Old 09-16-2019, 09:29 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Plus, it seems like people in general are cooler and more friendly/helpful than most MMOs. Probably because people playing CoH are doing it because they love it and not because its the hit new thing being advertised on web sites that their friends are playing.
Agreed. I was doing Posi last night when my son showed up because he had just remembered that he needed to print off an assignment for his history class. The team ws cool with me being AFK for the ten minutes to help him set up. He kept apologizing due to his experiences with ESO and WOW. I told him COH was different. The players are just cooler.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

I have a character now whom I don't play in anything but pickup teams. He's a Defender, and I anticipated how hard it would be to solo anything with him, so he just hangs out in LFG and joins whatever's level-appropriate. So far, I've done three DFBs and most of a Posi 1 (it glitched near the end, and we never got credit for beating the ambush) with him, which has already propelled him to (IIRC) 20.

Side note, people in pickup games really seem to appreciate the presence of a forcefield defender.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Side note, people in pickup games really seem to appreciate the presence of a forcefield defender.
I would, youd be my bestie. Especially if I was on my fire/fire Blaster. Hes so stinking fragile.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:32 AM

Shadow Stranger is very popular for that reason. Everybody loves bubbles!
-Official Doper Brat #007- When life gives you harlequins, make a harlequinade.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera / I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina. / I defend the little kids/ and I level downtown Tokyo/ in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:36 PM

I recently forced myself to drag my baby Invulnerability/Super Strength Tanker up to level 22 (at which point one can slot SOs or equivalent and finally start to be effective). Built for durability, with only 2 weakish attacks before 20 (Jab and Haymaker, both without the benefit of Rage) it was an exercise in patience and prestige power abuse.

But zowie, as soon as I slapped lvl 25 common IOs in my powers, the world changed. I invited random people into mission teams and gathered impressively large crowds around me for them to melt. I got lots of compliments and we motored through missions like nobody's business. I'd forgotten how much fun it could be to be the unshakable pillar in a sea of enemies.

Looks like possible Tanker changes are contemplated on Homecoming, so it might be a good time to level a tanker.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
Looks like possible Tanker changes are contemplated on Homecoming, so it might be a good time to level a tanker.
My main at 50 is my tanker. Let it be known I am very pleased. Especially this change:
Quote:
Tanker base endurance has been increased to 120, to reflect the fact that they kill slower, but last longer in combat.
Holy moly, I will be unstoppable now.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:49 AM

I've been enjoying the Incarnate arcs in Dark Astoria. I don't think the whole incarnate system was in place last time I played this game.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:58 PM

So, the Homecoming folks have just reinstated the policy of squishing ip-infringing costumes and names. As a precaution, I have renamed Shadow Stranger to Shadow Samaritan, just to get that extra inch away from corporate-owned property..
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera / I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina. / I defend the little kids/ and I level downtown Tokyo/ in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

So much for my idea of making a Frank Oz character, with both Yoda and Grover costumes.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:26 AM

Hmmm. Should I be worried about my alt named Josie Wales? Her bio makes explicit reference to her "Great x 4 Grandfather" Josey Wales, she uses his line about "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms" as her catchphrase, and claims that her pistols once belonged to him (but are now modified, of course)....
Old 09-25-2019, 02:10 PM

I sure am glad I only do original characters.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:28 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

I ran Posi last night with Tiff, my new Beastie Mastermind. That is a fun power set. Also, I really like the revamped task force. I still shutter thinking how four hours used to be considered a fast run time.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

And last night I ran a Synapse, where we had three Defenders and a Mastermind (forcefield, nature, kinetics, forcefield). We kept making jokes about "There, I think I saw the tank's health bar twitch slightly!".

We probably could have used more DPS, though: We were running with 6, and only one blaster.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:22 AM

Probably not.

In other news, Hellfury hit Level 50 and has unlocked her Alpha - I need to get to work on incarnate content for the first time.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:30 AM

Oh, also! If anyone needs rapid leveling, Hellfury is soloing Fire Farms at +2/x8; I was getting more than a level per run with XP doubling turned on, till I hit 50.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:59 AM

Being up to 66 alts now, I've started running my lowbie toons through an AE XP farm to quickly get them to level 12. Mainly to get them into DOs and skip past Atlas and Kings Row, two zones with very limited content. Before I do that, I do Matthew Habashy's first mini-arc, which gets me 3 Merits, which I convert to 9 Enhancement Converters to turn around and sell to get a starting supply of Inf. Then, by the time I hit level 12, and have decked the toon out in DOs, I have enough AE tickets left to purchase 1-3 pieces of rare salvage to sell for another chunk of change.

