Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

His distraction about F-35s didn't get the intended result so now, of course, he wants to end his own distraction.

Already reported for violating Bone's instructions to stop sealioning.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Not at all.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:26 AM

Good God. Now Jonathan Chance is threatening to close the impeachment thread if people don’t stop being mean to Liar McTrollerstein. WTF is wrong with these moderators?
Old 10-17-2019, 09:04 AM

This is what HD LIVES for- goading someone else into a warning. I say don't play in his sandbox, you never know what you'll step in.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:03 AM

So the moderators are now threatening to give asshole trolls exactly what they want, unless people stop getting baited by the trolls.

Here's a radical thought: BAN THE FUCKING TROLL, and let the rest of us have a reasonable discussion.

I think the mods have been watching too much Trump "diplomacy".
Old 10-17-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
So the moderators are now threatening to give asshole trolls exactly what they want, unless people stop getting baited by the trolls.

Here's a radical thought: BAN THE FUCKING TROLL, and let the rest of us have a reasonable discussion.

I think the mods have been watching too much Trump "diplomacy".
Here's another radical thought: Put the Fucking Troll on Ignore, like I've told you guys for months! This is the stuff he lives for: goading people into getting warned/banned and closing threads. I know you dislike ignoring guys like HD because Bad Ideas Need to Be Engaged.

No, he doesn't. Ignore him. Otherwise, you play right into his hands. And I know you're smarter than him.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:26 AM

I'm going to give your advice a try. This will be the first time I've used that feature. If I don't post in this thread again, that will probably mean that your advice stuck.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

No, don't put him on ignore. Report all his sealioning shit as ignoring Bone's instructions to stop sealioning.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:29 AM

I've just done it. (I am curious to see if I like it. If I undo it, I'll be sure to complain about that useless fuck HD here again.)
Old 10-17-2019, 11:30 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Is there any case history of trolls going away after being ignored?
Old 10-17-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
No, don't put him on ignore. Report all his sealioning shit as ignoring Bone's instructions to stop sealioning.
NB: Bone's instructions only apply to Elections & GD.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
Here's another radical thought: Put the Fucking Troll on Ignore, like I've told you guys for months! This is the stuff he lives for: goading people into getting warned/banned and closing threads. I know you dislike ignoring guys like HD because Bad Ideas Need to Be Engaged.

No, he doesn't. Ignore him. Otherwise, you play right into his hands. And I know you're smarter than him.
If you can keep yourself from being dragged down sidetracks, and only focus on substantive parts of a post (which often means ignoring entire posts), then the bad ideas can be engaged constructively.

He's not the only troll in the world, and many of them you cannot ignore. Developing and practicing techniques for combating that sort of "debate" has a value in and of itself.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:37 AM

Also, is there any case history suggesting that the number of people reporting a post has any influence over the likelihood that the mods will take action? (Serious question) I mean, I'm happy to report every single fucked up thing HD says (well, I have him on ignore, but I still "get" to see most of his most inflammatory posts) courtesy of other folds quoting him) if it will help hasten his banning, but that would take a lot of my time! And I wonder if after a certain point the mods would just get annoyed with it, so it would be counterproductive.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

TPTB are on record as not minding multiple reports. IIRC, they encourage multiple reports.

In this case, multiple Dopers reporting posts would increase the chances of Bone seeing one rather than Jonathan, who seems to be unaware of Bone's instructions.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 10-17-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Is there any case history of trolls going away after being ignored?
We REALLY need a Tachy Goes to Coventry option on this board...
Old 10-17-2019, 03:36 PM

HD decides to "take a break" from the impeachment inquiry thread. https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...7&postcount=35

Good! I'm sure it's just a coincidence that he takes a break on the same day that the WH admits to the quid pro quo and decides to (even more!) openly violate emoluments and directly profit from the presidency.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
HD decides to "take a break" from the impeachment inquiry thread. https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...7&postcount=35

Good! I'm sure it's just a coincidence that he takes a break on the same day that the WH admits to the quid pro quo and decides to (even more!) openly violate emoluments and directly profit from the presidency.
Sometimes it gets really hard to defend wrongdoing and even the best at it have to give up at some point. *HD waves white flag*
Old 10-21-2019, 08:59 AM

Gutless yellow-bellied coward HurricaneDitka on what he'd "sacrifice" for a threat to the country:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I'm a millennial and I wouldn't welcome taxes, especially not to fight the things you listed, but if there were a real existential threat, something like another Nazi war machine gobbling up European countries every couple of weeks, and a Pearl Harbor, or another 9/11, or some nuking of American cities, I'd be on-board with serious sacrificing to kick the shit out of the responsible party.

