally?
Old 10-20-2019, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Just ocurred to me that also, depending on the jurisdiction if the arena is a public property and the event is political there may be equal access policies in place that don't let them impose on the Trump team different conditions than on, say, Buttegieg's or say "no, sorry, we're booked solid" to Trump in the morning and then in the afternoon book Warren for that same date.

(A privately-owned facility may be another story... if they figure it's less trouble than ticking off a notorious nuisance litigant who has access to the heads of the IRS and the Anti Trust Division).

And yes, campaigns of all political bents and levels have been known to stiff venues and vendors. That this one candidate has made that behavior a banner of his way of doing business for a lifetime, is just an egregious special case. Campaign committees often end up insolvent at campaign's end having blown everything on the final push, or run into cash flow crises during the run due to unpredictability of income. Radio/TV ad buys require payment by air time from everyone, IIRC, so often you'll feel you have to prioritize your cash-on-hand there (and even then the check may bounce if they're not quick enough).
Old 10-20-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

As for attendance, I saw a news story after the Min. rally that revealed an unexpected but curious fact: A lot of people are who go to these things are self proclaimed "groupies." Many people interviewed follow the rallies around.

One couple of retirees said they bought a motor home and just follow Trump's rally train around the US.
"This is our 52nd rally," they bragged.

So there's a non-negligible contingency of rally-goers who are not locals and are literally at every rally.
Great. Trump is basically the Jerry Garcia of aging white grievance.

Even if I liked Donald Trump, even if I agreed with everything he said and thought he was doing a bang-up job as America's bigliest and bestest president of all time, I couldn't imagine how that could possibly be any fun. Watching him blather on for hours at a time, making the same "jokes," the same taunts, the same boasts, again and again and again... how is that not torture?
Old 10-20-2019, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post

Even if I liked Donald Trump, even if I agreed with everything he said and thought he was doing a bang-up job as America's bigliest and bestest president of all time, I couldn't imagine how that could possibly be any fun. Watching him blather on for hours at a time, making the same "jokes," the same taunts, the same boasts, again and again and again... how is that not torture?
It’s just like the people who would watch Rocky Horror over and over. They get to yell along and cheer. They get to hang out with other regulars and like minded people. It would be fun as hell if you loved Trump.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
True.
That's Security costs, not rent.

And the VIPs make the assumption that they were gonna pay the cops anyway, and protecting the VIP are part of their duties.

So that's quite a bit different.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post

On the bright side, you could listen to Hillary whine about how she was robbed of her Presidency again... and again.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:08 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe Jeff View Post
On the bright side, you could listen to Hillary whine about how she was robbed of her Presidency again... and again.
Got an example?
Old 10-20-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

OP, do you understand that the Dallas Mavericks do not own American Airlines Center, and that Target does not own Target Center? They are both municipal facilities, owned by the cities they're in.

Do you really want cities to ban political rallies, or tell candidates for President they aren't welcome?
Old 10-20-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I see what you did there.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Got an example?
Too much to hope for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
Do you really want cities to ban political rallies, or tell candidates for President they aren't welcome?
Since this POTUS has already declared war on California and other states that didn't go his way, venues in those states could at least REQUIRE up-front payment, plus a bond for overages (like cops quelling rioting MAGA-heads), and a hefty insurance premium, all paid before they open the gates.

If I stiff a creditor, I get sued and a lien is placed on my property. Why me and not DJT?
Old 10-20-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Too much to hope for.

Since this POTUS has already declared war on California and other states that didn't go his way, venues in those states could at least REQUIRE up-front payment, plus a bond for overages (like cops quelling rioting MAGA-heads), and a hefty insurance premium, all paid before they open the gates. ...
If they are publicly-owned, they probably can't do those things. Or at least, they can't do those things just for President Trump. If they had some reasonable, content-neutral rules for all politicians, that'd probably be ok.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 10-20-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
If they are publicly-owned, they probably can't do those things. Or at least, they can't do those things just for President Trump. If they had some reasonable, content-neutral rules for all politicians, that'd probably be ok.
Content-neutral, or at least party-neutral, would be nice.

Trump held a rally in Minneapolis, and the mayor Jacob Frey wanted to charge him $530K. Obama held a rally, also at the Target Center, and supposedly incurred about $20K. Cite. Go figure.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 10-21-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe Jeff View Post
See, that comparison doesn't really work, because even if Hillary Clinton were going around the country holding rallies to "whine about how she was robbed of her presidency," that wouldn't appeal to me in the least, nor to much of anyone else. There is no Cult of Hillary equivalent to the Cult of Trump.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:42 PM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Content-neutral, or at least party-neutral, would be nice.

Trump held a rally in Minneapolis, and the mayor Jacob Frey wanted to charge him $530K. Obama held a rally, also at the Target Center, and supposedly incurred about $20K. Cite. Go figure.

At the time, Former Minneapolis Police Chief Tim Dolan estimated a 2009 Health Care Rally at Target Center by then-President Barack Obama cost his department about $20,000.

. . .

The estimated cost of Thursday’s visit is significantly higher. The city came up with the number using the same security cost formula they used for the Super Bowl and Final Four.

So an appearance by a president for the purpose of discussing a specific issue costs less than a campaign rally by a president promoting re-election. Is there any evidence that the Obama appearance drew crowds comparable to a Superbowl? (That was he basis on which the Trump costs were calculated in advance.)

This hardly appears to be a decision based on party affiliation.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
At the time, Former Minneapolis Police Chief Tim Dolan estimated a 2009 Health Care Rally at Target Center by then-President Barack Obama cost his department about $20,000.

. . .

The estimated cost of Thursday’s visit is significantly higher. The city came up with the number using the same security cost formula they used for the Super Bowl and Final Four.

So an appearance by a president for the purpose of discussing a specific issue costs less than a campaign rally by a president promoting re-election. Is there any evidence that the Obama appearance drew crowds comparable to a Superbowl? (That was he basis on which the Trump costs were calculated in advance.)

This hardly appears to be a decision based on party affiliation.
The last Super Bowl had 70,000+ people in attendance. President Trump's MN rally had ~20,000. It sure appears partisan to me.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:59 PM

Trump doesn't convince them, the money does.