It occurs to me to ask, since I can't remember - did KR have any actual story arcs at all before new Skulls/Superadyne arcs were added in Homecoming? I've tried skipping those arcs and talking to other contacts instead, but they don't seem to lead to anything more than introductions to new contacts in Steel and Skyway.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
It occurs to me to ask, since I can't remember - did KR have any actual story arcs at all before new Skulls/Superadyne arcs were added in Homecoming?
Used to be that your very first contact in KR sent you to The Hollows.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

The Skulls/Superadine arc was only for Homecoming? Weird-- I had figured that it was kind of one of the game's iconic arcs.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Used to be that your very first contact in KR sent you to The Hollows.
LOL - that certainly explains why, after running my first few alts through Atlas Park, I realized I hadn't gotten a single referral to The Hollows. I assume that KR contact introduced you to Officer Wincott?

Quote:
The Skulls/Superadine arc was only for Homecoming? Weird-- I had figured that it was kind of one of the game's iconic arcs.
Apparently it was what the devs were working on when the game was shut down (the shutdown surprised them as much as it surprised us), and was meant to be released with the next "issue". I'm pretty sure they weren't finished with it - it's pretty clear that there was supposed to be some sort of followup, because that final flashback scene with Deadlok and Back Alley Brawler was a really weird way to end the story.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:28 PM

Deadlok side note - at the same time I first played through that flashback and met Deadlok for the first time, I happened to be reading Charles Dickens' novel, "Bleak House", which has among its characters Sir Leicester Dedlock and Lady Honoria Dedlock.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I assume that KR contact introduced you to Officer Wincott?
Probably. It's been a long time.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:26 AM

Is Frostfire in KR, or does it come out of Steel/Skyway?

I've been doing DFB runs to start characters, when trying to jump on Posi 1 and 2. That's a good way to get to the upper teens with some merits.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandidGamera View Post
Is Frostfire in KR, or does it come out of Steel/Skyway?
He's part of The Hollows arc.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

My electricity/cold blaster just hit 35, and I'm having a hard time deciding what epic pool to take. She's already my most survivable character (less debt than either my scrapper or my controller, even though they're both lower level than her), and obviously already does good damage. I could use another AoE damage, but it looks like they all have that. So far, I've ruled out Munitions as out of character, but Force looks like it would be the best for defense, but Electricity best for offense, with Cold somewhere in between. Or I could go to the darkside, if the cookies are good enough. Suggestions?
Old 10-02-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
He's part of The Hollows arc.
Weird, I got Frostfire on a couple of characters without ever being sent to the Hollows.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
My electricity/cold blaster just hit 35, and I'm having a hard time deciding what epic pool to take. She's already my most survivable character (less debt than either my scrapper or my controller, even though they're both lower level than her), and obviously already does good damage. I could use another AoE damage, but it looks like they all have that. So far, I've ruled out Munitions as out of character, but Force looks like it would be the best for defense, but Electricity best for offense, with Cold somewhere in between. Or I could go to the darkside, if the cookies are good enough. Suggestions?
It's probably worth doing the villain patron arc, just so you have those extra options. That said, I tend to use Epic pools to fill in weaknesses.. so whatever helps with your blaster's pain points. Defense, maybe?
Old 10-02-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Weird, I got Frostfire on a couple of characters without ever being sent to the Hollows.
I guess he expanded his territory to appear at random elsewhere.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:14 PM

Sooo...these new Halloween events? I've heard there is one similar to the Summer Blockbuster/DiB/DfB events, called something like House of Horror. Anyone done it? Wondering about the rewards...

Got caught up in a zombie invasion. Meh. I don't really care for these zone-wide events that interfere with regular play.

Did some trick-or-treating on a 21 Mastermind, and mostly got my ass kicked. Somebody showed me how to put my bots in Bodyguard Mode, and that helped a little. Thinking I might try that again with my Brute or my Tank.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
It's probably worth doing the villain patron arc, just so you have those extra options.
A sound idea. I've never done anything Redside past 34, and was only dabbling when I did. I don't know how to do any of the patron arcs, like where the contacts are for example. Been looking around online but so far I'm not confident I'd be able to figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
I don't really care for these zone-wide events that interfere with regular play.
Concur.

