The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 08-19-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawoot View Post
I read somewhere, years ago, that many taboo things on prime time TV were broken a long time ago on the afternoon soaps, including (implied) oral sex. Anyone know if this is true?
In the past few years a couple of soaps have had gay sex scenes. I haven't watched any of them and I'm sure they end the scene before things get really interesting, but obviously there would be oral sex there since it's about the one act you can pretty sure all gay couples do (I'm sure there are exceptions, but very few).

Last edited by Sampiro; 08-19-2010 at 05:58 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 08-19-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vislor View Post
Back in season 3 of Friends, after Ross and Rachel had broken up, there is an episode that has him pining to his ex, who is now a lesbian. (The One Without the Ski Trip) Ross goes over to Carol, his ex, and Susan's and as Ross is talking, Carol picks at her tongue. That seemed pretty obvious to me what was being hinted. Okay, it's 1997 but I don't know the 1987 reference.

vislor
Even more explicitly on Friends.....Joey is saving his semen for some reason (getting paid as a lab test subject, IIRC), and is in bed with a new girlfriend, who works creating gift baskets. Joey keeps diving under the covers, avoiding PIV sex. The next day his apartment is full of gift baskets.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
I have to say no. If nothing else, Buffy the Vampire Slayer's "Once More, With Feeling," features a scene that clearly is intended to convey oral sex between Tara and Willow. Perhaps (before she became offended) Ms. Margulies meant heterosexual oral sex. I can't imagine she's right even then, but I can't think of a counterexample.
There was a scene before that involving Spike and the Buffy-bot in the crypt.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:13 PM

I'm going to cut Ms. Margulies some slack and assume she misspoke. She meant to say "blowjob" and instead said "oral sex" to try and come off more classy.

If this is the case, and I know I'm assuming a lot here, would she be right? If we eliminate all of the references or allusions to cunnilingus, has a broadcast network show (not a movie or program on a cable channel) actually shown a woman giving, or getting ready to give, head? I can't think of one. Jokey references or allusions before or after the fact don't count, I'm talking about actually showing someone getting down to business ready to slob some knob (I keep it classy too!)
Old 08-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post
I'm going to cut Ms. Margulies some slack and assume she misspoke. She meant to say "blowjob" and instead said "oral sex" to try and come off more classy.

If this is the case, and I know I'm assuming a lot here, would she be right? If we eliminate all of the references or allusions to cunnilingus, has a broadcast network show (not a movie or program on a cable channel) actually shown a woman giving, or getting ready to give, head? I can't think of one. Jokey references or allusions before or after the fact don't count, I'm talking about actually showing someone getting down to business ready to slob some knob (I keep it classy too!)
The scene from How I Met Your Mother counts. First you see Marshall driving alone, then he gets pulled over. By the time the cop gets there, Lily is sitting upright in her seat. Fairly clear what she was doing.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

So let's see if I can recap:

Juliana is told by the network/show bosses to make a big deal out of the "oral sex" scene.
Juliana does as she's told.
Reporter calls her (her bosses) on the inaccuracy of the claim.
She reacts badly.
Internet geekery ensues.

That about right?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:51 PM

Anybody remember when the popular-at-the-time-pretty-much-forgotten-now series Sisters premiered (1991) and caused a huge sensation- in all the papers and on the news- because they talked about orgasms in the opening episode?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:48 PM

Is FX a network? Because in The Shield there was an extremely explicit scene when the police chief had to blow a gangbanger at gunpoint, culminating in the banger taking pics of the chief bobbing for knob with his camera phone, and said pics played a large part in a later story arc as well.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
I have to say no. If nothing else, Buffy the Vampire Slayer's "Once More, With Feeling," features a scene that clearly is intended to convey oral sex between Tara and Willow. Perhaps (before she became offended) Ms. Margulies meant heterosexual oral sex. I can't imagine she's right even then, but I can't think of a counterexample.
There was a scene before that involving Spike and the Buffy-bot in the crypt.
Well, I'm not sure whether that scene (which I cited earlier in the thread) qualifies as "heterosexual", given that one of the participants was a robot.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:18 PM

I think she's full of it. I haven't seen the clip, but I can guarantee it's implied sex.