Hell, I'd buy war bonds tomorrow if it meant we starting killing the IRGC.
War bonds. That's really what he said. What a pathetic, cowardly little man.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

"War Bonds Ditka"
Old 10-21-2019, 09:46 AM

I had the impression HD was much older than a millennial. Which means he's actually an even bigger asshole than I had previously thought. And that is good news, because it proves I have not lost my capacity for surprise.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

IRGC?

Huh?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 10-21-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:07 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
IRGC?

Huh?
Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps

It appears Blowhard Dipshit thinks they're a threat.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:39 PM

Well I for one would go enlist if it meant protecting our nation's airports from the Hessians.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:08 AM

My Ignore List is about to qet very big

This post is about the Tim McVeigh fan, Nasty Sealion, aka HD, aka He-who-shouldnt-be-named. His first name is a word meaning Atlantic Ocean cyclone. His last name is that of a famous football coach. The reason I don't write his name in full will be clear.

Several in this thread have made the suggestion that we just ignore this nasty oaf. After he went whining to the Mods again about my latest mention(*) of him, I've decided to act to prevent his name coming to my eyes again.

* - HD, recall, is the same asshole who condemns the petite Yvette Falarca for pushing a big strong Nazi with her bare hands, while judging that Tim McVeigh's massacre of hundreds of Americans was żżż żżżżżżżż żżżżżżżżżżżż. (I am forbidden to repeat that ordinary phrase at SDMB.)

I choose not to look at his name ever again. If you want to comment on him, I ask that you use a euphemism, e.g. HD or The-Asshole-who-shouldnt-be-named. On or after this date if I see any post that contains his name (whether full, first or last), The poster who allowed HD's name to appear will also be placed on my Ignore list.

If you must quote one of his posts, and you want me to place you on my Ignore list, no action is required. If/when I see that post, you will be placed on Ignore. If you don't want to be Ignored, go into the generated script and replace his full name with "HD" or a ".". (If you post in a thread started by HD, no action is required — I never read such threads.)

I do not know whether the Board's software allows me to exchange PMs with someone on my Ignore list. I will post additions to my Ignore list in this thread. If you see your name as Ignored here, promise to stop quoting HD posts, and want me to read your posts, PM me (if allowed) and I will take you off the Ignore list.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

I mean, guy: it's a message board. If you don't want to participate, then leave. Or get over yourself.

Here: Hurricane Ditka

Have at it.

Last edited by JohnT; 10-23-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:12 AM

Man, I thought putting someone on my ignore list for the first time was an extreme measure.
Update: It's been working out well so far!

Last edited by bobot; 10-23-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I choose not to look at his name ever again. If you want to comment on him, I ask that you use a euphemism, e.g. HD or The-Asshole-who-shouldnt-be-named. On or after this date if I see any post that contains his name (whether full, first or last), The poster who allowed HD's name to appear will also be placed on my Ignore list.

If you must quote one of his posts, and you want me to place you on my Ignore list, no action is required. If/when I see that post, you will be placed on Ignore. If you don't want to be Ignored, go into the generated script and replace his full name with "HD" or a ".". (If you post in a thread started by HD, no action is required — I never read such threads.)

I do not know whether the Board's software allows me to exchange PMs with someone on my Ignore list. I will post additions to my Ignore list in this thread. If you see your name as Ignored here, promise to stop quoting HD posts, and want me to read your posts, PM me (if allowed) and I will take you off the Ignore list.
Oh, for fuck's sake, what childishness.

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Bee...I mean HurricaneDitka. There, I said it.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 10-23-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
This post is about the Tim McVeigh fan, Nasty Sealion, aka HD, aka He-who-shouldnt-be-named. His first name is a word meaning Atlantic Ocean cyclone. His last name is that of a famous football coach. The reason I don't write his name in full will be clear.

Several in this thread have made the suggestion that we just ignore this nasty oaf. After he went whining to the Mods again about my latest mention(*) of him, I've decided to act to prevent his name coming to my eyes again.

* - HD, recall, is the same asshole who condemns the petite Yvette Falarca for pushing a big strong Nazi with her bare hands, while judging that Tim McVeigh's massacre of hundreds of Americans was żżż żżżżżżżż żżżżżżżżżżżż. (I am forbidden to repeat that ordinary phrase at SDMB.)

What are you? Five years old?
Old 10-23-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Way to make the thread about you, my friend. Quick question: how does it advance your purpose of never seeing his name again, if you intend to open THIS THREAD, THE TITLE OF WHICH BEARS HIS NAME every time you want to notify the world of the expansions to your Ignore list? You DO realize that any time you post to it, this thread hops to the top of the menu, right?
Old 10-23-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

?

I can still see Septimus.

