Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:53 PM

This article is the most depressing analysis of the Democrats I've ever seen. And when I say depressing I mean, "Wildly entertaining":

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...revival-214650

Quote:
But all that took decades, and Democrats have no time. What are they going to do next? There hasn’t been an American political party in worse shape in living memory. And there may never have been a party less ready to confront it.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:55 PM

This was worthy of recording here for posterity. Fuck you, Bill Maher:

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/...-k-you-w465015

FWIW, I wasn't a Patriots fan until it got all political.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:17 PM

http://i.imgur.com/HrM4Mgi.jpg is what makes the Pats amazing comeback victory some sweet, sweet schadenfreude

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 02-06-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:42 PM

Who would have thunk?

92% of left-wing activists live with their parents and one in three is unemployed, study of Berlin protesters finds

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html#comments
Old 02-09-2017, 07:14 AM
Mod Rocker

Actually, the genuine report noted only that 92% of those arrested for violence in demonstrations lived with their parents. In fact, all the statistics presented referred only to those arrested.
Now, if one wishes to conclude that young left-wing demonstrators tend to be violent and live with their parents, (in specific situations in Berlin), one is free to do so.
Presenting a misleading (and erroneous) headline as if it referred to all left-wing protestors as a "fact" is something I would expect from Spicer or Conway.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
http://i.imgur.com/HrM4Mgi.jpg is what makes the Pats amazing comeback victory some sweet, sweet schadenfreude
The Patriots are white supremacists??
Old 02-10-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit View Post
The Patriots are white supremacists??
No, that some (very dumb) people think they are.

ETA: "very dumb" was directed at the people raging on Twitter, not Spit

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 02-10-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
Actually, the genuine report noted only that 92% of those arrested for violence in demonstrations lived with their parents. In fact, all the statistics presented referred only to those arrested.
Now, if one wishes to conclude that young left-wing demonstrators tend to be violent and live with their parents, (in specific situations in Berlin), one is free to do so.
Presenting a misleading (and erroneous) headline as if it referred to all left-wing protestors as a "fact" is something I would expect from Spicer or Conway.
Yet all Trump supporters are routinely described as racists/homophobes/ignorant on this board but no one says a thing...

Odd, isn't it?

Slee
Old 02-10-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
No, that some (very dumb) people think they are.
Have they not seen the racial makeup of the team? My first thought would not be, "White Supremacist".
Old 10-25-2017, 05:14 PM

Okay, be honest here. Who is going to the Sky Scream in a couple of weeks?

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 10-25-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And this will be different from every other day since the election - how, exactly?

Regards,
Shodan
Old 10-26-2017, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Just what is it that you think you've won? How is the country and the world better off for it? Is it more than getting the libruls mad, or was that really the entire point, as the last couple of posts make it appear?
Old 10-26-2017, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I hurt inside when I saw that.

Then I realized how hugely superior to white nationalist marches it would be and I remembered that at the lowest of our lows we are leagues above the highest of your highs.

And that's schadenfreude.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Certainly more exciting and interesting. A "tacky torch" actually burns, sorta kinda. How does that compare with the flashlight on a smartphone, carried about on a selfie-stick?
Old 10-26-2017, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

The sale of tiki torches actually creates jobs at Pier One. The sanes already own their selfie sticks.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
I hurt inside when I saw that.

Then I realized how hugely superior to white nationalist marches it would be and I remembered that at the lowest of our lows we are leagues above the highest of your highs.

And that's schadenfreude.
LOL! Yeah, your side has done a bang-up job embodying the "when they go low, we go high" ideal since the election. I'm sure Steve Scalise has no complaints about the lowest of your lows. </Sarcasm>

ETA: the kind of self-delusion needed to write something like "at the lowest of our lows we are leagues above the highest of your highs" is truly impressive.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 10-26-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:08 AM
Charter Member

You people elected Donald Trump. So maybe your low is pretty fucking low. Like, really really really really low.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
You people elected Donald Trump. So maybe your low is pretty fucking low. Like, really really really really low.
Perhaps, but Exapno Mapcase wasn't talking about our low. He was talking about our high.

