Old 09-27-1999, 10:30 AM

The Settlers of Catan

Ever played it?

I was introduced to it this weekend....love it, love it, love it!

Anyone else?
Old 09-27-1999, 10:39 AM

Not only have I never played it, I've never heard of it.

Are you sure it wasn't "The Kettlers of Satan"? The game about the tinsmiths making kitchen utensils for the devil?

------------------
"non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem"
-- William of Ockham
Old 09-27-1999, 11:09 AM

haha.

No really, it was awesome!...it originated in Germany I believe, and was 'game of the year' several times, and came to north america, where it recieved similar acclaim.
Old 09-27-1999, 11:12 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Kelli,

Why don't you exlpain the name briefly, I'm close to Germany and might know it under another name ?

Cold "Pinched Bum" Fire

------------------
"You know how complex women are"
- Neil Peart, Rush (1993)
Old 09-27-1999, 11:26 AM

Picture a cluster of hexagonal disks, made into an island...each disk produces an 'industry' necessary for civilization, sheep, rock, clay, wood, wheet, and you get build settlements and roads to develope the island of 'Catan'. Each hexagonal industry disk has a small numbered disk on top, and when you roll the dice, and that number comes up, if your settlement is touching the industry with the right numbered disk on it, you collect a card representing the industry.

You use industry cards to build roads, settlements, citys, and to trade for what you need.

You play to ten points, and you get points for each settlement , city, longest road etc.

Ring any bells?
Old 09-27-1999, 11:33 AM

I have this game, and I love it!

It's simple enough that you can pick up the rules rather quickly, and complex enough that a game can last for hours. The board changes every time, so there aren't any advantages to having played before.

It's put out by Mayfair Games, at least in the US.

lovelee
Old 09-27-1999, 11:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hmmmm, sorry, no bells.

It does sound a lot like those "Civilization"-like computer games where you have to build towns and support them etc. - games I despise.

Computer games should be about Racing or Shooting. Plain simple.

Anyway, if I ever come across that Settlers thing, I'll give it a go.

Coldfire

------------------
"You know how complex women are"
- Neil Peart, Rush (1993)
Old 09-27-1999, 12:10 PM

lovelee...yeah, that's the BEST PART!, its so simple, but its almost all strategy and its different every time...I am so hooked!

see, I am not crazy...and I didnt imagine it

------------------
"Aint'cha gonna eat me Wolfie?

"Aint got the time, Grandma!"
Old 09-27-1999, 12:13 PM

Kelli, somebody gave this game to my kids for Christmas last year, and we all love it! My kids are 9, about to be 11 (next Sunday!) and 14. The three of them and I have sat for manny hours and played this game -- it's easy enough for the 9 year old to play, yet there's enough strategy to keep me interested, too.

Look in your local game store -- there are now related games and expander sets.

-Melin
Old 09-27-1999, 02:32 PM

I can pick it up at the local gaming store for about $40.. if anyone is interested, email me and I can do the money-order swap deal (just like Ebay!).

lovelee
Old 09-27-1999, 02:43 PM

thanks, but by the time I pay the difference on the $$ and the shipping, it will probably be the same.

I might make my own version...settlers of kelli island.
Old 09-27-1999, 03:21 PM

So is Settlers of Catan something like a Command and Conquer/Sim City type game? (I just LOVE those games.)

------------------
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."-- Calvin and Hobbes
(__)
`\/-------\
`| |-----| |\
..c.c......c.c....
Old 09-27-1999, 03:29 PM

Not alot diff than sim city (I love that one too!) but you are competing with other players, and where you build determinews what industries you produce.

For example, 8 and 6 are common roles, and if there are wheat producing lots with those numbers on them, you build on them to produce wheat, you can trade wheat for whatever you need, etc.
the best plan is to find a spot on the board touching 3 different industries with common numbers on them. Its awesome. I wonder how long until someone makes an online version?
Old 09-27-1999, 03:56 PM

Once I get my hands on a copy of the game, I could code a basic, ugly, multi-player, single-computer version in no time. If you want art, or AI players, or internet connectivity, it would take a few weeks to six months (depending on the rules complexity).

Legal permission to distribute the game would take much, much longer.

------------------
Laugh hard; it's a long way to the bank.
Old 09-27-1999, 04:30 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The max number of players is 4 -- unless you get the expansion set, which brings you up to 6 (I have it, but we haven't played the expansion yet). They also have Seafarers of Cataan, in which you can set up shipping lanes (like roads, but for the sea) and go to other small islands. I believe they are putting out another set called Knights and Cities or something, but I have no idea what that will entail.
Old 09-27-1999, 04:57 PM

What a coincedence; I just finished playing Rails:Australia at my buddy's place.

You build railroad track across a given map (like Australia, duh.), and run your trains from city to city, hauling trade goods like livestock, metals, tourists, ect. You draw card that tell you what a given city wants, and you lay your tracks appropriately.

