Old 10-20-2019, 07:29 PM

I do enjoy Tarik Cohen jawing after a 9 yard gain on dump off, when his team is down 26 late in the 4th quarter. That's cool.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:35 PM

Saints playing awfully well without Brees.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I guess it might be time to get out the stopwatch to see how long Dan Quinn lasts.
At this point I'll be shocked if he lasts the rest of the season.
Quote:
I think he's a good coach, but he'll probably never recover from blowing a 28-3 lead in the big one - at least not while he's in Atlanta.
Funny, Dave Wannstedt on the Pro Football Weekly show has, more than once, commented: "I don't think Atlanta has recovered from losing to New England."
Old 10-20-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
First weekend in a while I've had a chance to just watch NFL Sunday and I'm impressed. Rainy weather along the East Coast makes for real football weather conditions. Those games in Washington and New York were beautiful, and I'm not being sarcastic.
I told my wife more than once while watching SF @ Wash: "Now THAT is football weather over there!"
Old 10-20-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Aaron Rodgers is having a pretty good day so far. At the moment, his stats are 24/29 passing, 355 yards, 4 touchdowns, no interceptions, plus a rushing touchdown.

On the other hand, it also looks like the Raiders have been solving the Packers' defense. Carr isn't often getting pressured, receivers are open, and Jacobs has been rushing well.
Aaron Rodgers is unbelievable. How often do teams have the luxury of having one future H.o.F. QB take over for another? The Packers have REALLY lucked out in that regard over the last 25+ years.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:45 PM

I predicted a Seahawks loss today. Despite their 5 - 1 record going into today I just haven't been that impressed. Baltimore took it to 'em because these Seahawks aren't good enough to make the kinds (and number) of mistakes that they did in today's game and in the game against "Nawlins" and still come away with the "W" (at least not against good teams).
Old 10-20-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Man, the Bengals are back to bein the Bungals.
And here I thought the fact that they played the Seahawks so tough in Week 1 meant that they'd made the right choice in changing head coaches. Now it looks more like that game said more about Seattle than it did about Cincinnatus.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I'm not a Ravens fan but I'm liking their defense. Kinda tired of seeing pretty boy Wilson get the benefit of roughing the passer calls.
I'm a HUGE R.W. fan. I've got stuff with his likeness on it all over my house. But I have to agree with you that at least some of the "roughing the passer" calls made when opponents have tackled him are the kinds of calls that a guy like Jack Lambert would be steaming mad at (and with good reason, in my opinion).
Old 10-20-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I think they're playing with purpose after they (in my opinion) got JOBBED out of a trip to the Super Bowl last season.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
I predicted a Seahawks loss today. Despite their 5 - 1 record going into today I just haven't been that impressed. Baltimore took it to 'em because these Seahawks aren't good enough to make the kinds (and number) of mistakes that they did in today's game and in the game against "Nawlins" and still come away with the "W" (at least not against good teams).
Itís telling that they gave up 14 points to turnovers (a pick-six and a fumble) and lost by 14 points.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:45 PM

Itís unbelievable how the Chargers find new and unique ways to blow games. Like, itís literally difficult to believe. Other teams go years without a loss like the Chargers today, but they have a game like this about once a month.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Aaron Rodgers is unbelievable. How often do teams have the luxury of having one future H.o.F. QB take over for another? The Packers have REALLY lucked out in that regard over the last 25+ years.
Had it not been for the surprise retirement of Andrew Luck, you might have been able to add Indianapolis to that list.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borschevsky View Post
Itís unbelievable how the Chargers find new and unique ways to blow games. Like, itís literally difficult to believe. Other teams go years without a loss like the Chargers today, but they have a game like this about once a month.
I feel for the Chargers. It seemed like they had their one dream season last year, and they came up short. Last year was probably Philip Rivers' last chance, and that's too bad. I've liked Rivers.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:07 AM

After a nice win against the Raiders, the Packers sit stop the NFC North at 6-1, but the resurgent Vikings are breathing down their necks at 5-2 (and with a better Points For/Points Against). It's looking like it could be a dogfight for the rest of the season.