Reading comprehension: it's not for everyone, apparently.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestak View Post
Yet all Trump supporters are routinely described as racists/homophobes/ignorant on this board but no one says a thing...

Odd, isn't it?

Slee
It's very odd.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Certainly more exciting and interesting. A "tacky torch" actually burns, sorta kinda. How does that compare with the flashlight on a smartphone, carried about on a selfie-stick?
Quite favourably. It's hard to light a cross with a smartphone on a stick.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

OK, so what's your high?
Old 10-27-2017, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yet all Trump supporters are routinely described as racists/homophobes/ignorant on this board
Got any ideas as to why?
Old 10-27-2017, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
OK, so what's your high?
I'd say it's the wonderful compassion shown after gun massacres by insisting that no one inject politics into a tragedy by asking whether reasonable gun controls could possibly help prevent future deaths.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...could possibly help prevent future deaths.
Boy, you guys are all about how natural and organic you are! But tell me, what is more natural than death? In one case, passing away, old. in a bed surrounded by loved ones, another due to bleeding out from an unexpected introduction of metal pellets. Objectively speaking, the same thing! Checkmate, gun grabbers!

(And even if it turned out that the Sandy Hook Unfortunate Events were totally fake, a truth stands out. That nothing, no outrage so vile and repulsive, is going to change these people's minds! That, and snowflakes on my morning glories is the kind of morning its been....)
Old 10-27-2017, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
the Sandy Hook Unfortunate Events were totally fake, ...
Gosh, I stand corrected because you are so right, er, correct about that. What could possibly be a greater gift to all those parents than proof that the "dead" "children" were merely crisis actors?

Nothing the left does compares to this. Nothing. Nothing at all. Truly such honors are exclusively hogged by the right.

We must make it illegal not to stand and salute whenever the false flag is flown during the national asylum.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'd say it's the wonderful compassion shown after gun massacres by insisting that no one inject politics into a tragedy by asking whether reasonable gun controls could possibly help prevent future deaths.
Border patrol agents hovering over a 10-year-old girl with cerebral palsy who'd just undergone surgery as though she's some kind of mob boss, taking her away from her parents and initiating the process of deporting her to a country she hasn't lived in since she was three months old, is definitely a big step forward toward Making America Great Again, and something Trump voters should feel a lot of pride over— showing to the world, as it does, that we have our priorities firmly in order.

It's hard for me to imagine how that one will be topped, but my imagination is really taking a beating these days, and frankly could use some time off.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:30 PM

You don't need to imagine, you only need to wait.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
You don't need to imagine, you only need to wait.
Or do some research of the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli%C3%A1n_Gonz%C3%A1lez
Old 10-27-2017, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

I appreciate your stalwart dedication to Both-Sides-Do-It-ism, particularly when your examples are so embarrassingly feeble. It can't be easy.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:03 PM

Yeah. A gun pointed at a terrified child in a raid is feeble.

Last edited by octopus; 10-27-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
I appreciate your stalwart dedication to Both-Sides-Do-It-ism, particularly when your examples are so embarrassingly feeble. It can't be easy.
So feeble that it's identical.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Yes, a several-months-long legal process resulting in a ruling by a family court judge that the boy's father held custody rights leading to a literal knock on a door raid even though they were entering a house full of weapons and people with criminal records [from your cite] who warned the government "If people try to come in, they could be hurt." is exactly equivalent to a probably unprecedented event of ICE interfering in a case of a child requiring emergency surgery and being separated from her mother for the first time.

