Old 10-12-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Itís not bullshit at all. People here, quite often in this very pit, deliberately misrepresent quoted arguments and flat out lie.
Thanks for the cite! I'll assume you mean that you do this, and I know Shodan does it because I've followed up on his "cites" a few times and challenged him, and he has never responded. And we know HD does this.

Don't you have your own pit thread you can fuck around in? What do you think of HD's disingenuous attempt to smear all Democrats with stupid things that Beto says?
Old 10-12-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Nah. Refugee is the classic not-bright (but thinks he is) Russian troll who gets assigned to a low-traffic board. HD is the classic not-bright (but thinks he is) tedious asswipe kind of troll who does it for the fun of (thinking he's) making the libs cry.
Do you dumbasses really think people here are ďRussian TrollsĒ trying to manipulate & aggrivate you?
Old 10-12-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
Do you dumbasses really think people here are ďRussian TrollsĒ trying to manipulate & aggrivate you?
You should take it as a compliment! You're an unemployed struggling guy and are willing to pretend to be a dunce and do a tedious detestable job to feed your hungry family.

If the alternative is really the case ó that you and the other Trump-licking drones are sincere ó then pity is in order. Along with congratulations that with an IQ that low you're able to compose grammatical sentences.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
... says the illiterate dumbass who can't spell.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
you're able to compose grammatical sentences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
... says the illiterate dumbass who can't spell.
What a rollercoaster.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Thanks for the cite! I'll assume you mean that you do this, and I know Shodan does it because I've followed up on his "cites" a few times and challenged him, and he has never responded. And we know HD does this.

Don't you have your own pit thread you can fuck around in? What do you think of HD's disingenuous attempt to smear all Democrats with stupid things that Beto says?
When there is literally 1000 anti Trump or anti Republicans threads for every one thread critical of a democrat itís hard to care. Plus if Beta is saying stupid things and heís running for the Democratic nomination heís fair game for ridicule.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
"People"? You mean you and your ilk?

Anyway, Bubba, how 'bout them Patriots, hunh?
Whatís your fixation with the Patriots? Is this the new quarry?
Old 10-12-2019, 11:22 AM

Oh I'm sorry. I'd thought you'd have been the butt of the joke so often it would be familiar to you.

Octopus' inability to articulate any political principle whatsoever except "No, you" reminds me of Bubba in the old joke:

Three Texans, Slim, Billy-Bob and Bubba died and went to heaven.At the pearly gates, they were met by St. Peter, who explained that although it was late and God had retired for the evening, he had asked Albert Einstein to show them around so they wouldn't get bored before they met God in the morning. After Einstein had introduced himself to Slim, he asked:

"By the way, Slim, what was your IQ when you were alive?"
"168", said Slim.
"Great!", said Einstein. We'll discuss my recent unification of relativity and field theory as I show you around."
"What an exciting opportunity!", said Slim.

Einstein then introduced himself to Billy-Bob, and when he was done he said:
"Tell me, Billy-Bob - what was your IQ when you were alive?"
"138", said Billy-Bob.
"Good," said Einstein. "If you'd like, we can discuss a little mathematics and cosmology as I point out the heavenly sights."
"Nothing I'd like better!" was Billy-Bob's reply.

After Einstein had introduced himself to Bubba, he asked:
"What was your IQ when you were alive, Bubba?"
"78" said Bubba.
Punching him on the arm, Einstein said:
"Hey, Bubba - How 'bout them Patriots!"
Old 10-12-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
What a rollercoaster.
Yeah. It's no coincidence that most of the right-wing trolls around here (you would be a prime example) are obvious imbeciles with poor language skills to go along with their poor reasoning abilities. They also have a general hostility toward the world, especially the liberal side, so they like hanging out in the Pit despite the abuse they get. Like fisticuffs in a seedy bar after too many rounds of cheap whisky, this is familiar territory for your kind. Ditka is the only troll who doesn't hang out here because his well-honed specialty is JAQing off and ever-so-polite sealioning. But his purpose here is the same as yours -- to see how disruptive he can be without getting banned.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
When there is literally 1000 anti Trump or anti Republicans threads for every one thread critical of a democrat itís hard to care. Plus if Beta is saying stupid things and heís running for the Democratic nomination heís fair game for ridicule.
Trump is much, much worse than the Democrats. Maybe 1000 times worse, depending on how you judge it. Of course some others will disagree, just as some folks would complain about all the anti-Nazi and anti-communist rhetoric on this board.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It’s not bullshit at all. People here, quite often in this very pit, deliberately misrepresent quoted arguments and flat out lie.
The fact that you keep making this claim without providing a single example is pretty telling.

