Old 09-17-2019, 10:23 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
The stated rationale is that with the Orange Peril's rollback of emissions standards, federal standards and those of California would be radically different. The real reason is that the Orange One hates California and hates anyone and anything that supports the mitigation of climate change, and of course doesn't give a shit about states' rights. He would love to see LA smog return on a yuuge scale -- it would be the greatest smog, the best smog in history, believe me.

Furthermore, with signs that forward-thinking automakers would voluntarily conform to California standards nationwide, it would make the federal rollback in this area ineffective and greatly piss off the Orange Cheeto by reducing auto pollution, smog, and cardiorespiratory diseases not just in California, but nationwide. Thus, the Trumpster's DOJ is now harassing automakers who voluntarily agreed to an emissions reduction deal with the California Air Resources Board, accusing them -- get ready for this -- of antitrust violations!

Wait just a minute here! Doesn't the tan turd just positively love Xi Jinping? The People's Republic of China happens to have rather strict emissions standards for their motor vehicles. Since T2 is copying his dictator heroes, one would thing he'd support California on this!

Last edited by Monty; 09-17-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
The stated rationale is that with the Orange Peril's rollback of emissions standards, federal standards and those of California would be radically different. The real reason is that the Orange One hates California and hates anyone and anything that supports the mitigation of climate change, and of course doesn't give a shit about states' rights. He would love to see LA smog return on a yuuge scale -- it would be the greatest smog, the best smog in history, believe me.

Furthermore, with signs that forward-thinking automakers would voluntarily conform to California standards nationwide, it would make the federal rollback in this area ineffective and greatly piss off the Orange Cheeto by reducing auto pollution, smog, and cardiorespiratory diseases not just in California, but nationwide. Thus, the Trumpster's DOJ is now harassing automakers who voluntarily agreed to an emissions reduction deal with the California Air Resources Board, accusing them -- get ready for this -- of antitrust violations!
I really think at least a portion of it is that automakers hurt his feelings by agreeing to follow California's standards and not his rolled-back ones. Now he's lashing out to hurt not only California and Obama but also those automakers that flouted his "orders."

He carries a grudge better than anyone - believe me!

I don't suppose there's the tiniest chance that if California loses the legal battle that will ensue, automakers would go ahead and follow its intended emission standards anyway rather than going with Trumpelstiltskin's ridiculous worse ones that are harmful to everyone just out of spite?
Old 09-17-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Wait just a minute here! Doesn't the tan turd just positively love Xi Jinping? The People's Republic of China happens to have rather strict emissions standards for their motor vehicles. Since T2 is copying his dictator heroes, one would thing he'd support California on this!
Yabbut historically Xi Jinping has presided over some of the world's best smog -- yuuuge smog -- especially in Beijing -- and the Cheeto doesn't like being outdone. He won't rest until the residents of LA are going around with face masks or gas masks and keeling over from lung disease like the folks in Beijing.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:24 PM

Not any more, though. Our very own JoseB loves telling anybody that since China built two nuclear reactors beyond the hills and removed the ring of coal burners around Beijing, the air has cleared up and then some. Sounds like something out of a SimCity game, but hey, it works.

Washingon Post article from this same month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypist View Post
I don't suppose there's the tiniest chance that if California loses the legal battle that will ensue, automakers would go ahead and follow its intended emission standards anyway rather than going with Trumpelstiltskin's ridiculous worse ones that are harmful to everyone just out of spite?
Which standards are closer to those in other markets of interest, such as Japan, Australia or the EU? If you can create a single design which fullfills all requirements, having two designs each of which is limited to part of your market will generally not make sense (the savings in materials etc would need to make up for the added cost in engineering, supply chain management etc). Note that right-hand/left-hand double design is a situation where you cannot have a single design, as the two sets of regulations are mutually incompatible.

But what Trump knows about OpEx fits inside the shadow of my little finger's nail. With the lights off.

Last edited by Nava; 09-17-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I like the jib-cut.
But I fear all this administration's diligent, well-trained new EPA regulators will go around making sure all regulations have been properly de-regulated, and then heads will roll in a most Halfordian way.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:53 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Nava: The government here is kind of, shall we say, interesting when it comes to certain things. Apparently they react pretty quickly when the air quality reading gets pretty high (it's like a score in golf, the higher, the worse), shutting down factories, restricting which cars can be driven, etc. Just five years ago, I looked out my apartment window and I couldn't even see three feet. Yet the air quality reading was in the 30s. I wondered how that reading could be so at odds with the evidence of my eyes. Then it hit me.

