Old 09-24-2019, 10:43 AM

Football scores

I like football. I also like statistics. What nfl game during the seasons had the biggest difference; in other words, the biggest blowout?
Was there ever a game where no one scored?
Thanks.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
In football? All the time

Assuming you mean American football, not since 1943 in the NFL.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
What nfl game during the seasons had the biggest difference; in other words, the biggest blowout?
According to this Wiki article, the largest margin of victory in an NFL game occurred in the 1940 championship game, when the Bears beat the Redskins 73-0.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
According to this Wiki article, the largest margin of victory in an NFL game occurred in the 1940 championship game, when the Bears beat the Redskins 73-0.
They nearly repeated the feat last night.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:43 AM

This site has every NFL final score ever. You can sort by total points, point differential, etc.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:06 PM

Since the AFL-NFL merger, there have been two games with 59 point margins of victory, which is the largest margin of victory in the modern era.

In '76, the LA Rams beat the Falcons 59-0. And more recently in '09, the Patriots over the Titans 59-0.

As noted above, there are games with larger margins of victory but you have to go back to when the game was significantly different.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:00 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

Moving thread from GQ to the Game Room.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Only once. In 1943, the Giants and Lions played each other to a 0-0 tie

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/...layed-detroit/.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:02 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Only once. In 1943, the Giants and Lions played each other to a 0-0 tie

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/...layed-detroit/.
And, as the NFL, in 1974, instituted an overtime period if a regular-season game is tied at the end of regulation, the odds of ties themselves has gone down. In a typical NFL season, there are no more than one or two games that end in a tie, and it's not uncommon to have no ties at all during a season.

Plus, as decades of NFL rule changes have opened up the offenses, and led to increased scoring, shutouts, in general, aren't common anymore (probably less than a dozen, across 256 games, per season).
Old 09-24-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
And, as the NFL, in 1974, instituted an overtime period if a regular-season game is tied at the end of regulation, the odds of ties themselves has gone down. In a typical NFL season, there are no more than one or two games that end in a tie, and it's not uncommon to have no ties at all during a season.

Plus, as decades of NFL rule changes have opened up the offenses, and led to increased scoring, shutouts, in general, aren't common anymore (probably less than a dozen, across 256 games, per season).
According to Pro Football Reference, there were 214 shutouts from 1991 through 2018. That's an average of 7.6 shutouts per season. There were 8 shutouts in the 2018 season.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:10 PM

I'm not even seeing a game, post-merger, that was 0-0 heading into overtime.
https://www.pro-football-reference.c...r_by=game_date
Old 09-24-2019, 04:30 PM

I would think NFL Scorigami is relevant here. They keep track of all possible scores and gleefully announce new unique final scores.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:38 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgato View Post
This site has every NFL final score ever. You can sort by total points, point differential, etc.
As that table shows (and I just want to say that I love Pro Football Reference), the biggest total score (both teams) in NFL history was 113 points -- the Redskins beat the Giants, 72 to 41, in 1966.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
I would think NFL Scorigami is relevant here. They keep track of all possible scores and gleefully announce new unique final scores.
I remember an absolutely miserable game recently between the Seahawks and Cardinals. Final score was 6-6. It was the only time an NFL game ended in that score.

It featured an overtime where both teams missed chip shot field goals. It was without a doubt the worst football game I ever watched.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:06 PM

Scores that have never happened in the NFL

There are several on that list that are surprising, especially with the inclusion of the 2-point conversion 25 years ago. 32-19. 35-29. et. al.

Last edited by Harrington; 09-24-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I remember an absolutely miserable game recently between the Seahawks and Cardinals. Final score was 6-6. It was the only time an NFL game ended in that score.

It featured an overtime where both teams missed chip shot field goals. It was without a doubt the worst football game I ever watched.
I remember that game. It was bad, but I found it hilarious. Making it worse was it was a Sunday Night primetime game.

I'm a 49er fan, but I live in the Seattle area. I teased my co-worker the next day for causing it. For "Blue Friday" that week he wore a Seahawks necktie.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I wonder how they reacted to Super Bowl XLVIII, the only NFL game that ended 43-8.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I remember that game. It was bad, but I found it hilarious. Making it worse was it was a Sunday Night primetime game.

I'm a 49er fan, but I live in the Seattle area. I teased my co-worker the next day for causing it. For "Blue Friday" that week he wore a Seahawks necktie.
I wore Seahawks socks for Blue Friday once. It was such a cop-out.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I wonder how they reacted to Super Bowl XLVIII, the only NFL game that ended 43-8.
With glee.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

The Cardinals played a Monday night game against the Giants in 1984. IIRC correctly, the weather got progressively worse during the game with multiple missed field goals by both sides in overtime and ended in a tie. The next morning one of the local newscasters noted the prime time game was telecast, "as a stunned nation watched in muted agony."
Old 09-24-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Yep, they announced a new unique final score in Week 1 this year, when the Ravens beat the Dolphins 59-10.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
Yep, they announced a new unique final score in Week 1 this year, when the Ravens beat the Dolphins 59-10.
Ah, thanks. I tried looking around for the most recent one, but couldn't find it before just before giving up.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Ah, thanks. I tried looking around for the most recent one, but couldn't find it before just before giving up.
I knew it only because I follow Scorigami on Twitter...
Old 09-25-2019, 09:06 PM

Football scores

I can’t find it but IIRC a few years back the Pittsburgh Steelers won a Monday nite home game 3-0 on a field torn up by several high school football games over the weekend.

