Old 02-01-2019, 04:05 PM

Virginia gov. yearbook page has Klan and blackface pictures

I don't think this is going to end well for him assuming he had control over the material on the page .

https://pilotonline.com/news/governm...d70e09b50.html
Old 02-01-2019, 04:09 PM

1984? That would have been offensive in 1954. Jesus, what's wrong with people?
Old 02-01-2019, 04:13 PM

talk is that he is the guy in blackface. He is a Dem. and the Lt. Governor is also a Dem if he were to quit.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Man, GOP oppo research is for shit. No wonder they have to buy it from Russia!

Anyway, Northam's gotta go, especially if it is him and/or he had editorial control of this page and/or he attended the fucking party.

Fuck it. He should just go.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
1984? That would have been offensive in 1954. Jesus, what's wrong with people?
I know, right? Who wears plaid pants like that?
Old 02-01-2019, 04:34 PM

If he's either person or if he chose the picture he should resign.

Crazy.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:37 PM

med school says the pictures are legit and the publication was student produced.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b08710475367de
Old 02-01-2019, 04:42 PM

Well, well, well...

So much dumb stuff preserved for eternity.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:45 PM

have to wonder if this turned up in a simple google search , if so that does show really bad research before the election by the GOP. Or maybe they just started contacting members of his class to see if anyone had this kind of document.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
have to wonder if this turned up in a simple google search , if so that does show really bad research before the election by the GOP. Or maybe they just started contacting members of his class to see if anyone had this kind of document.
Well, it probably wouldn't have struck the GOP as offensive.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:19 PM
BANNED

The Good Doctor is probably feeling a mite sick about right now.

Hopefully they can "keep him comfortable" while his political career is lovingly, humanely terminated...

Last edited by Royal Nonesutch; 02-01-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It doesn't make the Dems research look very good either.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
If he's either person or if he chose the picture he should resign.
This was 35 years ago when he was young and in school. I'm not sure it tells us much about the man he is today (but the way he responds to it will)—and that's what I think should determine whether or not he should resign.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:31 PM

State Senate Minority Leader Richard L. Saslaw is defending him. To paraphrase, "Hey, it's not nice to look at people's pasts. Sure wouldn't want anyone paying attention to whatever I did as a young adult!"
Old 02-01-2019, 05:32 PM

That guy is having a BAD week.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I don't think this is going to end well for him assuming he had control over the material on the page .

https://pilotonline.com/news/governm...d70e09b50.html
Well ho-lee fucking shit. That was my first thought. Second? "The fucking school agreed to put that in the yearbook"??
Anyway, fuck that guy. Sorry he's a Democrat in Redville, but fuck him.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
This was 35 years ago when he was young and in school. I'm not sure it tells us much about the man he is today (but the way he responds to it will)—and that's what I think should determine whether or not he should resign.
Maybe. I'll try to keep an open mind. But I was in school 35 years ago and would never in a million years have 1) dressed like that and 2) thought it so benign that I would allow a photo like that to be put in a yearbook.

People in the 1980s really did have a clue about racism and shit. Or should have.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:56 PM

My first reaction was "He was so young and it was so long ago."

My second reaction was "But Kavanaugh..."

He should probably resign, and I say this as a hyperpartisan Democrat. While also acknowledging that there would be no possibility of that happening if he were Republican.

Last edited by jayjay; 02-01-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:03 PM

every Dr. in the yearbook will be contacted by the media if they can be located. They will probably have reporters at their offices 1st thing Monday
Old 02-01-2019, 06:04 PM

He admitted that he's one of the people in the photo.

Get out please. Jesus Christ.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.a16387890d80
Old 02-01-2019, 06:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
He admitted that he's one of the people in the photo.
Well, with personal integrity like that, it's clear that the "White House" is a place where he would feel very comfortable indeed...
Old 02-01-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Well ho-lee fucking shit. That was my first thought. Second? "The fucking school agreed to put that in the yearbook"??
Anyway, fuck that guy. Sorry he's a Democrat in Redville, but fuck him.
Agreed that he should resign, but Virginia is no longer Redville, and the governorship should be safely blue assuming the Democrats run a decent candidate in the next election.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:17 PM

Not to mention that the Lt. Gov. is also a Democrat, so if he does resign as he should the gov will still be Dem.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Well, well, well...

