Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 02-25-2020, 09:10 PM
jtur88 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 15,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
They used to have vending machines for cigarettes too when I was younger.
. . . with two pennies change inside the cellophane, because a pack was 23c in shops.
  #302  
Old 02-25-2020, 10:36 PM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 44,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrForrester View Post
My coworkers don't believe me when I tell them that when I grew up, WHITE people bombed the PENTAGON. They survived for nearly a DECADE and most of them were either never caught or were charged with far, far less than they actually did.

The Weathermen

Can you imagine what the political climate would be if there were such a group of people today? I mean, goodness, these people got all worked up about the freaking Unabomber & he was nothing compared to the Weathermen.
IIRC, at one point all or almost all of the FBI's Most Wanted List were left-wing terrorists.
  #303  
Old 02-25-2020, 11:12 PM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 44,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
$24 sounds cheap but the Inflation Calculator says it's the equivalent to $169.70 today.
IIRC the minimum wage was about $1.35/hr. I had a well-paid job as a doorman on Park Avenue and was making $100 a week, so that was a bit more than a day's pay.
  #304  
Old 02-26-2020, 12:11 AM
panache45's Avatar
panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 55,805
My first job, in 1964, paid $60 a week. And that was enough to live in Midtown Manhattan.
  #305  
Old 02-26-2020, 02:47 PM
ftg's Avatar
ftg is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 21,663
Whoa, wrong thread. Back later with something suitable. Ta.

Last edited by ftg; 02-26-2020 at 02:51 PM.
  #306  
Old 02-26-2020, 02:56 PM
Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,292
My son watches "The 70's Show" and asks if things were really like that? (ex. avacado refrigerators and shag carpet)
  #307  
Old 02-26-2020, 03:34 PM
ftg's Avatar
ftg is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 21,663
(Got tripped up by a bunch of 50x errors.)

Anyway ... Here and there I watch an old TV show recorded off one of the retro channels for the fun of it. Last night we watched an episode of The Patty Duke Show from Feb., 1965. The good part: It had Chad and Jeremy as guest stars. The bad part: everything else. Egad, what a load of nothing.

Anyway, I was discussing Chad and Jeremy with Mrs. FtG who was surprised that I was old enough at the time to remember them. So, she doesn't think of me as that old. That's good.

But I had to remind her that this was a year after The Beatles first appeared on Ed Sullivan, which I remember quite well. And going back even further I remember seeing Elvis do Hound Dog on TV. So not as young as she imagines.

Chad and Jeremy? Total n00bs.

(The episode brought up a perhaps unanswerable question: How come this episode wasn't "WKRPed"? They notably play two of their hits and some other stuff. The cost for the rights have to be well outside the budget of these retro stations.)
  #308  
Old 02-26-2020, 03:44 PM
KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 27,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
(The episode brought up a perhaps unanswerable question: How come this episode wasn't "WKRPed"? They notably play two of their hits and some other stuff. The cost for the rights have to be well outside the budget of these retro stations.)
If you can find a station airing it*, WKRP still has the original music, AFAIK. It's the home video versions that mostly can't afford to re-license the music, because it was never licensed for home video.


* Last I knew, WGN was, but I think that's very outdated info.
  #309  
Old 02-26-2020, 03:59 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
They used to have vending machines for cigarettes too when I was younger.
Can you still find them in no-minors venues like bars and strip clubs?
  #310  
Old 02-26-2020, 06:28 PM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 44,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
Can you still find them in no-minors venues like bars and strip clubs?
Apparently there's a few.

That reminded me of another long-gone amenity: the Horn and Hardart Automat. I went to the one in Times Square several times when I was a kid.
  #311  
Old 02-26-2020, 07:53 PM
panache45's Avatar
panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 55,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
That reminded me of another long-gone amenity: the Horn and Hardart Automat. I went to the one in Times Square several times when I was a kid.
I used to have lunch at the Automat every weekday for my first year in NYC. In addition to the great food, they had the best coffee anywhere. My favorite was the one on Fifth Ave. that was a flight downstairs and totally art deco.
  #312  
Old 02-26-2020, 09:02 PM
P-man is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 1,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyester View Post
Remember segregated school grounds in elementary school, boys on one-side, girls on the other.