Like, show one time that someone in the Pit has misrepresented a quote as completely as HD did.

I can, but it was 15 or so years ago, and it was Shodan, and I only remember because it was me, and it was hilarious. That doesn't count as "quite often."

My strong suspicion is that this is a petulant lie on your part, but I welcome correction.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 10-12-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you dumbasses really think people here are “Russian Trolls” trying to manipulate & aggrivate you?
What, you don't think they exist?

Favourite subjects[:] Putin and Trump being great, the opposition being corrupt, the Nato conspiracy against Russia, the effeminacy of Barack Obama. Where better than a message board so anti-Trump?

Last edited by Skywatcher; 10-12-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
What a rollercoaster.
Spelling and grammar are totally different things.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I get it, there are so many instances that you can't figure out which one to choose! It all makes sense.

I have no issue with Beto getting ridiculed, and several posters in that thread did just that. That's not what HD was doing, of course, so I have no idea why you brought it up. After you bring those cites (choose one from the many, many thousands you have in mind), maybe you can explain your comment here.

Or don't! Just fuck off to your own Pit thread instead of white-knighting a poster who is too chickenshit to come to the Pit.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
I get it, there are so many instances that you can't figure out which one to choose! It all makes sense.

I have no issue with Beto getting ridiculed, and several posters in that thread did just that. That's not what HD was doing, of course, so I have no idea why you brought it up. After you bring those cites (choose one from the many, many thousands you have in mind), maybe you can explain your comment here.

Or don't! Just fuck off to your own Pit thread instead of white-knighting a poster who is too chickenshit to come to the Pit.
You arenít the pit boss
Old 10-12-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Russian troll factories do not give a single solitary shit about the SDMB. I would give even odds whether or not they are even aware of it. They have too much to do on Facebook and Twitter to worry about a tiny dying message board.

The SDMB makes its own trolls, better and cheaper than you can buy in Russia.

Last edited by Larry Borgia; 10-12-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You arenít the pit boss
Indeed. The pit boss would make you back up your claims.

I didn't think it was possible for anything to be more spineless than an actual octopus. Ignorance fought!
Old 10-12-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Indeed. The pit boss would make you back up your claims.

I didn't think it was possible for anything to be more spineless than an actual octopus. Ignorance fought!
I heard that bitch slap logged off and clear in the next room. Well done.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
Russian troll factories do not give a single solitary shit about the SDMB. I would give even odds whether or not they are even aware of it. They have too much to do on Facebook and Twitter to worry about a tiny dying message board.
They've supposedly* been on the board at AR15.com, which is roughly the same size as the SDMB.

*Users there believe one had their IP traced back to some Russian village.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
You arenít the pit boss
https://media1.giphy.com/media/10DVc...dFu/source.gif
Iím sorry, I couldnít help it. First thing that popped in my head.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
You arenít the pit boss
Ouch. That's going to leave a mark.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:51 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

NM

Last edited by KarlGauss; 10-12-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
They've supposedly* been on the board at AR15.com, which is roughly the same size as the SDMB.

*Users there believe one had their IP traced back to some Russian village.
People believe a lot of things. Doesn't make them true. I don't know that board, but i know this one, and it's obviously just not worth the paid trolls' time.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:29 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
You should take it as a compliment! You're an unemployed struggling guy and are willing to pretend to be a dunce and do a tedious detestable job to feed your hungry family.

