Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-09-2019, 05:34 PM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 12,745

Will/should the Democratic nominee shake hands with Trump?


Assuming Trump agrees to a debate, which is no sure thing, standard protocol is to shake hands at the start of the proceedings. For the first time in modern political history, I tend to lean toward thinking the Democratic presidential nominee should not shake his hand. But how would this go over politically? Does it conflict with a pledge to restore civility and traditional political norms?
  #2  
Old 10-09-2019, 05:39 PM
BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 21,811
He should, providing he drops a deuce immediately before the debate and doesn't wash his hands.

Debates have jumped the shark. Nobody changes his mind about a candidate any more, we're going to vote for our tribe's man and watch the debates as cheerleaders.
  #3  
Old 10-09-2019, 05:49 PM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,693
Refusing to shake hands with Trump would probably backfire more than it would help, especially if Trump is the one to extend his hand first and the (D) refuses. It would just look petty on TV.
  #4  
Old 10-09-2019, 05:51 PM
TriPolar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 41,125
No. He is due no sign of respect and I'm going to have a hard time respecting any candidate who shows him such. It would demonstrate weakness to partake in act of civility with a person who has proven that he will not hesitate to be uncivil. What is the candidate to do after the handshake? Declare civility in our time?

I see no consequence to eschewing the handshake, or the whole so-called debate either.

Last edited by TriPolar; 10-09-2019 at 05:52 PM.
  #5  
Old 10-09-2019, 06:07 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 85,539
Assuming the candidate is someone physically stronger than Trump (which most of them probably are), they should give him a crushing grip, because Trump's reaction to that, whatever it was, would be a great visual.
  #6  
Old 10-09-2019, 06:23 PM
Kimera757 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Assuming Trump agrees to a debate, which is no sure thing, standard protocol is to shake hands at the start of the proceedings. For the first time in modern political history, I tend to lean toward thinking the Democratic presidential nominee should not shake his hand. But how would this go over politically? Does it conflict with a pledge to restore civility and traditional political norms?
The nominee should shake hands. The last thing we need is an angry Republican using that as a reason to whip up emotion or even violence. Trump might refuse a handshake anyway.
  #7  
Old 10-09-2019, 06:51 PM
Locrian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Valley Village, CA
Posts: 4,384
^^ Yeah, I see it the other way around. Trump won't shake hands with anyone, even republicans.
  #8  
Old 10-09-2019, 06:52 PM
Translucent Daydream is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Grand Valley
Posts: 1,831
I, as an independent, would rather vote for who seems like the adult in the room. This doesn't seem like good adulting to me, but at the same time, they would be shaking hands with a big man baby, so I guess it wouldn't matter as much?

Not wanting to shake his hand could be perceived by some to be fear based, however. YMMV Trump is a tool.
__________________
I promise itís not as bad or as good as you think it is.
  #9  
Old 10-09-2019, 06:58 PM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 12,745
Refusing to debate him could look fear-based. Walking up to him, staring him in the eyes, and saying that he has disgraced the office of the presidency, then turning and walking to the podium, would not look cowardly.
  #10  
Old 10-09-2019, 07:07 PM
bengangmo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 9,705
What would be even better - walk up and give him a Hongi

The traditional Māori greeting, the hongi is performed by two people pressing their noses together; some include, at the same time, the touching of foreheads. The greeting is used at traditional meetings among Māori people, and at major ceremonies, such as a pōwhiri. It may be followed by a handshake. Wikipedia
  #11  
Old 10-09-2019, 07:16 PM
BigAppleBucky's Avatar
BigAppleBucky is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,370
My fantasy is the Democratic nominee selecting Mayor Pete for VEEP. And at the vice presidential debate watching Mike Pence trying to avoid shaking hands.

I rather doubt Trump will allow a debate. But if he does for some reason, the Democratic candidate should be civil at least until it comes time for him or her to start calling Trump the liar he is.