Riding in the backs of pickup trucks, and it was legal!
I remember my friend and I riding in the back of a pickup going to the drive-in in 1997; our wives were in the cab. It may have been the night son #1 was conceived (not at the drive-in, alas).
  #313  
Old 02-26-2020, 09:07 PM
Polyester is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-man View Post
I remember my friend and I riding in the back of a pickup going to the drive-in in 1997; our wives were in the cab. It may have been the night son #1 was conceived (not at the drive-in, alas).


Went to high-school with a student that left for lunch in the back of a pickup truck and never returned. Driver rolled the truck.

Makes my cringe now to think of all the times us kids rode that way. It was the way, back in the day.
  #314  
Old 02-26-2020, 09:08 PM
outlierrn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: republic of california
Posts: 5,861
I get a lot of mileage out of telling teenagers that we had a dedicated smoking area when I was in high school.
__________________
Just another outlying data point on the bell curve of life
  #315  
Old 02-29-2020, 01:52 PM
Yllaria is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Stockton
Posts: 11,138
In my high school, students could only smoke in the senior patio.
  #316  
Old 02-29-2020, 02:18 PM
panache45's Avatar
panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 55,805
In my high school smoking was not allowed, not only on the school grounds themselves but even across the street on all four sides of the block. I have no idea how they enforced that.
  #317  
Old 03-01-2020, 02:57 PM
Arrendajo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Emerald City South
Posts: 2,376
I remember feeling old when I saw the latest American Girl historical fiction series was set in 1974, the year I graduated from high school.
  #318  
Old 03-04-2020, 05:38 PM
Spectre of Pithecanthropus is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Transplanted!
Posts: 19,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
In my high school smoking was not allowed, not only on the school grounds themselves but even across the street on all four sides of the block. I have no idea how they enforced that.
I'm considerably younger than you but even my school had a senior smoking zone, though you still had to be of legal smoking age (eighteen) in order to use it.

It didn't apply to me since I turned seventeen only a few months before graduating.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
Change your latitude, change your attitude.

Last edited by Spectre of Pithecanthropus; 03-04-2020 at 05:40 PM.
  #319  
Old 03-04-2020, 06:49 PM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 47,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Apparently there's a few.

That reminded me of another long-gone amenity: the Horn and Hardart Automat. I went to the one in Times Square several times when I was a kid.
The Automat on 42nd Street was the first place I ever ate in a restaurant by myself. I think I was in 7th grade.
  #320  
Old 03-04-2020, 08:10 PM
jtur88 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 15,231
Here in the Philippines, I hear the voices of young neighborhood children out playing in the streets well after dark. That brings back wonderful memories of days I am old enough to remember. (It gets dark here at 6 oclock all year.)
  #321  
Old 03-05-2020, 12:49 AM
panache45's Avatar
panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 55,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The Automat on 42nd Street was the first place I ever ate in a restaurant by myself. I think I was in 7th grade.
That was actually the last Automat to close, in 1991.
  #322  
Old 03-05-2020, 01:23 AM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 47,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
That was actually the last Automat to close, in 1991.
Yup. When we went past it one Saturday night just before it it was rented out for a bar mitzvah.

I have the book on the Automat which came out some time ago.
  #323  
Old 03-05-2020, 02:13 AM
glee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Obama country
Posts: 15,912

born in 1953...


...this is my kind of thread!

When I was young, I remember:

- watching the first episode of Doctor Who live (1963.)
And yes, in later episodes my sister and I used to hide behind the couch sometimes because it was so ... scary. (Actually the monster was often just an actor in a rubber suit. )

- having a TV program for kids interrupted by the news of the first Kennedy assassination (1963.)
I didn't know what it meant, so went next door to tell my parents. Of course they were shocked - but I didn't understand. So I began reading newspapers.

My career started when I joined British Telecom in 1974. At the interview they asked if I had any questions.
"What is the pension like?" (I'm chuffed about that! )
Well it was a very good one - and now I've been receiving it for years...

Later I worked as a teacher.
At first, I would occasionally be stopped in the street by former pupils. Fair enough.
Later it would be "You taught my son/daughter."

