Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #251  
Old 08-10-2014, 12:29 AM
Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawMonkey View Post
One nitpick on your card, Smapti--IIRC, Brie has her job back regardless. The match is just for shits and giggles, basically.
Huh. I must have missed that detail. My eyes tend to glaze over and roll into the back of my head whenever Steph starts talking.
  #252  
Old 08-10-2014, 01:04 AM
LawMonkey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 4,416
No worries*--Brie having a match for her job actually made sense, and was basically what everyone in the IWC was predicting until the RAW a couple weeks ago when Steph gave Brie everything but a WWEWHC title shot to get her to drop the charges (in the old time, in the old time, in the old time it was not a NOT A CRIME!)

* Other than Steph being the best heel in the company right now, of course. I can dig skipping her segments because Brie Bella, but Steph is knocking it out of the park most of the time.
  #253  
Old 08-10-2014, 02:32 AM
Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,396
Well, my biggest beef with Steph as a heel is that she never ever gets her comeuppance. The male wrestlers she's constantly screwing over can't lay a finger on her because of TV-PG, and the closest any Diva has actually gotten to decisively scoring a point over her is Vickie pushing her into the kiddie pool full of 20-year-old Double Dare goo (and only then after she'd been fired anyway). So she gets to constantly talk shit about Daniel Bryan and Cena and so forth and be proven right over and over again, and we never get the payoff that you expect from that kind of storyline.

Now if Brie beats Steph next week, I'll be very happy.
  #254  
Old 08-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 15,173
This interview with Vince Russo is pretty cool. He and the hosts are Lawn Guylanders, so it's fun to listen to their accents. He's wearing a FIRE RUSSO! shirt. The hosts asked him if he bought it from Jim Cornette's web site. He said "Are you kiddin'? I'm selling it awn my own web site!"

He's pretty honest about his successes and failures, and talks about the reality of dealing with backstage politics during the creative process. Like him or hate him, this interview is enlightening about the industry.
  #255  
Old 08-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Cell Guy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 735
I've cancelled my Network sub effective Sep 8. The only reason I got the Network is for the video library. WCCW and ECW shows haven't been updated in months. Where is the old TBS Saturday night program? What about Worldwide? Mid South? AWA? There is some great stuff in that library and for some reason WWE is just sitting on it. I may resubscribe when those programs make it to the Network but for now it's not worth it.

As for the current product....eh, I'm not that interested anymore. Although if CM Punk came back I would watch much more regularly.
  #256  
Old 08-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
So, barring any last minute changes, injuries, or surprise midget matches, it looks like we've got the following eight-match card coming up at Summerslam next week;

* Cena vs. Lesnar for the world title. I know this isn't the first time they've feuded, but this match has had a good build and I'm really looking forward to it. Prediction: Lesnar wins and he wins decisively.

* Ziggler vs. Miz for the IC title. AFAIK this will be Miz's first title defense, and Ziggler's first shot at a title in awhile. Ziggler has been looking good lately, but I predict Miz retains in order to further build his Hollywood heel persona.

* Paige vs. AJ for the Divas title. Not particularly looking forward to this match since they've done it four times already, and AJ matches pretty much always go the same way. I'd like to see Paige win, but I predict AJ retains so they can keep her as a face champion until Charlotte comes up to the main roster to challenge her.

* Rollins vs. Ambrose in a lumberjack match. I assume that in kayfabe Ambrose picked this stipulation in order to stop Seth from running and the Authority from interfering. I expect both to happen anyway. This is a hard match to call - Seth could use a win since he's probably going to be treading water storywise until after Wrestlemania - I mean, can you imagine Seth trying to cash in his MITB on Brock Lesnar? I mean, I can imagine it, but I can't imagine it going well for Seth. I'd personally prefer to see Ambrose win because I love the hardcore brawling style he's been using since the Shield broke up, but let's call it Rollins by a nose.

* Rusev vs. Swagger in a flag match. It must have been decades since WWE has done a flag match, but it's the perfect blowoff for this feud. (I'm not even sure what the rules for a flav match are, though.) Rusev has been undefeated since January, but this is a good opportunity to have him put over babyface Swagger in a way that allows Lana to claim that Rusev was never pinned and didn't submit, just like VLADAMEER POOTIN.

* Jericho vs. Wyatt, Harper and Rowan banned from ringside. Easy booking here - the Family intervenes anyway, causing a DQ and setting up a blowoff for Night of Champions.

* Stephanie vs. Brie, Brie "gets her job back" if she wins. Again, easy call - Brie wins because that's the only logical ending to this storyline and because it's his time Steph got some comeuppance.

* Reigns vs. Orton. This one could really go either way, but the common sense logic says Reigns needs the win more if he's going to be a contender for the title down the road.

There's also been rumors of a four-way tag titles match on the pre-show, Usos vs. Rybaxel, the Wyatt's, and the Rhodeses. IMO, the Ascension is going to be coming to the main roster and taking those belts soon, so if this match goes forward, the Usos will likely retain for now.

Overall, it has the potential to be the strongest card since Wrestlemania, and I'm looking forward to most of it.

Cena/Lesnar: I agree with what you say here. Although looking ahead, IMO, Reigns has A LOT of work to do before he is a legit face of the company

Ziggler/Miz: Unfortunately this is gonna be a Miz win since he is getting a good heel push and I think they want to keep it that way

Paige/AJ: I don't care who wins, all I care is that it's a good match. I think that Paige has it in her to have a good match, and I think that AJ has it in her to have a good match too, so a nice healthy match is all I need. I hate AJ matches because they last all of 90 damn seconds.

Ambrose/Rollins: Disappointed that it's a Lumberjack match because we all know the Lumberjacks are just gonna be the Authority's heels, making it unfair to Ambrose blah blah....

Rusev/Swagger: I think that Swagger wins clean actually.

Jericho/Wyatt: Wyatt NEEDS to win to maintain any semblance of his character. He is so good on the Mic (even tho he's boring) and by all accounts a good wrestler, he just loses in every. single. big. match. he ever is in.

Stephanie/Brie: Steph won't even wrestle. Something weird will happen.

Reigns/Orton: Reigns will probably win by Kane interference

4-way-tag: I haven't heard of this. Although I would LOVE for Goldy and Starry to win! I don't know how close the Ascension is to coming up, and I think the results of this match will go a long way in saying. If Rybaxel or the Wyatts win I think they come up soon and win. If the Usos retain or Goldy/Sarry win they stay down a while
  #257  
Old 08-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Really Not All That Bright is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 68,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawMonkey View Post
Ooooh. Ever head over to Full Sail to check out an NXT taping?
Not yet. I've been to a few TNA tapings though (they are also done here.) It's on my to-do list now that school is over.
Quote:
Dumb noobish question: What exactly is "workrate"? It's a term I see thrown around a bit and I can't quite nail down what the hell it means, exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hyde View Post
Workrate - Basically as all wrestling matches normally are works, which means planned and not competitive, "workrate" simply means "doing that really well." Broadly it means putting on a show really well, and it's a combination generally of "skill" and intensity/effort.
Martin has a slightly different definition than I do. He seems to equate it with "worker", which basically means "wrestler who can have a great match". I think workrate is a bit simpler, though; it's just about how intense the matches are. In the most basic terms, it's about how much time you don't spend in rest holds (stuff like rear chinlocks and sleepers that are just done so the wrestlers can catch their breath and/or waste time until the show goes to commercial).

