Old 09-26-2017, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Trump explains that (appearances notwithstanding) there's nothing wrong with his priorities:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Dotard
"I wasn't preoccupied with the NFL. I was ashamed of what was taking place because to me, that was a very important moment," Trump said, adding later, "I have plenty of time on my hands. All I do is work."
Old 09-26-2017, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Does he not even understand what "time on my hands" actually means?

Last edited by EddyTeddyFreddy; 09-26-2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-26-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
This.

Trump does not put any thought into what he is saying. "Will it get me attention?" is his only motivator.

He is the functional equivalent of an 8 year old at his parents party, who goes over an kicks a guest in the shins because nobody is paying attention to him.

"LOOOK AT MEEEEE!!!" is the basic motivator for Trump.
I've watched the clip of him going off at the NFL players during the Alabama rally several times now ( because it gets lots of play on cable news ). I really think that he really wanted to pull that stupid "YOU'RE FIRED!" schtick because he needed an audience reaction and they just happened to be the first target that came into his deranged head. Like Tom Price was the target when he pulled that stunt at the Boy Scout rally. Speaking of, I wonder if he will fire Price because he couldn't get ObamaCare repealed like he promised at that rally.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Yeah, I know -- Red Meat to the Loyal Supporters and all. But I didn't realize they were this far divorced from reality.
So you're saying that even after they voted for Trump, you still thought they were sufficiently connected to reality? That alone wasn't enough for you? I mean, in your opinion, voting for Donald Trump for President of the United States of America was a rational, viable option that decent, thinking, logical, knowledgable, reasonable people could make?

Old 09-26-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
Yeah, I thought it was Obama who was going to do that.

Perhaps not to be outdone, Roy Moore pulled out his gun while speaking at a rally. Even in Alabama it's illegal to carry a gun at a public demonstration, but whatever...
Since when has Roy Moore ever given a shit about personally obeying the law?
Old 09-26-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
I think I could handle radical behavior like silently taking a knee when the anthem is played.
Introducing a baseball metaphor into a football topic, Trevor Noah really hit one out of the park last night: When Is the Right Time for Black People to Protest? (Youtube)
Old 09-26-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
So you're saying that even after they voted for Trump, you still thought they were sufficiently connected to reality? That alone wasn't enough for you? I mean, in your opinion, voting for Donald Trump for President of the United States of America was a rational, viable option that decent, thinking, logical, knowledgable, reasonable people could make?

It's always surprising as to how far from reality they have wondered.

It's like the flat earthers. There is plenty of debate as to the exact age and shape of the planet, so if someone said the earth was a sphere, they'd be wrong. If they insisted it's a sphere after being informed as to the oblateness around the equator and other imperfections, then they are refusing to accept reality, preferring instead their simpler view. This is where most of us keep thinking that trump supporters are, just a bit wrong, and refusing to acknowledge it.

It's only when you realize that these people are actually saying that the earth is flat that you get knocked back a step, and have to reevaluate how far someone can be from reality while still feeding and clothing themselves. This is where we keep ending up with trump supporters.

We thing that there is some nuanced thing that there is that maybe we just aren't really understanding where they are coming from, and if we did, then we would understand their support. But that's the problem, we keep assuming that these people are rational, and just operating out of a slightly different book, but they are not. They are completely fucking nuts, and they threw away the book because reading's for librul elitists.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post

If you scratch the words "decent" and "reasonable" out of that sentence, then yes. Voting for Donald Trump for President of the United States of America was a rational, viable option that thinking, logical, knowledgable, reasonable people could make.