The only time you're ever going to see genitalia on the networks is on PBS or a medical documentary (and even then, an 80-90% chance of it being hidden or censored.)
Old 08-20-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
Is FX a network?
No.

To clarify for everyone who doesn't know what the term "broadcast network" means, it means free, over-the-air stations. This is not a pedantic issue, as broadcast networks (free over the air) are regulated by the FCC for indecency (before 10pm), and can be fined quite a bit of money if they swear or show nudity and somebody complains.

Premium cable networks like HBO and Showtime are obviously not broadcast networks, with swearing, nudity, and no in-program commercials.

Cable networks like FX, USA, TNT, Comedy Central, etc... look and feel like broadcast networks due to the commercials and lack of swearing and nudity, but they are not. They are not regulated by the FCC, which is why shows like The Shield can have swearing and nudity. The other big clue is that you cannot watch them by plugging in a rabbit-ears TV to a power outlet; you must pay somebody to watch them.

The entire reason the FCC exists is the idea that kids can easily access broadcast TV, so it should maintain a modicum of decency when kids are watching. If you don't want your kid seeing the bad stuff on cable, don't pay for it and your kids will be physically unable to watch it. You can't tell parents to just throw away the TV to keep idecent broadcast shows away from them because broadcast TV is a vital resource via the Emergency Broadcast System. So the free stuff that all kids can watch (broadcast networks) are regulated.

Note that after 10pm, broadcast TV is not regulated by the FCC. This cuts through all timezones, though, so that means all of primetime is regulated since primetime runs from 7pm to 10pm in the Central time zone.

The only reason you don't see much swearing or nudity on basic cable or on broadcast TV after 10pm is because putting that content in your show will drive away 90% of advertisers. (I actually read that stat recently, but can't remember where.)

EDIT: The same applies to radio. Free radio is regulated by the FCC, while satellite radio is not. I believe there are a couple politicians who want to extend the FCC's purview to include pay services, which I find highly objectionable. Why should all my entertainment be sanitized for children?

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 08-20-2010 at 12:47 AM..
Old 08-20-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I suppose arguably he could have been kissing her tummy, and that's probably what a lot of embarrassed parents told their curious children that night.
How many kids do you think watched LA Law with their parents?
Old 08-20-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
]Movies shown on broadcast TV count - if the scene in question is broadcast. By that metric, I'll Take Manhattan counts.
Then I nominate Silver Streak from 1976, which I'm sure has been seen on TV. The oral sex is vital to the plot. Gene Wilder and Jill Clayburgh have gone back to his room, and he is flat on his back, with a good view, when he sees a body fall in front of his window, which starts off the plot. I don't see how they could cut this scene without the movie making no sense at all, but what is happening is implied, not explicit.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:14 AM

Has the frontal nudity taboo (male or female) ever been broken on prime time network television? Some channels aired Schindler's List uncut which included scenes of frontal nudity among concentration camp inmates- some aired a censored version- but I'm referring to television series. While I'm sure we've never seen an actual penis or public area, have we ever seen a partial one or pubes even?
(The most likely to do so would probably be a medical show like E.R. showing it in a non-sexual context.)
Old 08-20-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneyfailure View Post
Quote:
I suppose arguably he could have been kissing her tummy, and that's probably what a lot of embarrassed parents told their curious children that night.
I honestly don't know. I have to assume a few, what with America of the 1980s being such a decadent atheist hotbed of liberal welfare-mooching pinko radicals.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
At least I think it was Mr. Rogers. Anybody else remember these episodes?
Sesame Street slash? Got a story about Snuffleupagus?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Has the frontal nudity taboo (male or female) ever been broken on prime time network television? Some channels aired Schindler's List uncut which included scenes of frontal nudity among concentration camp inmates- some aired a censored version- but I'm referring to television series. While I'm sure we've never seen an actual penis or public area, have we ever seen a partial one or pubes even?
(The most likely to do so would probably be a medical show like E.R. showing it in a non-sexual context.)
Chicago Hope was the first network show to show a topless woman (after surgery). It was also the first show to feature the word "shit" after the 10 PM watershed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Hope#Firsts
Old 08-20-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
ER had actually shot and was prepared to air an episode in which an elderly lady was shown topless during emergency treatment. But because of the climate Janet Jackson created with her Superbowl halftime show, they ended up having to pixelate her chest or risk severe fines from the FCC.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
Is FX a network?
No.