If the alternative is really the case — that you and the other Trump-licking drones are sincere — then pity is in order. Along with congratulations that with an IQ that low you're able to compose grammatical sentences.

The troll still can't spell.

Last edited by Monty; 10-12-2019 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Damnit, [b]wolfpup[/b]!
Old 10-12-2019, 09:39 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Hey, octopus, you fetid pool of dung, although you are on my ignore list, others quoted you so I could see your mad linguistic skills. Do yourself a favor and learn when to use the third person plural form of the verb be.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
People believe a lot of things. Doesn't make them true. I don't know that board, but i know this one, and it's obviously just not worth the paid trolls' time.
Who's paying you to say that?

Old 10-14-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

I don't need to provide a cite to a disingenuous liar like you, one who can't even agree to the facts. Burn in hell, you lying shit.

ETA: Response to this query by lying loser Ditka who insists there's no "quid pro quo".

Last edited by JohnT; 10-14-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:09 PM

That thread is 2600+ posts and I'm positive he didn't read more than the last 20 or so. How is that not threadshitting at this point?
Old 10-14-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Literally. Just complete threadshitting by refusing to agree to already-agreed upon facts.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:03 PM

The whole "quid pro quo" lifeline that Trump supporters are grasping is dumb. (Yes, there was a quid pro quo.) But even if there wasn't. Even if there WASN'T, the so-called president of the US asking a foreign government, not the FBI, to investigate an American (political rival no less) for personal political gain is an impeachable action.
ETA: In my opinion, even if you left out the "for personal political gain" It's still a violation of the oath of office, a violation of American principles, and impeachable.

Last edited by bobot; 10-14-2019 at 03:05 PM. Reason: ETA/r
Old 10-14-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
The whole "quid pro quo" lifeline that Trump supporters are grasping is dumb. (Yes, there was a quid pro quo.) But even if there wasn't. Even if there WASN'T, the so-called president of the US asking a foreign government, not the FBI, to investigate an American (political rival no less) for personal political gain is an impeachable action.
ETA: In my opinion, even if you left out the "for personal political gain" It's still a violation of the oath of office, a violation of American principles, and impeachable.
They had to try. How could they resist? One way or another, it was going to come out their ass.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Of course it matters! That's the shaky foundation for all these "Trump was acting like a mob enforcer" posts and reasoning. They all assume Zelensky knew that Trump was withholding the money (or Javelins in some tellings), and so Trump's "I would like you to do us a favor" is supposed to have an ominous ring to Zelensky like a mobster's "It'd be a shame if something happened". If Zelensky doesn't know that he's being extorted (because he in fact is not), that perceived ominous tone evaporates.
Holy fuck. As if Zelensky didn't know exactly what he had to do if he wanted to see that military assistance materialize. I'm not sure if HD can be that stupid, or if he can be that much of a troll, or if he really is that much of an asshole. I think all three.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:36 PM

I tend to agree with ThelmaLou most of the time that Ditka is not worth engaging. He is so boringly transparent. However, there are times when I feel it's necessary, and today is one of those times.

The entire Trump cabal is hanging its hat on the "no quid pro quo!" argument, and when I see people getting sucked into this disingenuous line of discussion, I feel the need to point out that "quid pro quo" is not required for either the crime or for impeachment -- only the "quid." To allow Ditka's line of thinking to propagate is to allow Trumpians to control the narrative. This we cannot do.

Ditka follows a very predictable way of engaging. He will always try to define the framework within which he wishes to have the discussion. (Guys!! What about the quid pro quo? What about the crime?) Bricker used to do this, too, although with a little more finesse than Ditka.

As noted above, Ditka usually accomplishes the hijack with his "what-about, what-about, what-about-bout-bout?" tactic as represented above (hummed in my mind to the William Tell Overture).

Try not to fall for it. If you're going to engage him, make sure you do it on an accurate basis and not his dishonest reframing of any narrative. In other words, make sure you don't become another turd in his Trumpian kitty litter box.