Like Martin says, there's not really a hard-and-fast rule about it because different styles require different levels of intensity. If a high-flyer spends half his matches lying on the floor that's fine because all the non-lying-around stuff is interesting. Bret Hart could spend more time in submission holds because he's a submission wrestler (and complicated reversals and things were always his party pieces).

One of the reasons ECW made so much headway back in the day was because there were no rest periods at all. They only had an hour of TV or two hours before they had to clear out for bingo so everything was GOGOGO! all the time.
  #258  
Old 08-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,396
I read about the 4-way tag thing on one of the news sites. I haven't seen any confirmation of it yet, but it'd sure be a better preshow match than the crap we got with Battleground.

NXT's next live special is next month, where the Ascension will be defending against the winners of the tag tournament, and I predict they lose the belts. (The tournament has already been taped, but I haven't looked up who wins because I don't want spoilers.) With the belts off them, they'll be free to come up to the main roster and challenge for the main roster titles.
  #259  
Old 08-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
NXT's next live special is next month, where the Ascension will be defending against the winners of the tag tournament, and I predict they lose the belts. (The tournament has already been taped, but I haven't looked up who wins because I don't want spoilers.) With the belts off them, they'll be free to come up to the main roster and challenge for the main roster titles.
I'm all for more tag teams, but at this point is there room for them/how relevant can they be?

You have the Usos, The Wyatts, Rybaxel, and Goldy/Starry, and since Trips seems to want to move away from tag-teams I don't know what place The Ascension will have.

Frankly the only one I can see really being ready from NXT is Charlotte.
  #260  
Old 08-12-2014, 05:39 PM
That Don Guy's Avatar
That Don Guy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell Guy View Post
I've cancelled my Network sub effective Sep 8. The only reason I got the Network is for the video library. WCCW and ECW shows haven't been updated in months. Where is the old TBS Saturday night program? What about Worldwide? Mid South? AWA? There is some great stuff in that library and for some reason WWE is just sitting on it. I may resubscribe when those programs make it to the Network but for now it's not worth it.
I thought they were adding ECW TV shows, but one week at a time, and it hasn't been that long since they aired the one where Shane Douglas threw down the NWA belt.

Also, wasn't the network supposed to have every RAW? They don't seem to have very many before 2012 - I went looking for the Owen Hart tribute show from 1999, but it's not available.

The other thing that worries me; if they ever decide to show Nitro again, can they undo the edits they made to the WWE Classics On Demand broadcasts? I watched WrestleMania XIV recently, and while they had the "WWF Attitude" logo uncensored, all audio references to "WWF" still had the F blanked out.
  #261  
Old 08-12-2014, 05:46 PM
That Don Guy's Avatar
That Don Guy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
* Cena vs. Lesnar for the world title. I know this isn't the first time they've feuded, but this match has had a good build and I'm really looking forward to it. Prediction: Lesnar wins and he wins decisively.

* Rollins vs. Ambrose in a lumberjack match. I assume that in kayfabe Ambrose picked this stipulation in order to stop Seth from running and the Authority from interfering. I expect both to happen anyway. This is a hard match to call - Seth could use a win since he's probably going to be treading water storywise until after Wrestlemania - I mean, can you imagine Seth trying to cash in his MITB on Brock Lesnar?
No...but I don't see Lesnar as the champion either, since it's doubtful that he would ever appear other than at a PPV. I wouldn't be surprised if (a) Dean Ambrose gets "injured" during his match, giving him an excuse not to be at the arena later, and (b) Cena-Lesnar ends in some non-ending - maybe a double countout - where they both end up fairly beaten up, and then Rollins cashes in MITB on Cena without Ambrose being there to stop him.
  #262  
Old 08-12-2014, 08:35 PM
Cell Guy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I thought they were adding ECW TV shows, but one week at a time, and it hasn't been that long since they aired the one where Shane Douglas threw down the NWA belt.

Also, wasn't the network supposed to have every RAW? They don't seem to have very many before 2012 - I went looking for the Owen Hart tribute show from 1999, but it's not available.

The other thing that worries me; if they ever decide to show Nitro again, can they undo the edits they made to the WWE Classics On Demand broadcasts? I watched WrestleMania XIV recently, and while they had the "WWF Attitude" logo uncensored, all audio references to "WWF" still had the F blanked out.
They are slowly adding older episodes of RAW. The latest one is 7/31/95.

I've heard that Nitro will be added once RAW gets to 9/4/95, the date Nitro premiered. You can then relive the Monday Night Wars.
  #263  
Old 08-12-2014, 10:13 PM
LawMonkey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 4,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
You have the Usos, The Wyatts, Rybaxel, and Goldy/Starry, and since Trips seems to want to move away from tag-teams I don't know what place The Ascension will have.
How many times have the Wyatts fought the Usos now? (I was going to say "jobbed out to, but I forgot the pattern: Wyatts win on TV, lose on PPV title shot.) And The Dust Busters (who really need a name--the Cosmic Connection?)--they spent a solid month doing weird--admittedly entertaining, but weird--promos that sorta seemed like they were leading up to some storyline, and so eventually we got... them fighting RybAxel, just like they did before they went off for the month of promos.

No, sorry--if we're going to have a tag teams at all, we need more teams--even if they're only part time or ad hoc teams, like SLATER GATOR BAYBEE! Or the New Nation, except that apparently Creative has literally forgotten about them entirely. We need The Ascension, and we need them ASAP. The Usos had an open challenge on Main Event tonight--I was hoping, as unlikely as it was, for The Ascension to make a surprise appearance and ABSOLUTELY DEMOLISH Jimmy and Jey. (Hey, I like the Usos more than your usual smark, but it is way past time for those belts to change hands.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
No...but I don't see Lesnar as the champion either, since it's doubtful that he would ever appear other than at a PPV.
What better way to sell the Network/PPVs? That's how they used to book things--if you wanted to see Hogan fight a match, you bought a PPV (or went to a house show/dark match); on free TV, you'd see him cut promos and maybe a confrontation with whatever heel was challenging, but you paid your money if you wanted to see the big draw. John Cena doesn't need the belts to do all of his "Face of the Company" PR work/selling merch/cutting jokey Jern promos on Raw; Brock, on the other hand, is enough of an attraction that people will want to pay their $10 $9.99 to see him fight, especially if he shows up (and doesn't fight) on say, at least one RAW between every set of PPVs--usually the go home, but I like the idea of him being able to show up on any show to help sell RAW as well. Makes every single PPV a "must-see", assuming they can find credible opponents. (Which is really the issue with Brock. )

What's best for business? A part time champ, I think.