The really cool thig about the game is it used a laminated plastic playing board, and you draw your tracks with crayons. Wheeee!

------------------
You say "cheesy" like that's a BAD thing.
Old 09-27-1999, 07:52 PM

Sealemon88, Mayfair puts out a number of variations to the 'Railroad Baron' type games. Just played Iron Dragon this weekend, was enjoyable enough. Is same game, except in a fantasy setting.

------------------
>>Being Chaotic Evil means never having to say your sorry....unless the other guy is bigger than you.<<

---The dragon observes
Old 09-27-1999, 08:10 PM

Yeah, I've played a few of the maps, but yesterday was the first time I played in Austrailia. Man that map is a pain! lol Running rails through the Outback was very interesting...

kelli: If you can find them, you might want to try some of these games:

Outpost: This game from TimJim combines the stratagy of production with the bluffing of poker. Build your factories, bid on upgrades to your space colony (Scientists, Orbital labs, robots) and try to accumulate 75 colony points before anybody else. Just remember to bring a calculator or pencil and paper to keep track of all your money.

History of the World: By Avalon Hill. Each player played "god" with civilizations through the ages, starting with the Babalonians. Move out and conquer territories; visit blessing on your people and disaters on your enemies. It's simular to Civilization, with more combat and no trading. Fairly easy to learn.

Fast Food Francheise: This is a cool game! It's basically Monopoly, except the board evolves as you play. Land on an empty market, and buy a fast food chain. You can force your way into other markets buy paying extra money, so there is more strategy than in Monopoly; but it's still a beer and pretzels game.

------------------
You say "cheesy" like that's a BAD thing.
Old 09-28-1999, 01:00 AM

How many players?

------------------
"non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem"
-- William of Ockham
Old 09-28-1999, 01:18 AM

min 3, max 4, I believe...My brother had to special order it in from Ontario (far away) for my sis-in-laws birthday...cost him about $80 with all the shipping etc....but I will look anyway!

Melin, great to see your name again!
Old 09-28-1999, 01:33 AM

Personally, I didn't find Settlers to be anywhere near as good as its reputation. But if you are considering buying any Mayfair games, you might want to hurry. They went out of business back in 1997. They restarted the company last April and are still active, but I wouldn't be surprised if they go under again. The adult gaming industry is notorious for companies failing.

Their website is http://www.coolgames.com/
Old 09-30-2019, 09:59 AM

I was just about to say, "Who the heck had never heard of Settlers of Catan? They are about 20 years behind!"

Actually, they are almost exactly 20 years behind.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfire View Post
Hmmmm, sorry, no bells.

It does sound a lot like those "Civilization"-like computer games where you have to build towns and support them etc. - games I despise.

Computer games should be about Racing or Shooting. Plain simple.

Anyway, if I ever come across that Settlers thing, I'll give it a go.

Coldfire
It's a board game that originated in Germany. Die Siedler von Catan

Easy to learn and play, and I've enjoyed it over the years.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:00 AM

Settlers is credited with sparking the board game revival of the 21st century, even though it was first published n 1995. It is the quintessential eurogame. In 2015 it was voted "Game of the Century"
Old 09-30-2019, 11:06 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Note that a spammer resurrected this thread from 1999 this morning.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:07 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

This thread was raised by a spammer who has since been wished away to the cornfield.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:54 AM

Wow. A thread from 1999. Was it originally posted in pencil?
Old 09-30-2019, 01:06 PM

I've played Settlers of Catan several times.
A pleasant game and not difficult to learn.

However in my opinion it has two minor flaws:

- several times during the game the current player has to steal from another one. This can lead to minor annoyance and 'revenge' tactics
- players can fall behind and have little or no hope of winning

I much prefer -co-operative games, where all the players unite as a team versus the game itself. This means all players win ... or all players lose. (Very helpful for family games!)

I recommend Pandemic, which takes about 30-45 minutes and allows 2-4 players as well as Flash point (Fire rescue), which also takes 30-45 minutes with 2-6 players allowed.
In both games players have separate roles and there are several levels of difficulty.
I've played both games with adults and children (including an autistic lad) and have enjoyed them a lot.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:08 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Render View Post
Settlers is credited with sparking the board game revival of the 21st century, even though it was first published n 1995. It is the quintessential eurogame. In 2015 it was voted "Game of the Century"
Which is kind of funny, because it's a terrible game.