I hate to give him credit of any kind, but he's really good at pulling people into his distorted world view. That makes him dangerous, and sometimes worth arguing against.

Ditka himself is a lost cause. But others are reading and forming opinions. It is to them I feel we must direct our discussions.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
...Ditka follows a very predictable way of engaging. He will always try to define the framework within which he wishes to have the discussion. (Guys!! What about the quid pro quo? What about the crime?) Bricker used to do this, too, although with a little more finesse than Ditka.

I hate to give him credit of any kind, but he's really good at pulling people into his distorted world view. That makes him dangerous, and sometimes worth arguing against...
QFT. HIs suspension made it clear how much his trolling has come to dominate the Dope. During his absence, threads were allowed to happen, people were allowed to have arguments that weren't about whatever distraction he set up.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

The SDMB makes its own trolls, better and cheaper than you can buy in Russia.
There are 3 broad possibilities as I see it:

1) Long-term Dope trolls decide to come in and troll the Dope to defend Ukraine Clown Posse. I'm not sure that this is a high probability because it would require them to be dedicated enough to increase their numbers well beyond the normal white noise, and be clever enough to imitate a Russian troll, and there are not enough of them with those skills to deliver the necessary volume and different speaking voices IMO.

2) As with #1, an organized right-wing amateur trolling group from elsewhere decide to troll the dope for lulz. It would still require them pretending to make characteristically Russian grammatical mistakes but they might have honed that ability in previous board invasions.

3) Russian trolls. Yes, it would require them giving a shit about the Dope, but it would explain the timing and the writing style.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:03 AM

I must admit though, his comparing Trump's actions with regards to Ukraine with a president wearing the "wrong-colored tie" as both being impeachable offenses has really put the whole "Obama's tan suit" scandal into perspective for me.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
They had to try. How could they resist? One way or another, it was going to come out their ass.
I only came here to say this, but in a slightly different way. I've noticed in the past few weeks that the Alt-Right Brownshirts as well as Trump himself, are becoming less and less coherent in their claims and responses. Goebbels now fumbles.

While I may be wrong, I strongly believe that this is visible evidence of desperation setting in, because even they can now see the signs that the end of their reign is near.
They can hide behind semantic lies and throw mud from one candidate at all candidates... but their smirk is breaking and they know that it's only a matter of time before
The Allies reach Berlin and Hitler's Bunker they totally lose Congress as well as The Presidency.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Holy fuck. As if Zelensky didn't know exactly what he had to do if he wanted to see that military assistance materialize. I'm not sure if HD can be that stupid, or if he can be that much of a troll, or if he really is that much of an asshole. I think all three.
This morning during an interview with NPR the Ukrainian Ambassador to the U.S. admitted that when Trump trash talked the former U.S. Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch, the Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was caught off guard was not so stupid as to contradict Trump with hundreds of millions of aid at stake. Zelensky agreed that Yovanovitch was a "problem" because that's what Trump wanted to hear.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Trump complains about lack of transparency in the investigation.

So, uh, is this a good time to ask how the White House is doing with collecting all the documents under subpoena? Well, I assume, in the name of transparency?
Old 10-15-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Trump complains about lack of transparency in the investigation.

So, uh, is this a good time to ask how the White House is doing with collecting all the documents under subpoena? Well, I assume, in the name of transparency?
"transparency" means "give us the names of the witnesses so we can intimidate/smear them."

In order to understand Trump and his minions, you have to think like a stereotypical mob boss.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
"transparency" means "give us the names of the witnesses so we can intimidate/smear them."

In order to understand Trump and his minions, you have to think like a stereotypical mob boss.
Director Scorsese mocked Roger Stone, and related Trump minion, for their wannabe emulation of the mobsters in the Godfather trilogy. He commented about how absurd it was that grown men acted out in life like fictional characters.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
I tend to agree with ThelmaLou most of the time that Ditka is not worth engaging. He is so boringly transparent. However, there are times when I feel it's necessary, and today is one of those times.