(Also, thought I'd bring this over from my IWC hangout, since there's been a lot of talk about the SS card--so here are rumoured match times, courtesy of the Observer, spoilered just in case.)

SPOILER:
Dolph Ziggler vs. The Miz: 10 min.
Chris Jericho vs. Bray Wyatt: 15 min.
Rusev vs. Jack Swagger: 12 min.
AJ Lee vs. Paige: 12 min.
Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins: 15 min.
Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton: 20 min.
Stephanie McMahon vs. Brie Bella: 15 min.
John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar: 25 min.
  #264  
Old 08-12-2014, 10:57 PM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 15,173
NXT's got some major indie talent coming to their shores. I've seen Kevin Steen on RoH, and I'm kind of surprised WWE recruited him. He's pretty old school, kind of an urban version of Dick Murdoch. I guess WWE isn't looking for pretty boys like they used to. He's a good bruiser type who can do some amazing aerial shit as well.

I haven't heard of Prince Devitt before, but a Googling sample shows that he likes to body paint himself to look like Venom. He looks to have a pretty twisted imagination. Hopefully Kenta won't turn out to be the next Yoshi Tatsu.
  #265  
Old 08-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,396
I think the New Nation must have gotten aborted once they realized they already had six episodes of NXT in the can where Xavier Woods was a face, and they didn't want him to be a face there and a heel on the main roster. Seth Rollins and Big E were both faces in NXT while they were heels on Raw, but that was before the network launched, and consistency was less important.
  #266  
Old 08-12-2014, 11:16 PM
LawMonkey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 4,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I think the New Nation must have gotten aborted once they realized they already had six episodes of NXT in the can where Xavier Woods was a face, and they didn't want him to be a face there and a heel on the main roster. Seth Rollins and Big E were both faces in NXT while they were heels on Raw, but that was before the network launched, and consistency was less important.
Maybe. But it'd be a change (for the better). Since I've been watching NXT (sometime post WM), continuity has run in one direction: From the main roster down to NXT. NXT continuity doesn't run uphill--so while Paige winning the "Divas" belt on Raw triggers a tourney for the NXT Women's belt, nobody on Raw comments on the fact that Bo Dallas was retired from NXT by losing a Loser Leaves Town match. (Well, "retired," anyway. Bo's retirement just made way for Mr NXT, who has hopefully posted bail from Full Sail Jail by now and will be making his triumphant return at NXT Takeover 2: Electric Boogaloo.)
  #267  
Old 08-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 15,173
OK, I admit it, I marked out the other night during John Cena's promo on RAW when he looked dead serious at the camera and said "And I know a lot of you are asking... when's Cena going to turn?" Cena reads the internets!

He managed to work it into his deliberations about the match with Lesnar, by insinuating he was going to have to be heelish to match the ferocity of his opponent. Cena's showing the same psychological discourse Mick Foley went through when he was trying to figure out how to get the ECW fans to hate him. He knew they despised Eric Bischoff, so he wore a shirt that had Bischoff's smarmy face with the words "Forgive Me Eric" underneath.

I'm actually kind of doubtful Cena will lose the belt to Brock. If Brock wins, he has to commit to a full-time schedule until March/April next year, at least as far as PPVs are concerned. As good as Seth Rollins is, I can't see him becoming champ, unless it's to lose in spectacular fashion to Roman Reigns next WM. Rollins and Ambrose simply can NOT resolve their feud with a lameberjack match. It has to be something like Thunderdome with chainsaws and barbed wire and flaming hoops.
  #268  
Old 08-14-2014, 06:47 AM
GoodOmens is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,154
I loved Cena's promo, even though he was going through some of his old tropes (calling out his hecklers, for example), and of course Heyman's work was amazing. I really hope that Lesnar doesn't win the title only because he is a strong candidate for the most boring person on the planet. I suspect we'll see a more physical, semi-heel style Cena in this match; I wouldn't be surprised, for that matter, to see Cena get DQ'd so the whole thing gets capped off at HITC.

Rollins won't cash in yet; he needs to resolve things with Ambrose, and I figure there's a feud with the Wyatts coming down the line for no good reason. The logical ending for Rollins/Ambrose could be a TLC match at...well...TLC, if they want to extend the feud out that long.
  #269  
Old 08-14-2014, 08:39 AM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 15,173
I've been listening to Steve Austin's podcasts on YouTube. He's a really amiable host. It's like hanging around with him in his living room. I listened to his interviews with Paul Heyman, Jim Cornette, Vader, and James Storm so far. It's fun to hear him reminisce with other wrestling veterans, and hear what these guys are like when they're not in character... which really only applies to Vader, as Heyman and Cornette are pretty much the same. :-)

I've lived in the southeast most of my life, so I've seen NWA and WCW before WWF became available. I've seen Jim Cornette's antics back when he managed The Midnight Express and Big Bubba (Ray Traylor, Big Bossman in WWE). He talked about the Mulky brothers, who were the best jobbers ever. They were two emaciated albinos who sold like every bone in their bodies got shattered. Cornette called them Mulkymania, and they started getting hugely over with the fans. He had a funny story about taking on the Mulkys in their home town of Anderson SC, ending with he and the ME escaping the venue as soon as they won the match, turning to see outraged villagers with torches and pitchforks in hot pursuit.
  #270  
Old 08-14-2014, 03:58 PM
That Don Guy's Avatar
That Don Guy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell Guy View Post
They are slowly adding older episodes of RAW. The latest one is 7/31/95.
That makes sense, especially as (like I said) they're doing the same thing with ECW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell Guy View Post
I've heard that Nitro will be added once RAW gets to 9/4/95, the date Nitro premiered. You can then relive the Monday Night Wars.
If they do show the old Nitros, I hope then include the Horsemen segments they cut out of the WWE On Demand broadcasts.

Last edited by That Don Guy; 08-14-2014 at 03:58 PM.
  #271  
Old 08-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,798
Does anyone listen to wrestling-centric podcasts?

I have two in my repertoires and my girlfriend has a third in hers.

