Old 07-02-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChord568 View Post
Ryan is my representative, and while I don't dislike him, I've never been exactly enamored with him either.

But I believe he's absolutely right about one thing: the Dems have to fight the perception of being a coastal party and start paying more attention to the working class in the middle of the country. That was one of Hilary's many mistakes.

My county and the one immediately to our north have been unquestioned Democratic strongholds for decades. The one to the north went for Trump in 2016, and my county came very close to doing the same. That was simply unprecedented.

We can't have a repeat of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
Serious question: what does it mean to be a "coastal" party? Do working class voters on the coasts have different concerns than those in the interior do? Because really, I hear this and it just sounds like code for "stop talking about racial and gender justice issues". But guess what, there are a lot of minority and female working class voters in the Midwest, so...
Yes, there's a lot of coding at work in discussions of "coastal elites" and such.

Nevertheless, the Democratic nominee needs to spend more time in the mid-western and middle-Atlantic and generally 'rust-belt' areas than happened in 2016. The Democratic party must emphasize 'good jobs for everyone' as opposed to concentrating on language about reparations and such. 'Good jobs for everyone' doesn't leave out those who've suffered from generations of bias---it includes them.

It's a balancing act, without a doubt. But we lose if we let those hoping to divide us along racial-resentment or geographic-resentment lines, succeed.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
"Coastal" has a clear meaning to those not on the coasts, be it accurate or not. It evokes the old New Yorker cover of seeing the rest of the states as unimportant flyover country and the concerns of their voters as picayune and rather quaint. A candidate who hails from New York or California has that as a stereotype going in. Playing the part of the stereotype will lead to bad results. It only amplifies the impact of disregarding the real problems of less educated working class whites.
Which problems do "less educated working class whites" have that aren't shared by less educated working class people of other races? Why would a candidate who has won the votes of white working class people in New York or California be unable to appeal to white working class people in Iowa or Pennsylvania?
Old 07-02-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Her "big idea" so far is that mandatory busing was a good idea (voluntary was not) and is something that should be done today.
That's not a "big idea" she has, it was her 1st debate trap that she now has to ride out for a bit to not look full of crap. I'm betting she will ride it out soon enough. If Trump wants to bring it up in the general, I can imagine several ways Harris can be prepared for it.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Yes, there's a lot of coding at work in discussions of "coastal elites" and such.
Why don't we just call them what people who use that term really think they are:

Rich Jews who went to private colleges we can't afford, and will buy their kids' way into those same schools.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Which problems do "less educated working class whites" have that aren't shared by less educated working class people of other races? Why would a candidate who has won the votes of white working class people in New York or California be unable to appeal to white working class people in Iowa or Pennsylvania?
Serious answers.

1) The where they are predominantly located. Less educated minorities and whites living in and near cities have different potential action plans to address poverty and wealth inequality than do those living in smaller towns and rural locations. The urban poor and the rural poor live in different economies.

2) The lack of being mentioned as having problems worth addressing. Clinton's great "building bridges" to those in need of help very notably left these people off the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
Why don't we just call them what people who use that term really think they are:

Rich Jews who went to private colleges we can't afford, and will buy their kids' way into those same schools.
As a Jew I call bullshit on this. There definitely is anti-Semitism in this country, across the political spectrum, and perceptions (justified or not) about "flyover country" being looked down on if not just looked past and over by coastal elites is not it. Oh there are some who conflate their Jew-hating with anti-intellectualism and code wording New York and Hollywood .... but it is them overlapping their hate onto a perception that already exists of its own accord.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Yes Biden needs to attack mandatory busing as a bad idea today, clearly and forcefully, as the wrong approach to dealing with issues of racial justice and inequities. I think that would serve him well in the primaries and in the general.
...Biden absolutely 100% should not be attacking "mandatory busing", he should not be talking about busing at all, if there is any subject his handlers should be telling him to "never talk about" its the subject of busing. This is what Biden's handlers should do if he wants to mention busing. Zip it. Zip it! Zi-i-ip. Look! I'm "Zippy" Longstocking! When a problem comes along, you must zip it! Zip it good!