There are surely many different flavors of Trump supporters, but they are equally certainly not all crazy, stupid, or otherwise disconnected from reality. Some of them are simply evil. In fact, I would go so far as to say that a significant portion of his remaining supporters, if not a majority, are quite rationally of the opinion that his flaws can be ignored because he's so good for their desired ends.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by standingwave View Post
Introducing a baseball metaphor into a football topic, Trevor Noah really hit one out of the park last night: When Is the Right Time for Black People to Protest? (Youtube)
Aye; that was fantastic! Thanks for linking it!
Old 09-26-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
That was phenomenal!
Old 09-26-2017, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
let him know that his impeachment hearings will be televised and garner a larger audience than the superbowl.
Tell him each Senator will vote by saying "You're fired!".
Old 09-26-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Yes, brilliant, thanks. And racist Trump supporters, please wrap an American flag around a cactus, make sure the pricky things penetrate the fabric, stuff your mouth with a confederate flag, and then see how many of your remaining bodily orifices you can stuff with said cactus.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
That's just about the best thing I've seen from Noah since he took over TDS.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy View Post
It means you just made me have to listen to a Styx song. Damn you.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:56 PM

Trump on delivering aid to Puerto Rico: "This is an island sitting in the middle of an ocean. It’s a big ocean, it’s a very big ocean."
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/sta...09793873256448
Old 09-26-2017, 06:01 PM

If only we had airplanes. Or ships.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Trump on delivering aid to Puerto Rico: "This is an island sitting in the middle of an ocean. It’s a big ocean, it’s a very big ocean."
Before long, "able to listen to Donald Trump speaking and keep a straight face" will start appearing on resumes, and will be acknowledged as a legitimate skill.

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
Old 09-26-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy View Post
In fairness, Trump's time to hand ratio is very large due to his tiny hands.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The biggest ocean! A tremendous ocean!

Seriously, I think he just found out today that Puerto Rico is an island in an ocean, because he repeated his new fun fact a few hours later;

Quote:
“This is a thing called the Atlantic Ocean. This is tough stuff,” President Trump stated in a Rose Garden press conference with Prime Minister of Spain Mariano Rajoy.
Nobody knew oceans could be so complicated!

Last edited by Smapti; 09-26-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:44 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Hey, for him, anything he has to pay attention to for more than a few minutes without seeing his name is tough stuff.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:49 PM

Homeland Security is planning on monitoring the social media accounts of all immigrants beginning October 18, including naturalized citizens.
This has to be unconstitutional, especially if they're only going to monitor naturalized citizens and not native-born citizens.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/adolfoflore...P3B#.mpR2YMdVb

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 09-26-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post

Seriously, I think he just found out today that Puerto Rico is an island in an ocean, because he repeated his new fun fact a few hours later;

Did you know there's seven of 'em? One for each day of the week. Except for leap-weeks.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
“This is a thing called the Atlantic Ocean. This is tough stuff,” President Trump stated in a Rose Garden press conference with Prime Minister of Spain Mariano Rajoy.
Alright Kelly, we know you're tired. We understand how hard it is to watch someone that ..."special" all of the time. But we really need your "A" game in front of the other countries. Maybe a squeaky toy when you see the glimmer of stupid form in his eye? Something?
Old 09-26-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Alright Kelly, we know you're tired. We understand how hard it is to watch someone that ..."special" all of the time. But we really need your "A" game in front of the other countries. Maybe a squeaky toy when you see the glimmer of stupid form in his eye? Something?
He also managed to call the Prime Minister of Spain the "President" at their joint press conference today.

Dotard is a good description.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He also managed to call the Prime Minister of Spain the "President" at their joint press conference today.
To be fair, he probably thinks a "Prime Minister" has something to do with Amazon.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
The Orange One is ignoring the whole Puerto Rican situation, and I think I know why.

They don't elect the president.
Well....

To steal a phrase from the Shit Stain himself, "people are saying" :

It's all about a certain golf course of his in Puerto Rico that (surprise!) went bankrupt.

Puerto Rico is the site of yet another Trump business failure.

