Old 01-28-2017, 07:35 AM

Something Special Pet Supplies by SDMB member JcWoman

Hi everyone, I finally subscribed so that I can post my shop here. I invite anyone with pets to check it out and questions and feedback are welcome. I am almost constantly improving the product lines to maintain quality and stick to a carefully curated line of innovative products. I sell mostly interactive toys but also have some pet beds and safety products.

If you have dogs*, cats, birds, rabbits, rats, ferrets, or sugar gliders, please check it out.
* I carry a variety of American and Irish basket muzzles for greyhounds!

https://www.somethingspecialpetsupplies.com/

I won't advertise much here, but invite you to peek at my shop often to see what's new, or you can subscribe to the newsletter to stay informed. I have a unique marketing/newsletter policy that centers on an ALL SPAMMERS MUST DIE philosophy therefore I cannot/will not spam my customers. You can read the main points in the homepage footer, which then links to a blog article that explains my rationale in amusing detail.

My mission is to sell only products that promote the mental and physical well-being of pets. No cheap crap from China laced with melanine, and no edible products because it's too hard to control quality of food/treat ingredients. (Minor exception for the rabbit/small pet toys because those species just chewchewchew to play and stay healthy. I am able to carefully control the quality of those limited products by working only with small USA-based manufacturers who hand-make the products.)

Welcome, have a seat, enjoy your visit!

Last edited by JcWoman; 01-28-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Advertisements  
Old 01-29-2017, 12:09 AM

I love some of the interactive toys! I think my BC will love them. Once I have a bit of extra money I will be placing an order!
Old 01-29-2017, 07:48 AM

Awesome! I love those, too. For a while the only ones like them on the market were Nina Ottosson puzzles, mostly for dogs and very little for cats. I loved those, too, but they are exhorbitantly expensive so I'm dumping them in favor of the Trixie Pet products. Trixie Pet even designed a bunch for the kittehs. They do manufacture in China to keep the costs down but they're a German company and keep a very close eye on their quality control. (I think Ottosson manufactured in in their home country of Sweden, which is why they were costly.)
Old 07-12-2017, 09:26 AM

Just added a new kitty toy to my product lineup. I got one free in an event swag bag and my cat loves it so much I wrote to the company and asked if I could sell them. I have a bunch in stock now!

https://www.somethingspecialpetsuppl...ing-puzzle-box

It's essentially a cardboard box with holes cut in it. Cats LOVE boxes, and even more if they have holes where micies can hide. We found that if you toss a little kitty toy ball or toy mouse into the box, the cat never gets bored with it.

We've also implemented a gift registry and have added more rescue donation partners.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:19 AM

Hi JC: I hope your pet biz is doing well! We need a refill on pitbull puppies' toys -- can you recommend some really durable soft toys you sell? They're quite the alligators!
Old 07-12-2017, 01:08 PM

Sure, I've added a couple of the popular Tuffy designs. They're made by the same company that does the Mighty Dog, but they're supposed to be even harder to destroy. The Mighty Massives might be good too.

Check here: https://www.somethingspecialpetsuppl...tpage/VIP-Toys

For dedicated toy destroyers try the ones with a 9 or 10 on the "Durascale".

Last edited by JcWoman; 07-12-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:57 PM

So I've decided to stand up a presence in a regular weekend marketplace and encourage people to bring their pets to test my products, play and try things on. Starting August 19th, I'll be at the Reston Indie Arts Market, which is located in Lake Anne behind the farmer's market (between the buildings). The market hours are from 9am to some time after lunch (they seem flexible, anytime between 12 and 2). This is in Reston, Virginia.

I'm going to rotate the products I bring to sell: dogs this weekend, cats the next, then birds and bunnies, back to dogs, etc. Details, address and maps are on my website.

Although the ultimate goal is to increase my sales to grow the business, there is no obligation to make a purchase. Bring your best friend just to play with the toys, try things on and chat. If there's something in my online shop that you are intrigued by, contact me a couple weeks in advance of when you come and I can make sure I have it there for you. (I only have a few things in stock, most is drop-shipped, but with noticed, I can have dropship stuff delivered to me and bring it to the market.)
Old 08-16-2017, 12:44 PM

I like the look of the no choke leash. Just sent in my order. If you are keeping track even though it is a domestic shipment for now, mark this as a sale to a customer in the Cayman Islands who will ultimately ship it onward to Colombia, South America. You've hit the international big time!
Old 08-16-2017, 02:18 PM

Thanks Iggy, I saw it come through! Can you tell me a little more about the shipping on to Colombia? Are you going to supply a shop, or you just know lots of dog owners there? If it's just for friends, if you like, for the next order you can put Colombia as the shipping address and I'll see what it costs to ship it directly there. I can ship international but I just don't know how much it costs. Once I do one order to that country then I have a better idea and can add it to my list of places I ship to.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:15 PM

I never thought she'd do it, but Iggyette actually saved her allowance and bought a puppy - a German Shepherd puppy. I'll combine this with other non-pet stuff and put it in a care package I'm shipping onward to family

I use a shipper similar to Servientrega. Their focus is on the Latin American market but they have arrangements for a handful of collection points in the States which are scattered about in Latino communities.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:50 PM

Ah, cool. I think she will like the HarnessLead. It's easily adjustable so as the puppy grows she can keep using it and not have to buy another one. It's also soft and squeezes around the chest to gently discourage pulling. I use it on my two greyhounds and love it.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:48 PM

Do you have anything like a raincoat for chihuahuas? I live in the PNW and my son's chi is convinced the world is ending when it rains. He also has no fur, poor thing. We'd like to keep taking him on family walks and hikes, but I think he's going to need some cover.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:30 AM

Hi Sunny Daze, I don't, unfortunately. That seems like a bit of a specialty product. I can easily find pretty and cute shirts and dresses for the little dogs, but not rain coats. For a dog that small, perhaps a dog version of a baby bjorn?