It was fantastic to see, for probably the first time this year, the return of Aaron Rodgers' dominance. He ended up with a perfect passer rating this game, going 25 for 31 for 429 yards and 5 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, despite a critically hobbled wide receivring corp. The Packers offense under Matt LaFleur has been pretty stagnant so far this year, but it was hard watching the game to tell if it was the offensive plan, or just Aaron Rodgers being Aaron Rodgers. Hopefully, it's both.

The defense is still struggling against the run, which is troubling (especially when it comes Vikings time). The defense is very aggressive, which led to a couple of big plays this game, but I like it. If both sides of the ball can click at the same time, this team has a shot a another championship (NFL leading 13 NFL Championships, thank you very much).

The Vikings are looking really good though. I was a bit surprised the defense didn't show very well against the Lions, but part of that was game script I think. After a horrid start to the season, Kirk Cousins has shown his value with his 3rd straight 300+ yards, 130+ passer rating game in a row. Add in Dalvin Cook's amazing start, and this offense is pretty damn good. Add in a pretty solid defense, and this team too has a shot at the Super Bowl. There are some concerns for the defense going forward, but it might just have been an off game.

The Bears have hit a rough patch, losing their second in a row, and having a (lets be generous here) struggling offense. The margin for error for their defense and special teams is minimal, and unless that defense gets turnovers or special teams gets TD's, it could go badly. They allowed another 100 yard rusher, but I think that's more of a "we're fucking exhausted, man" and the loss of Akeim Hicks thing than a huge flaw.

Your reigning NFL Coach of the Year Matt Nagy is getting crushed by the media and fans. And I get it. They've sucked. Part of it isn't his fault (Trubisky certainly has given no one a reason to think he's not an enormous bust), but he hasn't found a way to make his offense work in the NFL. If the Bears have the ability to admit when they've fucked up and they go out and get even an average NFL QB to run the offense, they may still have a shot this year. But if they continue to trot Trubisky out there, I think Nagy may lose his team. It certainly looked like the defense gave up in the 4th quarter yesterday.

The problem isn't just Trubisky, though. He's shown he can garner wins if he only has to the minimum necessary. The Bears have made some problematic investments, including relying on Charles Leno, trading big to rent Mack for a year, and using 2nd round picks on Adam Shaheen and Anthony Miller. There certainly is time to turn this around, but I honestly expected more coming off the bye than the Bears offense delivered. Still, they were 3-3 to start off last year, so it could happen again. But the goodwill that Nagy and the offense had after last year is eroding very, very quickly.

The Lions have shown a good deal of improvement this year, but I don't think they're ready for the big boys yet. Yesterdays' injury to Kerryon Johnson was a big blow (although he certainly hasn't impressed me this year), but it was the collapse of the defense that has to be more worrying. Stafford is still Stafford, so you kinda know what to expect from here on out. Sorry Lions fans. Luckily, they get the woeful Giants next week, so there is a good chance to work out some things both offensively and defensively.

Next week the Packers play the Chiefs on Sunday night. I've been looking forward to that game all season, but it loses its luster with the injury to Patrick Mahomes, Get well soon, dude.

Oh, and Go Pack Go.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Can anyone justify the new onside kick rules?
Old 10-21-2019, 10:50 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I rather doubt it. I think that everyone, including the league, acknowledges that the rules changes for kickoffs have made converting an onside kick too difficult for the kicking team -- it shouldn't be easy to convert an onside kick, but it also shouldn't be a near-impossibility.

I have to imagine that the rules committee will tinker with it again this offseason, but I don't have much confidence that they'll be able to get back to anything resembling the balance in the old rules for onside kicks.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
The Vikings are looking really good though.

