Old 12-06-2016, 09:14 AM

Biden 2020

Trump will be the oldest person to begin their tenure as president at 70. Clearly, electing an older person as POTUS, isn't an impediment to the electorate.

Biden is currently 74, so he would be 78 if elected in 2020.

Too old, or not a concern?
Old 12-06-2016, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

He won't run, but yeah, I think that's too old for the rigors of office. I'm thinking they may put up Nikki Haley as someone who can bring in women, minorities, and men who think she's hot.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:25 AM

As a centrist-moderate Democrat and a big fan of Biden... I'd have to say no, he would just be too old. I have no concerns he would be incapable of doing the job but at that age there are no certainties regarding health and mental fitness. Two terms puts him at 86 years old! Beyond that, I'd really rather see the Democratic Party bring younger "future of the party" types to the table although none come to mind right now.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:27 AM

No one will win the next Democratic primary except Warren or Sanders, probably Warren.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:36 AM

I don't care about age any more. I hope he runs, in addition to plenty of other Democrats. Let's have a great big primary with tons of candidates, and see who rises to the top.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:39 AM

Take a poll first lol

He's too old end of story ...
Old 12-06-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucible View Post
No one will win the next Democratic primary except Warren or Sanders, probably Warren.
I'm hoping for Tammy Duckworth. Biden could've won against Trump this cycle, but he won't have a chance in 2020.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I don't care about age any more. I hope he runs, in addition to plenty of other Democrats. Let's have a great big primary with tons of candidates, and see who rises to the top.
When the Republicans did something like that, it didn't end well.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:07 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
I don't care about age any more.
Well I do and I'm sure a large portion of the electorate would too. This year I would have voted for him over Clinton or Trump but it wasn't an option. 82 by the end of his first potential term? Too old.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boffking View Post
Trouble was, there were too many serious candidates and not enough batshit candidates. The serious vote splintered and the batshit vote solidified.

I love Joe Biden, but I'm afraid he's just a little too old in 2020. But we have other people in the party. What we can't do is let one person clear the field years before it gets underway.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Our party is different. We had a tiny group, and we ended up with a losing candidate. They had a giant group and won, with a candidate that greatly appealed to their base.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:42 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Our party is different. We had a tiny group, and we ended up with a losing candidate. They had a giant group and won, with a candidate that greatly appealed to their base.
You didn't have a tiny group. You had a pre-crowned candidate and an outsider popped in and shook things up because too many in the party didn't like being told who the candidate was going to be.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

I love Biden and wish to God he had run this year, but his window of opportunity is now gone. Yeah, he's too old. So are, IMO, Sanders and Warren in 2020.

Dems have plenty of younger, charismatic leaders who need to step up now. And unlike what happened this year, the party leadership needs to encourage challengers and not select a presumptive nominee from the old guard before anyone has started running.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:54 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
I love Biden and wish to God he had run this year, but his window of opportunity is now gone. Yeah, he's too old. So are, IMO, Sanders and Warren in 2020.

Dems have plenty of younger, charismatic leaders who need to step up now. And unlike what happened this year, the party leadership needs to encourage challengers and not select a presumptive nominee from the old guard before anyone has started running.
If you want charismatic look no further than Cory Booker. I saw he speak to a crowd several times when he was mayor of Newark. Off the cuff with no notes or teleprompter he was mesmerizing.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:02 AM

I think Biden would have beaten Trump easily this year but he will be too old in 2020. The Democratic party needs to move on and find someone from Obama's generation or younger.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
You didn't have a tiny group. You had a pre-crowned candidate and an outsider popped in and shook things up because too many in the party didn't like being told who the candidate was going to be.
That's a pretty tiny group (2, essentially, plus a few nobodies).
Old 12-06-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I'm thinking they may put up Nikki Haley as someone who can bring in women, minorities, and men who think she's hot.
That didn't work out so well for Hillary.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
That didn't work out so well for Hillary.
I don't thing that hotness was part of the appeal, though she won a plurality of the vote nonetheless.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you want charismatic look no further than Cory Booker. I saw he speak to a crowd several times when he was mayor of Newark. Off the cuff with no notes or teleprompter he was mesmerizing.
I'm a big fan of Booker too, but like I said, we have to resist the temptation of choosing a nominee before we have any candidates. How awesome would it be to go into a primary race thinking 'well, I like all four of these candidates, this is a tough choice' instead of 'do I want this person to be the nominee or should I protest and vote for the other guy?'
Old 12-06-2016, 11:26 AM

Another big Joe Biden fan here, but Progressives need a more charismatic, younger candidate with less baggage. The problem with having a long record in public service is that there is more material available with which to savage the candidate.