To clarify for everyone who doesn't know what the term "broadcast network" means, it means free, over-the-air stations. This is not a pedantic issue, as broadcast networks (free over the air) are regulated by the FCC for indecency (before 10pm), and can be fined quite a bit of money if they swear or show nudity and somebody complains.

Premium cable networks like HBO and Showtime are obviously not broadcast networks, with swearing, nudity, and no in-program commercials.

Cable networks like FX, USA, TNT, Comedy Central, etc... look and feel like broadcast networks due to the commercials and lack of swearing and nudity, but they are not. They are not regulated by the FCC, which is why shows like The Shield can have swearing and nudity. The other big clue is that you cannot watch them by plugging in a rabbit-ears TV to a power outlet; you must pay somebody to watch them.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Always wondered about it.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:39 AM

Tru Blood. Lie back and think of Estonia.

Definatly not safe for work.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I recall a scene from a 1987 movie called I'll Take Manhattan, where Valerie Bertinelli -- yes, Barbara Cooper herself -- unbuckled her guy's belt in a manner that left no doubt whatsoever what was about to transpire. It was so blatant (even on its network TV broadcast) that even my mother-in-law commented on it.
Quote:
Movies don't count. If it did, the infamous The Brown Bunny would have been brought up by now. (I assume Dopers are smart enough to know why this movie would come up in this thread.)
IMDB lists "I'll take Manhattan" as a TV miniseries, which would qualify it for this thread. Link

Last edited by zamboniracer; 08-20-2010 at 10:27 AM..
Old 08-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhal View Post
I think she's full of it. I haven't seen the clip, but I can guarantee it's implied sex.

The only time you're ever going to see genitalia on the networks is on PBS or a medical documentary (and even then, an 80-90% chance of it being hidden or censored.)
You could show a fairly explicit blowjob without showing genitalia. Woman kneeling in front of the guy, bobbing up and down, man clearly enjoying it. No genitals shown, but probably too raunchy for primetime network TV.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
A dopey sitcom did this, with the wife trying something new by blowing her husband in the car while he was driving. They crash, cop asks what happened, husband says "Show him, honey!"

I forget which show, maybe Everybody Loves Raymond or Malcom In The Middle or something like that. The couple definitely wasn't young; 40s at least.
I think you were thinking of the movie, "Parenthood".
Old 08-20-2010, 12:57 PM

Another almost is the Firefly episode "Heart of Gold." There's a very clear blowjob in the episode, but it was never aired because Fox canceled the show days before it would have been shown.

Of course, all us Browncoats know the rest of the story.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Jay Mohr's short-lived but pretty damned clever series "Action" featured what he claimed was the first guy-on-guy oral on a TV series (plus that show also featured Illeana Douglas giving Keanu Reeves a hand-job...). That was in 1999-2000.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhkendall View Post

Movies don't count. If it did, the infamous The Brown Bunny would have been brought up by now. (I assume Dopers are smart enough to know why this movie would come up in this thread.)
Movies shown on broadcast TV count - if the scene in question is broadcast. By that metric, I'll Take Manhattan counts.
Ah, my bet is, even without the very explicit (ie no fakery whatsoever, you can clearly see Vincent Gallo's penis in ChloŽ Sevigny's mouth for several minutes) blowjob in The Brown Bunny, it wouldn't be shown on network TV because, from the reviews I've heard, the movie is one of the most heinous crimes against celluloid ever committed. Even after Gallo relented and made a version without the explicit sex (all the while protesting that it was essential to the plot, case could be made either way, frankly) the movie is still incredibly awful.