Add in a pretty solid defense, and this team too has a shot at the Super Bowl.
I don't have much faith in the Vikings but maybe they're trying to make up for last year when several people pegged them to make the S.B. and they flopped. I'm still not sure that Kirk Cousins is the guy they need to get them there, though.

Quote:
The Bears have hit a rough patch, losing their second in a row, and having a (lets be generous here) struggling offense.
Part of it isn't his fault (Trubisky certainly has given no one a reason to think he's not an enormous bust)
That was pretty much my point in referencing Sid Luckman earlier in this thread - that even here in the 21st century "Da Bears" still don't seem to be particularly good at drafting QBs.

Quote:
The Lions have shown a good deal of improvement this year, but I don't think they're ready for the big boys yet. Yesterdays' injury to Kerryon Johnson was a big blow (although he certainly hasn't impressed me this year), but it was the collapse of the defense that has to be more worrying. Stafford is still Stafford, so you kinda know what to expect from here on out. Sorry Lions fans. Luckily, they get the woeful Giants next week, so there is a good chance to work out some things both offensively and defensively.
I have even less faith in the Lions than I do in the Vikings. Not having won a league title in over half a century (the "Curse of Bobby Layne"!) and having been only marginally better at drafting QBs than "Da Bears" have been over the decades will do that. In short: the Lions in the Super Bowl - I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote:
After a nice win against the Raiders, the Packers sit stop the NFC North at 6-1,
With {ahem} a little help from the refs in that Thursday night game.

Quote:
Next week the Packers play the Chiefs on Sunday night. I've been looking forward to that game all season, but it loses its luster with the injury to Patrick Mahomes,
The Chiefs have kind of owned the Packers ever since S.B. I. I believe the Packers won the last meeting between the teams but it had been a long time since a Packers win in that series before that so we'll see how the next one goes. I have to believe that the Packers have the advantage with P.M. being out but we'll see.

Quote:
Get well soon, dude.
Amen to that.

Quote:
The defense is very aggressive, which led to a couple of big plays this game, but I like it. If both sides of the ball can click at the same time, this team has a shot a another championship
As of right now my favorites to get to the S.B. from the N.F.C. are "Nawlins" and San Francisco. The Packers have looked good (for the most part) but I consider them to be a lot like the Seahawks in that they have a good record but haven't been totally convincing.

Quote:
Oh, and Go Pack Go.

Quote:
(NFL leading 13 NFL Championships, thank you very much).
Heh, heh, heh
Old 10-21-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I was listening to the radio during the Seahawks' loss yesterday and the color commentator (former LB Dave Wyman) broached that very subject near the end of the game by pointing out that onside kicks are a very small percentage of the plays in football so there should've really been no need to change the rules surrounding them in the name of "player safety." I think he made a good point.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I'm not a Ravens fan but I'm liking their defense. Kinda tired of seeing pretty boy Wilson get the benefit of roughing the passer calls.
To be fair, R.W. isn't the only quarterback and the Seahawks aren't the only team in the N.F.L. that've "benefited" from the N.F.L.'s apparent goal of never letting another QB go down injured.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:16 PM

Does anyone think that the Eagles will get rid of Wentz and Pederson if they fail to make the playoffs this year?

Remember, sports is not about loyalty and autonomy anymore---it is about what have you done for me lately.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Does anyone think that the Eagles will get rid of Wentz and Pederson if they fail to make the playoffs this year?
This past offseason, the Eagles gave Wentz a contract worth at least $128 million and possibly up to $144 million, with $66 million fully guaranteed at signing and $107.9 million in guarantees. There is very little chance they'd "get rid of" him, let alone after a year where he still has a 90+ passer rating and top 10 QBR. Pederson is in his second year after winning the Super Bowl and made the playoffs last year, winning one game before falling to the Saints. The Eagles are one game out of their divisional lead. Barring a complete and utter meltdown the rest of the season, I can't imagine they'd get rid of their highly paid, franchise QB and Super Bowl winning coach this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
Remember, sports is not about loyalty and autonomy anymore---it is about what have you done for me lately.
Oh please, spare me the overinflated rhetoric. Again, barring something insane like the Eagles not winning another game or Wentz caught raping a bus full of penguins, the Eagles aren't getting rid of those two this year.

