Old 02-24-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
All across America, people are sending Xfinity/Comcast an extra five or ten dollars as an expression of their gratitude.
And they tearfully told tRump about it, addressing him as “sir.”
Old 02-24-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
I wonder if the same person glued MAGA hats on the heads of the 1980 US Olympic hockey team.
That's a major success story of the Trump presidency: the glue industry is thriving! (And sales of Photoshop, too.)
Old 02-25-2020, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Will Individual 1 demand beef with all of his meals in India?
There are a fair number of news articles discussing that very point, because obviously this is the most important thing at the moment. And FoxNews is mocking CNN for "being obsessed" with Trump's food, although I'm not sure the channel that reported obsessively about the Tan Suit, the Coffee Salute, and the fact that Obama likes Dijon mustard is well-placed to criticize.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Yes. Yes you are.

What does an elevator do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
You wait forever for it to come.
tweak

It takes forever to come.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:57 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Well, Trump's pet fool, Limbaugh, just bleated this nonsense:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unamerican Dung
“Now, I want to tell you the truth about the coronavirus. ... I’m dead right on this. The coronavirus is the common cold, folks.”

Of course he also asserted another bit of nonsense about it:

Quote:
From the link above:

Citing a debunked conspiracy theory, Limbaugh then claimed the disease was probably a “laboratory experiment” conducted by Chinese officials that is “in the process of being weaponized.”

I wonder if it's inappropriate now to refer to lung cancer as nothing but a bit of congestion.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:58 AM

So it's both the common cold and a laboratory-created bioweapon? OK.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
And a floor wax and a dessert topping!
Old 02-25-2020, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Contradictory conspiracy beliefs are apparently a thing.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post

Of course he also asserted another bit of nonsense about it:

I wonder if it's inappropriate now to refer to lung cancer as nothing but a bit of congestion.
Why not? Concussions are just headaches.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:51 PM

I'm sure Rush already has a stockpile of forsythia and thus isn't worried at all.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:31 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Quote:
And a floor wax and a dessert topping!
But does it make mounds & mounds of delicious cole slaw?
Old 02-25-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Why not? Concussions are just headaches.
True, not serious like bone spurs.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:32 PM

Naturally,

Quote:
(Menace-to-Society) said on Tuesday the U.S. stock market will crash if he loses the election this year …(telling) business leaders stocks will jump higher if he is re-elected, but “if I don’t win you’re going to see a crash like you’ve never seen before.”
Old 02-25-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTimes
He said his administration planned to announce tax cuts for the middle class in the not too distant future.
Sure. Right. He said that before the midterms, and it was a lie then, too.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:13 PM

So Donald and his leech daughter got to pose in front of the Taj Mahal that he didn't bankrupt. And he's upset that those exposed to Corona got to reenter the US. And he thinks that two Supreme Court justices have an obligation to recuse themselves of any matter that involves him. In just over eight months we either get rid of this louse or he becomes dictator for life.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretful Porpentine View Post
Contradictory conspiracy beliefs are apparently a thing.
Leave it to Fretful Porpentine to bring a scholarly paper to a Pit thread.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:34 PM

Apparently the President and his wife did not even taste the Indian food they were given at one meal Link. However, I don't know why they would make broccoli samosas. Apparently everybody disliked them and it seems to me that Trump would be more comfortable with potato-filled ones.
In other news, Ronnie Jackson says he tried to hide the ice cream and to secretly add cauliflower to the President's mashed potatoes to get him to eat more healthfully since apparently our President is 5.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Broccoli and corn in a samosa sounds horrible and a really dumb idea.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

The funniest thing was a story on NPR where an Indian chef said corn and broccoli should not be used because they are not native to India, as opposed to potatoes
Old 02-25-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Sure. Right. He said that before the midterms, and it was a lie then, too.
Perhaps not, though. It all depends on how you define "middle class". ISTR a graphic attributed to the Rs which seemed to put the centerline of middle class somewhere in the neighborhood of $400K/year (about a decade ago).
Old 02-25-2020, 08:41 PM

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/25/80917...-involving-him

And now it begins: the executive attempting to control the judiciary.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Perhaps not, though. It all depends on how you define "middle class". ISTR a graphic attributed to the Rs which seemed to put the centerline of middle class somewhere in the neighborhood of $400K/year (about a decade ago).
There was no additional tax cut in 2018 for the middle class or anyone else.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:38 AM

And now the vindictive toddler-in-chief is trying to intimidate and harass jurors. Seriously, why is this clown still president?
Old 02-26-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
And now the vindictive toddler-in-chief is trying to intimidate and harass jurors. Seriously, why is this clown still president?
Because for about 30% of the population, if he shat in their living room they'd be honored to spoon it up and eat it and then lick the spoon. And you have one party that is absolutely terrified of that 30% and have learned that anything but uninterrupted adoration is political suicide.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
In other news, Ronnie Jackson says he tried to hide the ice cream and to secretly add cauliflower to the President's mashed potatoes to get him to eat more healthfully since apparently our President is 5.
Pity the poor staffer stuck with feeding duty: "Here comes Air Force One! Vroom vroom! Open wide!!"
Old 02-26-2020, 12:01 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Pity the poor staffer stuck with feeding duty: "Here comes Air Force One! Vroom vroom! Open wide!!"
That has also been heard coming from The Presidential Bedroom.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
That has also been heard coming from The Presidential Bedroom.

