Old 09-29-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

NFL Week 4

Sorry, I haven't really thought of creating the threads this year and whether anyone else does is inconsistent, so I'll start them.

TNF

GB @ PHI

Early
WAS @ NYG
KC @ DET
TEN @ ATL
NE @ BUF
LAC @ MIA
CLE @ BAL
OAK @ IND
CAR @ HOU

Late
TB @ LAR
SEA @ ARI
MIN @ CHI
JAX @ DEN

SNF
DAL @ NO

MNF
CIN @ PIT
Old 09-29-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Huh, Odell Beckham can throw the ball. They did a reverse / WR pass and he threw a 40 yard bomb and hit his target right in the helmet. Unfortunately the receiver messed up the beautiful pass. Would've made the top of sportscenter.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:02 PM

Once we get to around week 12 or 13, these weekly threads tend to be less than a single page each, and frequently late to get created. At that point I think we should do an omnibus thread for the remainder of the season like last year. People expressed strong dislike for that in the week 1 thread this year, but I think they forget how inactive and frequently late to start these weekly threads were last year. The week 12 thread was only 33 total posts, for example. (I started the omnibus thread in week 13.)

So far this season we've had much more active threads, though, so if they stay active I agree an omnibus thread wouldn't be needed. But if we're not starting weekly threads until Sunday (I'm as lazy as anyone else) and they only go for a couple dozen posts, then yeah, it makes sense.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-29-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Once we get to around week 12 or 13, these weekly threads tend to be less than a single page each, and frequently late to get created. At that point I think we should do an omnibus thread for the remainder of the season like last year. People expressed strong dislike for that in the week 1 thread this year, but I think they forget how inactive and frequently late to start these weekly threads were last year. The week 12 thread was only 33 total posts, for example. (I started the omnibus thread in week 13.)

So far this season we've had much more active threads, though, so if they stay active I agree an omnibus thread wouldn't be needed. But if we're not starting weekly threads until Sunday (I'm as lazy as anyone else) and they only go for a couple dozen posts, then yeah, it makes sense.
If we keep talking about maintaining weekly threads, this thread will get big and will justify the idea that we need weekly threads.

On a more relevant note, how are the Dolphins still tied with the Chargers?!
Old 09-29-2019, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Browns/Ravens had 4 penalties offset after Humphries choked OBJ to the ground and other people got involved. No ejection for Humphries.

Surprised by the Browns this game - with as good as the rats have looked this year, I didn't have much hope for an away game against them. Chubb just ran like a 90 yard TD.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

It’s the Haskins debut for the Redskins and he’s been very inconsistent. Gruden is coaching for his life but the rumors are he’d be fine with joining Jay in Las Vegas next year. The Redskins aren’t just one piece away from a playoff teams for next season anyway.

I prefer to stay with weekly threads. I should be more active since I’m not working Sundays any longer.

Last edited by dalej42; 09-29-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:39 PM

Touchdown Lions to retake the lead over KC near the end of the third. I was holding my breath for another 100 yard KC fumble recovery TD. With the GB loss earlier I am going to be holding my breath to the end.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

I very much did not expect an ass pounding of the ratbirds in their own stadium. After they looked so good in the first 2 weeks, are we thinking they were just overrated beating up on some bad teams?

I'm genuinely surprised how good the Browns defense is this year. They've been smothering, especially the front seven. But even though they had the entire starting secondary out against the ram, and the starting corners again this week, they're doing a great job. If the offense was as good as it was the second half of last year we'd be undefeated and blowing teams out.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
I am going to be holding my breath to the end.
So a KC TD. The Lion's respond. The extra point takes it to a three point lead with 2:26 on the clock.

It's almost like Hollywood script writers are setting up another tie.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
So a KC TD. The Lion's respond. The extra point takes it to a three point lead with 2:26 on the clock.

It's almost like Hollywood script writers are setting up another tie.
Doesn’t look like that’s happening now.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

When Humphries choked out OBJ, a ref was standing right over them watching it.