The Philadelphia Eagles beat the Chicago Cardinals 7-0 at home for the NFL Championship in a blizzard.

The Eagles defeat of the New England Patriots in Super Bowl 52 is the only 41-33 score in NFL history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by russian heel; 09-25-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:55 PM

This isn't completely on point, but I think you'll find it interesting nonetheless. In the Canadian Football League, it is possible to score a single point, known as a rouge. So, you might ask, has a CFL game ever ended 1-0? Indeed, it has! Back in the 1960s, Montreal managed to pick up one solitary rouge in the fourth quarter on the way to a truly crushing victory over Ottawa. And the archived story in the Montreal paper says it also happened in 1949.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
I cant find it but IIRC a few years back the Pittsburgh Steelers won a Monday nite home game 3-0 on a field torn up by several high school football games over the weekend.
Yup, they beat the Dolphins at home, at Heinz, on a late FG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooooopy View Post
This isn't completely on point, but I think you'll find it interesting nonetheless. In the Canadian Football League, it is possible to score a single point, known as a rouge. So, you might ask, has a CFL game ever ended 1-0? Indeed, it has! Back in the 1960s, Montreal managed to pick up one solitary rouge in the fourth quarter on the way to a truly crushing victory over Ottawa. And the archived story in the Montreal paper says it also happened in 1949.
In addition, if an NFL team forfeits a game (which IIRC has never happened,) that game is scored in the record books as a 1-0 victory for the team that does show up.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:03 PM

Two first-ever scores today. Browns 40-25 over the Ravens & Buccaneers 55-40 over the Rams.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Two first-ever scores today. Browns 40-25 over the Ravens & Buccaneers 55-40 over the Rams.
When was the last time there were two in one weekend?
Old 09-29-2019, 10:16 PM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Yup, they beat the Dolphins at home, at Heinz, on a late FG.
There was the PA high school championship game played on the field, followed by a Pitt game. It also rained like crazy that whole weekend in Pittsburgh and the grounds crew decided to just put new sod on top of the old sod, so the field was the worst I have ever seen watching football. As the game got near the end of regulation, I was rooting for overtime and the chance of a 0-0 tie.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I cant find it but IIRC a few years back the Pittsburgh Steelers won a Monday nite home game 3-0 on a field torn up by several high school football games over the weekend.

The Philadelphia Eagles beat the Chicago Cardinals 7-0 at home for the NFL Championship in a blizzard.

The Eagles defeat of the New England Patriots in Super Bowl 52 is the only 41-33 score in NFL history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chicago Cardinals? That goes back a long long way. The only NFL season game I ever saw (I saw one preseason game once) was the Chicago Cardinals beating the Eagles at Shibe Park. Probably around 1949 or so. One season around then, the Eagles beat the Redskins 45-0 twice in the same season.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
What a great site. I can definitely waste some time here.

Quote:
Not true. My very first NFL game in 1972 between the Eagles and the St. Louis Cardinals ended in a 6-6 tie. Four field goals, no touchdowns, no overtime. It's a wonder I ever went back for second game. (Early 70s were a tough time for all Philly sports teams that weren't wearing ice skates.)

My new favorite website says that a total of 16 games ended like this, but only three came after the merger.

Quote:
Also not true.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:58 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greenjeans View Post
Not true. My very first NFL game in 1972 between the Eagles and the St. Louis Cardinals ended in a 6-6 tie. Four field goals, no touchdowns, no overtime. It's a wonder I ever went back for second game. (Early 70s were a tough time for all Philly sports teams that weren't wearing ice skates.)

My new favorite website says that a total of 16 games ended like this, but only three came after the merger.
However, the 6-6 tie between the Seahawks and Cardinals in 2016, to which Atamasama was referring, was, however, the only time a game has ended with that score since the NFL instituted overtime for regular-season games (which greatly reduced the number of ties).

Last edited by kenobi 65; 10-19-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
However, the 6-6 tie between the Seahawks and Cardinals in 2016, to which Atamasama was referring, was, however, the only time a game has ended with that score since the NFL instituted overtime for regular-season games (which greatly reduced the number of ties).
Ill admit I was unaware of that qualifier so Ill offer a mea culpa. It makes sense that prior to overtime rules it was more common to have weird tying scores. I just know that announcers were saying the result in that Seattle/Arizona game had never happened before.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
There was an infamous game in the early '80s when the Patriots beat the Dolphins late in the season up in New England. There was snow on the field and the Patriots' head coach at the time got a stadium employee (whom, IIRC, was on work release) to clear the snow on the very spot where N.E was going to try a field goal. The field goal was good and I believe it was the only score of the game but the way in which it all went down made national news.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
There was an infamous game in the early '80s when the Patriots beat the Dolphins late in the season up in New England. There was snow on the field and the Patriots' head coach at the time got a stadium employee (whom, IIRC, was on work release) to clear the snow on the very spot where N.E was going to try a field goal. The field goal was good and I believe it was the only score of the game but the way in which it all went down made national news.
That would be this game.