Last edited by Hamlet; 10-21-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Teddy! Teddy! Teddy!
Old 10-21-2019, 05:05 PM

Cam to Chicago?

Hmmmmm. . .https://sports.yahoo.com/could-cam-n...154306851.html
Old 10-21-2019, 05:29 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Cam is 30, and he's been beat up for the past few years; I'd be surprised if he's ever able to get back to anything close to how he played a few years ago. Even if the Bears decide that Trubisky isn't their QB of the future, I'm not at all convinced that Newton is that answer.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 10-21-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But the goodwill that Nagy and the offense had after last year is eroding very, very quickly.
Let me correct the record here. The goodwill is totally and completely gone. The pitchforks are out. Nagy is catching way more heat than Mitch is, justifiably.

As I was wallowing last night I looked at the Bears schedule for the rest of the season. In all seriousness, we could be looking at a 5-11 finish this year.

Let's take a quick look:
Week 8: Chargers
Week 9: @Eagles
Week 10: Lions
Week 11: @Rams (SNF)
Week 12: Giants
Week 13: @Lions (Turkey Day)
Week 14: Cowboys (TNF)
Week 15: @Packers
Week 16: Chiefs (SNF)
Week 17: @Vikings

On that list you can probably circle the Giants game as a likely W, but of course if our offense remains a clown show anything is possible. The Chargers and Eagles are both snake bit, but I don't feel confident in beating either team right now. Mahomes will be back for that SNF game, so we're probably in trouble there. The Lions match up pretty well against us so getting a split against them would feel like a lucky break. We kinda own the Vikings, but a week 17 road game is a coin flip at best and that team may have sorted their shit out by then.

Fuck me.

The defense has looked pedestrian the last couple weeks and I'm not sure how to react. Yes, the offense has done NOTHING and that group is both exasperated and exhausted, but they've been making a lot of unforced mistakes too. Eddie Jackson looks like a guy that doesn't give a shit which is not something I predicted. None of the LBs, Mack included, have been reliable tacklers. Running Backs all season have been consistently falling forward for 3-4 extra yards after first contact. The turnovers haven't been coming. They just seem to lack an aggressiveness that they had under Fangio. The defense is still plenty good enough to win a lot of game with, but right now they aren't playing well enough to carry a "don't screw it up" offense to victory.

On offense, I mean, holy shit. I was seriously thinking to myself, "do you think we could lure Cutler out of retirement?" Everyone is going to be killing Mitch, and you can't really defend him, but he's not close to the most frustrating thing about it. Our offensive line is fucking terrible. The running game doesn't seem like it has any chance of working, ever. The play calling is stuck in a horrible self-defeating cycle. We're so incapable of running the ball I don't blame Nagy for ditching it, but we don't have the QB or pass protection to survive that way.

We ran the ball on the first play of both halves. The first one was a Cohen run between the tackles for 1 yard which set up a 3 and out. The second drive of the first half was also a run by Cohen for no yards. The first drive of the second half was a 4 yard run by Montgomery which was of course fumbled. So yeah, if you're Nagy and you are dying to buy your defense a rest, do you really want to keep running the ball and setting up 3rd and long over and over again?

As to why is the running game so fucking broken? No idea. Is it the OL coach? Is it Nagy's playbook? Is it a lack of OL or RB talent? I really don't think it's a personnel problem, there's a lot of mediocre blockers and runners out there and they aren't this bad. I think it's Nagy's scheme, the guy just doesn't know how to draw up a run and when he calls them they are totally predictable. We never catch the defense off guard. Is it 9 man fronts due to no respect for the passing game? Probably some of that, but even still it's more than that.