Quote:
Around 1972 there was an episode of Mr. Rogers in which Queen Sarah Saturday wanted to borrow a book from the library but couldn't find the librarian, Milady Stacks. [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhal View Post
*That's* why Mr. Rogers was on PBS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Sesame Street slash? Got a story about Snuffleupagus?
"I'm hung like a snuffleupagus. Trouble is, only Big Bird can see it" - some comedian from the 80s
Old 08-20-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Bailey View Post
Quote:
Chicago Hope was the first network show to show a topless woman (after surgery). It was also the first show to feature the word "shit" after the 10 PM watershed.

What about Roots? That was broadcast in 1977, and there were topless women in the first episode (the scenes in Africa when Kunte was captured and put on the ship to America.) But as far as I can remember, there were no blowjobs shown or implied. Just boobies.

Last edited by Sean Factotum; 08-20-2010 at 03:54 PM..
Old 08-20-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
There was an episode where June told Ward the Beaver needed a tongue-lashing.
June: "Ward, don't you think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night?"
Old 08-20-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Factotum View Post
Quote:

What about Roots? That was broadcast in 1977, and there were topless women in the first episode (the scenes in Africa when Kunte was captured and put on the ship to America.) But as far as I can remember, there were no blowjobs shown or implied. Just boobies.
You've got to read the first carefully. Chicago Hope was the network show to do it. Roots was a miniseries.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Factotum View Post
"Nudity above the waist is OK below the equator."
Old 08-21-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Are you counting that one mistress or whatever as a concentration camp inmate? You know, the scene that you would now expect the L-shaped sheet. It's been so long, I can't remember the context.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryman View Post
I think you were thinking of the movie, "Parenthood".
Yep, I sure was. Thanks much. In fairness to me, Parenthood is actually a broadcast network tv show now, so the wires got crossed in my memory. Yeah, that's the story I'm sticking to.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 08-21-2010 at 12:31 AM..
Old 08-23-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Around 1972 there was an episode of Mr. Rogers in which Queen Sarah Saturday wanted to borrow a book from the library but couldn't find the librarian, Milady Stacks. Telling king Friday XIII about it he merely said "Oh... oh... oh yes... really...", causing her to tear away the tapestry from the podium he was standing at and learning that Milady Stacks was in fact the king's mistress. The oral sex was not explicit, only implied, but the implication strengthened when Milady Stacks told the queen "Begging your majesty's pardon, though my valley hath ne'er been plowed yet my mouth is filled with kingly seed", culminating in her expelling Milady from her maidens until King Friday solemnly swore to her while holding the relic of St. Augustine of Florida and in the presence of His Holiness Pope Purrie that "I hath with Milady been improperly intimate, I do so yield and and will penance make before God and before my queen, but know that even yet is she a maid and her maidenhead intact and the union hath not been made consummate in such a way as to create progeny".

Obviously this changed before the 1976 story arc when Milady Stacks bore his bastard Sir Blue Monday, challenged the legitimacy of Prince Tuesday, and drove Queen Sarah Saturday from court as she entered a sham marriage with the king. How many times did I rush in to the house to see how Queen Sarah Saturday, a still regal and arrogant but near penniless exile in Sesame Street, strove to raise and finance a muppet army and stage a coup on behalf of Prince Tuesday without having to promise away half of Make Believe's revenues. The Fairchilde/Von Count Treaty whereby they reconciled, King Friday XIII agreeing to abdicate upon Prince Tuesday's 21st birthday and forever remove Blue Monday from the succession, Milady Stacks being exiled to Bemidji, Minnesota (tell me you didn't have to look that one up on the map when it aired!) and restoring her abandoned jewels in exchange for Queen Sarah Saturday agreeing to DNA testing for the prince and an oath of fealty to him until his education that would result in her immediate excommunication should she again seek aid of muppets, and then just as they are about to swear their oaths and sign she adds in that King Friday XIII must have no other mistresses, but he tricks her by saying "I do solemnly swear I shall never penetrate another woman" then, for the first time ever, winking at the camera... that wasn't just the first oral sex I remember on TV but damned good educational programming.