Finally I agree with other 'elderly' posters about lifestyle:

- I go to bed early and wake up early
- I always know where the nearest bathroom is
- I know far more about my prostate than ever before.
  #324  
Old 03-05-2020, 03:11 AM
jtur88 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 15,231
The modern Zebco spinning reel didn't appear until I was in high school, and I never actually used one. I continued to struggle with backlashes using my old Pfleuger.
  #325  
Old 03-05-2020, 07:26 PM
Balthisar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southeast Michigan, USA
Posts: 11,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
In my high school, students could only smoke in the senior patio.
I'm "only" 48 (and feeling quite old in general, irrespective of this thread), and we had smoking areas for students in my class of '90 high school. It actually seemed ludicrous to me as a transfer student from a better school district, which had no smoking areas. On the other hand, the smoking school was open campus, which was nice, but also seemed ludicrous (but welcome!) compared to what I learned was a closed campus high school (I moved between grades 9 and 10).

In the smoking school, the computer lab was also the teachers' designated smoking lounge, but only after hours. We had a serious journalism program that used the computer lab after hours every, single night, and it was interesting to see students and teachers smoking together in the same room. I didn't smoke until after I graduated, so I never did partake.
  #326  
Old 03-07-2020, 12:09 AM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 41,447
I think of 1888, and it's all pre-electricity cowboys and dusty streets and New York City filled with horses. I think of 1920, with its cars and movie houses and nascent radio and aeroplanes. Feels centuries apart. Yet 1988 and 2020 feel so close together. That sort of makes me feel old.

In 1980, 1940 felt like it was eons before, but now it's the same number of years since 1980, and it feels like yesterday.
__________________
The two most interesting things in the world: Other people's sex lives and your own money.
  #327  
Old 03-07-2020, 03:17 AM
Die Capacitrix's Avatar
Die Capacitrix is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
That it's 2020 is starting to sink in. That means that 1970 was 50 years ago. Several interesting things happened in my life in 1970 or around then. All of that is a half century ago and counting.
The most interesting thing in my life in 1970 was being born.

At one of the companies here they decided to send home all the at-risk people, as one of the workers had been diagnosed with coronavirus. They specifically included everybody over 50, according to a friend whose mother-in-law works there.

I know 50 is a milestone, but I never really thought of it as being part of the at-risk group for influenza, etc. Supposedly I should also get the shingles vaccination.

It's rather sobering.

That said, I'm going to a rock concert for my birthday. Not dead yet.

(Yes, I'll be wearing hearing protection. I'm getting old, not stupid.)
  #328  
Old 03-07-2020, 01:13 PM
BrickBat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: US
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I think of 1888, and it's all pre-electricity cowboys and dusty streets and New York City filled with horses. I think of 1920, with its cars and movie houses and nascent radio and aeroplanes. Feels centuries apart. Yet 1988 and 2020 feel so close together. That sort of makes me feel old.

In 1980, 1940 felt like it was eons before, but now it's the same number of years since 1980, and it feels like yesterday.
But don't forget, back in 1940, the whole world was rendered in black & white. In 1888, not only was the world in B & W, ragtime piano music permeated the atmosphere; that's why everybody back then walked in a rapid scurry. So there's that.

I know what you mean though. Even though perception plays a ( big ) part, I proffer that the advances made from the pre-electricity days till now were not at a linear rate.

Another bit of fun I had was when i was given some old books. Some of them showing artist renditions of what "the future" would be like from a 1920s and 1930 POV. The unanimous view: pretty much like the 1920s and 1930's, except a bit more pointy/streamlined.
  #329  
Old 03-08-2020, 07:46 AM
DrForrester is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
But don't forget, back in 1940, the whole world was rendered in black & white. In 1888, not only was the world in B & W, ragtime piano music permeated the atmosphere; that's why everybody back then walked in a rapid scurry. So there's that.
There's also this rather strange view that sculpture & buildings from the "classical" time frame of Rome & Greece were white. All neo-classical sculptures are white. ... because they completely missed the fact that the originals were painted with wonderful colors, which simply were lost over the centuries. It's only been in the last few decades that anyone has attempted to recreate their original appearance.

Egypt's pyramids were painted as well.