But Melania doesn't sleep with him anymore...! How could that be coming from The Presidential Bedroom? The only person around was Iva... oh, now That's Gross!!!
Old 02-26-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundane Super Hero View Post
But Melania doesn't sleep with him anymore...! How could that be coming from The Presidential Bedroom? The only person around was Iva... oh, now That's Gross!!!
She uses the most recent model – steely dan #45. Steam-powered.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
... In just over eight months we either get rid of this louse or he becomes dictator for life.
Worse case, 4 more years. Then he's out. Really. For real, then he's out, if it comes to 4 more. But after that, he's really truly out of there. Seriously.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Just to clarify on this, as it sounds like someone with a brain made the mistake of trying to communicate something to Limbaugh at some point:

Coronaviruses are responsible for around 10-20% of what we group as "the common cold". Most adults will have experienced several coronavirus infections.

COVID-19 however, while a coronavirus, has too severe symptoms and mortality to be lumped together with the common cold.
That said, the hyperbole in much of the news reporting has been insane IMO. (And while I'd like to elaborate on what I mean, there are already multiple threads hashing this out, so I'll leave it at that)
Old 02-26-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
...That said, the hyperbole in much of the news reporting has been insane IMO.
In just a few minutes the Liar-in-Chief will be adding to the misinformation floating around:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...to-coronavirus
Old 02-26-2020, 07:39 PM

Individual 1 said "only 15 people have come down with the virus in the US." That's just trying to make things seem better, because there are a lot of people in the US who have it, they just didn't contract it here.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:17 PM

Since Individual-2 has now been put in charge of dealing with the virus plague thing, it is my understanding that he will push for an executive order declaring the virus illegal and anyone caught in possession of it is to be sent to a camp for conversion therapy to make them aware that they are not really infected.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Since Individual-2 has now been put in charge of dealing with the virus plague thing, it is my understanding that he will push for an executive order declaring the virus illegal and anyone caught in possession of it is to be sent to a camp for conversion therapy to make them aware that they are not really infected.
When he was Governor of Indiana and there was an outbreak HIV in one country in Indiana, he said he was going to go home and pray on it.

"Pastor" Rick Wiles said that all China needs to do to end coronavirus is to convert to Christianity.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:12 PM

Just as Trump was babbling about second amendment rights (in answer to a question about how the corona virus might impact our economy), a man was killing 5 people (and himself) in a Milwaukee workplace with a gun.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:14 PM

Bill Barr said a lot of dumb & evil shit today.
Quote:
U.S. Attorney General William Barr warned a group of Christian broadcasters on Wednesday that the decline of religion in America is undermining liberal democracy. In a speech at the National Religious Broadcasters convention in Tennessee, Barr said religion is necessary to provide citizens with a moral compass. Without religious morality, tyranny is necessary to control people, he said.

Barr told an audience of a few hundred that the courts’ misinterpretation of the Constitution’s Establishment Clause is helping drive the erosion of religion “and its benevolent influence on our communal life.”

“While most everyone agrees that we must have separation of church and state, this does not require that we drive religion from the public square and affirmatively use government power to promote a culture of disbelief,” he said to applause.

Barr also asserted that progressives want to use public benefits to create a permanent and dependent political constituency.

“The tacit goal of this project is to convert all of us into 25-year-olds living in the government’s basement, focusing our energies on obtaining a larger allowance rather than getting a job, and moving out and and taking responsibility for ourselves,” Barr said to enthusiastic applause.
I really like the subtle way he said "go ahead and kill atheists".

Betsy DeVos was there too:
Quote:
Speaking to the convention earlier in the day, U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos said religious schools and colleges should be able to receive government support on an equal footing with public and other non-religious institutions. To that end, she recently proposed a federal tax credit that would help fund scholarships for private K-12 schools. Many public school advocates oppose the plan.

The audience cheered her assertion that too many children are not being allowed to express their religious faith in school.