#fakenews #limbo #howlowcantheygo
Old 10-28-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Got any ideas as to why?
Certainly. It is much, much easier to labeled those you disagree with as evil than it is to take a step back, listen and try to understand. Not only is it easier, it has the added bonus of making the person doing the labelling feel all self-righteous and gooey inside for signaling their virtue.

The country has descended to Twitter level discourse. If it can't fit in 140 characters it is too long. Kang bad, Kodos good!

Rational discourse is pretty much absent everywhere. Logic is for suckers, ideals are for losers. Emotions and group membership are all that matter.

That leads to Trump vs. Clinton. In a rational world, neither would have been nominated. Trump got it because a lot of regular people are tired of being fed shit after the politicians promise steak. Clinton got it because the DNC bosses decided it was her turn. Throw in that capable and honest people won't run because they do want to swim in the sewer that is our current political environment and we end up with this fucking mess.

So, yeah, I know why.

Slee
Old 10-28-2017, 08:56 PM

That story of the girl with cerebral palsy is so fucking disgusting, I don't know where to start. It's telling that the only response is whataboutism.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Certainly. It is much, much easier to labeled those you disagree with as evil than it is to take a step back, listen and try to understand.
OK, can you help us "understand" why racial and sexual animus and ignorance are not evil?

Quote:
The country has descended to Twitter level discourse. If it can't fit in 140 characters it is too long. Kang bad, Kodos good!

Rational discourse is pretty much absent everywhere. Logic is for suckers, ideals are for losers. Emotions and group membership are all that matter.
Speak for yourself. It isn't like that in every environment, just the ones you choose to wallow in.

Quote:
Throw in that capable and honest people won't run because they do want to swim in the sewer that is our current political environment and we end up with this fucking mess.

So, yeah, I know why.

Slee
Are you doing anything to fix the problem? If not, why not? Is it that it's just so much fun to denounce and equivocate instead?
Old 10-29-2017, 09:10 PM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Yeah. A gun pointed at a terrified child in a raid is feeble.
Well, when the gun being pointed is AGAIN under the orders of a Republican president, it does not seem to make much of a point.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's hard for me to imagine how that one will be topped, but my imagination is really taking a beating these days, and frankly could use some time off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
1) Parents, desperate for lifesaving medical care for their infant daughter, sneak into the US with her. Ten years later their girl has never been back to Mexico; she's psychologically a five-year-old; she needs medical care. When she needs emergency surgery, Border Patrol catches her and plans to deport her back to Mexico, away from her parents and the life they've built for themselves and for her here. If she goes back, she'll lack the medical care that she desperately needs. They want to send her back in spite of the wishes of everyone who loves her, and will separate her family.
2) A mother takes her son away from his father without telling him to flee to the United States. She drowns, and the boy is rescued. The dad, still in Cuba, immediately asks for his son back. More distant relatives in the United States take this six-year-old boy and refuse to return him to his father. They tell him nasty things about his dad and coach him on video to say he doesn't want to go home. Despite unanimous court decisions to return the child to his dad, the distant relatives--backed by the anti-Castro political movement here--defied the courts. When custody was denied, they said that if anyone tried to remove the kid from their custody, "they could get hurt," implying a shootout. The police, facing this threat, went in with overwhelming force and took the kids from the people who were at that point essentially kidnappers. The kid was returned to his only surviving parent, in the only country he'd ever lived in, according to the wishes over every living relative who had known him.

These are alike...how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
Well, when the gun being pointed is AGAIN under the orders of a Republican president, it does not seem to make much of a point.
Nitpick: Gonzalez's case went down in 2000, during Clinton's term. Or is that not what you meant?

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 10-29-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:33 PM

It appears that someone RESISTed:

https://apnews.com/e0d08e49bc1d468cb...f-interruption

Quote:
President Donald Trump’s Twitter account briefly disappeared Thursday evening, but is now back up and running ... Twitter later said the deactivation “was done by a Twitter customer support employee who did this on the employee’s last day.”
Old 11-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
These are alike...how?
I like to think of it as an intelligence test. I call it QI. If you proclaim that vastly dissimilar events are equivalent on the basis of "both sides do it" or believe someone who claims this, your QI is up over 100. QI scores can be calculated for most online discourse. If you're a birther or truther or moon hoaxer, or a creationist or a climate denier, or think that Donald Trump doesn't lie every time he opens his mouth, your QI is very high indeed.