So much dumb stuff preserved for eternity.
And that's before iPhones!

Last edited by Northern Piper; 02-01-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Maybe. I'll try to keep an open mind. But I was in school 35 years ago and would never in a million years have 1) dressed like that and 2) thought it so benign that I would allow a photo like that to be put in a yearbook.

People in the 1980s really did have a clue about racism and shit. Or should have.
But that's not my point. What you're saying isn't relevant to what I said. It wasn't about the excusability or okayness of what he did—it was about who he is today.

Condemning someone for being racist (or racially insensitive or whatever) is one thing. Condemning someone for having been racist decades ago, if they've grown up and wised up since then, is something else.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:26 PM

That's true, and if he'd like to prove it he can quit his high paying pension including government job, and volunteer his services in impoverished areas. That's how he demonstrates what he believes rather than pay lip service to what he wants you to believe he believes.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Condemning someone for being racist (or racially insensitive or whatever) is one thing. Condemning someone for having been racist decades ago, if they've grown up and wised up since then, is something else.
I agree. What kind of public servant has he been? Judge him by that. Do we believe in rehabilitation or do we just pay lip service to the idea? Do we believe that people can change or not?

-God
Old 02-01-2019, 06:32 PM

Is it a great opportunity for the Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax? Virginia governors cannot serve successive terms. Should Northam resign and Fairfax take over, would he be eligible to run in 2021? If so, that would be advantageous.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Not to mention that the Lt. Gov. is also a Democrat, so if he does resign as he should the gov will still be Dem.
Actually, Lt. Gov Justin Fairfax does seem to be a pretty decent guy. And I bet there won't be any pictures of him dressed up in Klan gear in his yearbook or anywhere else.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:35 PM

I'm a democrat who wants democrats to win as much power as possible, but Northam is fvcked. There's no way he can recover. If this had been discovered during the campaign and if voters had voted for him in spite of it, that would have been one thing. But there's no way we can support Northam now. The Commonwealth can do better.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
My first reaction was "He was so young and it was so long ago."

My second reaction was "But Kavanaugh..."

He should probably resign, and I say this as a hyperpartisan Democrat. While also acknowledging that there would be no possibility of that happening if he were Republican.
Since I'm not a member of either major political party, I'm not obligated to take a partisan stance. I don't care what was in Brett Kavanaugh's high school yearbook. I don't care what was in Ralph Northam's med school yearbook. Why should I care?

I know plenty of people who said or did stupid or offensive things while in high school, college, or grad school, and then grew up and became model citizens. I don't see any advantage to anyone in creating a culture where the dumbest thing that a person said in their youth circles back and harms them 30 years later. Who benefits from that?

Last edited by ITR champion; 02-01-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
But that's not my point. What you're saying isn't relevant to what I said. It wasn't about the excusability or okayness of what he did—it was about who he is today.

As I said, I'd keep an open mind. Are there really people who were that clueless as young adults who have now seen the light? I'm trying to imagine what he could say to convince me he realizes how awful that was and how he's changed.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:51 PM

My first reaction is that plucking these photos from time and place, 40 years ago, and parading them around as if that's the same person he is today is very distasteful. I think the whole practice is unseemly. However, 1984 wasn't particularly a time when it wouldn't have been outrageous then, either.

Hard to make a call on this. One thing I do know is, if this had been even a low-level staffer in the current administration, there would certainly be much, much less reasonable discussion about this than we have now.

Last edited by Dacien; 02-01-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

If he were 16, I could understand. Teenagers are super dumb and they don't question the norms around them. But Medical School? That's not being a dumb kid. Jesus.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

What's really necessary here is that the VA Democratic Party shouldn't wait to see whether Northam resigns on his own, before getting together a delegation to tell him he needs to do so at his earliest convenience.

It's time to step up and deal with it in a way that unarguably puts it behind us. Or, to put it cynically, try to figure out how to flip the VA Senate and House of Delegates this fall (yeah, 2019 is election year in Virginia; it's always an election year in Virginia) with only lukewarm turnout by people of color.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:03 PM

He's my gov. I like what he's been doing, especially with regards to the Chesapeake Bay (not that that's my bread and butter or anything ).