Do you remember the term "wind chill factor" in weather reports? For example, the meteorologist would announce "Tomorrow morning the temperature will be 37 degrees, but the wind chill factor of 10 will make it feel like 27 degrees". It's similar to the air quality reading here, but what you have to do is add the corruption factor.

Last edited by Monty; 09-17-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:

Imagine, for a moment, a party that was actively trying to destroy the country. Actively trying to get as many people as possible killed. Actively trying to cause the apocalypse.

How would their actions look different from the current republican party?
Old 09-18-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Imagine, for a moment, a party that was actively trying to destroy the country. Actively trying to get as many people as possible killed. Actively trying to cause the apocalypse.

They’d open the borders?
Old 09-18-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
They’d open the borders?
I don't follow but tbh I think it's just as well you don't explain it
Old 09-18-2019, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post

They wouldn't be trying to make a personal profit off of what they were doing.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
What is the stated rationale for this, even if it's something completely ridiculous. Which it surely is. Why don't the Pubbies like this? It's only one state out of approximately 48 or 49 or something.
Oh, Republicans know for a fact that there are 50 states. By knowing that, they can continue to accuse Obama of being a imbecile when he stated that there were 57.

Of course, for all that they can count states, Republicans cannot seem to count the number of Trump's golf trips as opposed to Obama's. They seem to think that Obama golfed more, but I have a feeling Republican numbers are correct when they want them to be, but incorrect when it interferes with their vision.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
How does climbing into a Klein bottle cause someone to turn into a Klein bottle?
They become similarly in-Kleined.

On auto emissions, the automakers are unlikely to relax standards in new builds just because of this, knowing full well that 1) a change in administration could result in the standards being tightened again, so it would cost them less in the longer term to keep improving emission standards, and 2) it's still a good marketing point.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
I... and then heads will roll in a most Halfordian way.
Speaking of good jibs and cuts!
Old 09-18-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Oh, Republicans know for a fact that there are 50 states. By knowing that, they can continue to accuse Obama of being a imbecile when he stated that there were 57.

Of course, for all that they can count states, Republicans cannot seem to count the number of Trump's golf trips as opposed to Obama's. They seem to think that Obama golfed more, but I have a feeling Republican numbers are correct when they want them to be, but incorrect when it interferes with their vision.
Everybody knows that on 9/11, President Obama was on the golf course instead of presidentin' in the White House Ha! "White" House! They call it that 'cause it's just for white people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
...On auto emissions, the automakers are unlikely to relax standards in new builds just because of this, knowing full well that 1) a change in administration could result in the standards being tightened again, so it would cost them less in the longer term to keep improving emission standards, and 2) it's still a good marketing point.
When someone spills the beans to Former President Trump* that the car makers are doing this, he'll probably shut them down and nationalize the auto manufacturing business. Then he can turn the clock back to the 1950s and make auto workers happy again. Win-win!
Old 09-18-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Or maybe, just maybe, it's like he's an ourobos but is eating himself foot first. It's a fucking miracle, though, how often he puts his foot in his mouth, what with his head so far up his ass.
Now I'm thinking of an incident in Heinlein's Glory Road where "Oscar" and Star, the two protagonists, get into a fight with what amounts to an ogre. The two have it pretty well tied in knots when Oscar -- mainly to stop the screaming -- shoves the ogre's foot into its own mouth. It disappears in up to the knee so he jams the other leg in, too. Then the two of them keep pushing and rolling and the ogre gets smaller and smaller until they wind up with just some grease on their hands.

"Where'd he go?"

"Don't think about it too much."

If only.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Now I'm thinking of an incident in Heinlein's Glory Road where "Oscar" and Star, the two protagonists, get into a fight with what amounts to an ogre. The two have it pretty well tied in knots when Oscar -- mainly to stop the screaming -- shoves the ogre's foot into its own mouth. It disappears in up to the knee so he jams the other leg in, too. Then the two of them keep pushing and rolling and the ogre gets smaller and smaller until they wind up with just some grease on their hands.

