Old 02-26-2020, 03:08 PM

Foods and beverages you didn't used to like but now do

The thread for people who hate coffee got me thinking about how I used to hate the smell of coffee. Then one day when I was around 20, I suddenly noticed that I had started to like the smell of coffee so I decided to try some. I liked it and have been an avid coffee drinker ever since. In fact, the wallpaper on my computer is currently a picture of coffee beans.

I used to not like tomatoes and pickles. Then at different times, I forgot to remove each of them from a burger I was eating and realized that I liked them. As I've gotten older, I find my self reevaluating what foods I like and don't like. What are some foods you used to hate but now like?
Old 02-26-2020, 03:14 PM

I used to really dislike raw onions as a kid- they were spicy and intense. As I got older, I just didn't like the flavor all that much. Eventually though, I've come to appreciate them on some dishes- in particular tacos, hamburgers and sandwiches. I'm not likely to just eat a chunk of raw onion like my grandfather did, but I will ask for them on sub sandwiches or hamburgers now.

Still not terribly fond of raw tomatoes or sweet potatoes though. At best I tolerate sweet potatoes in things, and I will still pick raw tomatoes off/out of dishes.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:15 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I used to hate cabbage and hot & spicy stuff. Then* I was introduced to egg rolls and Chinese mustard.

* Full disclosure: I'm talking about 1989 or so here, so "used to" really is "used to."
Old 02-26-2020, 03:16 PM

I'm glad you liked my thread!

I can only think of foods that I used to like but now hate - red, yellow and green peppers, and cilantro.

I can honestly say that there is no food out there that I used to hate but now like. I've even tried durian which I absolutely love the taste of but hate the smell, and spinach, in a salad or cooked, I love it. I also love chicken feet. Go figure.

Last edited by dan39; 02-26-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:43 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I used to avoid pepperoni on pizza as a kid, assuming it was too spicy for me. By my late teens I made my peace with pepperoni and for the most part it's not too spicy.

Now I'm 40 and pepperoni is too hard on my stomach so I'm back to cheese pizza again. Groan.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:45 PM

I never liked steak or coffee growing up. Turns out my parents always overcooked my steak and bought bad coffee. Didn't like Ethiopian food or sushi until the 3rd or 4th time I tried them.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:53 PM

Harvard beets, I'm still not a fan but they're ok
Old 02-26-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
I never liked steak or coffee growing up. Turns out my parents always overcooked my steak and bought bad coffee. Didn't like Ethiopian food or sushi until the 3rd or 4th time I tried them.
Similarly I thought I hated fish growing up - turns out my mother just didn't know how to cook fish
Old 02-26-2020, 03:54 PM

Lamb. My mom used to use ground lamb to make lamb patties. Must have been cheaper than beef. I hated it. Hated the smell of it.

Now, I do love a good bloody lamp chop.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:55 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Oh yeah same for me with steak. My dad likes everything dry and overcooked. It wasn't until college that I realized meat could be pretty good.

For the longest time too I thought liver was steak. Mom served liver to us when we were super broke and told us it was steak. I was in middle school when I realized steak was something else (but still tough burnt shoe leather at that point).
Old 02-26-2020, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

NM.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 02-26-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:01 PM

Mayonnaise. As a kid I used to refuse to eat anything with mayo on it, except for tuna salad. Now I've come to like mayo on sandwiches and burgers and such. And I still like it in tuna salad and potato salad. Although I also realized a few years ago that my mom usually buys Miracle Whip. So it might be that I didn't like Miracle Whip (I still don't) but thought I didn't like mayonnaise because I didn't know there was a difference.

Raw onion for me as well. I still don't like a lot of onion in things, but I can appreciate a a little raw onion in something like a Greek salad, and I've started adding a bit of chopped red onion to my tuna salad. And I don't mind it on a burger if it's just a thin slice, although I still prefer grilled onions on my burgers if it's an option.

I've heard that your taste buds are more sensitive when you're a kid, so bitter flavors are more noticeable and strong flavors like onion taste even stronger. Which probably explains why kids don't like things like coffee, broccoli, beer, raw onions, etc, and adults do.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:14 PM

Tomato in non-sauce forms.

Still would rather not have it as a topping on a burger or non-club sandwich, but most places where it's mixed into a cooked food, or in salads (or club sandwiches), I'm good with it.

White sauces (other than mayo and Miracle Whip)...I'm...not sure why, but they always creeped me out.

