Old 12-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Just got in from shopping. Some how I remembered light bulbs and scotchtape in the throng of shoppers bumping into me and using the aisle I wanna use .
I got a huge thing of light bulbs
The new twisty kind. Forgot my lamp shade clips on a roundish bulb. Dang it.
And, I forgot Charmin.
Those are NOT the kind of bulbs you want these days--return them and get some LED bulbs.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
And, I forgot Charmin.
No problem. Just borrow some from the bear.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
Those are NOT the kind of bulbs you want these days--return them and get some LED bulbs.
Oh, noes! I bought the wrong bulbs.
Are them LED ones roundish?
As usual beckdawrek is 2 days late on them thar modern thingamajigs!
Old 12-10-2019, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Yes, LED lights are designed to look like incandescents, so lamp shades with clips will fit on them.

Of course, you have to remember where you put them when you come home from the store.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:02 PM

Oh, I saw those bulbs. I thought Walmart was screwing with me. I didn't have time to read the pkg. a group of people were getting too close. Must've been 8 people acting alittle too festive for my taste. I ran.
As I'm now trying to avoid Walmart anymore til Jan.??. I'll send DIL. Yep. That'll work.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Tell her to get warm yellow ones, not the daylight bright ones.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:15 PM

Oh, god. I gotta choose what color? I just want a simple plain light bulb. Preferably one I don't have to get a second mortgage to afford.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:22 PM

H'm.
Are you too far out of town for deliveries? Amazon or Ebay stores might be your saviour, if you're not. At least until the crazy season is over.
Otherwise, I'd suggest doing what I do - write things down as they occur to you, on real paper, and leave them on your desk. I've a terrible memory for such things, and I find that this helps - heck, just the act of writing it down is usually enough.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:38 PM

The UPS guy gets to my gate and chunks a box toward my house. Not so condusive to lightbulb purchases.

I'm just grousing now.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by Northern Piper; 12-11-2019 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, god. I gotta choose what color? I just want a simple plain light bulb. Preferably one I don't have to get a second mortgage to afford.
There are no longer “simple plain light bulbs”. The “daylight” ones seem very blue to me, like fluorescent tubes. The warm yellow ones seem the most like incandescents, which seem more cozy to me.

YMMV, of course.

Oh, and they’re all more expensive than incandescents. Because they’re supposed to last longer. Until you can’t stand the “daylight blue” light anymore and unscrew it and stomp up and down on it, a week after you installed it.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:07 AM

Thanks for telling me that. I'll look for the warmer ones. ()
Old 12-11-2019, 02:49 AM

Seconding the warmer tones. One of my two bathroom sconce lights burned out. T I replaced the bad bulb with the daylight kind. Yikes!! New bulb was a harsh WHITE. Clearly these bulb guys need to get outside more. Ain't no daylight that white on Planet Earth.

Have DIL get "Soft White" bulbs. Soft...like Charmin.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:01 AM

Yeah, you know DIL is a lot of nice things. She's a very willing and able advocate for me.
Does more for me than anyone should have to. Love her to bits.
But...she has 2 glaring faults:
#1.Her unlimited recipe box of casseroles, she has a casserole for any occasion. #2.The girl can't shop. I don't know how she manages her own household needs.
Generally you take what she brings back.
I'm gonna show her a picture of the bulbs I want and cross my fingers.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:14 AM

Anecdote: One time I sent her for those semi-disposable Handi-wipes.
She came back with $10 worth of shop towels on rolls. Hey, I just went with. Took me 6mos.to use those towels5
Old 12-11-2019, 06:07 AM

Beck, I keep a pad of Post-its in the kitchen. Whenever I run out (or run low) of any food I write it down on the pad. I also add any non-food items like cat litter, toilet paper or trash bags. When I go shopping I just take the top Post-it with me, and a little pencil to cross out items as I buy them. You can glue down the pad so you know it's always there.

And I know you're an artist like me. In the room where I do my art work, I use the daylight bulbs. They help me see better, and the warmer ones screw with colors.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Beck, I keep a pad of Post-its in the kitchen. Whenever I run out (or run low) of any food I write it down on the pad. I also add any non-food items like cat litter, toilet paper or trash bags. When I go shopping I just take the top Post-it with me, and a little pencil to cross out items as I buy them. You can glue down the pad so you know it's always there.
If she glues down the pad, you know she's gonna lose the pencil; or is that the topic for another thread?
Old 12-11-2019, 07:14 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
The UPS guy gets to my gate and chunks a box toward my house. Not so condusive to lightbulb purchases.

I'm just grousing now.
The journey to the mail box is an armed expedition, fending off bears, 300 pound feral pigs, and gumballs. It is not for the faint of heart.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:11 PM

I have a magnetic paper pad that won't stick to the fridge (stainless steel) in my kitchenm pens and pencils are hard to keep there. I bought a box of 144 golf pencils. Can't find them at the moment.

Panache, I have OTT lights in my art room. Just like a nice sunny day when I turn them on.

Carni*- you are so right. I go fully armed on the way to the mail box

*nickname.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-11-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
If she glues down the pad, you know she's gonna lose the pencil
Quote:
I bought a box of 144 golf pencils. Can't find them at the moment.
I'm freakin' Carnac!

