Old 03-16-2014, 01:20 AM

Fred Phelps is dying.

I'm posting this here, because I know that many comments will be...less than kind. Many of you know who Fred Phelps Sr. is. This post is from his son, Nathan Phelps, a Facebook friend of mine, and someone I greatly respect. I saw Nathan speak a couple of years ago, and his obvious pain and contrition for the harm his family has brought to people, especially military people, truly touched me. I also had the opportunity to speak socially with Nathan, and he is a truly kind, peaceful man, who wishes nothing more than to right the wrongs of his family. I know that many will celebrate the death of his father, but I think his post is a good reminder that life is never black and white, and that while others celebrate, there will still be a family that mourns. In the end, Fred Phelps will die and pass into nothingness, as we all do, and it will be up to the people he leaves to make whatever sense they can of his life. My deepest sympathies to Nathan.

"I've learned that my father, Fred Phelps, Sr., pastor of the "God Hates Fags" Westboro Baptist Church, was ex-communicated from the "church" back in August of 2013. He is now on the edge of death at Midland Hospice house in Topeka, Kansas.
I'm not sure how I feel about this. Terribly ironic that his devotion to his god ends this way. Destroyed by the monster he made.
I feel sad for all the hurt he's caused so many. I feel sad for those who will lose the grandfather and father they loved. And I'm bitterly angry that my family is blocking the family members who left from seeing him, and saying their good-byes."
Old 03-16-2014, 01:26 AM
Charter Member

That does suck, but not enough to overshadow the good news.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:28 AM

I'm terribly sorry..

I'm terribly sorry that I did not have him on my SDMB death pool list.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 03-16-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:38 AM
Charter Member

Despite Fred's 'contribution' to this world, I'm glad you posted this Lucretia. It behooves us to remember those left behind, especially family members who have not had the opportunity to reconcile the realities of the person they loved vs the person spouting evil hatred. It must be terribly difficult for Nathan and I do wish him well through this last journey with his father.

No sadness from me that Fred is nearly out of this world, but sadness all the same for those left to pick up the pieces.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:45 AM

Paradoxically, the best thing we can do is not to hate him, but, instead, to show a truer Christian forgiveness than he ever knew how to show.

In death, he will cause no more pain...nor suffer it.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:47 AM

I wish him peace and his family strength at this time.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
I wish him peace and his family strength at this time.
I wish him and his family the peace and strength they gave to those whose funerals they picketed.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
Paradoxically, the best thing we can do is not to hate him, but, instead, to show a truer Christian forgiveness than he ever knew how to show.
So.... those of us who aren't Christian aren't required to forgive, right?

While I have empathy for those who care about him, his family and friends (presuming he has any of the latter) I can not mourn the passing of his toxic hatred.

Quote:
In death, he will cause no more pain...nor suffer it.
I suppose that depends on whether or not the hell he preached about exists, because if it does he is surely going there.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
I'm terribly sorry that I did not have him on my SDMB death pool list.
He's on mine, and may score my first points in four years.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
He's on mine, and may score my first points in four years.
[shakes a feeble scoreless fist at Oakminster]
Old 03-16-2014, 03:45 AM

Death is how nature cures the hate-filled. Nothing of value was lost, beyond the missed opportunity for human flesh to be worth more than the sum of his parts.

With each successive generation that particular brand of bile is slowly seeping deep into the cracks of the earth, and passing into oblivion. When we gain the wisdom to reject that kind of thinking, and we pass it on to the next generation, we improve all of mankind, forever. Wisdom gained is seldom lost.

Every personal victory over ignorance is worth a thousand losses, for that victory echoes throughout history, through each successive generation. Every loss is but the status quo, and every failure ending in death is merely another chance for someone else to achieve something better.

I celebrate every person who learned of his philosophy and rejected it out of hand, and there are far, far more of those on this earth than the opposition.

I take no pleasure in this man's failures, or his death, but all I see in his absence are better and more hopeful opportunities for all of us. I simply cannot mourn any of this.

Warm regards to his family members who care for him despite his views, and especially to those who cared for him as a person but rejected his terrible ideas.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
"I've learned that my father, Fred Phelps, Sr., pastor of the "God Hates Fags" Westboro Baptist Church, was ex-communicated from the "church" back in August of 2013
*needle scratching sound* Wait, what ? When did that happen, why, how, wherefore ? I thought he was the ironfisted guru telling everyone what to do and applying god's own coercion and/or shunning on those who refused ?

ETA :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
That is true. That'll probably piss him right off.