****

Given Trump's utter disdain for the Constitution, I wonder if he'd somehow try to postpone and eventually cancel the election. He has spoken about deserving an investigation free additional term, serving for more than eight years and getting his son elected. He has also called the impeachment investigation an attempted coup. (And when Trump makes an accusation, it's actually a confession.) None of that sounds all that pro-democracy to me. And, after all, how many jets and tanks does Congress control?

{I know that last paragraph sounds insane, but after the last several days, it no longer seems totally out of the realm of possibilities. }
  #12  
Old 10-09-2019, 07:38 PM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
What would be even better - walk up and give him a Hongi

The traditional Māori greeting, the hongi is performed by two people pressing their noses together; some include, at the same time, the touching of foreheads. The greeting is used at traditional meetings among Māori people, and at major ceremonies, such as a pōwhiri. It may be followed by a handshake. Wikipedia
I have a hard time imagining the sight of a (D) candidate giving Trump a Hongi revving up the D-vote.
  #13  
Old 10-09-2019, 08:47 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 82,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
The nominee should shake hands. The last thing we need is an angry Republican using that as a reason to whip up emotion or even violence.
Yes, let's make them put a little effort into inventing a different thing to get outraged over.
  #14  
Old 10-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 82,909
The Democratic nominee should shake the President's hand.

Even if it's Trump.
  #15  
Old 10-09-2019, 09:02 PM
Moriarty's Avatar
Moriarty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 2,922
The cool thing to do is to start to shake the hand, but instead do a smooth move where you bring your hand up and run it through your hair instead. Add in a wink and a “too slow” - I can actually picture Biden doing this.

So, yeah, the best thing is to just shake the man’s tiny hand and be done with it.

Last edited by Moriarty; 10-09-2019 at 09:03 PM.
  #16  
Old 10-09-2019, 09:27 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 9,426
After the way that deviant fuck stalked around the stage while Hillary Clinton was taking her turn, no. He gave up the right to be treated with respect, particularly at a debate.
  #17  
Old 10-09-2019, 09:35 PM
The Tooth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,780
His own daughter wouldn't let him touch her at the little on-stage cocktail party afterward. It was beautiful.
  #18  
Old 10-09-2019, 11:02 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,449
Yes. An absolute bone-crushing handshake that leaves Trump on his knees gasping for breath and crying out softly like a little babe.

I can dream.
  #19  
Old 10-09-2019, 11:30 PM
Superdude's Avatar
Superdude is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Fortress of Solidude
Posts: 10,680
I can't believe that this is actually something that anyone would even have to ask about. Of course.they should shake hands. Or at least offer to. Two stupids don't make a smart.
__________________
I can't help being a gorgeous fiend. It's just the card I drew.
  #20  
Old 10-09-2019, 11:49 PM
bengangmo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 9,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I have a hard time imagining the sight of a (D) candidate giving Trump a Hongi revving up the D-vote.
Neither do I - but the R reaction would sure as hell be amusing
  #21  
Old 10-10-2019, 12:19 AM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 12,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I can't believe that this is actually something that anyone would even have to ask about. Of course.they should shake hands. Or at least offer to. Two stupids don't make a smart.

Thatís cool if you believe the Democratic nominee should shake his hand. I can see valid arguments for that position. But I donít see how you can just dismiss the question as though itís an absurd one. Is there anything Trump can say that would change your mind about this? Letís say we get to the debate (weíll say against Biden) and Trump has not only made fun of Jill Bidenís looks, but has openly speculated that Joe Biden purposely arranged to have his first wife and one of his kids killed to be able to later get sympathy votes in a presidential campaign. Or maybe heíll claim that Joe BidenĎs dad was actually the assassin who killed MLK. Should Joe walk up and shake such a personís hand?
  #22  
Old 10-10-2019, 01:14 AM
Thing Fish is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago (NL)
Posts: 3,506
Did Roosevelt shake hands with Hitler?
Did Lincoln shake hands with Davis?

No, they demanded unconditional surrender. That’s what you do when faced with an enemy committed to the destruction of your country’s government and the enslavement of its people.