The entire Trump cabal is hanging its hat on the "no quid pro quo!" argument, and when I see people getting sucked into this disingenuous line of discussion, I feel the need to point out that "quid pro quo" is not required for either the crime or for impeachment -- only the "quid." To allow Ditka's line of thinking to propagate is to allow Trumpians to control the narrative. This we cannot do.

Ditka follows a very predictable way of engaging. He will always try to define the framework within which he wishes to have the discussion. (Guys!! What about the quid pro quo? What about the crime?) Bricker used to do this, too, although with a little more finesse than Ditka.

As noted above, Ditka usually accomplishes the hijack with his "what-about, what-about, what-about-bout-bout?" tactic as represented above (hummed in my mind to the William Tell Overture).

Try not to fall for it. If you're going to engage him, make sure you do it on an accurate basis and not his dishonest reframing of any narrative. In other words, make sure you don't become another turd in his Trumpian kitty litter box.

I hate to give him credit of any kind, but he's really good at pulling people into his distorted world view. That makes him dangerous, and sometimes worth arguing against.

Ditka himself is a lost cause. But others are reading and forming opinions. It is to them I feel we must direct our discussions.
In trying to be "nice" I prefer to think of HD as "intentionally obtuse" but I refuse to have any more to do with him after I got in trouble the last time I tried. Those of you who say that he does as much as he can to get under other people's skin w/o getting in trouble himself are, as far as I'm concerned, absolutely correct. What a pitiful way to lead one's life.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
In trying to be "nice" I prefer to think of HD as "intentionally obtuse" but I refuse to have any more to do with him after I got in trouble the last time I tried. Those of you who say that he does as much as he can to get under other people's skin w/o getting in trouble himself are, as far as I'm concerned, absolutely correct. What a pitiful way to lead one's life.
HD is what happens when one is incapable of defining winning in any other terms than other people losing.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:34 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Until very recently I had never even heard the term 'sealioning'.

Having even more recently participated in certain threads with our friend, I can now spot a sea lion a mile away.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:

We should invite Trump to a clam house, if you ask me. We should be seeing mattresses in the White House windows any time now.
Comey noted this in his book. Don Don is acting just like a gangster.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
Until very recently I had never even heard the term 'sealioning'.

Having even more recently participated in certain threads with our friend, I can now spot a sea lion a mile away.
This is true for me as well. Now that I have finally read that cartoon, I understand the term and it is very aptly applied.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:

And let's not forget that the White House almost certainly knows the name of the whistleblower, there are enough details out there. But, they need someone else to get the name out there so that they can destroy the whistleblower's reputation. If they leak the name, it's another crime on the list.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:

This kind of misses the point - paid trolls, whether Russian, Chinese, Turkish, or North Korean, don't care about any of the sites they post on. It's just a metric they need to meet - post X number of times on Y subject, plus Z number of times on unrelated subjects to make it seem like the online identity is not a single-subject hobbyhorse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times Magazine[/quote
While other workers churned out blandly pro-Kremlin comments, her department created appealing online characters who were supposed to stand out from the horde. Savchuk posed as three of these creations, running a blog for each one on LiveJournal. One alter ego was a fortuneteller named Cantadora. The spirit world offered Cantadora insight into relationships, weight loss, feng shui ó and, occasionally, geopolitics. Energies she discerned in the universe invariably showed that its arc bent toward Russia. She foretold glory for Vladimir Putin, defeat for Barack Obama and Petro Poroshenko. The point was to weave propaganda seamlessly into what appeared to be the nonpolitical musings of an everyday person.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/m...he-agency.html

These are people who have both sufficient time to have LiveJournal blogs, and to set up a reporter meeting with a neo-Nazi and have someone surreptitiously photograph that meeting.

