The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 03-22-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
From Bayard's link:It's on his back! How often do any of us see our backs? How can something be a daily reminder on his back?
Shouldn't it rather be a reminder that "when you get knocked down, when things don`t go your way, when you`re defeated, you slink away from public light and quietly die off, then someone pisses on your grave" ?
Advertisements  
Old 03-22-2017, 04:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hard to believe that Tricky Dick went and got himself planted somewhere everyone could just haul off and piss on him. Or maybe Pat arranged it because she always hated the fucker.

In any case, I'm shocked there's any grass on that plot at all.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Hard to believe that Tricky Dick went and got himself planted somewhere everyone could just haul off and piss on him. Or maybe Pat arranged it because she always hated the fucker.
Pat pre-deceased him, so I don't think it was her decision. They are both buried at the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda, CA. It's been a while since I've been there, but yeah, the grave is pretty accessible. But there's usually a few docents or security guards around, so I don't think many people would be brave enough to take a piss. It's also a very republican city.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
Well, and Nixon resigned. That seems like he got knocked down and stayed the fuck down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
From Bayard's link:It's on his back! How often do any of us see our backs? How can something be a daily reminder on his back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
Old news that's resurfaced recently: Whack job Trump advisor Roger Stone has a tattoo of Nixon on his back. I guess that was easier than always retaping the "kick me" sign.

http://www.snopes.com/roger-stone-nixon-tattoo/

Stone is a loony, but props to him for being in such good shape at his age. Good triceps.
Great...you all (including Stone) now have embedded "Tubthumping" in my head.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:38 PM

Former Colorado Republican Party head, who claimed that only Democrats commit voter fraud, charged with voter fraud.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...th-voter-fraud
Old 03-22-2017, 11:42 PM

SOMEbody with access to Elaine Chao's (Mrs. Mitch McConnell, Trump's Transportation Secretary) Twitter account, in response to Representative Maxine Waters's call for impeachment, tweeted “SUE HIS VERY SOUL MAXINE!!!” from Chao's account.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ction=politics

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 03-22-2017 at 11:45 PM..
Old 03-23-2017, 05:00 AM

Other potential tattoos to reflect resilience after hardship: Gloria Gaynor, the band Chumbawamba, Princess Poppy from Trolls.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:36 AM

Oklahoma Republican Says God Can Use Rape And Incest To ‘Bring Beauty From Ashes’

“The Lord uses all circumstances.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...0b22b0d19cb53?

Quote:
A Republican lawmaker in Oklahoma defending an anti-abortion bill claimed that rape and incest could be part of God’s will.

The bill by state Rep. George Faught would ban abortion due to genetic abnormalities or Down syndrome, with no exceptions for cases of rape and incest.

Democrats challenged him on that in a debate on the floor of the state’s House of Representatives.

“Is rape the will of God?” asked Rep. Cory Williams.

“If you read the Bible, there’s actually a couple circumstances where that happened and the Lord uses all circumstances,” Faught replied. “I mean, you can go down that path, but it’s a reality, unfortunately.”

“Is incest the will of God?” Williams asked.

“Same answer,” Faught replied. “Doesn’t deal with this bill.”

Williams fired back that his questions did deal with the bill.

“You won’t make any exceptions for rape, you won’t make any exceptions for incest in this and you are proffering divine intervention as the reason why you won’t do that,” he said. “I think it is very important. This body wants to know, myself personally, whether you believe rape and incest are actually the will of God.”
On the one hand, I think I see his mindset, and understand his philosophy, but he clearly doesn't understand how his words can be abstracted and put in a headline like this.

On the other hand, you can't claim this is "out of context" -- the debate is over an abortion bill, and is perfectly in context. If you don't happen to see everything that happens as the result of some Divine Plan, then rape is a needless and cruel act, and saying that "God can bring beauty from ashes" seems Pollyannish and naïve.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:05 AM

The GOP is on a roll today

GOP Lawmaker Defends Use Of Japanese-American Camps During WWII

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...0f838c62f5793?

