Old 02-25-2020, 03:47 PM

Clip-on yellow glasses over transition lenses?

Years ago I had a pair of clip-on yellow glasses (claimed to be for night driving. Not sure if they actually helped with that though) that I would wear over my prescription glasses out in the woods, hiking and such. I liked them, and they made a difference, but one day they broke, and I didn't bother to replace them.

Recently I was thinking about getting a new pair (there pretty cheep) but was wondering if since I wear transition lenses now (tinting in sunlight) if it would be a good idea? Would my transition lenses darken with the yellow lenses over them? If they do, would that be a weird effect?
Old 02-25-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man In Black View Post
Years ago I had a pair of clip-on yellow glasses (claimed to be for night driving. Not sure if they actually helped with that though) that I would wear over my prescription glasses out in the woods, hiking and such. I liked them, and they made a difference, but one day they broke, and I didn't bother to replace them.

Recently I was thinking about getting a new pair (there pretty cheep) but was wondering if since I wear transition lenses now (tinting in sunlight) if it would be a good idea? Would my transition lenses darken with the yellow lenses over them? If they do, would that be a weird effect?
I'm a former certified optician. The answers to your question are: no, no, and n/a.

Transitions lenses react to UV. The clip-ons block said UV, not allowing the lenses to darken. The same thing is true in a car. The windows block enough UV that the lenses darken little if any.

IMO clip-ons are a bad idea period. One thing I don't miss about the optical business is dealing with people who are mad because their clip-ons (which we advised against) made scuff marks on the edges of their lenses.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:02 PM

Personal experience: I used "blu-blocker" (amber) clip-ons for 15 years and they were awesome. I could drive all day in bright sun and never got heavy eyes. I saw further and clearer in rain/fog/mist. My ophthalmologist pointed to them in my shirt pocket and said Don't leave home without those. They worked and I was thankful for them.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Years back when I was flying radio control sailplanes I spent a lot of time looking into bright blue sky. These planes generally flew between 500 to 3000 feet up.

I discovered that I could get plastic prescription lenses dyed to most any color I desired. I did some research and found Diamond Dye 550

They worked great. No eye strain and I had a much clearer view of my RC aircraft.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll get a pair.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:37 AM

You can also get yellow lens glasses and regular sunglasses that fit right over your prescription glasses. I love mine.