Last edited by Kobal2; 03-16-2014 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
*needle scratching sound* Wait, what ? When did that happen, why, how, wherefore ? I thought he was the ironfisted guru telling everyone what to do and applying god's own coercion and/or shunning on those who refused ?
Well, if he's dying, it must be because God is punishing him for not hating gays hard enough.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:03 AM

I hadn't heard of any of this.

I also wasn't aware that any of his children had renounced the WBC faith -- although I knew that some of his grandkids had.

Me too, I'm curious what that ex-communication was all about.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:17 AM

An excommunicated member of the WBC asks if Fred himself might have been secretly gay.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/03/14...-might-be-gay/

Some other linkies:

Daily Kos: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...sts-Near-Death

Patheos: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...edge-of-death/
Old 03-16-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
An excommunicated member of the WBC asks if Fred himself might have been secretly gay.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/03/14...-might-be-gay/

Some other linkies:

Daily Kos: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...sts-Near-Death

Patheos: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...edge-of-death/
Actually, the more I read the first link, the more it sounds like Phred maybe got raped at Westpoint and his life's subsequent crusade was the coping effort of a broken mind.
Doesn't absolve the hate and plain evil, but it does make the character more tragic than comedic.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
I'm curious what that ex-communication was all about.
He was caught sucking off a fireman.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:46 AM

The ironic thing about this is, that if there really was a God, like the one Fred believed in, that cared about us he would have long ago killed Fred.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Why_Bother View Post
He was caught sucking off a fireman.
Well if it's excommunication he was probably sucking off a network engineer.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:03 AM

Nathan himself isn't sure, and has apparently got more than one story about the excommunication.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:09 AM

I guess it would be a form of justice if people appeared for his funeral with signs that read "God Hates Bigots!"
Old 03-16-2014, 02:12 AM

People die every day. I've got more sympathy for some guy that wasted his life shooting heroin into his veins that this guy.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:13 AM
Charter Member

If he was excommunicated, why does the church cares who sees him?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:24 AM

HOORAY!!! More good news to look forward to!

But wait...if he was kicked out of his own church, does that mean W.B.C. will continue picketing after his death? I was really, really hoping their "mission" would end with the end of his life.

(Now, where's my "God Hates Fred" banner?)
Old 03-16-2014, 02:26 AM
Charter Member

Last time I saw it, Barney Rubble was borrowing it.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Last time I saw it, Barney Rubble was borrowing it.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:20 AM

Well, if God exists, then Fred will soon get a chance to be judged as he has judged others. Not even remotely a position I would wish to be in, given the awfulness that he has ascribed to God.

And really, even if God existed and he was forgiven and taken into heaven? Still a bit of hell to spend that eternity knowing the pain and suffering he had inflicted upon the world. And I mean, really KNOW it. To know the harm he did, to know how wrong he was. For all eternity.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Couple of questions:

How does one get 'excommunicated' from your own, made up, church?

Has Nathan or any other offspring ever, before this moment, publicly spoken out against the fathers hateful ways?
Old 03-16-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Couple of questions:

How does one get 'excommunicated' from your own, made up, church?

Has Nathan or any other offspring ever, before this moment, publicly spoken out against the fathers hateful ways?
No one should be surprised- Fred's daughters have been running the show for a long time, and he'd been pushed into the background ages ago. His daughters had been treating him like a nuisance and an old crank for years.

And yes, Nathan has spoken out publicly against his family many time before. Here's a speech he gave at a "Rally for Reason," with many of his angry relatives present and shouting at him. I myself am a faithful Catholic, but it's hard not to feel for Nathan or to admire him.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/camelsw...elpss-sadness/

Last edited by astorian; 03-16-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes. Nathan has been speaking out for many years, as outlined in this CBC article: Fred Phelps's son wrestles with notorious father's imminent death

Quote:
The younger Phelps left the Westboro Baptist Church, now infamous for picketing funerals for soldiers, children and victims of anti-gay violence, on his 18th birthday. He said he made the decision two years earlier at age 16 and has not spoken to his father personally since.

“In the environment I grew up in, there was a lot of violence, control — a lot of religious dogma imposed on us ... I didn’t think I belonged there anymore. So I made the decision when I was 16 that I was going to leave," Phelps said.

Since departing 37 years ago, Phelps had become an activist and organizer heavily involved in gay rights campaigns. He has spent considerable time with counsellors — sessions that began 10 years after leaving the controversial church — to come to terms with his childhood and family, he said.
elbows, there's also a clip there from a segment on As It Happens, with two of Phred's granddaughters speaking on why they left the WCB.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

No one should be surprised he's been excommunicated from his own made up church?

Did he make up a church where his daughters have the power to 'excommunicate ' him?

How is 'excommunicated' even applicable to a made up church?

