Old 11-02-2017, 10:14 AM

4chan trolls - It's OK to be White

Sample story here. Background here (alt-right link, you've been warned).

What's the best way to deal with these douchebags?
Old 11-02-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Sample story here. Background here (alt-right link, you've been warned).

Same way you deal with anyone expressing anything positive related to their identity. Or is it that it’s saying “white” grounds for different treatment?
Old 11-02-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Same way you deal with anyone expressing anything positive related to their identity. Or is it that it’s saying “white” grounds for different treatment?
You probably still hold your finger 1 inch away from your sister saying, "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you," don't you.

Let's not pretend that the point of the signs is about anything other than what they admit it is, which is

Quote:
about creating the most overblown reaction from the SJW Left possible. So that this overreaction would then hopefully be taken negatively by middle of the road political centrists, or as 4chan users tend to refer to them as “normies.”
Old 11-02-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
You probably still hold your finger 1 inch away from your sister saying, "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you," don't you.

Let's not pretend that the point of the signs is about anything other than what they admit it is, which is
Well, the simple solution is the obvious solution.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:25 AM

Why does anyone need to react to this?
Old 11-02-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
This is something other than the greatest debate technique I've ever witnessed.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotX View Post
Nobody needs to react, and in a perfect world nobody would give the trolls the attention they so desperately crave. But we don't live in that world. We all know people are going to react, and they're going to react in a way that gives the trolls exactly what they want -- a sense of victimization.

Given that we all know a reaction is inevitable, I'm asking what the best way to deal with it is.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
This is something other than the greatest debate technique I've ever witnessed.
Don't hold back, tell me.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Nobody needs to react, and in a perfect world nobody would give the trolls the attention they so desperately crave. But we don't live in that world. We all know people are going to react, and they're going to react in a way that gives the trolls exactly what they want -- a sense of victimization.

Given that we all know a reaction is inevitable, I'm asking what the best way to deal with it is.
Didn't you just describe the best way to deal with the posters?

Or do you mean what is the best way to deal with the reactions to the posters you anticipate?
Old 11-02-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:

So what you are saying is that people don’t have any self control when faced with a harmless and boring message? That doesn’t give much credit to those people.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
So what you are saying is that people don’t have any self control when faced with a harmless and boring message? That doesn’t give much credit to those people.
At what point did I give you the impression that I wanted to give any credit at all to the people who get riled up by trolls?

But just because I don't approve of their response doesn't mean I also approve of the trolling. Do you?
Old 11-02-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I suspect that most people will ignore it—based entirely on the anecdotes of my life.
Some people don't have control.
And some folks look for opportunities to stir the shit pot.

That final group will likely get together with their counterparts who're distributing the posters and churn that cauldron like Hobart mixer.
Which'll be fine if the shit sticks only to each other.

The Recreational Outragers will certainly get their money's worth.

But, like you, I imagine most folks'll shrug.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Yes, people have reacted. The best way to deal with those reactions would probably be to tell the crying SJWs to grow up and get over it, or at least cry quietly, in the privacy of their own homes, to avoid giving the trolls the satisfaction of seeing liberal tears.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Yes, people have reacted. The best way to deal with those reactions would probably be to tell the crying SJWs to grow up and get over it, or at least cry quietly, in the privacy of their own homes, to avoid giving the trolls the satisfaction of seeing liberal tears.
They could also post DNFTT stickers next to the posters.

Might be more effective than telling them that they're cry-babies.
Maybe not though.
Maybe telling folks they're cry-babies will calm 'em right down.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
But, like you, I imagine most folks'll shrug.
99.9% will shrug, but in 2017 all you need is 6 stupid tweets and you've got the makings of a "People are freaking out over X" story. Literally, 6 is the right number. And every alt-right blog will take some combination of those same 6 tweets and recycling them into their own story, and then alt-righters are inundated with stories that prove how fragile and racist the left is.

Being that the 99.9% can't control the actions of 6 people who lack self control, I'm asking what novel ideas people have to deal with the trolls.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:52 AM

I never suggested "telling them they're cry-babies". If that's what you took away from my post, I would encourage you to re-read it.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka
"...tell the crying SJWs to grow up..."
Quote:
I never suggested "telling them they're cry-babies". If that's what you took away from my post, I would encourage you to re-read it.
SHS, is that you?...
Old 11-02-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
At what point did I give you the impression that I wanted to give any credit at all to the people who get riled up by trolls?

But just because I don't approve of their response doesn't mean I also approve of the trolling. Do you?
Since identify politics is all the rage these days I find this a fascinating development. I don’t see the issue with people choosing to write a harmless sentence. I do think that the emotionally underdeveloped that are bothered and are hypocritical with regards to the acceptance of identity politics will act predictably and counter productively.

So to answer your original question again the correct action in response to triggering material is the obvious action. In other words, if one believes they are having their chain yanked for a laugh don’t take the bait. Reading “white is ok” or whatever should be a complete non issue. Hopefully a doper can find one of these posts and staple an oatmeal raisin cookie recipe to it. It’d go viral.