Quote:
Did some trick-or-treating on a 21 Mastermind, and mostly got my ass kicked. Somebody showed me how to put my bots in Bodyguard Mode, and that helped a little. Thinking I might try that again with my Brute or my Tank.
One of the builds people tend to mention for trick-or-treating is a Blaster with Trip Mines. Mine the doorway a few times before you knock.

Last edited by Sailboat; 10-02-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Frostfire is the focus/final (elite) boss of a Hollows arc, but he appears in certain missions outside the Hollows because he got a bit of character development in later issues.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
Frostfire is the focus/final (elite) boss of a Hollows arc, but he appears in certain missions outside the Hollows because he got a bit of character development in later issues.
Specifically, he shows up in certain alignment missions (from tips).
Old 10-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

The non-Hollows mission I've seen him on is a Hero/Vig mission called "Cold Drinks and Hot Tunes", where he's throwing a party trying to network with the Freaks, and you can either (Hero) arrest him, or (Vigilante) let him free, but ruin his party, so he'll lose face. Realistically, the latter is probably more effective, given how often he escapes from the Zig, and it's one of the few Vig choices where you aren't told of dire consequences of your decision.

Quote:
Quoth Candid Gamera:

It's probably worth doing the villain patron arc, just so you have those extra options. That said, I tend to use Epic pools to fill in weaknesses.. so whatever helps with your blaster's pain points. Defense, maybe?
That's just it: She doesn't seem to have any pain points, at least, not yet: She stays alive better than any of my other characters, and she melts opponents. I expect that, in high-level play, she eventually will, but I don't know what those will be.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
The non-Hollows mission I've seen him on is a Hero/Vig mission called "Cold Drinks and Hot Tunes", where he's throwing a party trying to network with the Freaks, and you can either (Hero) arrest him, or (Vigilante) let him free, but ruin his party, so he'll lose face. Realistically, the latter is probably more effective, given how often he escapes from the Zig, and it's one of the few Vig choices where you aren't told of dire consequences of your decision.

That's just it: She doesn't seem to have any pain points, at least, not yet: She stays alive better than any of my other characters, and she melts opponents. I expect that, in high-level play, she eventually will, but I don't know what those will be.
Can always respec later.

No, maybe I am confusing Frostfire with Bonefire, the Hellions/Skulls war arc..
Old 10-03-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Sooo...these new Halloween events? I've heard there is one similar to the Summer Blockbuster/DiB/DfB events, called something like House of Horror. Anyone done it? Wondering about the rewards...
Okay, so there are a couple of things.

There's Trick or Treating, there's the Jack in Irons and Eochai spawns, there's the Halloween 'Tip' mission, there's the Zombie invasion, and there's a Trial.

The Zombie invasion has happened outside of Halloween, as I recall, but there are badges for beating up various zombies.

Trick of Treating lets you get special salvage you can redeem for stuff - most importantly IMO is an extra costume slot that can be unlocked no other way. You can also get badges for defeating ToT enemies, and badges for collecting the temporary costume powers that sometimes drop as treats.

The Jack and Eochai Halloween versions each have a badge and give reward merits; they also usually spawn with Unseelie spirits which have a defeat badge as well.

The Trial - Dr So and So's House of Horrors - has a few badges, and is available through the LFG menu.

The Tip mission has, like, 6 badges, based on whether you are hero or villain, and which option you choose when disposing of the Malleus Mundi. You can only get the tip as a Treat when ToTing, and then only while wearing one of the temporary costume powers.

Oh, and the Banners. Damn, I forgot about those. When you see a global message about Supernatural Activity in (zone) that means four monster banners have arisen; if their guardians are put down, the Banners can be attacked and destroyed (badge for each of the four) and if all four go down in time a GM spawns (badge for the GM, too.)

Whew.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:51 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

What is a DFB? I see calls for them in the LfG channel, but I don't know what they are.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
What is a DFB? I see calls for them in the LfG channel, but I don't know what they are.
It's a trial for low level characters. DFB stands for "Death from Below". Lots of experience and some very low level SO enhancements drop. I think there are three missions, with an opportunity to train between each mission. Great way to blow through the early levels.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
Death From Below. It’s like the CoH version of a dungeon and at least starts out in the sewers, hence the name. You fight a bunch of weak enemies, then a boss, then more enemies, then a boss, and so on moving through an area with a story around it. (Like dungeons in other MMOs.)

It’s pretty fun to me at least. Great rewards too.