Last edited by Thing Fish; 10-10-2019 at 01:17 AM.
  #23  
Old 10-10-2019, 01:28 AM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 43,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Yes. An absolute bone-crushing handshake that leaves Trump on his knees gasping for breath and crying out softly like a little babe.

I can dream.
If it's Warren, she should give him an Indian burn.
  #24  
Old 10-10-2019, 01:39 AM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
Did Roosevelt shake hands with Hitler?
Did Lincoln shake hands with Davis?

No, they demanded unconditional surrender. Thatís what you do when faced with an enemy committed to the destruction of your countryís government and the enslavement of its people.
I can see it now: Warren will go on stage, Trump will extend his hand in greeting, and she will refuse to shake, standing stiffly at attention: "The only acceptable act on your part is total and unconditional surrender!"


Moderators: "All right, shall we proceed? First question of the night....."
  #25  
Old 10-10-2019, 02:01 AM
D'Anconia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBucky View Post
Given Trump's utter disdain for the Constitution, I wonder if he'd somehow try to postpone and eventually cancel the election. He has spoken about deserving an investigation free additional term, serving for more than eight years and getting his son elected. He has also called the impeachment investigation an attempted coup. (And when Trump makes an accusation, it's actually a confession.) None of that sounds all that pro-democracy to me. And, after all, how many jets and tanks does Congress control?
What a silly post. People on different sides said the same thing in regards to cancelling elections about Presidents Obama, Bush, et. al.
  #26  
Old 10-10-2019, 02:36 AM
I Love Me, Vol. I's Avatar
I Love Me, Vol. I is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SF
Posts: 4,654
Shake his hand then immediately look down at it in amused amazement while mouthing the words: "Wow! It's really, really small!!"

Or, if the Dem nominee is feeling magnanimous, a fist-bump. I hate T-rump with the fire of 1,000 Zippos but even I would have to smile if Trumpy and Biden/Warren/Whoever fist-bumped before a debate.

Last edited by I Love Me, Vol. I; 10-10-2019 at 02:38 AM.
  #27  
Old 10-10-2019, 02:53 AM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 82,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
What a silly post. People on different sides said the same thing in regards to cancelling elections about Presidents Obama, Bush, et. al.
Did you miss the part where he pointed out that it was Donald Trump saying these things?

Sure, other people said that Bill Clinton, George Bush, or Barack Obama would try to remain in office past eight years. But none of those men ever said it.
  #28  
Old 10-10-2019, 03:54 AM
Unreconstructed Man is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 375
The shaking hands thing is tricky. If the Democratic nominee doesnít do it he looks petty, which will cost him votes with moderates. If he does do it our screechy hyper annoying progressive base will throw a shit fit thatíll make the rest of us look like idiots, be picked up and amplified for the best part of a week on FOX and social media, and also cost us votes with moderates.

Best thing to do, I think, is shake his hand but yank it aggressively like he does in a way which says ďYeah, Iím shaking your hand, but I still hate your fucking gutsĒ.
  #29  
Old 10-10-2019, 04:34 AM
Alessan's Avatar
Alessan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 24,846
How about this? They shake politely, and then when Trump turns away, they take some wipes out and calmly clean their hand.

A small bottle of sanitizer would also be good.

Last edited by Alessan; 10-10-2019 at 04:35 AM.
  #30  
Old 10-10-2019, 08:39 AM
BrotherCadfael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Refusing to shake hands with Trump would probably backfire more than it would help, especially if Trump is the one to extend his hand first and the (D) refuses. It would just look petty on TV.
If the Democratic nominee does shake hands, s/he will piss off people who absolutely will vote for them anyway. If s/he does not, they will piss off people who might vote for them, or might vote for the other guy.