Vegetable soup is one that I loved at one point, then, after attempting to eat it with heat stroke, and thus very, very ill, I couldn't even look at it for a long time. Now I quite enjoy it again.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Beer! Couldn't even stand the smell of the stuff when I was a teen and didn't try any until my thirties.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:16 PM

The smell of steamed shrimp would make me physically ill as a child. Now? You'd best clear the way to the buffet table.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 02-26-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Similarly I thought I hated fish growing up - turns out my mother just didn't know how to cook fish
^ This, for me. Also greens. Mom just didn't cook them the way I liked them.

But for something that I genuinely did not like in the past but now do like: sweet potatoes. I absolutely loathed them as a kid. Now I eat them all the time. Not sure when the switch got flipped, but it did.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:54 PM

I am still a picky eater (and a vegetarian for almost 25 years), but as a child I almost ate nothing when I think back. The three big ones were onions, cheese or mushrooms in any form. Now I can't imagine surviving without those three.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 02-26-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My family were not adventurous eaters. It wasn’t until I moved to the east coast for college that I realized garlic came in heads.

I visited my sisters back in Cleveland last summer and brought Brooklyn bagels and nova salmon. They enjoyed the bagels, but the smoked fish confused them. One of them said she had been served Korean food at a party, which she picked at and then stopped with her friend for hamburgers on the way home.

SO fucking glad I got out of there.

As for stuff I like now that I didn’t....I really can’t think of any. I had an open-minded palate even as a kid, limited only by what my mother would serve.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

I loathed olives as a kid, but every year or so I'd try one just to be sure they were as horrifyingly nasty as I'd remembered.

When I was fifteen, I tried one, and closed my eyes in overpowered delight. Holy crap, these were GOOD!

I've never looked back.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

I despised brussels sprouts until about 15 years ago. Now I've come to love them, when prepared properly (oven roasted with olive oil and garlic is one lovely way of doing so).

Eggplant was nasty until it turned delicious, too.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I despised brussels sprouts until about 15 years ago. Now I've come to love them, when prepared properly (oven roasted with olive oil and garlic is one lovely way of doing so).
Welcome (belatedly) to the Brussels Sprouts Appreciation Society. We have a special membership offer on for converts who previously only knew the mushy brussels sprouts characteristic of cafeteria steam tables.

I didn't drink coffee until I was past 40. Then it became a breakfast staple. Haven't gotten into iced coffee yet, though.

Still can't abide the thought of bleeding purple beets, hot or cold. I learned to dread them when they were inflicted on me at school. Other colors of beet, fine, though I don't seek them out.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 02-26-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

I didn't like cheese as a kid. Now I eat a lot of it. Of course, when I was a kid, it was American cheese, which still tastes awful. I'll go with swiss, cheddar, boursin, or anything but American.

I also discovered I like bluefish, which I avoided as a kid.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:20 PM

When I was a kid I ate everything that my mom cooked, but I hated the fish. Now I love fish, especially salmon.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:51 PM

Bitter beer and coffee - used to be a wine and soft drinks guy.

I'm getting old and bitter.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
When I was a kid I ate everything that my mom cooked, but I hated the fish. Now I love fish, especially salmon.
True story: I got a stomach virus and barfed up fish and chocolate cake when I was 10 years old (sorry for the graphics). It took me 5 years before I'd touch either again.

Now I love both.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:59 PM

Lots of them.

Mushrooms, but I think the reason why is the name 'MUSHROOMS'. I used to imagine a room where they MUSHED some sort of toadstool.

When I very young I didn't like Strawberries. Again probably word association with STRAW. Straw is bedding material for livestock.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:13 PM

One time when I was about four and had some sort of childhood respiratory infection, my Dad gave me a shot of whiskey to drink. I found it the worst thing I'd ever tasted in my short life.

Now I don't find it quite so bad.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 02-26-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:34 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Raw tomatoes growing up. Now I eat them fresh off the vine, warmed by the sun.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Never liked cream cheese, avocados, green olives, sweet pickles, onions; ah hell, I was a picky kid. I now like all of the above, especially homemade pickles, and Castelvetrano olives.

I still won't eat beets or Brussels sprouts, and don't see that ever changing.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:16 PM

Blue cheese was too strong, now I love it.

Mom used to destroy eggplant, now eggplant parm is wonderfulness.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:24 PM

Never liked coffee or scotch, for 40 years. Then I started teaching (emotionally draining during the day, staying up late grading and worrying at night)... Suddenly they're both comfort food.

But I still think they're both too bitter, especially the cheap stuff.

So I'm cursed with needing coffee, but only the good stuff.

Last edited by digs; 02-26-2020 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:38 PM

I wasn't a big fan of rice or mashed potatoes, although I would eat them. I know now that I was served Minute Rice and Potato Buds; the latter are really meant to be a thickener for soup or casseroles, and Minute Rice? UGH! Use a rice cooker and prepare the REAL thing.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:06 AM

I disliked this thread at first, but ...