Last edited by octopus; 11-02-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
my bad.

replace "cry-babies" with "the kind of people who cry and who need to grow up and who need to get over it"

Since they cry and need to "grow up", perhaps they're just cry-kids instead of cry-babies?

Seems to read about the same, imho.
ymmv

Last edited by PatriotX; 11-02-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:05 AM

So, it's NOT ok to be white? Or it is? or something else?
Old 11-02-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
So, it's NOT ok to be white? Or it is? or something else?
The whole point is that the statement itself is bland. That's the gimmick.

The shit-stirrers took something innocuous and tried to frame it in such a way to interest their fellow shit-stirrers.

I'd be just fine if they all got together and outraged each other.
They all may be happier if they cut out the middle-man and just tweaked each others noses directly.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's my reaction, as well.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:51 AM

Once, long time ago, a black guy I know got mad at me and called me a "cracker". What can you do about such cultural ignorance, doesn't know a cracker from a peckerwood!
Old 11-02-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
SHS, is that you?...
I don't know who / what SHS is, but can you understand the difference between "you are a crybaby" and "grow up and get over it"? One is utterly-unhelpful name-calling. The other is a suggestion to help someone grow and act more maturely.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I don't know who / what SHS is, but can you understand the difference between "you are a crybaby" and "grow up and get over it"? One is utterly-unhelpful name-calling. The other is a suggestion to help someone grow and act more maturely.
I understand that the above is a distinction without a difference.

(SHS=Sarah Huckabee Sanders: infamous for explaining to everyone that what was said isn't what was said but actually meant something else entirely.)
Old 11-02-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
You implied that they were immature people who cried over something they shouldn't be crying about.

The distinction between that and "cry-baby" seems to be made without any difference.

But I believe you that these two things are distinct and different to you.

But, as an outside observer, they seem at least roughly synonymous.

I'm willing to concede that you just meant an immature person who gets upset over something they shouldn't get upset about.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
You implied that they were immature people who cried over something they shouldn't be crying about.

The distinction between that and "cry-baby" seems to be made without any difference.

But I believe you that these two things are distinct and different to you.

But, as an outside observer, they seem at least roughly synonymous.

I'm willing to concede that you just meant an immature person who gets upset over something they shouldn't get upset about.
I think they are immature people who cry over something that they shouldn't be crying about. The distinction I was attempting to make was between just telling them that ("telling them they're cry-babies"), which seems doomed to accomplish very little vs encouraging them to move past the trauma they're feeling at seeing the "It's OK to be white" signs and focus on more important things, which I view as a fairly constructive suggestion.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:36 PM

It's 4chan -- they try this shit all the time. They're the ones who came up with the whole "OK gesture = White Power". They want to see if people will actually fall for it. It's best to ignore them.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 11-02-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I think they are immature people who cry over something that they shouldn't be crying about. The distinction I was attempting to make was between just telling them that ("telling them they're cry-babies"), which seems doomed to accomplish very little vs encouraging them to move past the trauma they're feeling at seeing the "It's OK to be white" signs and focus on more important things, which I view as a fairly constructive suggestion.
FWIW, I agree that, "It's OK to be white" on 4chan isn't anything worth responding to or getting worked up about.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Salute them, because this is one of the most awesome instances of trolling I have seen in a long time. This thread here and the reaction elsewhere is exactly what they want, and it amuses me to no end how people are swallowing it hook, line and sinker.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:37 PM

4chan has also convinced people that microwaving their iphones is a good way to charge the battery. It's safe to say that people who take them seriously aren't exactly the brightest bulbs in the chandelier.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
FWIW, I agree that, "It's OK to be white" on 4chan isn't anything worth responding to or getting worked up about.
It's actually much broader than this.

NOTHING on 4chan is worth responding to or getting worked up about.

If the most effective response to a troll is not feeding him, merely visiting that hive of scum and villainy is volunteering to slop the pigs at a huge stinky pig farm.

In other words: "Forget it, Jake. It's 4chan."

Last edited by gnoitall; 11-02-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:13 PM

Here's a response from the Dean of Students at Harvard:

https://i.imgur.com/fwlss4V.png

and now someone is writing it on money now
Old 11-02-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Here's a response from the Dean of Students at Harvard
Seems measured and reasonable to me, granting for the sake of argument that a response was necessary at all.
Muad'Dib - DAMN YOU BRYAN EKERS !!!!!!!!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Seems measured and reasonable to me, granting for the sake of argument that a response was necessary at all.
I agree. Her response was about as bland and unobjectionable as the stickers that inspired it. She's trying to be reassuring to upset students. That's her job.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Senior Geek
Charter Member

Quote:

