Old 08-16-2019, 01:46 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
And if you're as old as I am, you can remember when Nixon rescued America from the clutches of Lyndon Johnson.
LBJ rescued American from the clutches of Lyndon Johnson.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:06 PM

Define anything as I wish? Okay. To wit:

Scenario 1 - white supremacy is defined as the sum total of all positions, talking points, drivel, and balderdash used by Trump in his campagin to be elected. This person could get as far as the presidency.

Scenario 2 - white supremacy is defined as a belief that all people who are not white should either be deported, or subjected once again to a "life" of slavery. This person couldn't get elected in anywhere in the US.

Scenario 3 - you explicitly define what "white supremacy" means or the whole discussion will devolve into pointlessness. Just my humble opinion, of course.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
"Son, let's make him deny it."

It all began with Levon Helm and The Band.
Big fan of the non-Canadian Levon Helm, and the Band in general. Not sure where you're going with this.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Wallace was super racist, and was so openly.
Sure, but the campaign you mention was over half a century ago, and Wallace publicly repudiated those views about forty years ago. I don't deny that there have been truckloads of very successful political candidates openly campaigning with white supremacist beliefs through much of the US's history, but the OP specifically asks how far such a candidate could get today.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
Define anything as I wish? Okay. To wit:

Scenario 1 - white supremacy is defined as the sum total of all positions, talking points, drivel, and balderdash used by Trump in his campagin to be elected. This person could get as far as the presidency.

Scenario 2 - white supremacy is defined as a belief that all people who are not white should either be deported, or subjected once again to a "life" of slavery. This person couldn't get elected in anywhere in the US.

Scenario 3 - you explicitly define what "white supremacy" means or the whole discussion will devolve into pointlessness. Just my humble opinion, of course.
I'll tackle #3. "White supremacy, for purposes of this discussion, shall mean a philosophy that the Unnited States was created by white people, for white people and should be ruled by white people even if, heavens forbid, whites become an numerical minority. The continued presence, and status, of racial minorities shall be subordinate to whites. Such persons will, of course, be allowed to participate in civic, social and economic activity provided that they explicitly or implicitly acknowledge their status as, for want of a better term, subject people. (IE: Know your role, shut your hole.)

Does this constitute a good start?
Old 08-17-2019, 10:18 AM

Even in 1948, open racists could not get out of the south. I certainly don't think it has changed today. Of course, to the majority of posters here, Trump is as racist as it gets, but since he denies that there is a racist bone in his body, he is not openly racist. But most Trump supporters understand his racism well enough and either approve or don't disapprove enough to vote against him.

My answer to the OP is that no, an openly racist candidate could not make it today. Even most of the racists have absorbed the meme that racism = bad and would deny they are racist; they just think they have been victims of affirmative action or something similar.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
LBJ rescued American from the clutches of Lyndon Johnson.
True, Johnson decided to not run for another term. But Nixon still made Johnson's presidency a campaign issue; he ran against the "mistakes" that Johnson had made and portrayed Humphrey as a Johnson surrogate.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:11 PM

One is currently president. Seems like the question is answered.