"Where'd he go?"

"Don't think about it too much."

If only.
Like the guy who ran around in ever-decreasing concentric circles until he disappeared up his own asshole.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
...When someone spills the beans to Former President Trump* that the car makers are doing this, he'll probably shut them down and nationalize the auto manufacturing business. Then he can turn the clock back to the 1950s and make auto workers happy again. Win-win!
Automakers should band together, buy some air time and tell it like it is "Donald Trump, The President of the United States, is trying to poison you. We are not going to let that happen and will continue to follow higher emissions standards. Every one of us."
Old 09-18-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

With the departure of John Mitnick, DHS General Counsel...

Now running DHS:

Acting Secretary
Acting Deputy Secretary
ACTING GENERAL COUNSEL
Acting Under Secretary for Management
Acting CBP Commissioner
Acting ICE Director
Acting USCIS DIrector
Acting FEMA Administrator

Stephen Miller
Old 09-18-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Automakers should band together, buy some air time and tell it like it is "Donald Trump, The President of the United States, is trying to poison you. We are not going to let that happen and will continue to follow higher emissions standards. Every one of us."
At this point, if automakers have already tooled their factories for the higher emission standards, it would make more sense to just stay there. Stricter regulations undoubtedly will return so why go through the hassle to undo what they've done only to redo it again in the probably not distant future.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
On auto emissions, the automakers are unlikely to relax standards in new builds just because of this, knowing full well that 1) a change in administration could result in the standards being tightened again, so it would cost them less in the longer term to keep improving emission standards, and 2) it's still a good marketing point.
I know I should know this or I could look it up if I weren't feeling so lazy today, but what's the advantage to the typical MAGAt of relaxing the standards? My only guess is that it would somehow lower the price of a new car, but given the re-engineering and re-tooling and the like, that's not too likely in the short term (meaning before the 2020 election).
Old 09-18-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
At this point, if automakers have already tooled their factories for the higher emission standards, it would make more sense to just stay there. Stricter regulations undoubtedly will return so why go through the hassle to undo what they've done only to redo it again in the probably not distant future.
Of course. They wouldn't be doing it for purely idealistic reasons. But they could point out Trumps truly evil ambitions. Well, not even ambitions really. He's doing it out of spite just like a 5 year old would.

Ten bucks says the moron in the WH will bring up what clean air and water we have so we don't need these expensive regulations.

Ya see, he can't figure out how to do anything that is beneficial to anyone but himself. So in a deluded attempt to try to make himself look 'better' he trys to destroy the goodness of others.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
I know I should know this or I could look it up if I weren't feeling so lazy today, but what's the advantage to the typical MAGAt of relaxing the standards? My only guess is that it would somehow lower the price of a new car, but given the re-engineering and re-tooling and the like, that's not too likely in the short term (meaning before the 2020 election).
Librul tears?
Old 09-18-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
That's exactly what he's claiming in this morning's round of Tweetjaculations, along with the bizarre claim that this will also make cars much safer. To which I can only say "Whadafuk?"

Last edited by El_Kabong; 09-18-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
along with the bizarre claim that this will also make cars much safer. To which I can only say "Whadafuk?"
That one is easy. The only way to meet the fuel economy standard is to replace good American steel with tissue paper to reduce weight.

If instead the auto makers could weld an I-beam cage around each car, no one would get hurt.

Of course, that is in tension with the reduced cost bit, what with the steel tariffs, but I'm certain it will all work out.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Trumpelthinskin starts a dick-measuring contest with a woman and loses:

Quote:
"Certainly, if I went to Manhattan, if I went there — No. 1, [Warren] didn’t have 20,000 people and No. 2, I think anybody would get a good crowd there," [Trump] told reporters on Air Force One, according to a pool report.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Oh, he’d get at LEAST 20,000. And we’d all bring whatever rotten fruits and vegetables we could get together at the last minute.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:02 PM

nm

Last edited by Buck Godot; 09-18-2019 at 12:04 PM. Reason: already covered
Old 09-18-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Oh, he’d get at LEAST 20,000. And we’d all bring whatever rotten fruits and vegetables we could get together at the last minute.
And the blimp. Please bring the blimp.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
When someone spills the beans to Former President Trump* that the car makers are doing this, he'll probably shut them down and nationalize the auto manufacturing business. Then he can turn the clock back to the 1950s and make auto workers happy again. Win-win!
Quote:
Yep that is pretty much exactly what is happening except rather than nationalizing them them he is ordering his justice department to sue them for anti-trust.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 09-18-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Of course. They wouldn't be doing it for purely idealistic reasons. But they could point out Trumps truly evil ambitions. Well, not even ambitions really. He's doing it out of spite just like a 5 year old would.

