Old 12-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Some guy cold called us years ago. There was no story; he sold meat and sea food off his truck. We tried a box. It was good. Filet steaks, salmon, scallops, all top quality at a reasonable price. A story like, "I couldn't deliver" would have warned us off. Now he shows up maybe once a month and we buy stuff from him. He has changed suppliers a could of times when he felt their quality was going down.
The truck doesn't say "Purina" on the side, does it?

Last edited by Tom Tildrum; 12-07-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret Herder View Post
It's certainly not at its best quality after a year in a freezer, but it won't kill anyone. Stuff that stays truly frozen will have halted bacterial growth, but there's no stopping the enzymes in the meat (or any other food) from slowly breaking down over time. The USDA recommends 4-12 months maximum freezing time for the best quality of steaks.
Chilling meat (and other things) doesn't just kill or immobilize bacteria. It also slows down chemical reactions (which is, essentially, how it slows down bacterial decay, when you get down to it). So it doesn't stop enzymes breaking down, but it certainly retards it.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Related: I used to work at a Trader Joe's, and a lot of the night crew would hang out at a bar across the street after getting off work. I wasn't there but one guy walked into the bar with a big freezer bag and was selling halibut and other pricier Trader Joe's fishes, still in it's original packaging, for less than retail prices in the bar.

In front of all my co-workers who were still wearing their Trader Joe's uniforms. It's very grimey but people DO sell stolen meats door to door.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:26 PM

I had one of them stop by here the other day, I declined.

OTOH, my ex regularly bought from the meat truck guy, until the meat truck guys truck was stolen by his assistant. As I recall, the assistant showed up trying to sell meat, but we didn't need any. A week or so later the truck owner showed up asking if we had seen his assistant who had stolen his truck full of meat.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Chances are the meat was stolen, or couldn't be sold under regulations, if it exists. One scam is to offer a freezer full of meat, which they will neatly carry in and pack in your freezer down in the basement, carefully following your direct instructions on how to place everything in the freezer, while one of the their confederates ransacks your home. Don't expect to find real meat in the freezer either. Or they might just be checking to see if you have cash on you before they hit you on the head and take it. The odds of coming out of this situation intact are pretty low.
LOL wouldn't work - my non-chest freezer is in the house, by my front door, actually. [Pretty much the only place it would fit in the house] and they would have to prearrange to drop off the meat, which would mean that my husband would be home, and our roomie would probably be hanging out in the [locked] barn as that is where her studio flat is, and I would be sitting in the living room actually online, and probably chatting on teamspeak, and in addition to the antique gun decorating the wall with the sword and knife collection, pretty much anywhere I am in the house, I am within 5 feet of a loaded gun [I have a stalker and smash and grab home entries are popular in the country] If they have someone try and wander over to the barn, they would run afoul of our small but nasty flock of geese and the dog. You do not want to be lurking around geese unless you are part of the family, they tend to be pretty territorial, and a beak strike can break bones, and a wing buffet can leave bruises. Nasty critters! [I rarely bother answering the door to strangers, and I rarely will allow even requested service people into the house when I am alone. I am pretty antisocial, actually.]
Old 12-07-2011, 02:03 PM

I met a guy in a bar once in college who offered me a box of steaks for $20. There were 6-10 in the box, as I recall. It was about 10 p.m. and he had finished his rounds and was looking to offload the rest of his batch...or so he told me. Something about getting a bonus from the company if he came back steak-less.

The difference in my story, though, is 1) he didn't come to my door, 2) they were cheap as hell, 3) he showed me the steaks beforehand, and 4) he gave me a card and told me to tell all my friends.

I bought them, figuring I was gambling $20. I ate them. I generally enjoyed them. I didn't die or get sick. So...::shrug::

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Now why people want these photos? Your guess is as good as mine. Some people apparently like good pictures of their stuff.[/url]
My grandfather had a professional portrait done of his one-story, three-bedroom home. Why? Because he and my grandmother built the thing with their own four hands.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
our roomie would probably be hanging out in the [locked] barn
Are these your roommates?
Old 12-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Of all the things I can think of to sell door to door, I think meat would never, ever have occurred to me, even once my list was into the thousands of items.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
... in addition to the antique gun decorating the wall with the sword and knife collection, pretty much anywhere I am in the house, I am within 5 feet of a loaded gun...
*makes mental not to never, ever, ever break into aruvqan's house. Ever.

Last edited by OpalCat; 12-07-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessic Sense View Post
Are these your roommates?
LOL other than mrAru we only have 1 roomie. Since she is a farrier by trade, she has quite a selection of hammers and iron bar stock. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to sneak up and scare her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
Of all the things I can think of to sell door to door, I think meat would never, ever have occurred to me, even once my list was into the thousands of items.
ETA:
*makes mental not to never, ever, ever break into aruvqan's house. Ever.
Good choice. Since I am a gimp, I have 'no reasonable expectation of escape or evasion' and will shoot when threatened with physical harm. IMHO, it is much better for mrAru to have to bail me out of the slammer than go to the morgue and ID me.

The only truck we have bought frozen stuff off of is the Schwanns guy, and back when we had American Frozen Food subscription every now and again the route guy would drop by with samples and see if we wanted to buy more of some new product they were trying.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Update

I found a crumpled-up flyer in the back of my mailbox which must have been from them. It's a real company called Butcher's Choice that operates out of Baltimore. The BBB's site show minimal complaints about them as of a year ago and rates them as A+, but there are other various anecdotal complaints about them. In general the complaints claim high prices for low quality accompanied by a high-pressure, fast-talking sales pitch.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=b...%27s+choice+of
Old 12-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust4Life View Post
If meat has been frozen and then thawed out, it should never be refrozen.
I would amend this to, "If meat has been frozen and then thawed out at room temperature, it should never be refrozen." Meat can be safely thawed in the refrigerator and refrozen, but I know that's not the scenario you're talking about.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:49 PM

When my son was in high school and played in the marching band, we had this small sign in our yard that indicated that we had a child in the band.

Anyway, I had a guy come by a couple of times saying he was a band parent also and he could sell me some good meat at a reasonable price.

Despite my inclination to call the police for unwanted solicitation, I declined the offer. However, in the course of walking my dogs, it looked as if he was successful in finding some buyers.

Nonetheless, there may be some things I would buy out of a truck. Meat is not one.

Also, in regards to the aerial photos, I work in an organization that needs updates on a major construction project. We hired a guy with an RC plane equipped with a HD camera. It's a lot cheaper than an airplane or helicopter and the photos are just as good.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
I would amend this to, "If meat has been frozen and then thawed out at room temperature, it should never be refrozen." Meat can be safely thawed in the refrigerator and refrozen, but I know that's not the scenario you're talking about.
It should also be noted that each time meat is frozen, it can lose some quality in terms of texture (due to ice crystals forming in the fibers and cells of the meat), but again that's not a safety issue.