Quote:
One Republican lawmaker in Colorado appeared to twice defend the mass incarceration of Japanese-Americans during World War II while debating a bill that would prevent the state from carrying out President Donald Trump’s executive orders that target people based on their race, religious views or immigration status.

“We keep hearing about how things went down with the Japanese people,” state Rep. Phil Covarrubias said Wednesday during a debate over House Bill 1230, also known as the Ralph Carr Freedom Defense Act.

“For anyone that has never been in combat, when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and all of that was going on, there’s no time to ask questions and find out who is a citizen and who’s not,” Covarrubias said.

“I hear people saying that we need to respect other people’s rights, and I agree with that, but what about them respecting our rights and our country and our laws?”

Yeah! What about all those people of Japanese descent, not respecting our rights by being of Japanese ancestry?

And we can't take any chances -- there's no time to find out who's a citizen and who's not! Even though we didn't round up all the people with German or Italian names!
Old 03-23-2017, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Heck, Michelle Malkin wrote an entire book directly defending it, then saying, IIRC, that it means we have to put Muslims in camps too.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
GOP Lawmaker Defends Use Of Japanese-American Camps During WWII

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...0f838c62f5793?

Yeah! What about all those people of Japanese descent, not respecting our rights by being of Japanese ancestry?

And we can't take any chances -- there's no time to find out who's a citizen and who's not! Even though we didn't round up all the people with German or Italian names!
I hope there are some Colorado Asian-Americans on their way down to his office with some eggs.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Oklahoma Republican Says God Can Use Rape And Incest To ‘Bring Beauty From Ashes’

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...0b22b0d19cb53?

On the one hand, I think I see his mindset, and understand his philosophy, but he clearly doesn't understand how his words can be abstracted and put in a headline like this.

On the other hand, you can't claim this is "out of context" -- the debate is over an abortion bill, and is perfectly in context. If you don't happen to see everything that happens as the result of some Divine Plan, then rape is a needless and cruel act, and saying that "God can bring beauty from ashes" seems Pollyannish and naïve.
I think cancer of the balls is also God's will. Let's hope Rep. George Faught, whis is A Dick, fully embraces God's will.

Last edited by Little_Pig; 03-23-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Old 03-23-2017, 01:08 PM

Schadenfreude, Republican Style

Quote:
Ex-Colo. GOP leader said only Democrats committed voter fraud. Now he’s charged with voter fraud.
Quote:
“It seems to me,” Curtis said in the 42-minute segment, “that virtually every case of voter fraud I can remember in my lifetime was committed by Democrats.”
That's because you are an idiot. And now a criminal.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
Heck, Michelle Malkin wrote an entire book directly defending it, then saying, IIRC, that it means we have to put Muslims in camps too.
Michelle Malkin, the female version of Ann Coulter.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Schadenfreude, Republican Style

That's because you are an idiot. And now a criminal.
This may be my favorite news story of the year. Thank you for posting.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
You are cruelly sarcastic. Come sit over here by me.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
You can put lipstick on whatever it is that Michelle Malkin is, but it still does not make whatever that thing is human.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Pig View Post
I think cancer of the balls is also God's will. Let's hope Rep. George Faught, whis is A Dick, fully embraces God's will.
A childrens chorus can make anything sound beautiful...
All things sick and cancerous,
All evil great and small,
All things foul and dangerous,
The Lord God made them all.

https://youtu.be/Dh5x6dv4LHo
Old 03-23-2017, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Two ethnic groups which vote heavily GOP today. Coincidence? I think not. Clearly the European Axis Powers have infiltrated this country to bring it to ruin, and we have foolishly let them.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:43 PM

Remember, a lot of those who are "passing" for German are actually Dutch!
Old 03-23-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Remember, a lot of those who are "passing" for German are actually Dutch!
http://i.imgur.com/2rwmZ.jpg
Old Yesterday, 12:20 AM

Well, the Japanese attacked us, the Germans and the Italians did not.
Old Yesterday, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Well, the Japanese attacked us, the Germans and the Italians did not.
German:
In the "Greer Incident" on 4 September 1941 the destroyer USS Greer (DD-145) was fired upon with torpedoes by German submarine U-652.
Either the casualties inflicted on USS Kearny by German submarine U-568 on 17 October 1941 (11 KIA)[6] or the sinking of the USS Reuben James by U-552 on 31 October 1941, (115 KIA)[7] might be considered the first American naval losses of World War II. The United States was neither officially involved in the war at the time nor did the incidents cause them to declare war.