Last edited by Atamasama; 10-03-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Also known as "Dungeon For Beginners".
Old 10-03-2019, 05:39 PM

I'm not sure who plays Monopole, but I wanted to let you know that your comment in SG chat about cooking up some marinara for the spaghetti code in your keybinds inspired me to create my 67th alt, "Major Marinara":

Major Enrico Ravioli was an officer in the Italian army. In his spare time he practiced the science of cooking, and after retiring from the army he dedicated himself to perfecting his marinara recipe. He was ultimately so successful that his sauce attained near-sentience and formed a rudimentary mental bond with Maj. Ravioli. Enrico soon discovered that he could telepathically control his sauce, and his military background made him realize his sauce could be weaponized.

Now he works to rehabilitate criminals by exposing them to the joy of cooking!

He's a Water Blast/Fiery Aura sentinel, with the water effect colored a deep red, as close as I could get to the color of marinara sauce. And his fiery aura is blue, because he's cooking with gas.

Last edited by Mister Rik; 10-03-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure who plays Monopole, but I wanted to let you know that your comment in SG chat about cooking up some marinara for the spaghetti code in your keybinds inspired me to create my 67th alt, "Major Marinara":

Major Enrico Ravioli was an officer in the Italian army. In his spare time he practiced the science of cooking, and after retiring from the army he dedicated himself to perfecting his marinara recipe. He was ultimately so successful that his sauce attained near-sentience and formed a rudimentary mental bond with Maj. Ravioli. Enrico soon discovered that he could telepathically control his sauce, and his military background made him realize his sauce could be weaponized.

Now he works to rehabilitate criminals by exposing them to the joy of cooking!

He's a Water Blast/Fiery Aura sentinel, with the water effect colored a deep red, as close as I could get to the color of marinara sauce. And his fiery aura is blue, because he's cooking with gas.
Haha, awesome sauce.

Is he a Pastafarian?
Old 10-03-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Haha, awesome sauce.

Is he a Pastafarian?
No, he's Raguan Catholic

He's actually my second cooking-based character. My first was a villain, a chef who scoffs at health regulations and cooks everything in a microwave (Radiation/Poison blaster). His name is "Recipe for Disaster".
Old 10-03-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

That's hilarious; glad I could inspire you like that.

Oh, and I've found an advanced guide to binds, that goes into much more detail than the one on the wiki. There are some odd behaviors there, that I just might be able to exploit to do some very useful things.

Also, Monopole has also reached 35, but his epic decision was much easier, because I know that he needs to improve his own survivability. Being the only one on the team without bubbles means being the first to die.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:02 AM

Anyone want to get together and do some Halloween Tip missions, or Dr. Kahn trials?
Old 10-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

I'm always up for teaming with Dopers, if you see me on.

Yesterday, I did my first Summer Blockbuster run. After about an hour, I had an enhancement that sold for 15 million Inf, and it wasn't even the most sought-after enhancement in that set. And an enhancement from that set is a guaranteed reward. Why isn't everyone doing this?
Old 10-09-2019, 08:11 AM

I dig the Summer Blockbuster, and we had a good run last night. I have several characters who want Overwhelming Force enhancements to keep, in fact.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:12 AM

I'll do a Summer Blockbuster any time I see one being advertised in the LFG channel, but I don't see them all that often. The composition of your team for that is important. You have to have either tons of damage or someone that can debuff regen, or you won't get past the first AV in the casino part. I did one on my tank, and we just could not do enough damage between the four of us to take her down....
Old 10-09-2019, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Hm, I don't remember what we had on my first one, but I was on a blaster. And my second (the one with CandidGamera), we had two brutes and a scrapper. And even at that, the casino AVs still took about as long as a giant monster.

(aside: One of the brutes was "Pounding Father", with a Revolutionary War costume. I thought that was a bit of a clever theme)
Old 10-10-2019, 08:06 AM

Yeah, Hellfury has had pretty great luck in the Summer Blockbuster runs. I've done them with Shadow Samaritan as well, though.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:46 AM

Man I wish I could get the 'show signature' box to default to unchecked.

Anyways! Hellfury is able to take on Fire Farms at +4/x8 with Bosses enabled, so I will be grinding out influence and veteran levels from time to time - happy to take any CECIL folks along for the ride.

Also looking to do Dr. Kahn's House of Horrors on Hellfury and Shadow, to pick up the three available badges there.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

If you switch to the Straight Dope 3.7.3 theme, instead of Sultantheme, then the signature box will, indeed, be unchecked by default. As well as fixing a bunch of other bugs. It's in a dropdown option in the blue bar on the bottom of the page.