Asked how her religious faith influences her work, DeVos said, “It basically is foundational to everything that I do. It does inform all my days, all of my decisions.”
I'm guessing she's very glad that she can pick and choose what to believe and obey from minute to minute; that's gotta make things easier.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-26-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He's putting the guy in charge who fucked over HIV patients in his home state by cutting funding for their treatment and support, sparking an HIV outbreak? Doesn't seem to bode well. What's he going to do, pray for them to get better or just take them out and shoot them?
Old 02-26-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Individual 1 said "only 15 people have come down with the virus in the US." That's just trying to make things seem better, because there are a lot of people in the US who have it, they just didn't contract it here.

As of 23 February 2020, there are 53 cases in the United States.

Quote:

I guess that's what the incompetent-in-chief meant when he said the other day that he hadd "the corona virus completely under control".

Quote:
When he was Governor of Indiana and there was an outbreak HIV in one country in Indiana, he said he was going to go home and pray on it.

"Pastor" Rick Wiles said that all China needs to do to end coronavirus is to convert to Christianity.

Yeah, that worked out really well the last time there was a Chinese government saying they were Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Just as Trump was babbling about second amendment rights (in answer to a question about how the corona virus might impact our economy), a man was killing 5 people (and himself) in a Milwaukee workplace with a gun.
&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
He's putting the guy in charge who fucked over HIV patients in his home state by cutting funding for their treatment and support, sparking an HIV outbreak? Doesn't seem to bode well. What's he going to do, pray for them to get better or just take them out and shoot them?

Hey, I wonder if the incompetent-in-chief can put these two incidents together and say that's the way to "completely control" the situation.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I call Excluded Middle! Clearly the reasonable option you've left out is to build concentration camps for those who test positive for the virus and hold them there indefinitely.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
God created coronavirus and so God will cure coronavirus.*

*Apocryphal quote from former Washington, DC mayor Marion Barry about the city's snow removal policy: ~"The Lord brought the snow, the Lord will take it away." The joke was Barry's snow removal policy was "spring".
Old 02-26-2020, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
One assumes he'll be solving the Caronavirus in his spare time while he's not running that Religious Liberty Task Force.

Last edited by Smapti; 02-26-2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:47 PM

"Mike Pence has been my most loyal servant. Let me hand this pandemic off to him. I'm sure there are still some career civil servants in the federal government around that can help out with that, right? Hey Mike, don't fuck it up!"
Old 02-27-2020, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
"Mike Pence has been my most loyal servant. Let me hand this pandemic off to him. I'm sure there are still some career civil servants in the federal government around that can help out with that, right? Hey Mike, don't fuck it up!"

Ahem...let's "religionize" the comment.

For verily hath my servant Michael been the most loyal of servants. Therefor hath I, in my divine capacity, handeth this plague to him so that he can muster the minions of earthly government. And I issueth to him a warning: Michael, do not turn this into more of a cluster than it already hath become.

And now to "trumpize it".

Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, build a fortune - mike Pence has been my most loyal servant. Which, in all fairness, let me hand this pandemic off to him. I've said if Ivanka weren't my daughter, perhaps I'd be dating her. Now if you remember, i'm sure there are still some career civil servants in the federal government around that can help out with that, right? I've said this before and I'll say it again, hey Mike, don't fuck it up! We're going to make America great again.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I guess trump put the best brain he had available on the problem, amirite?
Old 02-27-2020, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
God created coronavirus
Either that, or Hillary created coronavirus in a secret lab in the basement of Comet Ping Pong Pizza.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

The Trump administration is telling Congressional Democrats that unless they cut subsidies for heat from low-income people, he will continue to hold up emergency funding to prepare the US for its possibility.

Talk about weaponizing a biological agent.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

The CDC has identified a new case of coronavirus in California, origin unknown at this time.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-27-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I guess trump put the best brain he had available on the problem, amirite?
He might as well put Pence on the job; as far as I can tell, he's done fuck-all since taking office to justify his government paycheck. Normally, VP's are given *some* project to keep them busy; like "reducing government waste" or "going to the moon". I literally can't think of a single thing Pence has done, other than gaze at Trump adoringly.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
The Trump administration is telling Congressional Democrats that unless they cut subsidies for heat from low-income people, he will continue to hold up emergency funding to prepare the US for its possibility.

Talk about weaponizing a biological agent.
What - again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snopes
It’s true that the Trump administration axed the executive branch team responsible for coordinating a response to a pandemic and did not replace it
Quote:
Legum stated in a follow-up tweet, “Trump also cut funding for the CDC, forcing the CDC to cancel its efforts to help countries prevent infectious-disease threats from becoming epidemics in 39 of 49 countries in 2018. Among the countries abandoned? China.” That was confirmed in 2018 reports saying that funding for the CDC’s global disease outbreak prevention efforts were cut by 80%, which included the agency’s efforts in China.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:49 AM

I think it was on another board where some body was celebrating those cuts - why should the US spend money preventing people in other countries from getting sick.

It is well know that pathogens are strict respecters of national boundaries, dating all the way back to the Black Plague (and undoubtedly before that).