When the Trump International Golf Club in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico, filed for bankruptcy in July 2015 — just a month after Donald Trump launched his presidential campaign — Trump's family did everything they could to distance themselves from the failed project. "This has absolutely nothing to do with Trump. This is a separate owner. We purely manage the golf course." - Eric Trump

Besides, there's brown people there, not "real" Murricans.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:22 PM

Acting DEA chief to resign. He hasn't made a comment, but anonymous people are saying that Rosenberg had become “convinced that President Trump had little respect for the law.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b053a9c2f4db7c
Old 09-26-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post

Health care is complicated; Lincoln was a republican; Puerto Rico is an island...every day there’s something new to learn!
Old 09-26-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Health care is complicated; Lincoln was a republican; Puerto Rico is an island...every day there’s something new to learn!
and oceans are big.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Takes me back, it does....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Quayle
Hawaii has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific. It is in the Pacific. It is a part of the United States that is an island that is right here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Well....

To steal a phrase from the Shit Stain himself, "people are saying" :

It's all about a certain golf course of his in Puerto Rico that (surprise!) went bankrupt.

When the Trump International Golf Club in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico, filed for bankruptcy in July 2015 — just a month after Donald Trump launched his presidential campaign — Trump's family did everything they could to distance themselves from the failed project. "This has absolutely nothing to do with Trump. This is a separate owner. We purely manage the golf course." - Eric Trump

Besides, there's brown people there, not "real" Murricans.
Almost forgot... this little scam cost Puerto Rico about 33 MILLION dollars. But I bet the Shit Gibbon had already taken his cut.

Quote:
Homeland Security is planning on monitoring the social media accounts of all immigrants beginning October 18, including naturalized citizens.
This has to be unconstitutional, especially if they're only going to monitor naturalized citizens and not native-born citizens.
Isn't posting something to Twitter the equivalent of making it public?
Err, I mean actually making it public.

I don't think it's illegal to read publicly available information.
Even if they only read the tweets of some people and not all people.

It doesn't seem like reading Twitter is un-Constitutional.
Un-healthy and un-pleasant, and a list of uns, but no un-Constitutional.

Is it?

Law is not always intuitive.
So maybe I am wrong.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotX View Post

Is it?

So maybe I am wrong.
It depends on who is watching, why they are watching, and most importantly, what they are doing with the information. If Jeff Sessions is involved in any way, assume the worst.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Acting DEA chief to resign. He hasn't made a comment, but anonymous people are saying that Rosenberg had become “convinced that President Trump had little respect for the law.”
And it took him how long to twig on that?
Old 09-26-2017, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
And it took him how long to twig on that?
As has been speculated with Kelly and McMaster, maybe he saw his duty as preventing Trump and cronies from running wild.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:48 AM

Following today's Alabama Senate primary, when Bannon-supported Moore defeated Trump-supported Strange, Trump has deleted his tweets supporting Strange.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...her_stran.html
Old 09-27-2017, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
One needs to watch the entire episode. Trust me, the close is worth it...
Old 09-27-2017, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Following today's Alabama Senate primary, when Bannon-supported Moore defeated Trump-supported Strange, Trump has deleted his tweets supporting Strange.
Well, of course he can't let people see him endorsing someone who didn't win. People might start thinking he's a LOSER.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:18 AM

We should invade Puerto Rico. There will be no resistance, we will be treated like liberators. If they ever had weapons of mass destruction, they are buried under the rubble!. Bonus! Nation building opportunities! They are already citizens!
Old 09-27-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
That's just about the best thing I've seen from Noah since he took over TDS.
If the implication of this is that he's been weak overall, I think he's had a lot of great episodes. Doncathlon and Guardians of the Fallacy immediately came to mind.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
I'm not a con-law expert but I could envision it being constitutionally valid within a certain time frame. Naturalization involves providing truthful statements about a person's background and is predicated on the assumption of loyalty to the United States, which is probably the legal premise on which DHS will try to defend itself against legal challenges. I wouldn't have a problem with it if, say, DHS wanted to monitor accounts for a year or two after receiving naturalization just to make sure that someone didn't bullshit their way through the system. But there have to be limits somewhere. I'm just wondering the degree to which the original sources actually did their homework on this article. Just looking at naturalized citizens and giving them extra scrutiny is probably constitutional, but they can't be treated as a second class into perpetuity.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Bannon 1
Trump 0

Notch another one for white christian nationalism.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Personally, I think all of this whipping up of Teh Base™ is intended to vaccinate Two Scoops against charges that will be brought by Mueller's investigation.