I rather enjoy the Cheap Heat podcast on Grantland, and I REALLY love The Steel Cage podcast. My girlfriend likes those and also Talk is Jericho. Does anyone else have any recommendations?
  #272  
Old 08-15-2014, 11:12 AM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 15,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Does anyone listen to wrestling-centric podcasts?
Mainly Steve Austin's on YouTube, and whatever shows up in the suggestion column.
  #273  
Old 08-15-2014, 08:02 PM
FordTaurusSHO94 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,981
I like Steve Austin as a podcaster better than I did as a wrestler. His interviews with the Kliq are all great.
  #274  
Old 08-15-2014, 08:19 PM
P-man is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I've been listening to Steve Austin's podcasts on YouTube. He's a really amiable host. It's like hanging around with him in his living room. I listened to his interviews with Paul Heyman, Jim Cornette, Vader, and James Storm so far. It's fun to hear him reminisce with other wrestling veterans, and hear what these guys are like when they're not in character... which really only applies to Vader, as Heyman and Cornette are pretty much the same. :-)

I've lived in the southeast most of my life, so I've seen NWA and WCW before WWF became available. I've seen Jim Cornette's antics back when he managed The Midnight Express and Big Bubba (Ray Traylor, Big Bossman in WWE). He talked about the Mulky brothers, who were the best jobbers ever. They were two emaciated albinos who sold like every bone in their bodies got shattered. Cornette called them Mulkymania, and they started getting hugely over with the fans. He had a funny story about taking on the Mulkys in their home town of Anderson SC, ending with he and the ME escaping the venue as soon as they won the match, turning to see outraged villagers with torches and pitchforks in hot pursuit.
Was that the match where the Midnights decided to make it a long, competitive match and the Mulkeys (both heavy smokers) got completely blown up? BTW, I have a Mulkeymania t-shirt.
  #275  
Old 08-16-2014, 11:51 AM
LawMonkey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 4,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Mainly Steve Austin's on YouTube, and whatever shows up in the suggestion column.
Is that the same as the one on PodcastOne?

In addition to that, I listen to the Ross Report, with good ol' JR, and Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling. Talk is Jericho is a bit hit or miss--he draws from a wider pool of guests, and many of them I have no interest in.
  #276  
Old 08-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Martin Hyde is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,234
I listen to occasional downloads of the SCSA Show and the Ross Report, to be honest I stumbled onto the SCSA show about 8 months ago when looking for some random podcast to listen to on a long road trip and listened to 4 of his shows straight (Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Kevin Nash and Bischoff.) All were so good it got me back into watching wrestling again for the first time since the early 2000s.

My logic on Brock/Cena is the only result that makes sense is Cena losing the belts. I agree it's questionable having a part-time champion, but there's tons of precedent for it. Hogan was essentially a part time champion for much of his career. Daniel Bryan very recently held the belts for several months without wrestling a single match due to his injury.

The reasons for Brock winning:

Brock has a contract which is high dollar, but involves few appearances and even fewer matches. I'm assuming it stipulates x/number of "appearances" (like his crashing Hogan's b-day party or when he came down to shake H's hand for the SummerSlam match) and x/number of "matches." Since wrestling contracts are a guarded trade secret we only hear rumors, but I've heard the last 5-6 years Undertaker has had a standing agreement where WWE pays him $100k/pop anytime he wrestles. I imagine Brock's deal is probably in that range with a guaranteed number of matches so that Brock can make the money he wants to make in exchange for only working a match maybe 5-6 times a year.

All this is to say, Brock is a lot more expensive than Cena. Cena reportedly makes $3-4m + % of merch. But Cena can and is worked 300+ days a year, John Cena makes the same money regardless of his number of appearances, so Cena appearances are "cheap" in that WWE pays no marginal cost for having Cena wrestle. With Brock, they only get him a few times a year, so it only makes sense to use Brock in a way that makes WWE the most money and/or sets up the most important storylines.

Him vs Undertaker is an example of that, him beating the Undertaker likewise needs to have some serious storyline implications because it not only cost a lot of money to put those guys together at WM30, it cost a lot of long-built storyline capital to end the Undertaker's streak.

So all that being said, does it make sense to use the very valuable storyline "capital" Brock has from his defeat of Undertaker, plus the expensive nature of having Brock wrestle, to have Brock put Cena over? I say no. Because Cena is the most over guy in WWE, he beats everyone almost every time. He's Superman mixed with Captain America and Batman and Jesus. There's no "need" to put Cena over.

Is there a need to fill a Summerlam Main Event slot? Yes. Does Cena need to be in that slot? I argue probably not, but WWE thought so after Daniel Bryan went down. So that says to me if you "need" Cena in that spot, do you also need Brock Lesnar? I don't think so, actually. I think there were a lot of good alternates to Brock if you just wanted a villain for Cena to defeat. Start up a bigger feud with Randy 2-3 months ago, or there are various triple threat / fatal four way matches I can think of that, if the only need is to get people to watch and have Cena keep the belt, make more sense than "wasting" a Brock Lesnar appearance.

It's very difficult to make new superstars, and the guy that knocks Lesnar off is going to get a huge push. Unless that guy is John Cena--because Cena cannot get a big push because he's already at the top, he cannot be pushed further. It makes far more sense to setup Lesnar to put over one of the up and coming faces (most likely Reigns) than it does to have him lose to John Cena.
  #277  
Old 08-16-2014, 02:39 PM
Martin Hyde is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,234
I also should mention I think SummerSlam is do or die for Bray Wyatt's character/career. As great as Wyatt is in the ring and even cutting promos, to me he's getting stale. His promos just fall flat when he loses every major match he is in, it'd be like all the stuff Undertaker did out of the ring (various supernatural stunts etc) if Taker lost every big match. It just makes your "evil villain" look like a boring clown.

I was one of the few "Internet" wrestling fans not outraged by Cena's win in the Last Man Standing match over Bray, because I thought Bray actually was made to look extremely strong in defeat. I said, there is no reason that loss has to derail Bray, and it didn't have to, but Bray hasn't really been used well since then. I think anything involving Jericho is great, but for some reason the Jericho--Wyatt feud isn't doing what I (suspect) it was intended to do--which is put Wyatt over.

WWE seems to get things backwards these days. It used to be when you wanted to have a big heel vs face feud, the heel was going to win a lot of matches. Maybe never cleanly, but win them. Especially on TV and even on the longer feuds the heel would win a lot of the "minor" PPV matches. Then finally you get to the blow off match at one of the "Big Four" PPVs and the face finally overcomes all the cheating and bullshit (sometimes with the aid of the match type, for example a cage match or HitC preventing shenanigans) to beat the heel and vanquish him once and for all.

When you do that, both the heel and the face look good in their respective roles. But Bray's feuds have largely seen him losing most of the build up matches and most of the in between matches. It makes it hard to understand how he can be regarded as a threatening heel.
  #278  
Old 08-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 15,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-man View Post
Was that the match where the Midnights decided to make it a long, competitive match and the Mulkeys (both heavy smokers) got completely blown up? BTW, I have a Mulkeymania t-shirt.
I remember Cornette promoting it back in the day. ME vs the Mulkies was being billed as the main event, so it was going to be at least a 20-minute match. I think ME would sell to the Mulks to make the match look competitive. I don't recall Cornette saying the Mulks were smokers, but he did say they were blowing up.