Ten bucks says the moron in the WH will bring up what clean air and water we have so we don't need these expensive regulations.

Ya see, he can't figure out how to do anything that is beneficial to anyone but himself. So in a deluded attempt to try to make himself look 'better' he trys to destroy the goodness of others.
No, I don’t think it would be out of the goodness of the automakers’ hearts, but I’m hoping they will look at long term business reasons (I.e., eventually there will hopefully be a president who wants to reduce emissions again) instead of short term business reasons (getting Trumpelstiltskin off their backs for now). But everyone always capitulates to him for some reason so I’m afraid to hope that reduced emissions and better gas mileage will or could win out.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
That's exactly what he's claiming in this morning's round of Tweetjaculations, along with the bizarre claim that this will also make cars much safer. To which I can only say "Whadafuk?"
Apparently the EPA, to support its decision to roll back standards, has some study that says that higher fuel efficiency will result in more miles driven, which in turn will result in more traffic collisions. It may not be the soundest of claims.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:16 PM

Fox News is reporting "Trump administration revokes California’s authority to set auto mileage standards" as if it already happened.

Isn't there some sort of process that needs to be completed first?
Old 09-18-2019, 02:21 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Fox News is reporting "Trump administration revokes California’s authority to set auto mileage standards" as if it already happened.

Isn't there some sort of process that needs to be completed first?
So it shall be Tweeted. So it shall be done.

Last edited by running coach; 09-18-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
So it shall be Tweeted. So it shall be done.
Ah right, I forgot.

If I was California, I wouldn't threaten with lawsuits. I would just say "When we see (whatever is needed, letter, form, law, whatever), then we will discuss it. Until then, it's simply the tweet of a moron"
Old 09-18-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
It's all about spite and "revenge". He hates California because Cali didn't vote for him or kiss his ass.

He tried to fuck them over the train, he tried to fuck them over the fires, he is trying to fuck them over the homeless somehow, and he is trying to fuck them over "emissions".

It's ALL about spite and malice - just like every other fucking thing and every other fucking time.

Quote:
I really think at least a portion of it is that automakers hurt his feelings by agreeing to follow California's standards and not his rolled-back ones. Now he's lashing out to hurt not only California and Obama but also those automakers that flouted his "orders."

He carries a grudge better than anyone - believe me!

Yup.

Last edited by SteveG1; 09-18-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:22 PM

"U.S. automakers contend that without a substantial increase in fuel efficiency, their vehicles will be less competitive globally, which could potentially result in job losses.
"Automakers support year-over-year increases in fuel economy standards that align with marketplace realities, and we support one national program as the best path to preserve good auto jobs, keep new vehicles affordable for more Americans and avoid a marketplace with different standards," said Dave Schwietert, the interim CEO and president of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, which represents Ford, General Motors and other leading U.S. auto manufactures."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-b...uel-standards/
Old 09-18-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
"U.S. automakers contend that without a substantial increase in fuel efficiency, their vehicles will be less competitive globally, which could potentially result in job losses.
"Automakers support year-over-year increases in fuel economy standards that align with marketplace realities, and we support one national program as the best path to preserve good auto jobs, keep new vehicles affordable for more Americans and avoid a marketplace with different standards," said Dave Schwietert, the interim CEO and president of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, which represents Ford, General Motors and other leading U.S. auto manufactures."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-b...uel-standards/
It's absurd that Trump tries to force the automobile manufactures, of all industries, to be less ecologically minded against their will.

I know, I know, everything is absurd in this administration....

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 09-18-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:42 PM

Hoo boy, that's going to make him mad. He doesn't like to be contradicted. Now he may actually try to throw them out of the country or something.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Yep that is pretty much exactly what is happening except rather than nationalizing them them he is ordering his justice department to sue them for anti-trust.
Possible ray of hope?:

Quote:
from link: Auto companies will likely be able to claim immunity from antitrust laws, said Hill Wellford, an antitrust lawyer and partner at Vinson & Elkins. They could argue the companies' First Amendment right to petition state or federal governments supersedes such laws through what’s known as the Noerr-Pennington doctrine.