Whatever it is, they got worse after the bye week. So I have zero optimism for improvement.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Let me correct the record here. The goodwill is totally and completely gone. The pitchforks are out. Nagy is catching way more heat than Mitch is, justifiably.
Nagy was Coach of the Year last year. Trubisky made the Pro Bowl.

I point that out not to defend them, but to point out how ridiculous those awards were for them last year. I do not think they somehow got worse at their jobs over the offseason; I think that a defense that gets 36 turnovers (5 more than any other team) can cover up for a lot of mediocrity on the offensive side of the ball.

Personally, I think Mitch simply isn't smart and/or experienced enough to dissect NFL defenses and make the right decisions, especially down the field. Sure he can throw those 4 yard hitches and stare down wherever Allen Robinson is, but that's about it. Because of that, Nagy can't run his usual offense, and is thus dependent on the defense to win games. Which can work (see 2018), but this year the turnovers aren't coming at the rate they were last year, and they're not as lucky with injuries. Those can certainly change over the rest of the season, but that may be a big ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni
Let's take a quick look:
Week 8: Chargers
Week 9: @Eagles
Week 10: Lions
Week 11: @Rams (SNF)
Week 12: Giants
Week 13: @Lions (Turkey Day)
Week 14: Cowboys (TNF)
Week 15: @Packers
Week 16: Chiefs (SNF)
Week 17: @Vikings
5 out of the next 6 games the Bears play are against teams with losing records. That will help the Bears a lot. I certainly hope they continue to suck and that Bears fans are done glorifying Matt Nagy, Mitch Trubisky and even Ryan Pace (Leonard Floyd has never lived up to #7 and Mitch before DeShaun and Patrick looks just silly now), but, like most things in the NFL, things tend to even out.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
With {ahem} a little help from the refs in that Thursday night game.
Bad calls happen. The admitted wrong call only gave the Packers a chip shot to win as time expired, instead of a slightly longer chip shot with just over a minute on the scoreboard - with an offense that put up a whopping 73 yards in the second half and no timeouts. It was a shit call, but to act like there was no way the Packers win without it is pushing incredulity.

Quote:
The Chiefs have kind of owned the Packers ever since S.B. I. I believe the Packers won the last meeting between the teams but it had been a long time since a Packers win in that series before that so we'll see how the next one goes. I have to believe that the Packers have the advantage with P.M. being out but we'll see.
Given that they play once every fourth year, I don't think the series means that much. For the sake of facts, the Chiefs had a whopping ONE game win streak in the series before 2015. Not exactly an ass-kicking.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Bad calls happen. The admitted wrong call only gave the Packers a chip shot to win as time expired, instead of a slightly longer chip shot with just over a minute on the scoreboard - with an offense that put up a whopping 73 yards in the second half and no timeouts. It was a shit call, but to act like there was no way the Packers win without it is pushing incredulity.
But they were still two awful calls and it VERY much gave the "look" that the league was trying to help Aaron Rodgers and the Packers out at the expense of the (hapless) Lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Given that they play once every fourth year, I don't think the series means that much. For the sake of facts, the Chiefs had a whopping ONE game win streak in the series before 2015. Not exactly an ass-kicking.
Green Bay went from 1987 to 2007 without beating Kansas City. What was that you mentioned about "facts"? https://www.pro-football-reference.c...tm2=kan&yr=all
Old 10-21-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Chicago doesnt have the draft picks to get Cam unless they trade their two second round picks. Lose Bears, Lose! I would love it if the Raiders got a 5-11 Bears number one pick this spring.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:42 PM

The Patriots are pretty good at making teams look pathetic. The Jets are pretty good at making themselves look pathetic. This game could end 70+ to 0.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Green Bay went from 1987 to 2007 without beating Kansas City. What was that you mentioned about "facts"? https://www.pro-football-reference.c...tm2=kan&yr=all
Quote:
I believe the Packers won the last meeting between the teams but it had been a long time since a Packers win in that series before that so we'll see how the next one goes.
Did you read what I responded to?
Old 10-22-2019, 12:07 AM

Does anyone think the 2019 Patriots can go 19-0?