No good will come revisiting this. Let it go.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:15 AM

Agreed. It’s not that he took this position once upon a time, but that he teamed up with notorious segregationists on it.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:18 PM

I think in the context of choosing a candidate, it's not even that he took the position, but that he seemed completely flustered and unprepared when questioned about it, which was something he should have seen coming a mile a way.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:

1) The where they are predominantly located. Less educated minorities and whites living in and near cities have different potential action plans to address poverty and wealth inequality than do those living in smaller towns and rural locations. The urban poor and the rural poor live in different economies.
So why didn't you say "less educated working class rural people?"
Old 07-03-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post

As another Jew I think you're on to something. I don't think the majority of the people who use that term are consciously anti-Semitic, but it's...interesting...that the parts of the country that are being demonized just happen to be areas with large Jewish populations, as well as large immigrant populations.

Now to fulfill the joke DSeid and I have to come up with a third opinion between us.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Also, more to the point, large Democratic-voting populations, large non-northern-European populations, and large intellectual populations. Antisemitism might be a factor too but it's far from the only one or the main one.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:33 PM

What Elvis said. The Jewish thing strikes me as a bit of a stretch in 2019.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:57 PM

Yes, I agree that it's not the only factor or the main factor, but I do think it is a factor. I'm not sure why Elvis feels the need to raise this point since what I posted couldn't remotely be interpreted as saying it was the only or main factor, but whatevs.

Slacker, I don't know why you'd imply that anti-Semitism no longer exists in America, given the recent dramatic rise in anti-Semitic hate crimes. We're less than a year past the deadliest act of anti-Semitic terrorism in US history.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
what I posted couldn't remotely be interpreted as saying it was the only or main factor
It's the only one you thought worth mentioning, isn't it?
Old 07-03-2019, 01:09 PM

Um, no, actually, it wasn't. Try reading before replying.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
So why didn't you say "less educated working class rural people?"
“Coastal” is my part of the code for “not rural flyover” when used disparagingly. And regionally it is not far off. Even rural areas on the coast often have their economies driven by nearby cities. For most of the coasts a city is never too far away. Not so much as you move inland.

But yes you can also map this mindset onto rural v urban with much overlap to those who hold it
Old 07-03-2019, 02:24 PM

Yes a non-major factor. Not zero. But not in general “what people who use the term really think.”

Unfortunately not even two very different opinions here!

Off our game man.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Also, more to the point, large Democratic-voting populations, large non-northern-European populations, and large intellectual populations. Antisemitism might be a factor too but it's far from the only one or the main one.
No one looking at events of the past couple of years can doubt that explicit anti-Semitism is alive and well in the USA. I'd agree, though, that resentment of "coastal elites" encompasses not just anti-Semitism, but a general suspicion of anyone with an education---who is presumed to be looking down on the noble and virtuous less-educated Real Americans who do not live in them fancy beach houses along the coasts. (Or so the self-mythologizing goes.)

There's a whole cauldron of hatred and wounded pride boiling over among certain portions of the population---encouraged by those who benefit from this division, of course.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:30 AM

On PredictIt, Trump jumped from 40% to 44% when Harris took the lead for the Democratic nominee. Harris always impressed me in hearings. She was tough, confident, and didn't let antagonizers squirm out of questions. I imagined she'd make mincemeat of Trump in a debate. She's also a good orator. She was my first choice a while back - until I learned of her record as prosecutor.

My biggest concern for her in the general is that, since she made her bones on issues of race, she's going to assume that's a winning strategy for the general. And of all the candidates running on what could be the winning issue for the general--healthcare--she's the weakest by a longshot.

While I used to think Warren came off as weak--a woman trying to speak in a roomful of men but never having enough gravitas to command their attention, she has now found her voice and has developed into a confident, inspiring orator (who I believe could come up with a good line to shut down the Pocahantas Gambit). Unfortunately, both are running on Medicare for All which could scare off a lot of potential voters. I'll have to wait and see how things develop from here.

As of now, if I were making high school superlatives of each candidate I'd say:

Most Likely to Beat Trump in the General - Biden
Most Likely to Trounce Trump in a Debate - Harris
Most Competent and Likely to Create Positive Progressive Change as POTUS - Warren

Last edited by KidCharlemagne; 07-04-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:24 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCharlemagne View Post
...I imagined she'd make mincemeat of Trump in a debate.
I think they would just interrupt each other while they were screaming.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:29 AM

Huh. I did not hear her scream or anything remotely like that. Interrupt and talk over yes, but that was the standard approach of the venue. If one does not do that to stand your ground in that venue you will get perceived as "weak".
Old 07-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Huh. I did not hear her scream or anything remotely like that. Interrupt and talk over yes, but that was the standard approach of the venue. If one does not do that to stand your ground in that venue you will get perceived as "weak".
How about yell?
Old 07-04-2019, 12:06 PM

I think Harris would give Trump apoplectic fits in a debate:
Harris: "You're are a predator and accused rapist!"
Turnip: "No rapist. No rapist. You rapist!!"
Old 07-04-2019, 12:10 PM

Yelling?