Now, they did call a penalty for it, but because someone came in and knocked Humphries off OBJ before he choked him to death, it was offsetting penalties which took away a 15 yard Browns play.

That should be an obvious ejection, right?

Last edited by SenorBeef; 09-29-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:49 PM

Speaking ejections, check out Burfict:
https://deadspin.com/vontaze-burfict...e-h-1838596827
Why is he still in the NFL?
Old 09-29-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
When Humphries choked out OBJ, a ref was standing right over them watching it.

Now, they did call a penalty for it, but because someone came in and knocked Humphries off OBJ before he choked him to death, it was offsetting penalties which took away a 15 yard Browns play.

That should be an obvious ejection, right?
Just watched the video - if Humphries doesn't get suspended for that, I might just lose all faith. But I expect a couple Eagles players to watch from the sidelines next week, as well.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
But Shazier!
Old 09-29-2019, 07:04 PM

Between broken computer and out of town visitors, I haven't paid much attention to this weeks games. Bears/Vikings is a good defensive battle, but, my God doesn't Zimmer or Stefanski have any ability to adjust their offense? They keep running the same garbage that hadn't worked yet. Still the Bears D is pretty effin amazing.

I hope Trubisky is OK, but I'm not convinced it's a loss at all for the team.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:30 PM

Bucs beating Rams 48-40 right now, who'd have thought?
Old 09-29-2019, 08:04 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Bucs beating Rams 48-40 right now, who'd have thought?
55-40 as a final. I don't think too many people other than Jameis Winston's mom saw that one coming.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:04 PM

49ers move into sole possession of first in the NFC West while on a bye week.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Browns looking pretty good. Not as good as the hype, but pretty good.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I don't like Burfict, but isn't the Indy player trying to get up there, and keep advancing the ball? It doesn't look like the Indy player is trying to give himself up there. Perhaps Burfict should have hit him with his shoulder instead, or the Indy player should have stayed on the ground?

20 years ago, that was a fine play.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:30 PM

As a Texans fan, watching Bill O'Brien coach the Texans, and knowing he has 3 more years left on his contract, is like being trapped in a loveless marriage. Both people are trying to run the clock out until the kids graduate high school, both are wondering where it went wrong, and both have no idea how to fix it, except to endure until its more acceptable that they be apart.

Or you could say what I read today about O'Brien's coaching: Watching O'Brien coach is like watching a wounded animal die.

At least we've the Astros and, soon, Rockets basketball.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
I don't like Burfict, but isn't the Indy player trying to get up there, and keep advancing the ball? It doesn't look like the Indy player is trying to give himself up there. Perhaps Burfict should have hit him with his shoulder instead, or the Indy player should have stayed on the ground?

Yes, hitting with your shoulder is usually preferred over making a full-speed headshot with your helmet against theirs. That’s kind of the point.

When it’s coming from the dirtiest player in the NFL who has made a habit of such plays through his career he loses the benefit of the doubt.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
As a Texans fan, watching Bill O'Brien coach the Texans, and knowing he has 3 more years left on his contract, is like being trapped in a loveless marriage. Both people are trying to run the clock out until the kids graduate high school, both are wondering where it went wrong, and both have no idea how to fix it, except to endure until its more acceptable that they be apart.

Or you could say what I read today about O'Brien's coaching: Watching O'Brien coach is like watching a wounded animal die.

At least we've the Astros and, soon, Rockets basketball.
What stinks is that Watson is an incredible quarterback wasted on that team.

And regularly getting the crap beat out of him in the process.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, hitting with your shoulder is usually preferred over making a full-speed headshot with your helmet against theirs. That’s kind of the point.

When it’s coming from the dirtiest player in the NFL who has made a habit of such plays through his career he loses the benefit of the doubt.
Agreed, he's a first class shitbag on the field. He gets no benefit of the doubt. Just making an observation based on what it looked like the Indy player was trying to do.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
What stinks is that Watson is an incredible quarterback wasted on that team.