In 2007, the Patriots went 19-0.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
To be fair, R.W. isn't the only quarterback and the Seahawks aren't the only team in the N.F.L. that've "benefited" from the N.F.L.'s apparent goal of never letting another QB go down injured.
As a matter of fact, Ziggy Ansah (a Seahawk) has the same thing happen to him in the TNF game against the Rams. He literally stumbled into Goff and hit him low, and it was only because he lost his balance. That actually turned a third down incompletion into a first down and led to an eventual touchdown.
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...ahawks-week-5/
So yes, itís nothing special about protecting RW, who by the way gets hit badly often and refs miss it. Including a nasty head shot this year that drew no flag (but did later draw a fine).
https://www.thenewstribune.com/sport...235233847.html
Old 10-22-2019, 06:35 AM

Is the state of offensive line play really so poor?

Winston, Mariota, Flacco, Dalton, Watson, and Kyler Murray have all been sacked over 20 times already, and Matt Ryan, Daniel Jones, Sam Darnold, and Josh Rosen have all recently been seen running for their lives. One of these guys is going to get killed out there. This is certainly not helping the development of Jones, Murray, Darnold and Rosen.

Granted, a lot of these QB's aren't helping themselves a lot of the time, but still. You can't protect Matt Ryan?! The guy was league MVP not that long ago.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:12 AM

No, the Patriots lost the Super Bowl to the Giants. They went 18-1. The only team to have a perfect season and post season combined was the Miami Dolphins.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Not likely.

They are 7-0, having averaged just under 32 points a game while allowing just under 7 - an impressive record.

But their opponents in those games currently have a collective record of just 12-32 (27%), having collectively scored 453 fewer points than their opponents. Only one of those 7 teams - Buffalo - has a winning record, and the Pats were unconvincing against the Bills (score was 16-10).

Their opponents in the 9 remaining games currently have a collective record of 28-32 (47%); five of these teams have a winning record.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

The Pats just traded for Mohamed Sanu from Atlanta to beef up their receiver corps.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...u-from-falcons
Old 10-22-2019, 06:35 PM

The 49ers traded for Emmanuel Sanders from Denver to beef up their receiver corps.

Terms:
49ers give a 3rd and a 4th
Broncos give Sanders and a 5th

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/10...anders-broncos

I love it. It's a little pricey for a half-year rental, but it was a position of weakness on an otherwise great squad, especially with injuries. The 4th for the 5th isn't much of a drop. If we don't sign Sanders to an extension, we can get a comp pick.

Another nice perk is that the Broncos run Shanahan's offense essentially (their OC worked under Kyle the last three years), so terminology etc will make for a quick acclimation process.

An undefeated, top-5 team just got better.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:

Dude (or Dudette...)... c'mon.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:16 PM

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...mment-made-air

Don't the teams agree to be mic'd up?
Old 10-22-2019, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Yankee View Post
Don't the teams agree to be mic'd up?
Yes, but a representative from NFL Films is there to monitor what is recorded and block anything that would be embarrassing from getting out. In many people's opinions, not just the Jets, they shouldn't have let the "ghosts" comment on the air. In many other people's opinion, the Jets should never have let Darnold be mic'd up. They need to have one player mic'd, but it doesn't have to be the one asked for.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Yes, but a representative from NFL Films is there to monitor what is recorded and block anything that would be embarrassing from getting out. In many people's opinions, not just the Jets, they shouldn't have let the "ghosts" comment on the air. In many other people's opinion, the Jets should never have let Darnold be mic'd up. They need to have one player mic'd, but it doesn't have to be the one asked for.
Ah, thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
The Pats just traded for Mohamed Sanu from Atlanta to beef up their receiver corps.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...u-from-falcons
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
The 49ers traded for Emmanuel Sanders from Denver to beef up their receiver corps.