I used to not like mushrooms primarily because some of them are poisonous and that scared me. I have overcome the fear and do now quite appreciate them.

By contrast, I used to adore tomato juice. Drank it all the time. Then one day, my mother made a tomato aspic. Which might not have been a problem, except, it had green bell pepper in it. I hated those things back then, though now they merely make me gag convulsively. Needless to say, tomato juice lost its appeal and it has not gotten better.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:07 AM

As a kid, I disliked being served fish because it involved meticulously removing tiny bones. (I would have to flake the fish bit by bit to remove each bone, and even that wasn't foolproof, leading to a lot of messy work with my tongue, lips, and fingers to eject bones from my mouth.) Once I grew up, moved out, and started cooking for myself, I realized that it was just my parents, or whoever they were getting the fish from, who weren't properly fileting the fish. Most of the filets I bought already had (almost) all the bones removed, and most of the whole fish I bought I was pretty adept at removing the bones myself en masse.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:16 AM

Dark beer, i.e. stouts and porters. When I was a college student, people at parties overwhelmingly drank cheap macro brews: Miller Lite, Budweiser, Coors, that sort of thing. At one party somebody was drinking a stout, possibly Guiness - and the rest of us were in shock. Other folks - including me - were trying it and all laughing at how awful it tasted. Fast forward ten years, and dark brews had somehow become a major part of my beer palate.

Milk:
When I was a little kid, I used 2% or whole milk. My older siblings had moved on to skim milk, but I was disgusted by how watery it looked; I actually cried one morning when I accidently poured it (instead of my usual 2%) on my cereal. As an adult, I pretty much exclusively use skim milk on my cereal. 2% seems rich, and whole milk feels like drinking paint.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:22 AM

I'm a picky "plain eater". There are a lot of things I don't like, but there are a few foods that I've decided are ok to good in the last 15 years or so. (A lot of the foods I say I don't like, I have never tasted!)

I wouldn't eat tomatoes unless it was spaghetti or pizza sauce. I especially hated hunks of cooked tomatoes in soups and sauces. Now I love raw tomatoes and have recently decided that I can handle a hunk of cooked tomato.

Spinach always seemed nasty to me. I never even tried it until maybe 10 years ago. Now, I love raw spinach and I'm good with cooked spinach in soup. I don't think I'd eat a glop of mucky canned or cooked spinach on its own though.

I finally tried broccoli about 5 years ago. I like it both cooked and raw.

I finally tried stuffing about 15 years ago. I was convinced I wouldn't like it. But I do!

There's still a very long list of food items that I claim I don't like even though I haven't tried them. At this point, I don't think I will ever try or like them.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

I've never been a picky eater (even stuff I don't like, I'll eat again), but a few things took a few tries for me to get down and truly enjoy:

Cilantro -- I was one of those "soapy" tasters, but after about four or five goes at it, I got used to it and it's one of my favorite herbs. I still taste the "soapiness," but it doesn't bug me.

Marmite (& variants)- hated it the first time I tried it, but it's because I was expecting something Nutella-like based on its appearance and context (served on toast for breakfast.) That said, I was strangely intrigued by it and, like above, after a few goes, I goddamn love the stuff. Just received four jars of its cousin Vegemite a couple weeks ago, and I'm almost through the first jar.

Capers - weird tasting, briny ingredient the first few times I had it, and now a staple of my tuna salads.

Sushi - just never really seemed like "food" to me initially. I had a girlfriend who loved sushi, and I'd go out, eat some nigiri and maki, complain (to myself) about it being "cat found" and then want to go out to McDonald's to get something that felt substantial to me. (Oh, how different I am now -- sushi can fill me up easily.) Then I had a wealthy Japanese student (back when I taught English on the side) take me out to basically unlimited otoro (fatty tuna) nigiri (in addition to anything else I wanted) and I was hooked.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
I'm a picky "plain eater". There are a lot of things I don't like, but there are a few foods that I've decided are ok to good in the last 15 years or so. (A lot of the foods I say I don't like, I have never tasted!)
There's still a very long list of food items that I claim I don't like even though I haven't tried them. At this point, I don't think I will ever try or like them.
TRC4941, some would say you should try more foods on your long list. You're probably missing out on many yummy treats!

Anyway, I'll always try something once to see if it's good.
I think I read on this board that acquired tastes are Stockholm syndrome for the taste buds. I find this works best if the beverage in question has a strong visceral/psychoactive reward to mitigate the initially unpleasant taste, such as with coffee and beer.