Pretty simple cost/benefit analysis. Shake his hand.
  #31  
Old 10-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Alessan's Avatar
Alessan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 24,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
What would be even better - walk up and give him a Hongi

The traditional Māori greeting, the hongi is performed by two people pressing their noses together; some include, at the same time, the touching of foreheads. The greeting is used at traditional meetings among Māori people, and at major ceremonies, such as a pōwhiri. It may be followed by a handshake. Wikipedia
That sounds all right, but I would give half of what I own to see the Democratic candidate instead perform a Haka at the start of the debate.
  #32  
Old 10-10-2019, 09:06 AM
Fear Itself is offline
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 36,029
How about spitting on your hand, then stick it out to shake? Let Trump refuse to shake.
  #33  
Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 AM
not what you'd expect is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,904
Shake his hand, but wear a latex glove. Then after you shake his hand, peel off the glove and throw it away with a look of disgust.
  #34  
Old 10-10-2019, 09:37 AM
Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 17,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
That sounds all right, but I would give half of what I own to see the Democratic candidate instead perform a Haka at the start of the debate.
I was going to propose Namaskar, but I love the idea of a Haka.

The pistoning arms, stamping feet, and rhythmic shouting would frighten the pussy ass bitch into terrified retreat, bone spurs and all.
__________________
Uke

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 10-10-2019 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Typo
  #35  
Old 10-10-2019, 10:28 AM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
The shaking hands thing is tricky. If the Democratic nominee doesnít do it he looks petty, which will cost him votes with moderates. If he does do it our screechy hyper annoying progressive base will throw a shit fit thatíll make the rest of us look like idiots, be picked up and amplified for the best part of a week on FOX and social media, and also cost us votes with moderates.
I think half of the responses in this thread are really over-analyzing a molehill into a mountain. Do people really think the handshake will become an issue like that? It's something that people wouldn't even notice or think about unless someone hyped up a big deal about it. 99% of the post-debate focus is going to be on things that Trump and the Democratic candidate said during the debate, not about some handshake that takes all of 1 second.

In fact, this sounds almost like some sabotage job that 4chan would try to do: Deliberately hype up "The Handshake Issue" among Democrats until it takes on monumental meaning, thus paralyzing the candidate with indecision over what would, 99% of the time, be an utterly insignificant and unnoticeable thing.
  #36  
Old 10-10-2019, 10:34 AM
TruCelt's Avatar
TruCelt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 11,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
The Democratic nominee should shake the President's hand.

Even if it's Trump.
This is my opinion. The nominee is interviewing for the job of POTUS. It's a job requiring a great deal of self-disciplined diplomacy, especially in the wake of the current administration. We need someone who can demonstrate the ability to show deep grace in the face of any number of repulsive situations. The incumbent will suffer humiliations earned by the current President, meant to test whether the voters have found their ground and hired a better person.

Debates are the best place to show us they can handle it.
  #37  
Old 10-10-2019, 11:18 AM
Muffin is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Great White North
Posts: 20,674
Trump plays dominance games through his handshakes. Anyone shaking hands with him should prepare in advance. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ideo-explainer
__________________
Hour after hour, day after day, we paddled and sang and slept under the hot sun on the northern ocean, wanting never to return.
  #38  
Old 10-10-2019, 11:35 AM
Intergalactic Gladiator's Avatar
Intergalactic Gladiator is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
How about this? They shake politely, and then when Trump turns away, they take some wipes out and calmly clean their hand.

A small bottle of sanitizer would also be good.
First, the Democratic candidate has to watch out for Trump's twist and pull handshaking method.

Then he/she should shake hands but then when he/she pulls the hand away, sniff it tentatively, make a slightly disgusted face like it now smells, then wipe it off with a kerchief.