At least I think it was Mr. Rogers. Anybody else remember these episodes?
Just thought everyone should read it again. It's wonderful.

And yes, I remember I had to look up Bemidji AND abdication.

At first, I was too young to really understand what was going on. Until I found a bunch of older kids who would meet behind the jungle gym to discuss the "Mr. Rogers/Queen Sarah scandals" and explain all the "in-your-windows" [sic].

Got quite an education from THAT storyline, I'll tell ya.

But when I think back, I wonder if it was too complicated, not to mention yucky, for the younger demographic that was most of the viewing audience.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:48 PM

To drag this thread back to the OP, there was another onscreen blowjob on Family Guy earlier this year.

In the episode Big Man on Hippocampus, Peter loses his memory and Lois tries to get him to remember what sex is like. She does by kissing his chest, then his stomach, then her head drops out of view (to where Peter's crotch would be). Then Peter gets a big smile on his face.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:32 PM

L.A. Law had an episode where a technique called the 'Venus Butterfly', seemingly about cunnilingus was a major plot point. Hill St. Blues had a post sex scene with a lollipop and some quote that implied fellatio. Saturday Night Live made a variety of references, starting at least in the second season when Jane Curtin took over the newsdesk, and possibly before that. Movies that were broadcast would include Police Academy and The Seduction of Joe Tynan. Shampoo was shredded in its original network showings, but From Russia with Love probably kept the line quoted earlier, it was ambiguous enough to pass censorship.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
To drag this thread back to the OP, there was another onscreen blowjob on Family Guy earlier this year.

In the episode Big Man on Hippocampus, Peter loses his memory and Lois tries to get him to remember what sex is like. She does by kissing his chest, then his stomach, then her head drops out of view (to where Peter's crotch would be). Then Peter gets a big smile on his face.
I think Family Guy was also the first program to show a gay eleven-way.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:46 PM

Family Guy also had the parody diamond commercial, with a man and woman in silhouette and the the woman's figure starts to go down while an announcer says "Diamonds, she'll pretty much have to ..."
Old 08-24-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneyfailure View Post
Quote:
Well, there was me and everybody at my junior high.

--Cliffy
Old 08-24-2010, 06:30 AM

There was a mid-run episode of NYPD Blue where they arrested a (male) prostitute who would give guys blowjobs in bathroom stalls at Port Authority (or maybe Grand Central). His trick was he carried a large paper shopping bag that he'd kneel in so that, to the casual observer, it just looked like a guy had brought a parcel in the stall with him so nobody stole it.

There was also an episode in the second season of Friends (1995), which revealed that Joey had a (non-sexual) role in a porn movie. So the group watches it -- the scene is shot from behind the TV, so you see them watching it but you don't see what's on screen. Then there's this bit of dialogue:

CHANDLER: OK, now wait a minute. That is the craziest typing test I've ever seen.

MONICA: All I say is, she better get the job.

ROSS: Looks to me like he's the one getting the job.

So, not on screen, but clearly implying what's going on.

--Cliffy
Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 AM

Much later than other cites, but just to make it clear how common this is on TV:

Grey's Anatomy, middle of season 5, Alex drops down in front of Izzie in an office. With ghost Denny watching (for a little bit).

In addition to the scene in Seinfeld mentioned earlier, there's an episode where Elaine complains to Jerry that her new boyfriend doesn't do "everything".
Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 AM

In an ep. of Hill Street Blues--not sure of the year or the season, but pretty late in the run--Lt. Hunter is in bed, talking, while a strange slurping sound is going on. Moments later, his English girlfriend comes out from under the sheet and joins in on the conversation. Later on, Hunter is trapped in a basement and forced to cannibalize his dead friend, and this same girlfriend breaks up with him because a previous lover--Polynesian royalty--had likewise eaten human flesh and she didn't want that to define her relationships. The "eating" motif was dragged out a little, I think.

Another time, Officer Tina Russo is undercover as a patient of a reputedly pervy dentist, who (Am I remembering this correctly?) puts her under with gas and molests her in the mouth while J.D. LaRue videotapes the incident and declines to interfere before the doctor ejaculates.