And regularly getting the crap beat out of him in the process.
He should be incredible. David Carr was pretty good in college too. Different coaching staff here, and situation, but Texans fans have heard this song before.

I feel for Watson, and wonder what he could do with, say, Sean Payton coaching him.

He won't make it through 16 games. 12 sacks before today, six more today. That's 72 for the year, says 'On-Pace Guy.' I don't care if most are his fault: fucking set up an offense where 90 percent of the time, he can make two reads and dump it. Let him freelance the other 10 percent of the time.

The stupid bastards won't do it. For awhile, Houston was getting over 5 per rush from the RBs. Did they reinforce success, give their QB a respite from the beating? Nope. They coach about as well as they do the General Manager job.

Just infuriating to watch as a fan.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Agreed, he's a first class shitbag on the field. He gets no benefit of the doubt. Just making an observation based on what it looked like the Indy player was trying to do.
A tackle in that situation was absolutely warranted. With his knee still down he’d be “tackled” with literally a touch. It wasn’t a late hit, just a really bad one.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

I am so sick of relay in the NFL. We will be having 5 hour NFL games within 5 years. We’d better review if the kicker washed his hands in the locker room bathroom at halftime.

Last edited by dalej42; 09-29-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:27 PM

Saints win a bruising defensive struggle! 2-0 without Brees (not counting the game he was knocked out of), both wins against good teams (SEA and DAL).
Old 09-29-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:

20 years ago, traumatic brain injuries were just weak players getting their bell rung.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Random footnate, but TJ Hockenson suffered what looked like a pretty severe concussion as a result of trying to hurdle a defender. Wouldn't be shocked to see that next up on the list of illegal plays next season. Mostly I think it just makes these runners look like idiots.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Saints win a bruising defensive struggle! 2-0 without Brees (not counting the game he was knocked out of), both wins against good teams (SEA and DAL).
They’re a tough team overcoming massive difficulties. The kind of team that wins championships.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Random footnate, but TJ Hockenson suffered what looked like a pretty severe concussion as a result of trying to hurdle a defender. Wouldn't be shocked to see that next up on the list of illegal plays next season. Mostly I think it just makes these runners look like idiots.
The first time Hockenson did that move today, I told my son that that looked like a real good way to blow out your knee. The second time he did it, he ended up concussed. So I may have gotten the injury wrong, but it's definitely a pathway to getting hurt. Plus, both times he did it, he just looked like a damn fool. His timing was way off and he didn't get anywhere near the height needed to clear another human being.

I don't know if they need to add it to the list of illegal plays, but coaches should tell their players to stop trying so hard to make the highlight reel.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

So after the Browns started the season looking sloppy, undisciplined, and badly schemed, and the ratbirds were crushing cupcake teams, it seemed obvious that the rats (given pittsburgh and cinci are probably not going anywhere this year) would win the division. But the Browns' problems seemed to be the sort of shit you could mostly correct just by getting their shit together, and it looks like the ratbirds might've looked good because they played bad teams, so the Browns going to crackmore and winning convincingly is a pretty big deal for the division. I was pretty sure the Browns were going to lose this week, so I'm pleasant surprised that it looks like we might deserve to be favorites to win the division.

It's too bad all the Cinci/Pittsburgh games come later in the year. Almost always when those teams are good the Browns have to play them early on, and now that you'd expect them to beat them, they gotta play a murderer's row of games before they get any easy teams to beat.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
The first time Hockenson did that move today, I told my son that that looked like a real good way to blow out your knee. The second time he did it, he ended up concussed. So I may have gotten the injury wrong, but it's definitely a pathway to getting hurt. Plus, both times he did it, he just looked like a damn fool. His timing was way off and he didn't get anywhere near the height needed to clear another human being.