Who makes themselves head of their own church and empowers others to unseat them?

Just when you thought they couldn't appear any stupider, they do!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Procedure sounds just the same as all the real churches if you ask me.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:21 AM

Since we are both going to die my only consolation is that Fred Phelps will be dying before me. I'd protest at his funeral...but then I'm not a classless asshole.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaexile View Post
Since we are both going to die my only consolation is that Fred Phelps will be dying before me. I'd protest at his funeral...but then I'm not a classless asshole.
I won't shed a tear if others are more "classless" than I am, though.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
No one should be surprised he's been excommunicated from his own made up church?

Did he make up a church where his daughters have the power to 'excommunicate ' him?

Who makes themselves head of their own church and empowers others to unseat them?

Well, all churches are "made up" at some point by someone.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:

In a very small (it's nothing but family, and has no other members) church, it's completely unsurprising that a nasty, unpleasant old crank could be deposed by younger, more energetic family members.

And to anyone who was paying attention, it's been obvious for years that Fred Phelps wasn't the boss of his family any more.

The only thing that's surprising is that his daughters formally "excommunicated him," when they could/should just have locked the old coot away from the world and pretended he was too sick to attend the latest protest.

Last edited by astorian; 03-16-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:

It seems your understanding of how churches (even "made up" ones, whatever that distinction might mean) are incorporated is misinformed. Just like any other non-profit, they must file Articles of Incorporation, which must include an organizing/operating board. That board must be capable of making executive decisions. So yes - any and all churches are empowered to unseat the director of that church, despite being "made up" or not.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:46 AM

May he be comforted by the knowledge that his funeral will be well attended.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2014/03...ear-death.html

The above link has some interesting commentary on Fred. I rather liked some of it, like the quote from a Rod Dreher, from American Conservative.

Last edited by Baker; 03-16-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:56 AM

Fred Phelps is dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
And yes, Nathan has spoken out publicly against his family many time before. Here's a speech he gave at a "Rally for Reason," with many of his angry relatives present and shouting at him. I myself am a faithful Catholic, but it's hard not to feel for Nathan or to admire him.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/camelsw...elpss-sadness/
IIRC, Nathan's the one who escaped in the middle of the night, the day he turned 18, and had quite a struggle at first.

Oh, and I find I don't feel anything in particular, other than sympathy for Nathan's emotional turmoil. Sounds like the legacy of hate will roll on for a while without that old opportunist to guide them. (He was a civil rights lawyer for years - because it was an untapped market, nothing more.)

Last edited by Ferret Herder; 03-16-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:53 AM
I Am the One Who Bans

"Darn."
Old 03-16-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
"Darn."
"Gosh darn."
Old 03-16-2014, 01:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
"Gosh darn."
"Gosh darn Phred.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
I won't shed a tear if others are more "classless" than I am, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
May he be comforted by the knowledge that his funeral will be well attended.
Inspired by these posts I made this thread - if the funeral wasn't out of your way, would you go and give them a taste of their own medicine or not even spend the time of day on him?
Old 03-18-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kobayashi View Post
Inspired by these posts I made this thread - if the funeral wasn't out of your way, would you go and give them a taste of their own medicine or not even spend the time of day on him?
I'd hire a plane to stream a rainbow banner and circle his funeral. With the caption "GOD HATES FRED PHELPS" on it. I take that back, it'd say MATTHEW 7:1 JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED. On a 60 foot by 25 foot rainbow flag.

Pretty sure I could crowd source that in less than 30secs.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

Last edited by Bouncer; 03-18-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:56 PM

Not a very detailed cite, but it looks like WBC doesn't do funerals. So, discussions about what to do at his funeral may be moot. I do seem to recall them in the past screaming about people "worshiping the dead" w.r.t. funerals.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4980493.html
Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 PM

In an effort to address the good in people in their last days, I remind (or inform for the first time) that in his younger days, Phelps was a defender of civil rights for blacks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Ph...l_rights_cases
Old 03-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

After mulling this thread for a day, I've decided I would picket the funeral if I had the means. My sign would be:
Phred said,
"God hates fags."

God says,
"I forgive everyone, even Phred."

Last edited by VunderBob; 03-16-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VunderBob View Post
God says,
"I forgive everyone, even Phred."
And that's precisely why I don't believe in God, and never will.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim View Post
In an effort to address the good in people in their last days, I remind (or inform for the first time) that in his younger days, Phelps was a defender of civil rights for blacks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Ph...l_rights_cases
I don't think he has good in his last days. If he was evil and then turned good later I could overlook the evil but if you are good and then turn evil I think that evil overrules the good.