Or just give Trump the stink palm.
  #39  
Old 10-10-2019, 01:18 PM
Thing Fish is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago (NL)
Posts: 3,506
OK, how's this? Trump sticks out his hand, and the Democrat produces a pair of handcuffs.
  #40  
Old 10-10-2019, 02:16 PM
BrotherCadfael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I think half of the responses in this thread are really over-analyzing a molehill into a mountain. Do people really think the handshake will become an issue like that? It's something that people wouldn't even notice or think about unless someone hyped up a big deal about it. 99% of the post-debate focus is going to be on things that Trump and the Democratic candidate said during the debate, not about some handshake that takes all of 1 second.
It's the little things that can turn an election. Al Gore lost major points during the Bush debates with his eye rolling and condescending sighs. While any one thing by itself may not be enough to lose the election, it all adds up.
  #41  
Old 10-10-2019, 02:24 PM
TriPolar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 41,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
It's the little things that can turn an election. Al Gore lost major points during the Bush debates with his eye rolling and condescending sighs. While any one thing by itself may not be enough to lose the election, it all adds up.
He shook hands with Bush, right?
  #42  
Old 10-10-2019, 03:26 PM
beowulff's Avatar
beowulff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Scottsdale, more-or-less
Posts: 16,878
They should absolutely shake his hand.
Then pull him close, bend forward, and whisper “Now I’m going to kick your chickenshit ass.”
  #43  
Old 10-10-2019, 04:30 PM
Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 22,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Walking up to him, staring him in the eyes, and saying that he has disgraced the office of the presidency, then turning and walking to the podium, would not look cowardly.
I like this. Just make sure the mic is hot.
  #44  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:01 PM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Assuming Trump agrees to a debate, which is no sure thing, standard protocol is to shake hands at the start of the proceedings. For the first time in modern political history, I tend to lean toward thinking the Democratic presidential nominee should not shake his hand. But how would this go over politically? Does it conflict with a pledge to restore civility and traditional political norms?
Sure, why not? I'd say that it would be a sign of respect for the office, or the candidate position, not necessarily the person filling it. During the debate they can go wild on showing just how much they DON'T respect Trump, but it would be petty and really meaningless, and probably backfire, to not even shake the hand of the President, regardless of if the current person in that position is an idiot. And for no real gain, IMHO.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #45  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:06 PM
Pleonast's Avatar
Pleonast is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Los 'Kamala'ngeles
Posts: 7,318
Leave Trump out of it--the Democratic and Republican candidates should ignore him and shake each other's hands.
  #46  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:11 PM
Thing Fish is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago (NL)
Posts: 3,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
Leave Trump out of it--the Democratic and Republican candidates should ignore him and shake each other's hands.
You win the thread.
  #47  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:51 PM
Muffin is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Great White North
Posts: 20,674
Why not shake hands with each other and come out swinging, the way Canadian politicians do it? (Conservative Federal Senator Brazeau v. Liberal Federal Member of Parliament and now Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.)
__________________
Hour after hour, day after day, we paddled and sang and slept under the hot sun on the northern ocean, wanting never to return.
  #48  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:40 PM
kaylasdad99 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBucky View Post
My fantasy is the Democratic nominee selecting Mayor Pete for VEEP. And at the vice presidential debate watching Mike Pence trying to avoid shaking hands.

I rather doubt Trump will allow a debate. But if he does for some reason, the Democratic candidate should be civil at least until it comes time for him or her to start calling Trump the liar he is.

****

Given Trump's utter disdain for the Constitution, I wonder if he'd somehow try to postpone and eventually cancel the election. He has spoken about deserving an investigation free additional term, serving for more than eight years and getting his son elected. He has also called the impeachment investigation an attempted coup. (And when Trump makes an accusation, it's actually a confession.) None of that sounds all that pro-democracy to me. And, after all, how many jets and tanks does Congress control?

{I know that last paragraph sounds insane, but after the last several days, it no longer seems totally out of the realm of possibilities. }
Heh. Reminds me of the (Stalin? I wanna say Stalin) quote How many legions has the Pope? That one got a lot of callbacks when Kayol Wojtyla assumed the Papacy.
  #49  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:49 PM
Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,330
Two words: stink palm
  #50  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:58 PM
kaylasdad99 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
Shake his hand then immediately look down at it in amused amazement while mouthing the words: "Wow! It's really, really small!!"

Or, if the Dem nominee is feeling magnanimous, a fist-bump. I hate T-rump with the fire of 1,000 Zippos but even I would have to smile if Trumpy and Biden/Warren/Whoever fist-bumped before a debate.
Double fist-bump, like if they were wearing boxing gloves...
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017