US v. German:
The first American hostile action against Axis forces was on 10 April 1941, when the destroyer USS Niblack attacked a German U-boat that had just sunk a Dutch freighter. USS Niblack was picking up survivors of the freighter when it detected a U-boat preparing to attack. The Niblack attacked with depth charges and drove off the U-boat. There were no casualties on board USS Niblack or the U-boat. By coincidence, USS Niblack was later in the same convoy as USS Reuben James when that ship was sunk, and picked up survivors from USS Reuben James.
The first American hostile action against Axis forces that resulted in physical destruction was on 14 September 1941, when USCGC Northland destroyed a German weather station in northeast Greenland. The action was based on an agreement with Danish Ambassador to the United States Henrik Kauffmann in April 1941 to patrol the Danish island.
Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

Quote:
So if an abortion is successful it was obviously God's will. It would be blasphemy to say otherwise - but we shouldn't judge that blasphemy because it was also God's will - on the otherhand that judging would be God's will too...

So why, exactly, is this guy involved with governing and law? Shouldn't he just sit back and see what God makes to happen.

( And yes, God wanted me to write this )
Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Congressional Republicans are upset that Mad Dog Mattis is hiring Democrats to fill positions in his Department.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...s-obama-236329
Joe McCarthy for 2017.

I have here in my hand a list of 205 names that were made known to the Secretary of Defense as being members of the Democratic Party and who nevertheless are still working and shaping policy in the Defense Department....
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

"The Japanese" didn't attack us. JAPAN did. Upon such small distinctions hang the fates of many.
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Also, there were quite a few Germans and Italians interred. Just not ALL of them because of their ancestry. Usually, they were American Nazis or Fascisti.
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Also, there were quite a few Germans and Italians interred. Just not ALL of them because of their ancestry. Usually, they were American Nazis or Fascisti.
Were any interred because of their ancestry? Because that was the Japanese-American experience. AFAIK, none of the Nisei rounded up were known subversives or members of antithetical parties. But I must admit I haven't looked into it.
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Were any interred because of their ancestry? Because that was the Japanese-American experience. AFAIK, none of the Nisei rounded up were known subversives or members of antithetical parties. But I must admit I haven't looked into it.
Poor wording on my part. I was trying to say that only some Germans and Italians were interred, and for the most part it had nothing to do with their ancestry (as far as I know). Also that unlike the Japanese, their ancestry was not used to inter everyone who had German or Italian ancestry.

Which was a good thing for my mother's family, since PopPop was Italian and Grandma was German.
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

And a good thing for our forces. Being limited to soldiers of pure Brit, Polish, or French (Is there such a thing? It's a small continent.) ancestry would leave us at a disadvantage.

And Nisei troops kicked serious ass, too, like African-American troops, DESPITE it all.
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

This is catching me up short every time. The past tense of intern is interned, right? Not interred? Because if interred means both buried and put in a camp that's... well, rather fitting, I guess.
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

"Intern" is an indentured servant. "Intern" is an involuntary guest of the host government; like a POW without benefit of a declaration of war. Pay's the same, though the latter are more likely to be shot in contract disputes. Clear?
Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

<sigh>

It's been a very long week. I've been copy-editing engineerese into English all week, and my brain has gone all melty.
Old Yesterday, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
YRC. Remember the cover. Richard Kotoshirodo juxtaposed with Mohamed Atta (9/11 terrorist). She's clearly drawing a parallel: either that we were right to do what we did back in '42 or that we need to do again.

http://old.seattletimes.com/html/boo..._malkin19.html
Old Today, 01:48 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

After the Trumpcare debacle, someone should have some bumper stickers made up:

THE REPUBLICAN PARTY
Well, at least they're incompetent.
Old Today, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBuckner View Post
After the Trumpcare debacle, someone should have some bumper stickers made up:

THE REPUBLICAN PARTY