Old 09-14-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
That's not breaking the rules, "Ace". Your buddy and compatriot Clothahump cleared the way for that particular construction. I can't directly say "F you" (that's demonstrative, not performative. I'm not actually telling you to do that.). I can say "F off." Enjoy!
Hmm...seems I fallen behind keeping track of these vernacular distinctions with scant difference. In that case then and to rephrase what I said above, keep it the fuck up and you'll be the fucking minority party for a long fucking time.

Having said that, it's good to hear from you jayjay, it's been a while. Just like old times, huh?

Last edited by Starving Artist; 09-14-2017 at 12:28 AM.
Advertisements  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Fuck off, Kirk.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:25 AM

And a fuck-fuck-fuckity-fuck-fuck-off to you, too!

Gee, isn't this fun?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:12 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
And a fuck-fuck-fuckity-fuck-fuck-off to you, too!

Gee, isn't this fun?
Care to comment on this anti-gay event in October that the President, the Vice-President, Cameron and Sorbo are attending...or are you the only subject that holds your attention for more than 17 seconds at a time nowadays?
Old 09-14-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I'll admit there's some truth to this, but the fact is that there is very little impetus among conservatives to strive to create a fascist state, whereas liberals go through life eternally pissed of that, wah, somebody has more than somebody else (or just as bad, in a better class than somebody else) and that government isn't paying for all their needs, and worst of all, that people are permitted to have opposing views, that liberals are constantly agitating for social change that leads to communism. Thus liberals and the specter of communism are a vastly greater threat. This is illustrated by the fact that fascism has a very limited history while communism became a worldwide phenomenon that murdered or starved up to 70 million people and forced hundreds of millions more to live desolate, fearful lives of privation for decades.

there is very little impetus among ,liberals to strive to create a communist state, whereas conservatives go through life eternally pissed of that, wah, somebody who isn't them has something (or just as bad, in the same class as them) and that government is helping people, and worst of all, that people are permitted to have opposing views, that conservatives are constantly agitating for social regression that leads to fascism. Thus conservatives and the specter of fascism are a vastly greater threat. This is illustrated by the fact that there are many examples of communism working without spiraling into mass genocide while fascism has only thrived in conjunction with dictatorship and bigotry.

See I can make straw men just as fast as you can.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 09-14-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:05 PM

No hurricanes in Salt Lake City ... uh oh ...
Old 09-14-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
there is very little impetus among ,liberals to strive to create a communist state, whereas conservatives go through life eternally pissed of that, wah, somebody who isn't them has something (or just as bad, in the same class as them) and that government is helping people, and worst of all, that people are permitted to have opposing views, that conservatives are constantly agitating for social regression that leads to fascism. Thus conservatives and the specter of fascism are a vastly greater threat. This is illustrated by the fact that there are many examples of communism working without spiraling into mass genocide while fascism has only thrived in conjunction with dictatorship and bigotry.
Nah, in the national dialog there is no attempt worthy of the name by conservatives to embrace the principles of and work toward creating a fascist state. On the other hand, liberals agitating constantly for 'income equality', government health care [read death panels, only consisting of an anonymous bureaucrat in a government cubicle somewhere, denying life-saving treatment because of cost and expected lifespan peramiters], repression of anti-left ideas (now becoming violent), etc., etc., etc. And it's coming from liberal college professors every fucking where, Hollywood, news and entertainment magazines, and Democrat politicians, not to mention the politics of division, villainization and hatred that the left has been engaging in and which has kicked into high gear over the last decade or so. The term 'cultural Marxism' hasn't come into being out of thin air. Nothing comparable to all this exists when it comes to the right save possibly right wing radio, which mostly mocks or criticizes the left and serves little function in advancing conservative values, social beliefs, or government policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot
See I can make straw men just as fast as you can.
Yes, but with far less substantive justification.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Nah, in the national dialog there is no attempt worthy of the name by conservatives to embrace the principles of and work toward creating a fascist state. On the other hand, liberals agitating constantly for 'income equality', government health care [read death panels, only consisting of an anonymous bureaucrat in a government cubicle somewhere, denying life-saving treatment because of cost and expected lifespan peramiters], repression of anti-left ideas (now becoming violent), etc., etc., etc. And it's coming from liberal college professors every fucking where, Hollywood, news and entertainment magazines, and Democrat politicians, not to mention the politics of division, villainization and hatred that the left has been engaging in and which has kicked into high gear over the last decade or so. The term 'cultural Marxism' hasn't come into being out of thin air. Nothing comparable to all this exists when it comes to the right save possibly right wing radio, which mostly mocks or criticizes the left and serves little function in advancing conservative values, social beliefs, or government policies.

Yes, but with far less substantive justification.
Oh, cool. Here we go again...