Nope.

Sanders, Booker, Castro ... they all got to "yell" level, and in that order for intensity. She was more in controlled, calculated and calibrated levels that play to "firm" and "resolute".

I am concerned that the substance of the play will be wounding for her later but the execution of it was pretty much exactly right.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
As another Jew I think you're on to something. I don't think the majority of the people who use that term are consciously anti-Semitic, but it's...interesting...that the parts of the country that are being demonized just happen to be areas with large Jewish populations, as well as large immigrant populations.

Now to fulfill the joke DSeid and I have to come up with a third opinion between us.
Wait, you think that the term "coastal elites" is really used by anyone other than elites?
Old 07-04-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Wait, you think that the term "coastal elites" is really used by anyone other than elites?
Only by those nouveau coastal elites types. Ghastly imposters. What we need is a wall between us and the landlocked states.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:45 PM

Yelling? What DSeid said.

BTW, the centerpiece of Harris’s putative 2020 fall campaign will be a middle class tax cut. Not exactly a crazy far left policy position.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:56 PM

She's the dream of every oligarch, but I still think she'll lose to Trump.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Yelling?

Nope.

Sanders, Booker, Castro ... they all got to "yell" level, and in that order for intensity. She was more in controlled, calculated and calibrated levels that play to "firm" and "resolute".

I am concerned that the substance of the play will be wounding for her later but the execution of it was pretty much exactly right.
Agreed. The reason she was able to shut everyone up with the food fight comment was not through volume, but rather through tone. It was commanding, authoritative and not rushed. She spoke relatively slowly - because a person who expects to be listened to doesn't need to rush to get their words out because everyone else will wait. Also agreed that the substance of the play could seduce her into a losing strategy in the general.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Agreed. The reason she was able to shut everyone up with the food fight comment was not through volume, but rather through tone. It was commanding, authoritative and not rushed. She spoke relatively slowly - because a person who expects to be listened to doesn't need to rush to get their words out because everyone else will wait. Also agreed that the substance of the play could seduce her into a losing strategy in the general.
The only clip of the debate I heard was her yelling at Biden about busing.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I am reminded of those old Leave It to Beaver bits where The Beav was always whining to Wally how Dad had just "yelled" at him.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:12 PM

I watched the whole debate closely. Harris did not yell. She did not scream. She did not shout. Not once.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Where in this exchange is anything that can be properly characterized as "yelling?" At one point she has to raise her voice because the audience gets loud, but she sure as hell doesn't yell.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/27/harr...ationists.html
Old 07-05-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Harris always impressed me in hearings. She was tough, confident, and didn't let antagonizers squirm out of questions. I imagined she'd make mincemeat of Trump in a debate.
Hillary did, too. That, sadly, doesn't make the difference it should anymore.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:25 AM

But as I said in another thread, the 2016 electorate was in an antiestablishment mood. Now that they have had a taste of what that actually cashes out to, they are in the mood for restoration of competence, civility, “normalcy”.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 07-05-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Where in this exchange is anything that can be properly characterized as "yelling?" At one point she has to raise her voice because the audience gets loud, but she sure as hell doesn't yell.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/27/harr...ationists.html
Claims that someone was "yelling" where evidence exists that fails to support the claim, will continue to be made----because such claims effectively harm the reputation of the person accused of "yelling." That person is overbearing! (or out-of-control or un-ladylike or what have you).