"If they do it correctly and they’re well-counseled — which I have no doubt they are — there’s a way to do this that is utterly, completely sheltered from the antitrust laws,” he said.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
No, I don’t think it would be out of the goodness of the automakers’ hearts, but I’m hoping they will look at long term business reasons (I.e., eventually there will hopefully be a president who wants to reduce emissions again) instead of short term business reasons (getting Trumpelstiltskin off their backs for now). But everyone always capitulates to him for some reason so I’m afraid to hope that reduced emissions and better gas mileage will or could win out.
Yup. Once again (actually, as always) Trump is just being spiteful and a complete fucking moron.

Automakers, US and otherwise (it's all global) aren't going to throw away 40 years of tech. Tech that has made their cars more reliable. More efficient in MANY ways (look at the horse power they are getting out of 4 cylinders) and mostly MORE DESIRABLE and just start throwing 4 barrel carbs on V8's.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
And if anyone complains about this, they'll be called "a socialist". Because the term means "someone I do not like"
Old 09-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Hoo boy, that's going to make him mad. He doesn't like to be contradicted. Now he may actually try to throw them out of the country or something.
That doesn't really contradict the administration, tho: only the federal government can regulate emissions because only the federal government can regulate interstate commerce. AFAIUI that's the argument being proffered by the Trump administration.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
The next step is a wall along California's eastern border. And then government-funded research to find a way to break off the whole state and let it fall into the ocean. That'll larn 'em, upstart librul, tree-hugging, crystal-sucking coddlers of the homeless!
Old 09-18-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
That doesn't really contradict the administration, tho: only the federal government can regulate emissions because only the federal government can regulate interstate commerce. AFAIUI that's the argument being proffered by the Trump administration.
Trump claimed that this would make cars cheaper. (And safer, whatever the fuck that means,)
Old 09-18-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Trump claimed that this would make cars cheaper. (And safer, whatever the fuck that means,)
Trump should tweet that he hereby orders car manufacturers to stop putting airbags or seatbelts in cars. This will immediately reduce the cost of a new car. Also, Anti-lock braking systems should be forbidden. They also increase the costs. Regular brakes were good enough in the 1950's and that was a golden time. Headrests/restraints should also be eliminated via Trump Tweet. Not needed. Just an eyesore.
Child car seats are a liberal scam. Gone with another tweet. The leftie-hippies just hate the good old days when kids could play in the back of the station wagon. Fun-killers!

If there are any federal agencies that object (I'm looking at you, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration), Trump will just Sharpie them out of existence. Problem solved, regulations cut! Win win!
Old 09-18-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nah, he won't kick them out. He'll just apply tariffs on US manufactured autos...
Old 09-18-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Automakers, US and otherwise (it's all global) aren't going to throw away 40 years of tech. Tech that has made their cars more reliable. More efficient in MANY ways (look at the horse power they are getting out of 4 cylinders) and mostly MORE DESIRABLE and just start throwing 4 barrel carbs on V8's.
Plus, they realize that that next sane\smart President will try to undo what the Cheeto has done.

-God
Old 09-18-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Trump should tweet that he hereby orders car manufacturers to stop putting airbags or seatbelts in cars. This will immediately reduce the cost of a new car. Also, Anti-lock braking systems should be forbidden. They also increase the costs. Regular brakes were good enough in the 1950's and that was a golden time. Headrests/restraints should also be eliminated via Trump Tweet. Not needed. Just an eyesore.
When you don't have health insurance anymore, and cars become less safe, funerals are going to start looking better and better.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
When you don't have health insurance anymore, and cars become less safe, funerals are going to start looking better and better.
Cheaper cars, more jobs in the funeral industry! Win win! I bet you're tired of so much winning!
Old 09-18-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Cheaper cars, more jobs in the funeral industry! Win win! I bet you're tired of so much winning!
Hmmm, what sectors will rake in profits from the Trump years? Funeral Homes; Bullet-Proof Vests in kid sizes, and for grandma too; Home Surgical Suites if you can't get insurance... I tells ya, we could make out like bandits!