Booker's great, but keep an eye on Gavin Newsom, too. He'll be in the mix, I believe. If not in 2020, then 2024. We need more of these.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
He won't run, but yeah, I think that's too old for the rigors of office. I'm thinking they may put up Nikki Haley as someone who can bring in women, minorities, and men who think she's hot.
Um. Just to be clear, Chefguy... You think that the Democrats should run Republican Nikki Haley as their candidate in 2020?

Last edited by GrandWino; 12-06-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Another big Joe Biden fan here, but Progressives need a more charismatic, younger candidate with less baggage. The problem with having a long record in public service is that there is more material available with which to savage the candidate.

Booker's great, but keep an eye on Gavin Newsom, too. He'll be in the mix, I believe. If not in 2020, then 2024. We need more of these.
I've always thought either one of these two would be fantastic candidates for POTUS.

Much as I like Warren, she's not going to have the same appeal. Like Bernie, she comes across as a bit too cranky.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:44 AM

Booker would be awesome. But keep your eye on California AG Kamala Harris.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:55 AM

Who defines "old" anymore? 80 year old John McCain just won re-election to another term as senator from Arizona. He'll be 86 when his term expires. Although the implications of a president dying in office are much larger than from a senator dying in office and the rigors of the job are greater
Old 12-06-2016, 12:59 PM

The challenge for the Dems in 2020 will be to find a candidate who can win, not necessarily who will make the best president. Winning the election is all that matters. I think Biden would have a great chance of winning in 2020. He might not make it through his term, but that doesn't matter.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:04 PM

I think Biden will be too old, too white, and too male for the Democratic Party in 2020.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Well I do and I'm sure a large portion of the electorate would too. This year I would have voted for him over Clinton or Trump but it wasn't an option. 82 by the end of his first potential term? Too old.
This is my feeling. Biden was my first choice this time around, but he didn't run. I predict two things, first, Trump won't rerun in 2020 and second, neither will Biden.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth cochrane:

Who defines "old" anymore? 80 year old John McCain just won re-election to another term as senator from Arizona.
Yes, as a senator. Senators are expected to be old. Heck, it's the origin of the word: "Senator" is literally an old man (it's the same root as "senior" and "senile").
Old 12-06-2016, 01:13 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
That's a pretty tiny group (2, essentially, plus a few nobodies).
The group wasn't tiny. It was one. Then a non-democrat came in and messed up the narrative.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:18 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
You may be right. Now that she is going to the Senate we'll see how prominent a position they give her. Of course you'll have the strategists wringing their hands. Ethnic and a woman? Inconceivable.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
The group wasn't tiny. It was one. Then a non-democrat came in and messed up the narrative.
It was two: Tommy Carcetti... err... Martin O'Malley was running against her as designated sacrificial lamb.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:34 PM

Biden says, "I'm going to run in 2020"
Old 12-06-2016, 01:34 PM

I've liked Joe Biden since he was first elected to the Senate in 1972. I was working there at the time and remember how young he was. But now? I'm a lot older and so is he. The Democratic Party needs to spend the next 2 years developing younger candidates. I say 2 years because at the end of those 2 years, it should be just about time to start identifying potential candidates and building up a campaign. I like Cory Booker and the idea of Kamala Harris as one to watch is also a good one. How about the Castro twins? They seem to have a lot going for them. But let the Old Guard step aside and rest. If Biden feels energized, he can back someone and serve as a surrogate, but he'll be too old to run for the office himself.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Such a big font for such an unreliable source. He can say it now, but if I had to put money on it he won't say it in six months.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
... such an unreliable source.
Biden?
Old 12-06-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Biden?
No, Faux News. Yes I know real news sites are saying much the same thing.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Biden?
I love the guy's style, but yeah, he's "unreliable" when speaking off the cuff. (Or, to put a more positive spin on it, "unpredictable!")

I mean, according to the Fox link, he already backtracked to "not not running in 2020" pretty much immediately, right?

Anyway, as a Democrat, I'd welcome him in the race (and the pre-pre-pre race we're gonna start soon), but I wouldn't vote for him in a primary unless it's down to him and Joe Lieberman or something like that.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoe View Post
IAnyway, as a Democrat, I'd welcome him in the race (and the pre-pre-pre race we're gonna start soon), but I wouldn't vote for him in a primary unless it's down to him and Joe Lieberman or something like that.