It's one of those claims that have some subjectivity in the mix---one person's 'firm, authoritative tone' might be another person's 'yelling.' Or so they can assert, anyway. The claimant is free to besmirch away, confident that they can't be called to account in any substantive way.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:59 PM

Yes, it is very...eyebrow-raising.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:30 PM

Harris didn't yell. She was like a great boxer, waiting for the opening and delivering thunderous punches when the opportunity presented itself. She had clearly been preparing for some of these sound bytes for weeks, if not months.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:24 AM

Unfortunately, my fears regarding Harris's success in the debates based on racial issues are already manifesting. She just unveiled a $100Bn plan for black home ownership. She's gonna run with what she thinks created her bump in popularity -race. That's not why people liked her. They liked her because she carried herself so well and cornered the leading candidate on an issue. It could have been any issue and she'd have gotten the same accolades. The "I was the little girl that was bussed" did have an emotional impact, but it was her commanding, confident demeanor that won the night.

Let me add that it's not that I think the black home ownership plan is a bad one. I'm all for some wrong-righting legislation, but I'm against her campaigning on it. Im just concerned she's gonna go the whip up the base strategy, rather than capture the center and that will absolutely, positively lose the general.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, my fears regarding Harris's success in the debates based on racial issues are already manifesting. She just unveiled a $100Bn plan for black home ownership. She's gonna run with what she thinks created her bump in popularity -race. That's not why people liked her. They liked her because she carried herself so well and cornered the leading candidate on an issue. It could have been any issue and she'd have gotten the same accolades. The "I was the little girl that was bussed" did have an emotional impact, but it was her commanding, confident demeanor that won the night.

Let me add that it's not that I think the black home ownership plan is a bad one. I'm all for some wrong-righting legislation, but I'm against her campaigning on it. Im just concerned she's gonna go the whip up the base strategy, rather than capture the center and that will absolutely, positively lose the general.
It'll be interesting to see how she tries to pivot back and forth between the Iowa and New Hampshire on one hand and Super Tuesday states on the other. Clearly her home ownership proposal is with partly with an eye on Super Tuesday, which is not to say that she's insincere or trotting this idea out for political purposes only.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It'll be interesting to see how she tries to pivot back and forth between the Iowa and New Hampshire on one hand and Super Tuesday states on the other. Clearly her home ownership proposal is with partly with an eye on Super Tuesday, which is not to say that she's insincere or trotting this idea out for political purposes only.
(Bolding added.)

Exactly. I'm chronically annoyed by this rote assumption from so many opiners that all policies promoted by a presidential candidate (or at least those candidates they've decided to disdain) are motivated by cynical political calculation. I always assume that a policy promotion is at least mostly sincere, and reflects the general philosophy of government or issue prioritization of the candidate. That seems to offer better utility as an evaluative tool for me than the assumption of amoral political positioning.

I understand the appeal of the assumption; it certainly excuses one from having to consider competing ideas in terms of their actual real world effects. I just don't understand why it has any appeal to anyone outside of the beltway media "horse race" analyses and he said/she said political mentality.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:29 AM

Agreed - it's insulting, almost as if to suggest that Harris has no soul. I think she has a soul and is an authentic candidate. Yes she probably makes political calculations, but she's no different than anyone else. Even Bernie Sanders makes calculations. If nothing else, "authentic" candidates are calculating that the time for their brand of politics has come. Nobody's completely altruistic; nobody's completely political, either.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:10 AM

My guess it plays well in Iowa and NH and possibly even plays better with a certain subgroup of white Democrats there than it does with a majority of Black Democrats. This sounds bad and ungenerous but Iowa leans to a farther Left white Democrat and for some being in support of this is the kind of thing that makes them feel better about themselves and can be a signifier. My WAG is that a greater share of Black voters are more attuned to what a load of crap this proposal is. Even with a D Senate this would never pass, and if it did a plan that is explicitly designed to help one race based on race alone would have a hard time in the current courts.

As to how this impacts the question posed in the op - running with her branding being "I was a disadvantaged little Black girl, my main concern is to fix issues that have disproportionately impacted people of color, and I am tough enough to take on Trump" is a general election loss of McGovernite proportions.

This, running as the disadvantaged person of color, rather than as the smartest most able of all the people running, running for all the people she would serve, was not the way she built her career. Yes it puts Biden in a place of having to defend the middle, always a hard place to defend in a primary season, but it, like her initial then quickly walked back condemnation of anything but forced mandatory busing, have placed weights on her neck that would sink her if she became the nominee and assure us of Trump getting four more years. If she became the general nominee she is setting herself up to make HRC's performance with the non-college educated white demographic look wonderful! And she'd lose many of the suburban educated white moderates that both HRC and Obama won too.