I have no idea if I've ever been ignored before... as the person being ignored, am I still able to see my ignorant's posts?
Old 10-23-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
If you see your name as Ignored here, promise to stop quoting HD posts, and want me to read your posts, PM me (if allowed) and I will take you off the Ignore list.
Arrogant little fucker, aren't you?
Old 10-23-2019, 10:03 AM

What if the words just accidently line up to form his name? Something like:

"The legendary coach said the wind was like a hurricane. Ditka also said he saw a lot of debris flying around"

Would THAT get me placed on ignore?

Last edited by manson1972; 10-23-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
?

I can still see Septimus.

I have no idea if I've ever been ignored before... as the person being ignored, am I still able to see my ignorant's posts?
You will have no way of knowing if you’re on someone’s Ignore list unless they broadcast that fact in the Pit. So the software does not automatically reciprocate septimus’s action, and he’ll show up for you unless you reciprocate manually.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:19 AM

Working fast! I am now Ignoring the following posters:
JohnT
El_Kabong
TheCuse
kaylasdad99
QuickSilver
Too bad about kaylasdad99, whose posts were generally intelligent and good-spirited, but it seems he wants me to Ignore him, so I oblige.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
What if the words just accidently line up to form his name? Something like:

"The legendary coach said the wind was like a hurricane. Ditka also said he saw a lot of debris flying around"

Would THAT get me placed on ignore?
No. I thought of mentioning this explicitly, but it seemed unnecessary.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

lol
Old 10-23-2019, 10:21 AM

Fuck you, Hurricane Ditka. You are an asshole.
What happens with that one?
Old 10-23-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Working fast! I am now Ignoring the following posters:
JohnT
El_Kabong
TheCuse
kaylasdad99
QuickSilver
Too bad about kaylasdad99, whose posts were generally intelligent and good-spirited, but it seems he wants me to Ignore him, so I oblige.

No. I thought of mentioning this explicitly, but it seemed unnecessary.
Would somebody do me a solid and ask him where in my post I mentioned the guy’s name?
Old 10-23-2019, 10:24 AM

AFAICT, septimus has ignored several posters who didn't actually violate his rule. But if your intention, septimus, was to get lots of attention in this thread, then well done, for you appear to have succeeded.

Perhaps you should make your very own thread for this side discussion, since this one is about pointing out shitty posts from HD? Just a recommendation.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 10-23-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Gonna have to make it a habit to respond to Septimus specifically.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Would somebody do me a solid and ask him where in my post I mentioned the guy’s name?
Hey Septimus, kaylasdad99 wants to know where he mentioned Hurricaneditka's name.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

ISWYDT

Might start a sock named "Hurricaned Itka", come to think about it...

/joke

Last edited by JohnT; 10-23-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by JohnT; 10-23-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:28 AM

Just to be clear:

In a recent GD thread, someone listed HD as a "moderate." I responded by posting a link to one of the Sealion's posts and then was warned that just quoting HD and asking if his own words seemed "moderate" was unacceptable. I am on notice that if I do so again I am likely to be BANNED.

Avoiding new mentions of the insipid HD is for my self-protection: I'd prefer not to be BANNED.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:30 AM

Wow. This thread took an odd turn.

Perhaps a nice liedown and a day or two away from the messageboard would help, septimus?
Old 10-23-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just to be clear:

In a recent GD thread, someone listed HD as a "moderate." I responded by posting a link to one of the Sealion's posts and then was warned that just quoting HD and asking if his own words seemed "moderate" was unacceptable. I am on notice that if I do so again I am likely to be BANNED.

Avoiding new mentions of the insipid HD is for my self-protection: I'd prefer not to be BANNED.
How unbelievably ridiculous. Really? I can affirm nobody else dabbles in this knuckleheaded absurdity.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Just to be clear:

You know, writing HD instead of herricaneDitka is the same as saying "GD" instead of god damn. You are still thinking it.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Sorry. Mea culpa. I've dis-Ignored you.

Another name on the Ignored list didn't mention HD's name, but did insult me as if asking to be Ignored.

In future, I will ignore mentions of HD in this thread, and possibly in BBQ Pit threads generally.

As I say, I'm not acting out of spite or malice. I want to minimize the chance that I will get BANNED by responding to post(s) about HD.

I hope that one of the newly-ignored will send me a PM. I'm curious if I'll see it.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:42 AM

Am I ignored? Nevermind, you can't see that. Possibly.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sorry. Mea culpa. I've dis-Ignored you.

Another name on the Ignored list didn't mention HD's name, but did insult me as if asking to be Ignored.

In future, I will ignore mentions of HD in this thread, and possibly in BBQ Pit threads generally.

As I say, I'm not acting out of spite or malice. I want to minimize the chance that I will get BANNED by responding to post(s) about HD.

I hope that one of the newly-ignored will send me a PM. I'm curious if I'll see it.
Be a man and don't respond. How's that for a solution?
Old 10-23-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, manson1972.
Closed Thread