If I ever had the chance, I'd ask Cornette if they ever considered getting an actress or a lady wrestler like The Fabulous Moolah to play his mama. He played up the Mama's Boy angle big time. I would love to have seen an aged southern belle wearing fake furs and rhinestone-studded rings and spectacles, pulling along a bunch of poodles (with rhinestone-studded collars) and pinching her baby boy Jimmy's cheek.
  #279  
Old 08-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 15,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawMonkey View Post
Is that the same as the one on PodcastOne?
Dunno, but I guess so. He says he does a clean family-friendly show on Tuesdays and an uncensored version on Thursdays.
  #280  
Old 08-16-2014, 03:49 PM
LawMonkey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 4,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hyde View Post
He's Superman mixed with Captain America and Batman and Jesus.
Also, John Cena would win in a handicap match with them.

Poor Cesaro, by the way, reduced to working the slot previously alotted to a feud between a leprachaun who lives under the ring and a miniature bull.
  #281  
Old 08-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 15,173
Martin, it seems like everybody in the upper midcard gets a push which lasts for about a month, then they plummet. It's happening to Cesaro presently. Dolph Ziggler, Mark Henry and Wade Barrett went through similar periods.

Now it looks like the Wyatts are taking the plunge. Harper and Rowan lost clean to Show and Henry after losing 90% of their matches to the Usos. I'm pretty sure Bray will beat Jericho this weekend, but then I remember how creepazoids like Raven and Kevin Sullivan usually lost all their main event matches. I guess when the heel is doing too good a job at being a heel, the bookers don't think they need to be pushed any further.

I still like Bray's promos. He comes across as the single-minded zealot who forms an opinion based on the flimsiest of evidence and goes to Hell with it. Maybe since he won't have Harper & Rowan at ringside this weekend, he'll have a new disciple, somebody from Jericho's past, jump the Fozzy frontman.
  #282  
Old 08-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Martin Hyde is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,234
Raven is a good example, he definitely was effective despite almost always losing straight matches.

I really hope whatever happens they utilize Luke Harper appropriately, because that guy is probably one of the more underrated in ring talents in WWE right now.

I'm not sure what's going on with Show/Henry. I had just noticed that neither of them has really been on TV in awhile, and now they're both back at the same time in a tag time. I know they also are both two of the hire paid wrestlers, I wonder if WWE just felt like they weren't getting their money's worth so just pushed them both into the tag division without any clear idea as to where they are going.
  #283  
Old 08-16-2014, 10:51 PM
Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hyde View Post
I also should mention I think SummerSlam is do or die for Bray Wyatt's character/career. As great as Wyatt is in the ring and even cutting promos, to me he's getting stale. His promos just fall flat when he loses every major match he is in, it'd be like all the stuff Undertaker did out of the ring (various supernatural stunts etc) if Taker lost every big match. It just makes your "evil villain" look like a boring clown.

I was one of the few "Internet" wrestling fans not outraged by Cena's win in the Last Man Standing match over Bray, because I thought Bray actually was made to look extremely strong in defeat. I said, there is no reason that loss has to derail Bray, and it didn't have to, but Bray hasn't really been used well since then. I think anything involving Jericho is great, but for some reason the Jericho--Wyatt feud isn't doing what I (suspect) it was intended to do--which is put Wyatt over.

WWE seems to get things backwards these days. It used to be when you wanted to have a big heel vs face feud, the heel was going to win a lot of matches. Maybe never cleanly, but win them. Especially on TV and even on the longer feuds the heel would win a lot of the "minor" PPV matches. Then finally you get to the blow off match at one of the "Big Four" PPVs and the face finally overcomes all the cheating and bullshit (sometimes with the aid of the match type, for example a cage match or HitC preventing shenanigans) to beat the heel and vanquish him once and for all.

When you do that, both the heel and the face look good in their respective roles. But Bray's feuds have largely seen him losing most of the build up matches and most of the in between matches. It makes it hard to understand how he can be regarded as a threatening heel.
I wholly agree with everything here.

I've been saying for months (since his loss to DB which in the loss was a GREAT storyline) that he now has to win to keep any relevance, and he is the epitome of the "talk the talk, but doesn't walk the walk"
  #284  
Old 08-17-2014, 11:08 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 8,249
Wow! Cena got crushed. Rusev wins and Nikki turns (told ya)! Lesner looks unbeatable.

Fine Summerslam indeed.

Last edited by Biotop; 08-17-2014 at 11:09 PM.
  #285  
Old 08-17-2014, 11:15 PM
Cell Guy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 735
Brie vs Steph--an example of everything that's wrong with WWE today. As soon as Triple HHH came down I knew what was going to happen.

Ambrose vs Rollins--an example of how great WWE can be IF anyone ever figures out how to book the end of a match.

Cena vs BroooOOOOCK LESSSSSSNAR--If Cena shows up on Raw tomorrow I'll be all #lolcenawins. The only way the booking of that match works is if Cena doesn't show for at least a week. Two would be better, after NOC is best.
  #286  
Old 08-18-2014, 08:27 AM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 15,173
The lumberjack match was fanfuckingtastic. If every PPV from now on only had Rollins vs Ambrose, I'd still buy it. Well, continue to pay NINE NINETY NINE per month. Kind of sad that Hulk Hogan's promos are more about the WWE network than him, but he needs to pay off his ex-wife somehow.

After all that buildup, I thought Cena vs Lesnar would be a more competitive match, but it was basically an early F5 followed by 16 German Suplexes and another F5. I guess Cena gets a nice long vacay for his roadkill role.

Damn, Steph looks HAWt in that leather outfit. I'm still bored with the angle however, as it looks like we're in for more Total Divas fodder for the next few months. Waaah, my twin sister turned on me and she still has my Barbie dolls, waah.

Bray evens the score with Jericho, but I think something sick needs to happen. I know WWE wants to adhere to PG standards, but this feud needs some blood and fucked up shit. Jericho shocks Bray with the jacket, and Bray clocks Jericho was the kerosene-filled lantern, then FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

WWE seems intent at pulling on the patriotic heartstrings with the Rusev win. They even had a color guard with the Stars and Stripes (instead of which Zeb calls "bars"). At least Rusev's victories aren't squashes any more. I'm thinking he'll feud with Roman Reigns next, to prime double R for the WM showdown with Brrrrrrrock.

Did anybody else have problems with the feed? I kept getting freezes in large screen mode whenever there was a lot of activity, especially during the Rollins/Ambrose match. I guess all those bodies moving around clogged up the bandwidth.
  #287  
Old 08-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,798
Cena/Lesnar: I was so inordinately excited for this match and it left me feeling....eh. It was the same with the Lesnar/Taker match, it was so damn boring. I quick suplex here and there (x16) and then stand and wait. I wanted an actual match. I guess I understand the angle that it was "pure domination" and all that but I still wanted them to actually wrestle. Although I have to say I love Lesnar, he's so goddamn huge it's scary.