Time travel is often a subject of speculation here abouts. Personally, I think one of the things that would most impress a time traveler is just how much art and ornamentation and color there was in the ancient world.
  #330  
Old 03-08-2020, 09:02 AM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
Another bit of fun I had was when i was given some old books. Some of them showing artist renditions of what "the future" would be like from a 1920s and 1930 POV. The unanimous view: pretty much like the 1920s and 1930's, except a bit more pointy/streamlined.
There's a site Tales of Future Past that is just chock full of "zeerust" depictions of the future, from the early Gernsback days of pulp SF to the fab-mod Space Age monorail future of the '60s and '70s. Lotsa larfs!
  #331  
Old 03-08-2020, 10:10 AM
DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 6,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
My career started when I joined British Telecom in 1974. At the interview they asked if I had any questions.
"What is the pension like?" (I'm chuffed about that! )
My first job after I got out of the navy had a pension and I lasted there to get it fully vested. it was a defense contractor and after the USSR collapsed, peace broke out and I was laid off in 1992. The paperwork I got said the pension would be $278 a month.

Flash forward to 2016 when I was getting ready to retire I dug out the paperwork and followed the trail of conglomerate takeovers and financial restructurings to find, a little to my surprise, yes, the pension was still good. "Great!" I said to myself. "Even at a crummy 3% interest it should have compounded to at least $450 by now." Nope: $278 a month. They must have stuck the money in an old sock somewhere.
  #332  
Old 03-08-2020, 10:14 AM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
My first job after I got out of the navy had a pension and I lasted there to get it fully vested. it was a defense contractor and after the USSR collapsed, peace broke out and I was laid off in 1992. The paperwork I got said the pension would be $278 a month.

Flash forward to 2016 when I was getting ready to retire I dug out the paperwork and followed the trail of conglomerate takeovers and financial restructurings to find, a little to my surprise, yes, the pension was still good. "Great!" I said to myself. "Even at a crummy 3% interest it should have compounded to at least $450 by now." Nope: $278 a month. They must have stuck the money in an old sock somewhere.
No, it's just that they only pay the letter of what they're obligated to: $278 and not a cent more. If there was such a thing as a pension dating back to the 18th century, it would pay out in thruppence.

Last edited by Lumpy; 03-08-2020 at 10:16 AM.
  #333  
Old 03-08-2020, 10:26 AM
doreen is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Woodhaven,Queens, NY
Posts: 6,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
My first job after I got out of the navy had a pension and I lasted there to get it fully vested. it was a defense contractor and after the USSR collapsed, peace broke out and I was laid off in 1992. The paperwork I got said the pension would be $278 a month.

Flash forward to 2016 when I was getting ready to retire I dug out the paperwork and followed the trail of conglomerate takeovers and financial restructurings to find, a little to my surprise, yes, the pension was still good. "Great!" I said to myself. "Even at a crummy 3% interest it should have compounded to at least $450 by now." Nope: $278 a month. They must have stuck the money in an old sock somewhere.
That's just the way pensions work - they aren't like a 401K where your contributions are in an individual account and how much you end up with depends on your gains or losses over the years. Pensions have a formula ( for mine, it's 1.66 percent of your Final Average Salary (FAS) for each year of service under 20 - it goes up with more than 20) and that's what you get. If I had 10 years of service, I would get 16.6% of my final average salary whether I was 65 and would immediately collect when those ten years were up or 28 when I completed the ten years and and wouldn't collect for another 37 years.
  #334  
Old 03-08-2020, 02:29 PM
BrickBat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: US
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrForrester View Post
There's also this rather strange view that sculpture & buildings from the "classical" time frame of Rome & Greece were white. All neo-classical sculptures are white. ... because they completely missed the fact that the originals were painted with wonderful colors, which simply were lost over the centuries. It's only been in the last few decades that anyone has attempted to recreate their original appearance.

Egypt's pyramids were painted as well.

Time travel is often a subject of speculation here abouts. Personally, I think one of the things that would most impress a time traveler is just how much art and ornamentation and color there was in the ancient world.
They did a great job for the HBO series 'Rome' as far as sets. It did a great job of showing the city as not only multicolored, but also showing the great variety of materials inside and out. Prior to that, one could conclude that everything there was hard, stone colored surfaces.
  #335  
Old 03-08-2020, 02:37 PM
BrickBat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: US
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
There's a site Tales of Future Past that is just chock full of "zeerust" depictions of the future, from the early Gernsback days of pulp SF to the fab-mod Space Age monorail future of the '60s and '70s. Lotsa larfs!
Thanks for the link! Not the kind of thing easily found by a search.