Terms:
49ers give a 3rd and a 4th
Broncos give Sanders and a 5th

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/10...anders-broncos

I love it. It's a little pricey for a half-year rental, but it was a position of weakness on an otherwise great squad, especially with injuries. The 4th for the 5th isn't much of a drop. If we don't sign Sanders to an extension, we can get a comp pick.

Another nice perk is that the Broncos run Shanahan's offense essentially (their OC worked under Kyle the last three years), so terminology etc will make for a quick acclimation process.

An undefeated, top-5 team just got better.
DAMNIT. Gute, you've let me down.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In many people's opinions, not just the Jets, they shouldn't have let the "ghosts" comment on the air. In many other people's opinion, the Jets should never have let Darnold be mic'd up.
All of these people are idiots. Also idiots, anyone who is piling on Darnold for saying it. It's a common saying in the NFL and was an honest assessment of what was going on out there. What's the point of micing someone up if you can't use audio of him explaining what went wrong on a play (or plays). It's not some impeachable admission of incompetence any more than "I didn't see that linebacker dropping into the flat" would be following an interception.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Josh Gordon placed on IR, he’s done for the year. Explains the Sanu trade.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Josh Gordon placed on IR, heís done for the year. Explains the Sanu trade.
Huh? ESPN just reported that Gordon is about able to return to the field and the IR designation is a way for the Patriots to release him and then Gordon could sign with another team. No idea what the IR rules are, but this seems way too clever by half. If heís not still hurt, are the Pats trying to cover up another drug test by dumping him on IR?
Old 10-23-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:

I seriously doubt it. Obviously going unbeaten for an entire N.F.L. season has been incredibly difficult, even for some of history's very best teams. However, at this point I don't see any other team from the A.F.C. keeping them from making it to a 4th straight S.B. next February. After nearly 20 years I will no longer dismiss that team's chances of winning titles as long as B.B. and T.B. are still with the organization in their current capacities.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Josh Gordon placed on IR, he’s done for the year. Explains the Sanu trade.
Quote:
I seriously doubt it. Obviously going unbeaten for an entire N.F.L. season has been incredibly difficult, even for some of history's very best teams. However, at this point I don't see any other team from the A.F.C. keeping them from making it to a 4th straight S.B. next February. After nearly 20 years I will no longer dismiss that team's chances of winning titles as long as B.B. and T.B. are still with the organization in their current capacities.
I just checked, the Pats week 17 game is against....the Dolphins!!! So, this is likely to be a completely meaningless game with the exception of the Pats trying to go unbeaten if they haven’t slipped and the Dolphins trying to avoid a winless season if they haven’t pulled out a win. I wonder how many guys for the Pats will get rested or limited playing time. Plus, the game is at New England so the Dolphins may rest some guys that are banged up if the weather is lousy.

Last edited by dalej42; 10-23-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...and the Dolphins trying to avoid a winless season if they haven’t pulled out a win.
Alternative reality, the Dolphins will be trying very hard to stay winless (or at least keep the worst record) if that's necessary to lock up the 1st overall pick.

Last edited by Omniscient; 10-23-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I just checked, the Pats week 17 game is against....the Dolphins!!! So, this is likely to be a completely meaningless game with the exception of the Pats trying to go unbeaten if they havenít slipped and the Dolphins trying to avoid a winless season if they havenít pulled out a win. I wonder how many guys for the Pats will get rested or limited playing time. Plus, the game is at New England so the Dolphins may rest some guys that are banged up if the weather is lousy.
Interestingly, in the 2007 season the Patriots final game was also meaningless for both teams. The Pats were obviously guaranteed the 1 seed, and their opponent was guaranteed the first wildcard slot/5th seed regardless of whether they won or lost. Didn't stop both teams from playing their hearts out for a win. Their opponent, of course, was the Giants.