That said, this is not good at all. If he had browned up his face to look like, say, Eddie Murphy, I wouldn't give a good gotdamn. But this isn't innocent cosplay. That picture shows a couple of edgelords trying to get laughs off of racism and terrorism, from an audience that was overwhelmingly privileged enough to never have to worry about those things. And now one of those edgelords has been rewarded with the governorship.

I don't want him to resign, but I know why others are calling for it. The racial climate of the country is not great right now. If we have another Charlottesville this year, it's not going to be cute when the governor calls for us all to get along and those who don't want that redirect everyone's attention to that yearbook picture. The Dems also need a clean house to lie in stark contrast with the GOP's dirty one. As long as there are dust bunnies under the bed, the GOP can play the "both sides" card.

Northam has done a great job in the little time he's had. He can take pride in this if he does step down.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

"Coonman"? Jesus H. on a unicycle.

(And how did I not know there was a town in VA called "Onancock"? )

VA NAACP is calling for his resignation.

Resign, dude. It's over.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:46 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
"Coonman"? Jesus H. on a unicycle.

(And how did I not know there was a town in VA called "Onancock"? )

VA NAACP is calling for his resignation.

Resign, dude. It's over.
Okay, what does "DYKES" mean in this context? Anyone know?
Old 02-01-2019, 07:52 PM

I don't understand how none of this came up when he was running.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I agree. What kind of public servant has he been? Judge him by that. Do we believe in rehabilitation or do we just pay lip service to the idea? Do we believe that people can change or not?
Quote:
As I said, I'd keep an open mind. Are there really people who were that clueless as young adults who have now seen the light? I'm trying to imagine what he could say to convince me he realizes how awful that was and how he's changed.
If this was just an isolated (if utterly clueless) mistake, he can be rehabilitated. His life isn't over, he isn't going to prison.

But I don't see how he can be rehabilitated as governor. The job is not all about him. It's about the people he represents - and they surely have a right to transparent certainty about anyone in such a position.

It feels pretty pathetic to be talking about ethical standards for those in public office given who we have in the White House. But perhaps that just makes it all the more important for Dems to hold the line.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Gillespie is probably already on the phone to his oppo research firm, demanding his money back.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Josh Lyman would have been all over it.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:58 PM

I voted for him and like the job he's done so far, but he should step down.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:02 PM

I just don't think I can jump on board with asking him to step down over an almost 40-year-old photo of him in blackface/in a KKK hood in what is clearly a jocular display. I say this as a staunch conservative. If he had been pictured at a KKK rally, or had been wearing blackface at some kind of political rally, there's a stronger argument there, but this is a yearbook photo.

Again, I say this as a pretty strong conservative. If the new standard is to judge our elected officials on tasteless photos from decades upon decades ago in context that clearly doesn't represent true evil, we're all in for a rough time. We need to be reasonable about this.

Last edited by Dacien; 02-01-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Okay, what does "DYKES" mean in this context? Anyone know?
Here ya go.

What the hell is a coonman?
Old 02-01-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
I just don't think I can jump on board with asking him to step down over an almost 40-year-old photo of him in blackface/in a KKK hood in what is clearly a jocular display. I say this as a staunch conservative. If he had been pictured at a KKK rally, or had been wearing blackface at some kind of political rally, there's a stronger argument there, but this is a yearbook photo.

Again, I say this as a pretty strong conservative. If the new standard is to judge our elected officials on tasteless photos from decades upon decades ago, we're all in for a rough time. We need to be reasonable about this.
Maybe in a vacuum, but in today's America? With a white supremacist tolerator and enabler in the WH, and a deadly white supremacist attack just about a year ago in VA? Virginia needs a governor with the moral authority to oppose white supremacism as effectively as possible.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 02-01-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
What the hell is a coonman?
It's presumably a nickname he acquired as a direct result of that outfit.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I voted for him and like the job he's done so far, but he should step down.
Yes, and it's because he withheld this information during the campaign.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Maybe in a vacuum, but in today's America? With a white supremacist tolerator and enabler in the WH, and a deadly white supremacist attack just about a year ago in VA? Virginia needs a governor with the moral authority to oppose white supremacism as effectively as possible.
Agreed.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:32 PM

This whole thing is just ghoulish the more I think about it. With future elected officials having grown up saturated in social media, we're in for a heck of ride.

Last edited by Dacien; 02-01-2019 at 08:33 PM.