Hey, Beck, why don't you get something that'll turn that lamp on & off that I don't think that even you can lose; it's always right there at the end of your arms.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:18 PM

Carnac, indeed.

Ooh, I wanna clap on/off thingy.
I also wanna Chia pet and some Flexsteel glue.
I got one of those place anywhere battery operated lightbulbs.(looks like a real lightbulb) It sticks anywhere (that's a bold faced lie, btw). It eats up triple A batteries like a kid eats skittles.
Just pass on the copper cookware. Trust me.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:22 PM

I did NOT break into your house to steal your remote! I broke into your house to watch your TV and then FORGOT to leave the remote when I left. Oh, sorry about the mess I left after eating your food.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I did NOT break into your house to steal your remote! I broke into your house to watch your TV and then FORGOT to leave the remote when I left. Oh, sorry about the mess I left after eating your food.
How'd those diabetic meal-replacement shakes taste?
Yep, they're bad, bad, bad!
Old 12-11-2019, 04:00 PM

My bedroom TV remote went missing one day.

Turns out, it was "change the sheets" day and the remote was under my mattress pad

Why are remotes with audio locators not SOP?
Old 12-11-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
My bedroom TV remote went missing one day.

Turns out, it was "change the sheets" day and the remote was under my mattress pad

Why are remotes with audio locators not SOP?
The very question I want answered.
You tech-y types: how hard would it be? One of you figure it out, sell it to a big electronic firm and I'll help with the art work and logo.
We'll make a bundle.
We'll have to watch out for for the replacment remote Lobby. They're vicious.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:38 PM

Have you thought of getting Tiles? (There are probably other options out there, too.) They attach to any device--like a remote. You download the app, and when you lose the device, you can find it with your smart phone or tablet...if you don't lose your smart phone or tablet.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:02 PM

I've heard of those. When I kept losing my phones DIL searched and found out about them. I'm doing better at keeping my phones located. I have lots of devices and a bag full of chargers and things. I put all phones, panic button, tablets and monitor reader and this bag in the same place. DIL checks me everyday. I NEVER want to disappoint her. She gets steamed when I screw up. ()

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-11-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
Seconding the warmer tones. One of my two bathroom sconce lights burned out. T I replaced the bad bulb with the daylight kind. Yikes!! New bulb was a harsh WHITE. Clearly these bulb guys need to get outside more. Ain't no daylight that white on Planet Earth.

Have DIL get "Soft White" bulbs. Soft...like Charmin.
I replaced my kitchen fluorescent tubes with daylight LEDs. My kitchen is BRIGHT now, and I love it because I can see everything, even under the cabinets.

In other words, consider the space in which you are using the bulb. Some places, that sort of light is a wonderful thing.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
Have you thought of getting Tiles? (There are probably other options out there, too.) They attach to any device--like a remote. You download the app, and when you lose the device, you can find it with your smart phone or tablet...if you don't lose your smart phone or tablet.
Or get some of these.

https://m.kohls.com/product/prd-3885...hoCSh4QAvD_BwE

Stick one on your remote and just whistle to find it.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:43 AM

Okay, I want that for Christmas.^^^
Old 12-12-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
[...] I'm afraid to touch the thing. I have an allergy to electronics. They break when I get too close. [...]
Maybe we have a different understanding of how allergies work, but I would think that your electronics are allergic to you, not the other way around. That's fine, BTW, happens to me as well.
Concerning the remote: did you not go into the kitchen with it? Did you not put it in the drawer you opened, because you needed both hands to lift that heavy pot? And then closed the drawer? It's still in the drawer.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:37 PM

Yep, I was being fast and loose with my descriptor of an allergy to electronics. In truth they just hate me. I know, I know they are inanimate objects they don't have feelings. But, they just commit suicide if I'm too familiar. Go figure.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:43 PM

Oh, I see I am late. Should have kept on reading before posting. Pity. Now that you have two remotes, will you keep us posted if they procreate? Tiny remotes are sooo cute, I want to know all about them. With pictures, please.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Have you considered installing an app for your remote on your smartphone. Here's the DIRECTTV Remote App. Then you only have to worry about misplacing your phone....
Old 12-13-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
Oh, I see I am late. Should have kept on reading before posting. Pity. Now that you have two remotes, will you keep us posted if they procreate? Tiny remotes are sooo cute, I want to know all about them. With pictures, please.
I'm keeping them separated. I fear they'll elope and I'll have buy another remote. Ungrateful things that they are!!
Old 12-13-2019, 07:46 AM

I found a product called a phone leash on Amazon. It would work on remotes as well. That would allow you to attach a remote to a TV set, or to a piece of furniture.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I'm keeping them separated. I fear they'll elope and I'll have buy another remote. Ungrateful things that they are!!
Many elopements are because they already started the process of procreation but beware of the little ones, you go to grab them the wrong way & they change the channel or the volume on you.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You just don't want to have to care for the resulting 4 key fobs....
Old 12-13-2019, 01:30 PM

Oh, god! Not the fobs!