A roll-eyes smiley?
Old 11-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
It is, yes. Nobody expresses white pride except to imply the inferiority of non-whites.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
It is, yes. Nobody expresses white pride except to imply the inferiority of non-whites.
Do you take the message "It's okay to be white" as either an expression of white pride or an implication of the inferiority of non-whites? Or was this post referring to other, more explicit messages not discussed in the OP?
Old 11-10-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Do you take the message "It's okay to be white" as either an expression of white pride or an implication of the inferiority of non-whites? Or was this post referring to other, more explicit messages not discussed in the OP?
I see it as a completely useless thing to say since I'm not aware of anyone saying that it isn't ok to be white. So I'm not sure who this statement is supposed to be contradicting. It is akin to saying "it's ok to breathe air" or "it's ok to live on Earth", or "water is wet".
Old 11-10-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Do you take the message "It's okay to be white" as either an expression of white pride or an implication of the inferiority of non-whites? . . .
In context, the latter is obviously what is intended. It's the same as "All lives matter." Without context, yes, obviously true; in context, obviously a rebuttal, discounting the claim that Black Lives Matter.

We're also talking about a forum where the N-Word is used very widely.

Last edited by Trinopus; 11-10-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
I see it as a completely useless thing to say since I'm not aware of anyone saying that it isn't ok to be white. So I'm not sure who this statement is supposed to be contradicting. It is akin to saying "it's ok to breathe air" or "it's ok to live on Earth", or "water is wet".
Exactly. The statement makes no sense unless one buys into RW propaganda about how straight white christian males are under constant attack and may be the most oppressed group ever in the history of the world. Since that's not consistent with objective reality, one must be a racist to believe it. Ergo, only a racist would say "it's ok to be white."
Old 11-10-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
That seems a bit discriminatory based on skin color though. The statement also seems like it’s based on circular logic.

We have all sorts of groups expressing group identity pride. Not sure saying “ok” is prideful though. So, it’s no surprise other groups want to jump on the bandwagon.

Last edited by octopus; 11-10-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I see it as a completely useless thing to say since I'm not aware of anyone saying that it isn't ok to be white. So I'm not sure who this statement is supposed to be contradicting. ...
I think the statement is almost certainly intended to infuriate SJWs and nothing more. And I don't have a cite for the precise phrase 'it isn't ok to be white', but there are enough examples of people saying things like this or this that I could see how reassuring people that it's okay to be white isn't entirely unreasonable.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:24 PM

One way is to stop creating an environment in which some white people feel - fairly or unfairly - that they are discriminated against.

Also, people don't usually "check their privilege." They just don't. Suppose a Ferrari owner lives in a neighborhood of Chevys and Fords and has to hear people talking about "Ferrari privilege." Chances are, he won't think, "Well, I am already lucky to own a $400,000 Ferrari when everyone else drives secondhand pickups and sedans." He may instead think, "Wow, they really don't like me due to who I am."
Old 11-10-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I think the statement is almost certainly intended to infuriate SJWs and nothing more. And I don't have a cite for the precise phrase 'it isn't ok to be white', but there are enough examples of people saying things like this or this that I could see how reassuring people that it's okay to be white isn't entirely unreasonable.
As a white guy, all those tweet links do is make me laugh and roll my eyes. People shouldn't be so sensitive to what one (or two) lunatics say on social media. Besides if we want to play that game there is plenty of crazy on all sides of the social media spectrum, where will it lead us as a society to give credence to and worry about it all.

Here's my statement then: It's ok to be whoever you are

Can everyone just agree to that and we can all go about our business?
Old 11-10-2017, 02:32 PM

it's just a bunch of college kids fuckin with ya. they want you to be outraged. apparently it's working.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
As a white guy, all those tweet links do is make me laugh and roll my eyes.
Same for me. IDGAF what they say.

Quote:
People shouldn't be so sensitive to what one (or two) lunatics say on social media.
I agree. They also shouldn't be so sensitive to a few stickers making the bland assertion that "it's okay to be white".

Quote:
Besides if we want to play that game there is plenty of crazy on all sides of the social media spectrum, where will it lead us as a society to give credence to and worry about it all.
I'm aware that there are crazy people all over the political spectrum. My post wasn't an attempt to deny that reality, but to clarify for you (at least one possibility) "... who this statement is supposed to be contradicting."

Quote:
Here's my statement then: It's ok to be whoever you are

Can everyone just agree to that and we can all go about our business?
I'm good with that.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I'm aware that there are crazy people all over the political spectrum. My post wasn't an attempt to deny that reality, but to clarify for you (at least one possibility) "... who this statement is supposed to be contradicting."
So crazy people contradicting some other crazy people. Sounds about right. Yeah I couldn't really care less either.

Quote:
I'm good with that.
Cool.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Um, read that second article again. It seems to be satire. (Pretty good satire, too)

Last edited by Guinastasia; 11-10-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
One way is to stop creating an environment in which some white people feel - fairly or unfairly - that they are discriminated against.
We're working on it. The first step, ISTM, is getting more white people to recognize that a lot of white people automatically feel discriminated against whenever there's any kind of challenge to their traditionally privileged status.

Since white people are in the process of losing (I hope irreversibly) our traditionally privileged status vis-a-vis nonwhite people, the first adjustment we need to make is to learn that a decrease in our privilege doesn't automatically mean we're being discriminated against.