The racial wealth gap is a very real issue and as a campaign runs on the issue of dealing with increasing wealth inequality throughout our society, including that as a group Black Americans have consistently been on the losing end of that increasing wealth inequality stick, and how to seriously address the structural factors that contribute to that in a serious manner, is appropriate and required. But one also has to include non-college educated whites, who are also on the losing end of wealth concentration and dropping fast.

What she is doing is not that serious approach and it is not something she has ever prioritized before. It is disingenuous posturing that will over time backfire on her badly, unless she fades otherwise before it can.

Not everything candidates trot out is insincere or put out for political purposes only. Some things however are and some candidates end up giving more of an impression of soullessness opportunism than others.

Of the top contenders she has become the top of my assessment for that soulless opportunism. Warren is at the other end with the other three, Biden, Buttigieg, and Sanders clumped not far away.

Is that insulting to her? Yes. But some insults are justified.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:15 PM

I've been reviewing what I know about Kamala Harris, her campaign and her public statements. And I still have no idea why DSeid is suggesting her campaign strategy can be summed up as "Disadvantaged black girl will concentrate her efforts for other disadvantaged people of color." That's clearly not the strategy she's going with, based on, oh her public persona and her official campaign website which emphasizes her toughness and smarts and commits her to working for everyone, which DSeid for some reason doesn't think she's emphasizing.

DSeid, I think you're taking two related tactical actions (the debate discussion which put Biden on the spot, and the plan for black home ownership -which she presented at the Essence fest) and extrapolating an overall strategy from those data points. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

As far as impressions of soulless opportunism go, I'm much more concerned about our candidates controlling their own narrative. Even if people tend to think it's a calculated front, that will work much better for the candidate than the narrative the party of Fuck Democracy is going to push.

What matters is which (or what alternate) narrative the media pick up and run with. So far, that's working pretty well for some of the lesser known faces (particularly Buttigieg and to some extent Julian Castro) but not so well for a few familiar ones like Biden and the suddenly hapless Beto O'Rourke. Others are generally positive right now but could break either way, Warren in particular.

The narrative on Harris at this point is largely of her own making. That could also break, but I think she'll continue to punch it every chance she gets (there's that soulless opportunism). I'd like to see Warren pushing something stronger than "I've got a plan for that" (even though it's obvious she actually does have a plan for 'that'), but she's smarter than I am so I'm somewhat optimistic she'll fine tune it.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:18 PM

Her big splash was the debate characterizing Biden's past opposition to mandatory busing as "personal" to her, implying that if not for busing she, a child living in the working class Black neighborhood, would never have gotten the education that allowed her to succeed as she had (glossing over who her parents were and that she was in a quality Canadian school as the child of McGill Medical School faculty from Junior High through High School, not really in the underprivileged boat of multigenerational poverty), arguing that not supporting forced busing was wrong then and that forced busing is needed now (which she then backed down from a few days later). Yes the plan was to get Biden to fumble, as he did, but it was also to place herself as a champion of racial justice issues, as she had no record of strength there at all, and to try to build a following among Black voters as the one person of color in the top four.

And what has been her Big Idea since the debate? That event was chosen specifically to unveil her plan specifically to address the racial wealth gap.

Yes, when you get the spotlight with a specific play and you build on that play with another racial justice initiative, with no other new big things done with that spotlight on you, I will tend to extrapolate that there is a short term strategy (meaning through SuperTuesday) in process.

IF racial justice issues and their personal importance to her based on her identity as a woman of color had been a keystone issue of her career, nay even her campaign, to date then I'd be less likely to interpret her putting that as a key feature of her campaign as a cynical disingenuous (and over time to be shortsighted) move. The very fact that indeed her past career, past public persona, and campaign before this had not prioritized that as high on the list, is why it comes off as such soulless opportunism.

Racial justice issues are in fact important and they should be dealt with as more than a prop to try to get votes through Super Tuesday, then, assuming it works and she is a leader, to be dropped fast as she will be able to, as she pivots beyond that.

This to me is the same as Trump wrapping himself in the flag as a prop.

Control the narrative with what you have been standing for all along, not what is good for you to be perceived as standing for this moment and that you will distance from when it is no longer as politically useful.

You think the debate busing item and the initiative for Black home ownership are unrelated items and that she just never had the chance to be a forceful advocate on issues of racial justice before? It just happens to be in the context of a path that requires her to get strong support form Black primary voters? Okay.