It's a fun game reading some threads here on the Dope and assigning QI to the posters. To oneself, of course. Doing it out loud would be jerkish.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:59 PM

LOL, they really went through with it: http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know...rumps-election

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfgIawRDQM4

I hope this becomes an annual event, at least through 2020/4.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
LOL, they really went through with it: http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know...rumps-election

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfgIawRDQM4

Given his sinking approval ratings, no doubt by then the din will be deafening.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:30 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein Monster View Post
I'm a (very) bleeding heart liberal myself but even I never thought Trump's presidency is going to be as bad as some people seem to think.
Do you still feel the same way?

Last edited by Spectre of Pithecanthropus; 11-30-2017 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Keith Olbermann is 'out his damn mind' (trigger warning: dementia is a sad thing to watch)

Somebody mentioned in another thread that the left needs an Alex Jones of their own. Hey guys, I think I found him for you.
I had to go back and read this thread from the beginning (and it was hilarious, particularly the first 20 or so posts) to find this post where I brought up Keith Olbermann's ranting. He is now "retiring from political commentary". Keith, we bid you adieu.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Lock him up!
Old 12-02-2017, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
1) Parents, desperate for lifesaving medical care for their infant daughter, sneak into the US with her. Ten years later their girl has never been back to Mexico; she's psychologically a five-year-old; she needs medical care. When she needs emergency surgery, Border Patrol catches her and plans to deport her back to Mexico, away from her parents and the life they've built for themselves and for her here. If she goes back, she'll lack the medical care that she desperately needs. They want to send her back in spite of the wishes of everyone who loves her, and will separate her family.
2) A mother takes her son away from his father without telling him to flee to the United States. She drowns, and the boy is rescued. The dad, still in Cuba, immediately asks for his son back. More distant relatives in the United States take this six-year-old boy and refuse to return him to his father. They tell him nasty things about his dad and coach him on video to say he doesn't want to go home. Despite unanimous court decisions to return the child to his dad, the distant relatives--backed by the anti-Castro political movement here--defied the courts. When custody was denied, they said that if anyone tried to remove the kid from their custody, "they could get hurt," implying a shootout. The police, facing this threat, went in with overwhelming force and took the kids from the people who were at that point essentially kidnappers. The kid was returned to his only surviving parent, in the only country he'd ever lived in, according to the wishes over every living relative who had known him.

These are alike...how?

Nitpick: Gonzalez's case went down in 2000, during Clinton's term. Or is that not what you meant?
So just to be clear, unaccompanied minors should be sent back to their parents?
Old 12-02-2017, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

You apparently mean "clear" in its colloquial sense, much the way my childhood peers referred to things that were enjoyable/exciting "bad" or "wicked," or someone who has just trod barefoot into fresh dog shit might exclaim "great"?
Old 12-02-2017, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Why? Are we better off as a nation and a people for it?
Old 12-02-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
You apparently mean "clear" in its colloquial sense, much the way my childhood peers referred to things that were enjoyable/exciting "bad" or "wicked," or someone who has just trod barefoot into fresh dog shit might exclaim "great"?
The Elian case has always intrigued me, because the people most vociferous that he must be sent back to Cuba were the same people who were generally liberal on immigration. And then a decade later, thought it the height of cruelty to send unaccompanied minors back to their families.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
So just to be clear, unaccompanied minors should be sent back to their parents?
Just to be clear, not necessarily.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:30 AM

There should be a fairly easy to explain rationale for why Elian should go back but not a Honduran kid.
Closed Thread