As the investigation draws closer to the unprincipled principals, I believe Trump's wish is to inspire a rising up among his cult members, who will presumably grab onto their Second Amendment solutions and defend them (him) to the death when the axe finally falls.

Fear of this potential nouveau civil war among milque-toast Dems will prevent them from pursuing the investigation to its inevitable conclusion. He hopes and (pretends to) prays.
Or he could use his powers as Commander in Chief to distract us with a national emergency (North Korea, perhaps) that would give him a lot more real power. Bannon's desire to elevate the profile of White Christian Nationalism just got an important victory last night, and it puts the pressure on Trump to pay attention to his strongest base of support.

Trump cannot survive through moderation and expanding his appeal to moderates; he can only continue to exist as an extremist. That is what got him power in the first place. He cannot win with adapting to constitutional and institutional norms that are expected of the usual occupier of that high office, that no man is greater than the Constitution, no man is higher than the law. Robert Mueller's investigation exemplifies how these norms operate. Trump is endangered by such norms. He can only survive if he eliminates renders the Constitution and the institutions that support it impotent.

If it were just Trump we had to worry about, there wouldn't be a need to worry. But there are a lot of other extremists in this country who also carry with them a sense of urgency. They sense a window of opportunity through which they can exit the present and go back to the country's racist and socially inequitable past. Extremists seek out other extremists because they need each other. That's where we're at now.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:56 AM

Meanwhile, Trump the protectionist continues to throw knees to the crotch of our "allies" -- Canada and the UK in this case.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

Protectionism is another tool of authoritarians. Protect national businesses and then use that power to make domestic manufacturers more loyal to the Trump administration.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotX View Post

Is it?

So maybe I am wrong.
I can't open the link to the story at work, but the post you were responding to mentioned social media, not Twitter specifically. If they were to monitor someone's Facebook who had the security setting enabled so it wasn't public, but they were still able to monitor it, would that be un-constitutional?

I don't even know if DHS has the ability to circumvent the security on social media accounts and monitor then regardless of the settings (for some reason I have a feeling this would be rather trivial for them to accomplish), I was just curious if this would change your take on the constitutionality of the operation.

Again, I cannot read the story in the link so it very well may have only mentioned Twitter rather than social media in general, and if so then please disregard.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Meanwhile, Trump the protectionist continues to throw knees to the crotch of our "allies" -- Canada and the UK in this case.

Protectionism is another tool of authoritarians. Protect national businesses and then use that power to make domestic manufacturers more loyal to the Trump administration.
Yup, you might say protectionism is the first step to running a protection racket.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Yeah, the proposed tariff (roughly 220%?) on C-series airliners seems rather excessive. The Commerce Department is contending that the real cost of one of the Bombardier airliners would really be more than triple the advertised price, if not for government subsidies? Seems doubtful.

Not to mention that Boeing has no competing aircraft in the CS100's size class 100-110 seats). The follow-on CS300 would encroach into the 737 class, but that's apparently not what's at issue here.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 09-27-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post

I'm not much of a business expert, but wouldn't the people managing the enterprise have primary responsibility for it going bankrupt? Assuming the owners weren't excessively meddling?
Old 09-27-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b053a9c2f4db7c
Now this is apparently being said by someone who's running a federal law enforcement agency, no less. Given the fact that Trump demands loyalty, I'd say this is pretty sobering stuff. I kinda wish he had stayed and fought the good fight, but if Trump fired Comey, he surely knew that he wouldn't last long, either.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Now this is apparently being said by someone who's running a federal law enforcement agency, no less. Given the fact that Trump demands loyalty, I'd say this is pretty sobering stuff. I kinda wish he had stayed and fought the good fight, but if Trump fired Comey, he surely knew that he wouldn't last long, either.
Trump just hadn't fired him yet. He's been the acting director since 2015, so he's really more of an Obama guy than a Trump guy.