"Okay, I rolled a six, which get me... nothing. Anyone want to trade for some wood? Still no? Okay, I guess I do nothing this turn. Again."
Old 09-30-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazi View Post
No, they had pens back then. Fountain pens, but pens nonetheless. Although some of the early members were still using quills. Threads on ink making were popular.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:11 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
No, they had pens back then. Fountain pens, but pens nonetheless. Although some of the early members were still using quills. Threads on ink making were popular.
At that time, I was making my own pens out of ore, wood, and sheep.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Or you could make them out of 12 brick if you don't have any ports, but if you do that, the brick makes the pens really heavy.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
Moderator Note

This thread was raised by a spammer who has since been wished away to the cornfield.
Well... shit. Did not notice.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Haven't tried this game yet, but man, have y'all noticed how f-in good all the players from South Korea are at Starcraft?
Old 09-30-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
"Okay, I rolled a six, which get me... nothing. Anyone want to trade for some wood? Still no? Okay, I guess I do nothing this turn. Again."
Blackbeard, from Avalon Hill in '91, has totally random turns. One could sit for quite a while until they get to do anything.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:35 PM

Recently played a new game that has reasonably Catan-like mechanics:

Space Base

You are in charge of a space base, buying ships that give various rewards when 2d6 are rolled (even on other players' turns).

It lacks the variable map the tiles create, but replaces that with randomly-available ship rewards. It's not too taxing mechanically but complex enough strategically to hold interest. Had some friends over for game night and it was a big enough hit everybody stayed late for a second game!
Old 09-30-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I'm not a big board game player, but have any of you played The Cones of Dunshire? I've heard it's good, although I don't think it was around when this thread originally existed.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:25 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

Moving thread from MPSIMS to the Game Room (which did not exist when this thread was started).
Old 09-30-2019, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Some very old familiar names here. I've wondered how kellibelli is doing. I think we lost her when the boards went pay-to-post and she never came back.

And I see that the board software ensures that 'the moderator who shall not be named' is not in fact named.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 09-30-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

So I read the OP asking if anyone had ever heard of Settlers of Catan and thought it was a joke -- I don't play board games, and even I know it's one of the most famous games in existence. Kind of a neat historical note that the OP wasn't making a joke; the thread is from before it's fame. I assume kellibelli has now retired off his/her lottery winnings, given their ability to see the future so well.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
I was just about to say, "Who the heck had never heard of Settlers of Catan? They are about 20 years behind!"
Everyone now is all Tapestry and Wingspan.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;230563
Personally, I didn't find Settlers to be anywhere near as good as its reputation. But if you are considering buying any Mayfair games, you might want to hurry. They went out of business back in 1997. They restarted the company last April and are still active, but I wouldn't be surprised if they go under again. The adult gaming industry is notorious for companies failing.

Their website is http://www.coolgames.com/
The irony is that Mayfair Games did in fact shut down.

LAST YEAR. This thread was full of sorcery back in Ď99.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazi View Post
If you notice, the date is listed via sundial
Old 10-08-2019, 06:57 PM

Mayfair Games released two versions of the game with two different sets of colors originally but made no effort to distinguish the two versions. The second version contained rules for an eight-player version of the game.

I recommend Struggle for Catan, a card game based on the board game. It is pretty much the board game without the abstract feature of blocking. It is a better two-player game than the board game and buy two copies of the game and you can play with eight people!
Old 10-09-2019, 09:39 AM

I remain somewhat mystified by people's attraction to this game. To me it feels random and not very fun. Of all the games to be the "breakout" "OMG, boardgames can be good!" game, it seems like an odd one.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Which is kind of funny, because it's a terrible game.

According to wikipedia, "more than 22 million copies in 30 languages have been sold." There are expansion packs, video games, phone apps, etc etc. Not to mention all the awards. And while popularity is not a reliable indicator of quality, I think it's fair to say that your opinion of its quality is in the minority.

More succinctly: you are wrong.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:12 PM

no, he's right settlers of catan sucks. i will eat that damn monopoly card if i ever see it again
Old 10-09-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

My family loves this game, but we have a bunch of house rules.
* No robber, no deserts.
* No hiding your cards.
* No dice, but a homemade deck of 30 cards, labeled 2-6, 8-12 in the same frequency as two dice. Reshuffle once every card is drawn.
* If on your turn, you donít draw any resources, you get a free development card.
* Game ends after specific number of shuffles.
* Goal is to see how much of the island gets developed.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airk View Post
I remain somewhat mystified by people's attraction to this game. To me it feels random and not very fun. Of all the games to be the "breakout" "OMG, boardgames can be good!" game, it seems like an odd one.
I tend to agree. I'll play Catan is that's what other people are playing but it's not a game I would play by my choice.

I feel the same way about Ticket to Ride and Terra Mystica, two other very popular games which I feel are overrated.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:23 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFacts View Post
According to wikipedia, "more than 22 million copies in 30 languages have been sold." There are expansion packs, video games, phone apps, etc etc. Not to mention all the awards. And while popularity is not a reliable indicator of quality, I think it's fair to say that your opinion of its quality is in the minority.

More succinctly: you are wrong.
They sold 22 million copies. But there's over six billion people in the world. Clearly, vastly more people would prefer not to play Catan than to play it.

Therefore, I'm right.