"Nah, in the national dialog there is no attempt worthy of the name by liberals to embrace the principles of and work toward creating a communist state. On the other hand, conservatives agitating constantly for 'trickle-down economics', free-market, capitalistic health care [read death panels, only consisting of an anonymous bureaucrat in an insurance company cubicle somewhere, denying life-saving treatment because of cost and expected lifespan parameters], repression of anti-nationalistic ideas (which are now violent), etc., etc., etc. And it's coming from conservative college professors every fucking where, farcical 'Voting Integrity Commissions", Fox 'news' and entertainment magazines (National Enquirer), and Republic politicians, not to mention the politics of division, villainization and hatred of the left and immigrants that the right has been engaging in and which has kicked into high gear over the last decade or so. The term 'neo-Nazism' hasn't come into being out of thin air. Nothing comparable to all this exists when it comes to the left save possibly MSNBC, which, though it could mostly mock or criticize the right, serves the function of advancing progressive values, social beliefs, and government policies."

I'll admit, yours has more straw.

But, like I said before, if we're going to tell hyperbolic fantasy stories, I prefer ones with dragons. But no Ayn Rand. Some things are just too fanciful to swallow.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:55 PM

Mere drops in the bucket, every one, compared to the constant commie-esque rabble-rousing coming from the left in this country. Fortunately, thanks to the internet, your days of information dominance are largely over and the right has found a way to come together and fight back. You guys have had it your way in the national dialog for so long that you thought the country was mostly behind you, when in reality they were fed up with your shit and now you're a party without power. And all the silly two-can-play-at-this-game bullshit you guys keep posting doesn't change a thing.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Mere drops in the bucket, every one, compared to the constant commie-esque rabble-rousing coming from the left in this country. Fortunately, thanks to the internet, your days of information dominance are largely over and the right has found a way to come together and fight back. You guys have had it your way in the national dialog for so long that you thought the country was mostly behind you, when in reality they were fed up with your shit and now you're a party without power. And all the silly two-can-play-at-this-game bullshit you guys keep posting doesn't change a thing.
Rather than this silly back and forth with ridiculous hyperbole and exaggerations, why not go back to the thoughtful back-and-forth we were having a few pages ago?

The way you describe liberals just strikes me as the same unbelievable ridiculousness I hear from some of my die-hard liberal friends and family describing conservatives. It's almost entirely nonsense. Some small number of liberals are nutty, as are some small number of conservatives. But "commie-esque"? That's ridiculous nonsense for the vast majority of liberals (many of whom serve in the military, own businesses, and much more), and beneath the dignity of reasonable discourse.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
... And it's coming from liberal college professors every fucking where
You really are averse to people who make their living dealing with facts, aren't you? Do you have any personal experience with these liberal professors? Show us on the brain doll where the fancy talking man touched you.

I can't recall any "liberal" professors from my days of acadame. They were some pretty heartless bastards that didn't really talk about national politics or try to brainwash their students. They just mainly repeated lessons they had been giving for years and had their TAs do all the paperwork.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
You really are averse to people who make their living dealing with facts, aren't you? Do you have any personal experience with these liberal professors?
Yeah, I can think of ONE of my professors that I'd call liberal. And that was a theater tech class, so his political views really didn't come out in class. The rest were pretty much all conservatives.

One of my profs was knighted by Margaret Thatcher for his work on "privitisation" of Britain's public works. Another was president of the libertarian Foundation for Economic Education.

And I had William F. Buckley teach one of my classes as a visiting professor. Surprising that he didn't become a flaming liberal after that.

But maybe we should take Starvin's "liberal college professors every fucking where" as seriously as we take his "constant commie-esque rabble-rousing coming from the left in this country". Seriously?

Honestly, anyone who can type that with a straight face is too insecure to be thinking rationally.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Yeah, I can think of ONE of my professors that I'd call liberal. And that was a theater tech class, so his political views really didn't come out in class. The rest were pretty much all conservatives.

One of my profs was knighted by Margaret Thatcher for his work on "privitisation" of Britain's public works...
That, of course, should be "put forth for knighthood by Margaret Thatcher, and then knighted by the Queen."
(Or, as he put it "Attaining My Peerage", which a number of my classmates flew to London to witness)
Awwwwwfully sorry, old bean.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
That, of course, should be "put forth for knighthood by Margaret Thatcher, and then knighted by the Queen."
I remembered Maggie was, shall we say, proactive, but pushing aside the Queen and commandeering her ceremonial duties? A bit too much.

I think Starving Artist may be thinking of UC Berkeley professors back in the 60's hippie era who took advantage of the sexual revolution and got some undergrad strange, like Donald Sutherland in Animal House. Conservatives could target them as corrupters of youth with their commie pinko ideas and not be seen as overtly jealous. I can think of one example of that particular college professor stereotype, one of my English professors, but he was the most hardassed one of the bunch. Too many kids flunked out of his class for him to have a chance of spreading any kind of liberal ideology.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Care to comment on this anti-gay event in October that the President, the Vice-President, Cameron and Sorbo are attending...or are you the only subject that holds your attention for more than 17 seconds at a time nowadays?
Seventeen seconds is par for the course these days, unless we're talking Karen Allen from Animal House.
posted by logicpunk at 10:07 AM on December 20, 2007 [3 favorites]
Old 09-16-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
So Irma would, were she not Irma call’d,
Retain that dear perfection which she owes
Without that title.
Judges score this 10/10/5.