Ziggler/Miz: A Ziggler win? In the WWE? AND HE HAS A TITLE??!? WHAAT? That being said I love it. Good for him and good for the WWE giving us something we as fans want

Paige/AJ: A decent match! These ladies are one of the few who can wrestle so I was impressed with the showing. I'm also glad Paige won. Also there was lots of lesbian sexual tension and...you know...that's always fun.

Ambrose/Rollins: There are no words for this match. It was more main event-y than the main event. The two main guys were fantastic. The lumberjacks were fantastic. Damien Sandow being a lumberjack while dressed as a lumberjack was fantastic. Goldust is my hero. I loved every second of this match.

Rusev/Swagger: What a weird match. It was disjointed and I see absolutely no point in Rusev winning. It does nothing to advance his storyline or character.

Jericho/Wyatt: Decent, if forgettable, match. I'm glad Wyatt won cleanly because he needed it badly for his character

Stephanie/Brie: Call me wrong saying Steph wouldn't actually wrestle, although she didn't do much. I am 100% fine on the Nikki heel turn because it puts a diva angle that's interesting outside of the title run, plus it culminates in a Nikki/Brie match at 'mania??

Reigns/Orton: I hate Roman Reigns. Just hate him. He is John Cena 2.0 in every way shape and form. Only uses 3 moves? Check. Has a super-reigns moment in each match? Check. Fights for the good of all people? Check. Has an unimpressive finisher that he botches 4 out of 5 times? Check. If he is taking the belt from Lesnar than he has a looooong way to go.

Cesaro/RVD: What are they doing to poor Cesaro? Making him MORE of a heel? No one is buying this, have him face up and get back to storylines.
  #288  
Old 08-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Cell Guy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 735
At last night's TNA show Bully Ray told the locker room that he was leaving the company (for those that don't follow TNA, Bully Ray is better known as Bubba Ray Dudley). I've read that Devon is on a per appearence contract with TNA. If so, could the Dudley Boyz return to WWE? It would give a huge boost to the lackluster tag team division. Seriously, what tag teams exist right now?

The Usos
Stardust/Goldust
Rybaxel
Harper and Rowan

If I missed anyone, well, that shows how sad the tag team division is today.
  #289  
Old 08-18-2014, 01:38 PM
LawMonkey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 4,416
Slater Gator, baybee! The tag division is in miserable
shape, though. I expect the Ascension to drop the belts in September and get called up shortly thereafter.
  #290  
Old 08-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,396
So, just finished watching the replay, and boy, did I call this one wrong. Here's my post-mortem;

Ziggler d. Miz: Ziggler has been a jobber so long, I didn't expect him to win, but it makes sense to have a face holding the secondary title since Brock is going to be on the top for awhile now. The big question is where Miz goes from here - if it were me booking it, I'd have him turn into an introverted, Sunset Boulevard-esque fallen star who's convinced he's still on top and freaks out when people don't cheer for him the way they used to.

Paige d. AJ: Well, we're now guaranteed at least one more title match between these two at NoC, which'll be #5. And if AJ wins there, a sixth at HIAC.

Rusev d. Swagger by TKO: So, apparently a flag match is just a regular match where they raise the flag at the end, I.e. "every single match Rusev has these days". The ending to this one was just weird - between the build and having the Army color guard present it seemed like a natural setup for a babyface victory, but then they just had Rusev camel-clutch his way into victory again (and what ever happened to the ref holding up the arm three times to make sure he's out?) Hopefully this feud isn't over - an "I quit" match somewhere down the road would be a good finale.

Rollins d. Ambrose: Well, at least I called this one right - the match went off the rails fast, Rollins made a run for it, and the Authority tried to intervene, though it was nice to finally see the "Kane marches out and the heel wins the match because he says so" setpiece blow up in his face, at least temporarily. As with the above, no way is this feud over yet - this needs to conclude with either a Hell in a Cell match, or a straight-up CZW-style hardcore brawl.

Wyatt d. Jericho: Bray gets his win back from Battleground, clean. Jericho is going on the road again with Fozzy after Night of Champions, so presumably there's going to be a final blowoff there.

Stephanie d. Brie: The ending to this match was just stupid. Nikki turns for no good reason (I'm sure we'll hear some promo tonight about how Brie was getting all the attention and SHE wants to be a star, waah waah waah) and we get yet another screwjob authority figure ending that makes the heel look like an ineffectual twit who can't win a fight on their own. It's a lot more fun watching a match where the heel wins decisively because they're the better fighter (as seen in several other matches on this card) as opposed to one where the heel wins because the person running the company can openly and blatantly rig the match in their favor without consequences, especially when they've done that ending like fifty times since the beginning of the Authority storyline (which is now exactly a year old, and about four months past its expiration date) and when there's no guarantee that the face ever will get their big win or the heel will get their comeuppance (and that's why people responsible for writing the product should never appear on camera, but that's a topic for another time.)

Reigns d. Orton: This one went about the way I expected it. I thought Orton was going to win for a second when they did the "RKO-counter-opponent's finisher-counter-RKO-pin" spot that ends all of Orton's matches these days, but they had the common sense to have Reigns kick out and get his victory. I like the blue details on Reigns' tactical vest better than the green ones he was wearing previously, but they still both look silly compared to the plain vest he was wearing while in the Shield.

Lesnar d. Cena: I was expecting Lesnar to win decisively, but I didn't think it would be that decisive. I thought the fight was over after that first F5, and what followed was less a match than it was an execution. I was worried for awhile that they would have Cena win somehow and then do a quickie job for Seth Rollins, but thankfully they had the common sense not to go with that. Going forward, I think we can assume Brock will make no more than three or four title defenses between now and WrestleMania (I'd say at NoC, HIAC, Royal Rumble, and Elimination Chamber), and whether it's Reigns or Bryan who faces him at 'Mania I think really comes down to whether Bryan is capable of returning to the ring in time to win the Royal Rumble.
  #291  
Old 08-18-2014, 03:47 PM
Cell Guy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
It's a lot more fun watching a match where the heel wins decisively because they're the better fighter (as seen in several other matches on this card) as opposed to one where the heel wins because the person running the company can openly and blatantly rig the match in their favor without consequences, especially when they've done that ending like fifty times since the beginning of the Authority storyline (which is now exactly a year old, and about four months past its expiration date) and when there's no guarantee that the face ever will get their big win or the heel will get their comeuppance (and that's why people responsible for writing the product should never appear on camera, but that's a topic for another time.)
You articulated this much better than I could. If the heels never get their comeuppance then why should we watch?

