Old 07-18-2002, 06:04 PM

Emmy Noms. (Six Feet Under Wins Big)

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,10262,00.html

And a complete list here:

http://www.eonline.com/News/More/emmys2002noms.html

I'm glad to see "Six Feet Under" do so well (in this round), I'm really glad to see Freddy Rodriguez get a best supporting actor nom too. They beefed up his part on "Six Feet" this season, and he does a great job, IMHO. I really also hope "24" wins for best Drama... but I doubt it will happen.

Any thoughts on these noms??
Old 07-18-2002, 06:24 PM

I Don't Get It

Am I the only person in this world that doesn't get the draw of Six Feet Under? I am a big fan of HBO's Original Series, but for the life of me, I don't get this show.

And now it pulls in 23 nominations. Why? Is it because it's seen as politically correct (Same-sex, interracial relationship is a prominent storyline) or is it "cutting edge", or what? There is not one character I am interested in, and I can't make it through a single episode at one sitting.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:56 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

What I like about the show are the characters - I've enjoyed watching them develop, even tho they're a bit extreme. I love the interplay with the departed father. I find myself becoming interested in each of them for themselves. And I love the stories that come with every funeral.

Dunno why this show has hooked me so, but it has. Frankly, the nominations don't affect my opinions. I find industry awards to be silly.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:04 PM

What I don't like about the emmys is how predictable they are. Take the top rated shows and nominate them and the actors. There's really nothing to it. It's just another chance for them all to pat themselves on the back.

The Oscars isn't filled with just the top box office hits for the year.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:25 PM

Didn't like Six Feet won last year?
Old 07-18-2002, 10:44 PM

I don't appreciate that they nominated virtually everyone in the cast. Notice that they did the same thing with West Wing. It essentially turns the acting categories into an extension of the Best Drama category. All the actors who are in shows that clearly aren't the Best Drama get shut out of their one chance at recognition.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:42 PM

Your right. I saw nothing special about the actresses that play Donna and Abby on the West Wing. Stockard Channing is good but nothing notable on The West Wing.

Mark Harmon nominated for special guest star? Brad Pitt?

I like Freddy Rodriguez on Six Feet Under but I don't think his performance was one of the best on TV.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capacitor
Didn't like Six Feet won last year?
I believe it got a fair number of nominations last year, but only Rachel Griffiths won, IIRC.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:50 AM
Charter Member

Let me be the first to say: Buffy wuz robbed.

Did y'all hear they forgot to put OMWF on the ballot for best drama? When they realized their mistake, they sent out a reminder a day or so later.*

*Tale told to me by Mrs. JohnT so she can vouch for it's veracity.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:52 AM
Charter Member

How did Jennifer Garner get nominated? She has exactly two expressions, and she doesn't even rotate them appropriately based on the hideously written scene she's in at the moment.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by porcupine

I believe it got a fair number of nominations last year, but only Rachel Griffiths won, IIRC.
Wasn't that the Golden Globes?

Since "Six Feet Under" premiered last year, I don't think it was eligible for Emmys till this year.

Put me down as one who fell in love with the show too. Michael C. Hall deserves the nomination for Best Actor, as MHO is that he's done an excellent job in his role as David. While I like Peter Krause, I don't think he's Emmy material this year. I also think the nominating committee overlooked a superb performance by Richard Jenkins for the Supporting Actor category.

Rachel Griffiths you can have. I much prefer Lili Taylor as Nate's conflicted and crazy love interest.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:37 AM

Zappo is correct. Six Feet Under won two Golden Globes in 2001; Rachel Griffiths for Best Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture made for Television; and for Best Television Drama. The series has won several other industry awards; here's the HBO link to a list: http://www.hbo.com/sixfeetunder/about.shtml.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:34 AM

6 FEET UNDER hooked me from the very first episode. It is original. There is quite simply nothing else like it on television. It is unpredictable. It takes chances. It is amazingly well written and directed. And it has wonderful actors playing intriguing characters. (Frances Conroy and Lauren Ambrose just about break my heart!) It is one of the few programs on television that I WILL NOT MISS!

I never got involved with THE SOPRANOS. And I've never been interesting in THE WEST WING. While I liked 24 this year, there was a point in the middle of the story where it seemed to be treading water; absolutely nothing was happening and you had no clue where it was going. I think that will work against it.

So, I am very pleased with the fact that 6 FEET UNDER is leading the nomination pack. Here's to leading the statuette pack as well!