There are foods or combinations thereof I hated when I was a child that I like now or maybe just don't hate as much. Brussels sprouts are one of them. If they tasted like wee cabbages all would be fine, but they never did. Now, they aren't as bad and sometimes even taste quite good. Onions used to ruin a pizza but now they're fine (this is a certain combination thing- I like onions, they just didn't work on a pizza for me). One bite of a sweet potato tasted so bad it would would make me vomit when I was young. Now it merely tastes gross.

Unless my taste buds wither and I become anosmic, cilantro will forever be vile and despised.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Icomplain (to myself) about it being "cat found"
*cat food, of course.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

For those unaware: there's more to your changed opinion of Brussels sprouts than your taste buds maturing. They've been flavor-engineered.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
I used to dislike most food period, unless we ate out or at a friend's or neighbor's house. I'm dead serious. It looked bad, tasted bad, and smelled bad. I was quite scrawny. It turns out my mother didn't know how to cook, period. Eating at her mother's was no better.

Thankfully I was able to break free of those chains and I became, and still am, a wide-pallete, certifiable food freak.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:33 AM

Another vote for mushrooms - as a kid the smell of them cooking would make me retch, and now I love them. As noted above, your tastes change as you get older, which leads to a side question: do you go out of your way to eat foods that you know you don't like, just in case you like them now? Mussels (and for that matter, shellfish in general) is something that I'm actively working on - our visit to Brittany last summer was jokingly known as "Operation Seafood". I'm making progress but we're not there yet - what keeps me going is the though that I might have spent my entire life just assuming that I didn't like mushrooms.

There are also a host of things that I didn't care for as a kid, mostly the usual greens (spinach, cabbage etc) all of which i love now. And there is an additional category of foods I was never exposed to as a kid, which I learned to like when I went to college and subsequently. There are basically two sub-categories of those foods
  • foods which, if you could buy them at all in a small remote town in the north west of England, would have been out of the family's price range (avocados, aubergines, salmon, crab, duck - though many of these are no longer the "luxury" items they once were); and
  • foods which were foreign or otherwise deeply suspicious (all pasta apart from something which went by the name of spaghetti bolognese, all Chinese, all Indian apart from a home made beef curry with sultanas in it, almost everything that included garlic, "spicy food" etc etc)

After I left home, I had a lot to learn to like.

j
Old 02-27-2020, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Spinach. To be fair though, the parental units only ever cooked that awful stuff in a can.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I disliked this thread at first, but ...

I used to not like mushrooms primarily because some of them are poisonous and that scared me. I have overcome the fear and do now quite appreciate them.

.r.
Yep, mushrooms. In fact, if you fry them in steak juices I now love them.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:57 PM

Guacamole. It's not that I didn't like the taste of it; I refused to try it at all because I thought that weird mushy green stuff looked gross. At some point I tried it as an adult and discovered guacamole and avocados in general are actually good.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:29 PM

Curry. My primary school back in the 1970s used to serve up disgusting green gloop called "curry" - think dreadful cheap meat and WWII-surplus curry powder, badly cooked. I loathed it with a passion, and by association the very concept of curry.

Fast forward to first year at university: out drinking with a bunch of fellow first-years who all wanted to go and grab a curry. I went along, slightly dreading the prospect, but not wanting to make a fuss.

Reader: one of the best meals of my life - a total revelation.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:31 PM

Curry. My primary school back in the 1970s used to serve up disgusting green gloop called "curry" - think dreadful cheap meat and WWII-surplus curry powder, badly cooked. I loathed it with a passion, and by association the very concept of curry.

Fast forward to first year at university: out drinking with a bunch of fellow first-years who all wanted to go and grab a curry. I went along, slightly dreading the prospect, but not wanting to make a fuss.

Reader: one of the best meals of my life - a total revelation.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:03 PM

As a kid I hated sauerkraut now I eat it till I can't stand it no more.
I used to eat cheese like a mouse and then one day decided I didn't like it no more. I went years and years and years without eating any kind of cheese that wasn't melted. Pizza, cheeseburgers, and the such was fine but not even on a sub unless it was cooked. then while on vacation I was hungry one night and the only thing in the fridge was a block of Colby-Jack.....I LOVE CHEESE!!!!
Mustard-always thought I hated it up to a couple years ago. Nope it's delicious!
Old 02-27-2020, 03:37 PM

coca-cola, couldn't stand the stuff, or other fizzy pop. Often drink the Diet stuff, now.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I loathed olives as a kid, but every year or so I'd try one just to be sure they were as horrifyingly nasty as I'd remembered.

When I was fifteen, I tried one, and closed my eyes in overpowered delight. Holy crap, these were GOOD!

I've never looked back.
LHOD, posting so I don't have to.