Quote:
Lesnar d. Cena: I was expecting Lesnar to win decisively, but I didn't think it would be that decisive. I thought the fight was over after that first F5, and what followed was less a match than it was an execution. I was worried for awhile that they would have Cena win somehow and then do a quickie job for Seth Rollins, but thankfully they had the common sense not to go with that. Going forward, I think we can assume Brock will make no more than three or four title defenses between now and WrestleMania (I'd say at NoC, HIAC, Royal Rumble, and Elimination Chamber), and whether it's Reigns or Bryan who faces him at 'Mania I think really comes down to whether Bryan is capable of returning to the ring in time to win the Royal Rumble.
The execution aspect is why Cena should not appear on Raw this week. He needs to sell the beating he took for at least a week before asking for the rematch.

As for Brock's opponent at 'Mania, Triple HHH wants Reigns while Vince wants:

SPOILER:
The Rock


Wasn't David Arquette in the audience last night? Might as well give the belt back to him!
  #292  
Old 08-18-2014, 04:44 PM
FordTaurusSHO94 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,981
Cena has been missing Raw lately to film a movie, so he'll probably be doing that, if he can crawl out of bed after all those suplexes.

I don't know who could beat Lesnar, but it's not Reigns. Two moves won't take down the beast. If Cesaro was booked properly, he could do it, he's strong enough and tough enough, but the writers are terrible.
  #293  
Old 08-18-2014, 06:11 PM
Martin Hyde is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,234
My thoughts:

Ziggler vs The Miz: I was surprised because I thought the powers that be in WWE had written Ziggler off. However, he has been consistently getting huge crowd reactions for 2-3 months in spite of being story line buried. That's the kind of the thing creative does listen to after some point, at least usually. It'll be interesting to see if he can sustain momentum.

Paige vs AJ: I'm someone that thinks women's wrestling is boring and doesn't need to exist. However, this match was okay, decently wrestled and it only made sense for Paige to win this one in their rivalry.

Rusev vs Swagger: I really like Rusev in the ring, he plays a cowardly heel, a cheap heel, a monster heel, all in one, and he does it pretty well. He's athletic, energetic, and he also can sell really well. I think Rusev is a genuine talent. Swagger on the other hand is a decent talent who has the "look" but no charisma, and a bad habit of seriously injuring other wrestlers (ask Wade Barrett.) I think Lana is good for what she is. I used to like Zeb, but he's getting stale now, and his whole purpose was to speak for Swagger since Swagger cannot talk on a mic, but Zeb has fumbled his way through almost all his spoken word moments the past 2-3 months.

I suspect there's a chance that this feud ends and they move Rusev in another direction. If not, I think Zeb's days are numbered and Swagger's may be too, at least as a singles competitor (I could see him becoming a dreg like Curtis Axel or something.)

Rollins v Ambrose: This was probably the best actual match of the night, and the lumberjacks were used to great effect, especially when they all turned on Kane. These two are really shining as the legitimate stars of the Shield, it's unfortunate WWE has chosen to push Reigns more.

Wyatt v Jericho: Bray needed the win, the match was decently worked. I felt this match was a let down because I think these two are in the upper percentile of workers in the company and thus I was expecting a classic match. I felt it was just an average match that didn't tell a very exciting story. If Reigns and Batista had worked it I'd be amazed because it's way beyond their capacity, but for these two I was left feeling "you could have given us better."

Stephanie v Brie: I actually thought this was decently wrestled. Stephanie used a lot of traditional "real" wrestling moves and showcased her "power" relative to Brie. I liked that it felt like two women wrestling a match versus a "women's" wrestling match. The ending was storyline stupid, but this whole storyline is in and of itself pretty stupid. The Bella twins exist in WWE because of their physical appearance, neither can do anything creative or worthwhile and while Stephanie is normally a great heel she can't carry this thing herself.

Reigns v Orton: I said this was going to be a big match for Reigns because it was going to be a lengthy singles match. Not a match where Reigns can "hide" in the format (due to it being a 8 person ladder match, four way match etc.) Reigns excels in matches where he can be off camera for a long time then come in and do his 2-3 moves and get a pinfall, because frankly Reigns doesn't have the wrestling chops to do much else. I said if he could work a good singles match with Randy, there's a chance Reigns will grow into the wrestler WWE is going to paint him to be.

I came away...unsure if that will happen. I'm not saying Reigns will never develop any talent, but he didn't wow me either. I do have to say he seemed to work a "slowed down" match, and I think that was smart. I think he knew that a fast paced match would exhaust his move set too quickly and, for him, get repetitive. I don't intrinsically hate slower paced matches (it's possible to have a good slow paced wrestling match.) So I think strategically Reigns was correct to work slow. He took some decent spots from Randy.

Lesnar v Cena: Boring "wrestling" match, but told a great story. And it was a squash match, storyline wise the squash needed to happen but I'm surprised WWE pulled the trigger. That being said, because they had pulled the trigger I think Brock/Cena played it exactly as it needed to be played. Cena sold the pain being inflicted on him very well. Lesnar played the "animal toying with his prey" very, very well. This told a perfect story in the ring and that's what wrestling is actually about, so it has to be regarded as a job well done, even if it was technically uninteresting. The novelty of seeing the company's top face beaten in a 20 minute squash match in the main event of one of the Big 4 PPVs is worth the price of admission.

Long term view:

-I think Cena gets some props for doing this. Hogan, Michaels, Bret, Austin, Rock, I genuinely do not believe any of those guys, in their prime (and not later when they were just novelty appearances) would have willingly hurt their brand by losing this way. Cena did the job, probably only HHH would have been willing to do the same (but he's basically part of management so it almost doesn't count.)

-I head Heyman say in an interview Lesnar being a part time presence could be good for the WWE Championship. I actually think this may be true. One of my biggest criticisms of Hulk Hogan in his WCW days was he almost never appeared on TV. I stand by that criticism because Hogan held the WCW title for such a huge portion of his time with that company, that for months on end that belt would feel "asleep." On the other hand, I do think you can overexpose a champion. And when the champion is himself already massively overexposed, I think that's a bad thing. Cena has been on top for ten years, largely because the WWE has failed to produce a lot of superstars who can either avoid injury or avoid basically wanting to leave. Even just a year ago when CM Punk was still around I think Cena was at least sharing the spotlight to a degree. But over the past ten years WWE has lost Austin, Michaels, Undertaker, Edge, Jericho, The Rock, CM Punk...and they've really not replaced them with anyone (I know some of those wrestlers occasionally still appear.) I think over the past year the hatred of Cena was hitting an all time high because he was so overexposed with no one else to showcase.

Further, the WWE Championship was itself overexposed, and devalued. Largely because regardless of who was holding it (be it Cena or Daniel Bryan or even Randy) all they could do is rehash old feuds. I mean DB vs Kane has been done a lot, and that was the best they could do with DB's time as champion.

I think WWE will actually benefit from having an unbeatable monster who only comes out for special occasions. We could see Brock do 5 title defenses against any number of guys and anything but a rematch with Cena will feel fresh because Lesnar has been out of the game for so long.