I'm a bit more cynical than you I guess.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
The only people I hear using the term "coastal elites" are people on the right who use the name derogatorily (with the exception of this thread).
Old 07-07-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Control the narrative with what you have been standing for all along, not what is good for you to be perceived as standing for this moment and that you will distance from when it is no longer as politically useful.
...the "narrative" is set by the person spinning the narrative. And the person spinning the narrative "Disadvantaged black girl will concentrate her efforts for other disadvantaged people of color." here is you. Its what you percieve from what you have consumed: but it is clearly at odds with what xenophon41 sees and with what I see as well. It doesn't fit the information on the official campaign website, it doesn't fit her recent public statements.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
You think the debate busing item and the initiative for Black home ownership are unrelated items and that she just never had the chance to be a forceful advocate on issues of racial justice before? It just happens to be in the context of a path that requires her to get strong support form Black primary voters? Okay.

What you are is a bit less on the mark about what you're responding to than you usually are. And I have been insufficiently detailed in my defense of Harris, so I'll take the blame for that.

I think the debate busing item was a planned and rehearsed approach (a debate tactic) that paid off for her, but also reflects her feelings that busing was and still is a valid tool for the federal government to mandate in specific cases of segregated school systems. I think she's been very clear on this. And I think the black home ownership initiative, rolled out how, when and where she chose (in front of a [mostly] black American audience at a conspicuously black American cultural event, at the probable peak of an approval surge precipitated by that busing discussion) is a sincere, honestly considered proposal that was opportunistically presented in the manner the Harris campaign thought would most capitalize on the political moment.

Nothing about these two things are unrelated or "just happened." They are both informed by cold hard political calculation and by the sincere political leanings of the candidate, and both are intended to further the portrait of Harris that Harris herself and her campaign want the public to see. And that's what I approve of.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Her big splash was the debate characterizing Biden's past opposition to mandatory busing as "personal" to her, implying that if not for busing she, a child living in the working class Black neighborhood, would never have gotten the education that allowed her to succeed as she had (glossing over who her parents were and that she was in a quality Canadian school as the child of McGill Medical School faculty from Junior High through High School, not really in the underprivileged boat of multigenerational poverty), arguing that not supporting forced busing was wrong then and that forced busing is needed now (which she then backed down from a few days later). Yes the plan was to get Biden to fumble, as he did, but it was also to place herself as a champion of racial justice issues, as she had no record of strength there at all, and to try to build a following among Black voters as the one person of color in the top four.

... You think the debate busing item and the initiative for Black home ownership are unrelated items and that she just never had the chance to be a forceful advocate on issues of racial justice before? It just happens to be in the context of a path that requires her to get strong support form Black primary voters? Okay.
I think your analysis is largely correct, but I'd suggest a third alternative: that the recent-days emphasis on busing and black home-ownership are not necessarily indicative of the Harris strategy for the next year, but instead are a shorter-term response to the social-media-bots/right-wing push to say 'Harris Isn't Black'.

This "birther-style" initiative has been much remarked on in the days since the debate, and quite clearly was rolled out in reaction to Harris's unexpected leap forward (in polling and in fundraising) since the debate.

Quote:
...Last night’s tweets, some of which were amplified by bots and in one case by Trump Jr., gave a new level of exposure to earlier claims propagated by fringe websites and discredited figures such as Jacob Wohl and the virulent neo-Nazi Anglin.

As documented by social media researcher Caroline Orr, Harris’s presence in the debate led to an onslaught of tweets that claimed she isn’t black, was not born in the United States, and was raised in Canada. (Harris went to high school in Canada, but otherwise lived in the US.) ...
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ck-citizenship

So the Harris campaign had to decide whether to ignore this onslaught, or instead to address it not only directly (by talking about the bots, etc.) but indirectly, by demonstrating that she, well, is actually black.

I agree with you that an emphasis on serving one particular group above others is not a smart campaign strategy. I would expect that for the long haul, Harris isn't planning to position herself as The Black Candidate, but simply wanted to spotlight her awareness of social justice issues to combat the 'isn't black enough' tactics of the right.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:26 PM

Hadn't thought about the "she's not really black" thing in relationship to this... Interesting. I can't think many black voters were buying that, any more than they did with Obama, but I can see this as an aspect of the political considerations.