Ugh, is 2020 starting already? I still haven't recovered from this latest clown show.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, Faux News. Yes I know real news sites are saying much the same thing.
psst--don't do that. It makes it difficult for real criticisms of Fox News to be heard when absurd criticisms like this are in the mix.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
psst--don't do that. It makes it difficult for real criticisms of Fox News to be heard when absurd criticisms like this are in the mix.
But if you tell him to stop it'll make it less fun to needle him with sources he dislikes.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:31 PM

I hope the HELL he doesn't run ! The Democrats needs to find fresh blood and stop
recycling their candidates !
Old 12-06-2016, 04:35 PM

Would have preferred Biden this time, but no, sorry, he'll be too old and we need younger leadership.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWino View Post
Um. Just to be clear, Chefguy... You think that the Democrats should run Republican Nikki Haley as their candidate in 2020?
I noticed that long after the edit window closed and hoped nobody would notice . I think the Dems should try to get Kirsten Gillibrand to run. Serious, experienced, without Hillary's baggage or Warren's tendency to rant.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Well, they did win...
Old 12-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's Senator Kamala Harris.

She's awesome, but I don't fancy her running before completing her first Senate term. I'm worried that she peaks too early. She was born 1964, so she has plenty of time to choose the best time to run. The 2024 race looks much better for her, if there's not a Democratic incumbent, or 2028 if there is. I'd be happy with her as the Vice Presidential candidate in 2020, though.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I still have a preference for younger rather than older, intelligent and quick on his mental feet in debates and arguments and explaining why he is for certain policies or ideas vs others. I want out candidate to be able to articulate the opposing view better than Trump ever could, build it up with such strength that there can be no doubt that they perfectly understand the view and its merits, and then proceed to tear it down and explain why his/her vision is the superior one.

And for fucks sakes, someone who is honest and transparent, not trying to hide intentions and true beliefs and all that.

The depressing part is that, I don't know ANYONE who fits that bill. It sure as hell is not Corey Booker, or Gavin Newsom.

Last edited by Salvor; 12-06-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:17 PM

I'd only be concerned about age if the person shows obvious signs of slowing down mentally, or if the opponent is young. But if a 74-year old Trump is running for reelection it's hard to imagine a better candidate to counter him than Biden.

Younger is better if the younger person is ready for prime time, and a primary will suss that out, assuming primary voters actually pay attention and don't just vote for the more famous guy.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Who defines "old" anymore? 80 year old John McCain just won re-election to another term as senator from Arizona. He'll be 86 when his term expires. Although the implications of a president dying in office are much larger than from a senator dying in office and the rigors of the job are greater
Yeah, but it's Arizona. Half the population thinks of McCain as "that nice young man"...
Old 12-06-2016, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
She's awesome, but I don't fancy her running before completing her first Senate term. I'm worried that she peaks too early. She was born 1964, so she has plenty of time to choose the best time to run. The 2024 race looks much better for her, if there's not a Democratic incumbent, or 2028 if there is. I'd be happy with her as the Vice Presidential candidate in 2020, though.
Yes, I doubt Harris moves that soon but it is possible - Obama did. I imagine Newsom will be preoccupied with the CA governorship after Brown steps down in 2018. I see 2024 as more likely for both of them.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvor View Post
I still have a preference for younger rather than older, intelligent and quick on his mental feet in debates and arguments and explaining why he is for certain policies or ideas vs others. I want out candidate to be able to articulate the opposing view better than Trump ever could, build it up with such strength that there can be no doubt that they perfectly understand the view and its merits, and then proceed to tear it down and explain why his/her vision is the superior one.

And for fucks sakes, someone who is honest and transparent, not trying to hide intentions and true beliefs and all that.

The depressing part is that, I don't know ANYONE who fits that bill. It sure as hell is not Corey Booker, or Gavin Newsom.
I'm not that familiar with Booker, but from the assorted interviews and appearances I've seen, that description seems to fit him. I'd be curious as to what your objections are. (I'm even less familiar with Newsom). Maybe we could have a Booker/Duckworth ticket - you get an African-American, a Caucasian, a man, a woman, a disabled person; something for everyone!

Last edited by Skammer; 12-07-2016 at 08:21 AM.