Enjoyed and bookmarked.
  #336  
Old 03-08-2020, 02:59 PM
glee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Obama country
Posts: 15,912
I posted earlier:

My career started when I joined British Telecom in 1974. At the interview they asked if I had any questions.
"What is the pension like?" (I'm chuffed about that! )
Well it was a very good one - and now I've been receiving it for years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
My first job after I got out of the navy had a pension and I lasted there to get it fully vested. it was a defense contractor and after the USSR collapsed, peace broke out and I was laid off in 1992. The paperwork I got said the pension would be $278 a month.

Flash forward to 2016 when I was getting ready to retire I dug out the paperwork and followed the trail of conglomerate takeovers and financial restructurings to find, a little to my surprise, yes, the pension was still good. "Great!" I said to myself. "Even at a crummy 3% interest it should have compounded to at least $450 by now." Nope: $278 a month. They must have stuck the money in an old sock somewhere.
I'm sorry about that. My initial BT pension was based on how many years I worked and is index-linked (i.e. goes up every year.)
  #337  
Old 03-08-2020, 05:54 PM
Ignatz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by XOldiesJock View Post
The hilarity of a co-worker and I talking about our prostates. Never thought I would catch myself doing anything like that.
Don't miss 75-yo Kirk Douglas and 85-yo Alan Arkin in Netflix's The Kominsky Method. I just binge-watched its 8 half-hour episodes. Lots of dialogue and bon mots about that and life, etc. - "I urinate in Morse Code - dots and dashes." and "I blame Bill Clinton. When oral sex ceased to be sex, our civilization fell."

I've forgotten what I used to remember.

Last edited by Ignatz; 03-08-2020 at 05:55 PM.
  #338  
Old 03-10-2020, 11:36 AM
AlTraina is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Don't miss 75-yo Kirk Douglas ... in Netflix's The Kominsky Method.
Michael
  #339  
Old 03-10-2020, 12:29 PM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,051
The other day at work, a co-worker was showing off her stylish new pants...bell-bottoms. She claimed they were in "again". Another co-worker seemed doubtful. She turned to me and said, "Julie, remember when you were young, bell-bottoms were in fashion?" I said, "Yeah, about twenty years ago..." I didn't share with them that's it's actually the third cycle of bell-bottoms that I've lived through.
  #340  
Old 03-10-2020, 02:35 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
The other day at work, a co-worker was showing off her stylish new pants...bell-bottoms. She claimed they were in "again". Another co-worker seemed doubtful. She turned to me and said, "Julie, remember when you were young, bell-bottoms were in fashion?" I said, "Yeah, about twenty years ago..." I didn't share with them that's it's actually the third cycle of bell-bottoms that I've lived through.
That reminded me of this web comic strip, which I'll share below (very mildly nsfw). The context is 500 years in the future, when a young, (mostly) human girl and her android companion are to attend a posh party with their benefactor. (Their friend is a "beltape", a lineage of humans specialized for microgravity who are an underclass). Their benefactor bought gowns for them from an overrated designer whom they think is full of it. So they take inspiration from the past...

https://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=427

P.S. The outcome is well-received: https://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=437
  #341  
Old 03-14-2020, 01:45 PM
Ignatz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Don't miss 75-yo Kirk Douglas and 85-yo Alan Arkin in Netflix's The Kominsky Method. I just binge-watched its 8 half-hour episodes. Lots of dialogue and bon mots about that and life, etc. - "I urinate in Morse Code - dots and dashes." and "I blame Bill Clinton. When oral sex ceased to be sex, our civilization fell."

I've forgotten what I used to remember.
Thanks, AL Traina for correcting my faulty memory. It was Michael, not Kirk Douglas and he said blow jobs, not oral sex.
  #342  
Old 03-20-2020, 02:49 PM
Si Amigo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North of 8 Mile
Posts: 4,255
I remember when people were scared of polio and keeping their kids away from each other. And now some people are saying we have never seen anything like this and who would have thought something like this could happen. Me, that's who. Now get off my lawn you possibly contagious person!
  #343  
Old 03-20-2020, 08:41 PM
Mean Mr. Mustard's Avatar
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Every forty years the world gets topsy turvy. It just does. I lived through the 1960's, and I lived through 9/11/2001.

So we are on our way to the next big event circa 2040. You read it here first.
It's happening sooner than you predicted.


mmm
  #344  
Old 03-20-2020, 08:56 PM
jtur88 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 15,231
Right about polio. In 1948 my sister was invited to play in the state high school band at the State Fair, and my mother wouldn't let her go. And Mom was no scaredy-cat.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017