I don't know if they need to add it to the list of illegal plays, but coaches should tell their players to stop trying so hard to make the highlight reel.
Chris Carson (Seahawks RB) has been vaulting defenders successfully for years. It works well if you are talented enough to pull it off.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
It's explicitly illegal in high school ball. Way, way too easy to hurt yourself.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
It's explicitly illegal in high school ball. Way, way too easy to hurt yourself.
And it only works when the tackler is trying to go low. Which they weren't. Either time.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:14 PM

The NFL disagrees with me on Burfict, and agrees with Atamasama. Burfict suspended for the rest of the year.

I guess they figured a shorter suspension wouldn't have the required deterrent effect.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
The NFL disagrees with me on Burfict, and agrees with Atamasama.
I’m secretly Tom Brady, you know.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:49 PM

Congratulations on being the GOAT NFL QB.

I'm certainly not going to cry for Burfict. Evidently NFL VP for football operations Jon Runyan, who'd played the game a little in his time, got tired of suspending the guy over and over, and it not sinking in:
Quote:
...Following each of your previous rule violations, you were warned by me and each of the jointly-appointed officers that future violations would result in escalated accountability measures. However, you have continued to flagrantly abuse rules designated to protect yourself and your opponents from unnecessary risk.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:51 PM

And once again, I know nothing about football. Somehow, my Saints pulled off a 12-10 win over the Cowboys. Defense is really playing well. Bridgewater--not so much. He holds the ball too long, and can't seem to pull the trigger on anything longer than about 15 years. I guess he's doing a good job of avoiding mistakes...but playing not to lose and playing to win are two different things....
Old 09-30-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I guess they figured a shorter suspension wouldn't have the required deterrent effect.
He's been suspended for illegal hits 3 times before. The shorter suspensions clearly didn't take.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:43 PM

Was Burfict actually smiling and blowing kisses to the Indy crowd as he ran off the field? I'm surprised he made to the airport in one piece.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:44 PM

An irony here is that Runyan, who'd played 15 years as an offensive lineman in the league, was named as one of the league's dirtiest players when he played. (I know, an offensive lineman playing dirty. No way!)

He didn't deny it, claiming, "That's the way the game's supposed to be played. I think they’ve tried to change that over the years. It's turned into a basketball game out there."
Old 09-30-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Was Burfict actually smiling and blowing kisses to the Indy crowd as he ran off the field? I'm surprised he made to the airport in one piece.
He’s a piece of something all right.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:

The NFL penalized hits leading with the helmet starting in 1996, so even 20 years ago Burfict's hit would not have been legal. I wonder if a ban will be considered for him. He needs to stop playing football.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

No one has any clue who’s going to start at QB for the Redskins against the Patriots. I’ve heard Colt McCoy. I have no idea how bad of an injury Keenum has or if it’s more a cover for his bad play the last two games. Do they really want to throw Haskins out there in a brutal matchup?

And, is McCoy back to 100%? He hasn’t take a snap.

Last edited by dalej42; 09-30-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:52 PM

Jumping ahead to week 5 here, just for a question. The Bears will play Oakland in London next week. The schedule I picked up at the liquor store claims a noon central start on Fox. Is that accurate? I've never tuned in to a London game. Will noon central be a rebroadcast? I have no idea how this works. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Jumping ahead to week 5 here, just for a question. The Bears will play Oakland in London next week. The schedule I picked up at the liquor store claims a noon central start on Fox. Is that accurate? I've never tuned in to a London game. Will noon central be a rebroadcast? I have no idea how this works. Thanks.
It’s 10:00 AM Pacific Standard Time according to the interwebz, so that would be noon Central time, yes.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=401128001

That makes it a 6:00 PM game in London, so that seems to work out fine.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
That's correct. In the past the games have aired in the morning, but the game will take place at 6 PM London time, so noon central is live.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:48 PM

If anybody cares, there were TWO Scorigami games yesterday (games that ended in a final score that has never happened before in NFL history:

Browns 40, Ravens 25
Bucs 55, Rams 40

The second game isn't really a shocker, but I'm mildly surprised that never before has a game ended with a 40-25 score.

Last edited by Railer13; 09-30-2019 at 08:48 PM.