Quote:
Its lead image was a photo of a skinhead giving an enthusiastic Nazi salute. But it was not just any skinhead. It was the skinhead whom Katarina Aistova brought to our meeting and introduced to me as her brother. As I learned from reading the article, Aistovaís ďbrotherĒ was in fact a notorious neo-Nazi named Alexei Maximov.
(source: same article as above)

The idea that neither these trolls nor the ideas they promote show up on the SDMB is naÔve. There doesn't have to be a poster X on the board directly posting from Russia, although there could be, and no one would ever know. Since these trolls are on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, LiveJournal, Wikipedia, etc. the ideas promoted by the trolls are here anyway. The key is in recognizing that some ideas are being promoted out of proportion to their actual popularity regardless of which internet forum you encounter them on.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wevets View Post
This kind of misses the point - paid trolls, whether Russian, Chinese, Turkish, or North Korean, don't care about any of the sites they post on. It's just a metric they need to meet - post X number of times on Y subject, plus Z number of times on unrelated subjects to make it seem like the online identity is not a single-subject hobbyhorse....

The idea that neither these trolls nor the ideas they promote show up on the SDMB is naÔve. There doesn't have to be a poster X on the board directly posting from Russia, although there could be, and no one would ever know. Since these trolls are on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, LiveJournal, Wikipedia, etc. the ideas promoted by the trolls are here anyway.
But I think the point being made is that foreign trolls probably aren't very interested in maintaining a presence on the SDMB, because their posts: (a) probably need to be longer than a typical shit-stirring tweet or Facebook post, thus taking more time and effort; and (b) are probably influencing maybe at most 50 posters here, given that users here aren't actually that numerous and don't read every thread.

Contrast that to a troll using Twitter and Facebook, where they can post a meme or two lines of bullshit, and amplify it using retweets and reposts, generating thousands upon thousands of views with very little effort. Those posts then enter the mainstream because (mostly right-wing) idiots see them and assume they are true because they so want them to be true -- and then those idiots sometimes introduce those ideas to the SDMB.

So I don't think it's too likely that Putin has some drone in St. Petersburg assigned to the SDMB. But because the Russian influence campaign spreads misinformation rather efficiently through social media, some of those ideas surely end up here, just like they can end up in newspapers and conversation and whatever.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
But I think the point being made is that foreign trolls probably aren't very interested in maintaining a presence on the SDMB, because their posts: (a) probably need to be longer than a typical shit-stirring tweet or Facebook post, thus taking more time and effort; and (b) are probably influencing maybe at most 50 posters here, given that users here aren't actually that numerous and don't read every thread.

Contrast that to a troll using Twitter and Facebook, where they can post a meme or two lines of bullshit, and amplify it using retweets and reposts, generating thousands upon thousands of views with very little effort. Those posts then enter the mainstream because (mostly right-wing) idiots see them and assume they are true because they so want them to be true -- and then those idiots sometimes introduce those ideas to the SDMB.

I mostly agree with this, but I think it makes 4 mistaken assumptions: that there's only one kind of troll, that there's already maximized efficiency - Twitter didn't even exist 14 years ago, and as social media evolves I suspect the tactics evolve as well, and that trolls are "assigned" to particular places rather than roaming around and trying things out, and lastly that trolls need to "maintain" a presence; since this isn't facebook, it's not immediately obvious what a poster's history is. If they can have LiveJournal blogs, the idea that they can't post on the SDMB is something I would be skeptical of.

But it's not terribly important whether a Russian or Turkish government troll, or a freelance Macedonian one, is posting on the SDMB - as I see it, there are four possible cases:

1. A paid troll posts here and gets their ideas heard
2. No paid troll posts here, but troll ideas get heard
3. No paid troll posts here, and troll ideas don't get heard
4. A paid troll posts here, and troll ideas don't get heard

#1 and #2 are indistinguishable because we can't expect to see evidence of each poster here, and it's not even clear what evidence we could expect to see.

#3 and #4 are just insipid due to the connection of the SDMB to the rest of the internet and the motive the troll has in the first place.

Last edited by wevets; 10-16-2019 at 11:57 AM.