It'll be interesting to see where WWE goes with it, but I don't know that a champion who isn't involved in Raw every week (which frankly is a show often poorly booked and ran, which hurts the important/prestige of the title and the titleholder to even be on when it involves something stupid) is going to be a bad thing. I wouldn't want to see this go on for 5 years, but until WM31 I think it can do the WWE good to not have their champion on every single Raw doing bad storytelling because they run out of good ideas. I think the scarcity of Lesnar's contracted wrestling appearances means creative has a lot of incentive to use them wisely, instead of how they use superstars like Kane/Daniel Bryan/Cena/Bray Wyatt who they can go to 2 times a week.
  #294  
Old 08-19-2014, 09:11 AM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 15,173
Looks like Dean Ambrose will be gone for a few months, as he'll be playing a cop (who probably breaks all the rules) in a WWE-produced movie. In a way, that's a good thing, as the feud with Rollins won't flair out too early. I'm going to miss that crazy fucker though.

Rollins has become the Dark Lord version of Dolph Ziggler. Maybe they'll have him feud with Reigns in the interim. Somebody has to make Reigns look good until he challenges Brrrrrrrock.
  #295  
Old 08-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Cell Guy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 735
"What? It's for charity!"

Dean Ambrose is a character I can get behind. Too bad he's off to do the movie. WWE could use a good face right now.

After my complaint about the tag division they have two pretty decent tag matches. Hopefully they continue to build up tag teams.

Rusev finally got his via Mark Henry. This could be a good feud, especially if they plan on feeding Rusev to Lesnar.

I usually don't like the idea of a part timer holding the belt, but in this case it may work. It will hopefully make the champion's appearances special and elevate the status of the belt. Then they can build up the other belts and make holding them something special. Elevating the US and IC belts would lead to better midcard storylines and help make the next superstar.

And thanks to this thread I am now back into the current product. My wife thanks all of you!
  #296  
Old 08-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Looks like Dean Ambrose will be gone for a few months, as he'll be playing a cop (who probably breaks all the rules) in a WWE-produced movie. In a way, that's a good thing, as the feud with Rollins won't flair out too early. I'm going to miss that crazy fucker though.

Rollins has become the Dark Lord version of Dolph Ziggler. Maybe they'll have him feud with Reigns in the interim. Somebody has to make Reigns look good until he challenges Brrrrrrrock.
That genuinely makes me upset because Dean Ambrose is the best thing to happen to the wwe in ages.

He made me laugh the second hardest* I have laughed with his "What? It's for charity!" line. And can we appreciate Seth Rollins taking that bucket to the face? That hard to hurt like hell.

I think Mark Henry being the next foe for Rusev is a good call. He seems big and imposing and American...he's also the only black guy Rusev DIDN'T face.




*Number one being when Bo Dallas did his victory lap around the ring and took out El Torito.
  #297  
Old 08-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
That genuinely makes me upset because Dean Ambrose is the best thing to happen to the wwe in ages.

I think Mark Henry being the next foe for Rusev is a good call. He seems big and imposing and American...he's also the only black guy Rusev DIDN'T face.
Ambrose's character has just the right combination of technical prowess and Mankind-ish psycho insanity to make him great, and it's a shame that they've decided to push Reigns over him, because an Ambrose/Lesnar match would probably be amazing.

I actually predicted they'd be doing Henry vs. Rusev way back in May, though I got the circumstances all wrong - I thought it'd be at Summerslam and that Rusev would be United States Champion at this point. (I'm actually surprised they haven't had Rusev chase the US title, as a way of permanently proving that the US is inferior to VLADAMEEEEEER POOOOOTIN.)
  #298  
Old 08-19-2014, 11:25 PM
LawMonkey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 4,416
I'm gonna miss Dean Ambrose. They've got lightning in a bottle with that kid; hopefully they'll treat him right. Also, hopefully he'll come down and beat the crap out of the announce table one day for dismissing him as "crazy, unstable, etc." Unorthodox? Sure. Eccentric? Definitely. But there's a real heart that beats in that wifebeater clad, frequently bandaged chest--even though Traitorface Rollins has been doing his best to rip it out and curbstomp it. He's a real person (well, he's a fictional character, but you understand what I mean), with real feelings; marginalizing those by calling him crazy would be irritating, even if this wasn't the WWE announce table and they only did it once rather than a non-stop repetitious patter about it during the entire match.

Speaking of the announce table, it was rough sledding on last night's RAW, even by the low standards of JBL/Maggle/Lawler. JBL especially... over at Uproxx, where I usually keep an eye on the live thread once I'm caught up to live, the joke was that he was drunk. I don't think he was drunk, but he was unusually obnoxious last night, and nobody could find his off switch.

To end on a positive note: Aleksandr Rusev should be giving some sort of seminar on How To Sell to the rest of the locker room. Last night's was a pretty solid Raw on balance, with some weak and WTF? spots thrown in because WWE, but I think the only time I jumped out of my chair, clapped, and squeed for joy was when Rusev actually sold an injury that happened on another episode of my wrassleshow. Maybe he's hanging out with Dean, I dunno. But seeing him do that made me suddenly invest right into this guy's future. He'll have to (IMO) shed the foreign heel gimmick eventually, and (definitely) get out of this streak angle somehow, but he's got a better idea of what it means to tell a story in the ring than most of the roster right now. Na zdrovye, moi droog!
  #299  
Old 08-20-2014, 12:12 AM
Martin Hyde is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,234
Yeah, I felt the same way about Rusev after his match with Big E in which Rusev showed he could really sell. He already had all the in ring energy, strength, "look" etc, but make him turn out to be able to sell like a champ and he's golden. Not to mention he's also very good at playing the cowardly heel, and in pretty much the most old school way possible--body language and facial expressions, much like a wrestler from before the age of constant promos.

I feel his streak isn't as big a deal for him either way. Since he's openly played the cowardly heel (albeit one who can still wrestle) for the past 1.5 months or so, I don't think it really hurts him when it ends. He's not a Goldberg who is only a streak and nothing more. He has a pretty easy out of his pro-Russia gimmick, a "break up" with Lana (who is booked as a real Russian) and now he's just Bulgarian Rusev without a long-legged reason to stay Russian.

The only thing is, while most women in wrestling add little, Lana is actually pretty good in my opinion, at least at what she does. But split from Rusev I don't see any point in her character.
  #300  
Old 08-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawMonkey View Post
Speaking of the announce table, it was rough sledding on last night's RAW, even by the low standards of JBL/Maggle/Lawler. JBL especially... over at Uproxx, where I usually keep an eye on the live thread once I'm caught up to live, the joke was that he was drunk. I don't think he was drunk, but he was unusually obnoxious last night, and nobody could find his off switch.
I HAAAAATTTEEEE JBL.

There is nothing important that ever comes out of his mouth ever. He does nothing for announcing, nothing to push storylines, nothing at all. ever.

And he was just on another level last night. I guess I understand the importance of a heel announcer, but he is just too much
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017