The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 04-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Least Original User Name Ever View Post
Interesting draft. Related question: how convinced are you of Trent Richardson? Especially in today's NFL, why spend a super high pick on a back that you're not completely sold on? He didn't even start on his own team over Mark Ingram, so I'm not sure he should be drafted that much higher over Ingram's draft position.
Personally, I think best case scenario on Richardson is Cedric Benson. No thinks. Most pundits disagree and think he's going to be the next big thing, but I doubt it. I haven't seen much that's impressive about him, he's certainly no Adrian Peterson. I'm not even sure he's a good as Ingram, and it looks like I right about him sucking in the NFL.
Advertisements  
Old 04-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Mayock has been pimping Richardson to the browns pretty hard but switched his pick to Blackmon today. Intel? Hmm..

I hate the #4 pick in this draft. I still need to go on my RG3 rampage.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 04-25-2012 at 02:59 PM..
Old 04-25-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Personally, I think best case scenario on Richardson is Cedric Benson. No thinks. Most pundits disagree and think he's going to be the next big thing, but I doubt it. I haven't seen much that's impressive about him, he's certainly no Adrian Peterson. I'm not even sure he's a good as Ingram, and it looks like I right about him sucking in the NFL.
I'll take him over any other RB in the draft (except my guy Lamar Miller). Watching him fight for yards and nearly hitting 100 against an LSU defense that was putting 9 guys in the box to stop him and having no threat from a QB really impressed me. He doesn't have the huge mileage on his tires that a lot of very successful college backs do, and I think he can be a nice weapon in the passing game. I think he's a great prospect who has a ton more speed/agility/moves and a ton less tread than Cedric Benson.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

What do you guys think of Cordy Glenn as a right tackle?

Specifically for the Browns at 22.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post

Depends on the scheme. Glenn isn't a mauler. He's not going to move guys off a spot and isn't great against a bull rush. He's going to be very versatile and because he's pretty nimble for his size he projects well as a OG or an OT in a zone blocking scheme. I see him as an excellent fit for say the Texans, but maybe less so for the Bears for example. Because he's pretty light on his feet he might project better as a LT than a RT, not sure if he's got that great first lateral step to handle a dominant edge rusher, but he's not going to be caught off balance much. Not sure what the Browns rushing scheme is off the top of my head, but I imagine he'd be an asset as a OG in just about any system. As an RT it's more of a question of scheme fit.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:35 PM

He might not last that long. Glenn looks pretty athletic, and has the advantage of being able to play in the guard spot if necessary. I looked at him specifically as a guard, and he's only marginally better than a Zeitler, Silatolu, or Osemele.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
He might not last that long. Glenn looks pretty athletic, and has the advantage of being able to play in the guard spot if necessary. I looked at him specifically as a guard, and he's only marginally better than a Zeitler, Silatolu, or Osemele.
He's got a lot of Chris Williams in his though. Not sure he's got that edge to his game. I'd feel better about Zeitler or Osemele.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

What I read about Glenn was that he was a powerful man blocker, somewhat like what Shawn Andrews was projected to be. This year I've been doing almost no first hand research and just read mock draft blurbs so I guess I might just be repeating bullshit.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What I read about Glenn was that he was a powerful man blocker, somewhat like what Shawn Andrews was projected to be. This year I've been doing almost no first hand research and just read mock draft blurbs so I guess I might just be repeating bullshit.
Scouting OLs is notoriously difficult and you'll often see contradictions about a player within the exact same article. Glenn's huge and people like to automatically assume he's a physical force because of it. I haven't seen it in the clips I've watched. He's really difficult to move, but that doesn't seem to translate to moving other people. And he lunges a lot and doesn't seem to drive through people. In pass protection he's pretty tough to get buy though.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Any thoughts on the rumors that Asante Samuel could be heading to the Falcons
Looks like it's a done deal. ESPN is reporting the Eagles received a 6th rounder in their video piece but a seventh round in the text. I think the Falcons win big here, with Samuel restructuring his contract for 6 years.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

After hearing some Fleener hype I wonder if it'd be better to take him at 22 and grab Randle, Sanu, or Jeffries at 37 rather than take Wright or Hill at 22.

Richardson, Fleener, WR would be quite a revamped offense.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidchameleon View Post
Looks like it's a done deal. ESPN is reporting the Eagles received a 6th rounder in their video piece but a seventh round in the text. I think the Falcons win big here, with Samuel restructuring his contract for 6 years.
I should get a front office job for what I did as opposed to what they did.

Oh, spoke too soon. Just got a call.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 PM

What do you guys think about Stephon Gilmore? Lots of talk about Panthers targeting him now, which is a big change from the Cox/Coples/Kuechly discussion most of the offseason. Seems like he's rising, but I don't know much about him.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Any thoughts on the rumors that Asante Samuel could be heading to the Falcons or Jerome Simpson signing with the Vikings?

The Falcons retained Grimes this offseason so I'm not sure Samuel is a dire need and I'm not sure what their cap situation is or how Samuel fits in the scheme, but it's interesting to see what Samuel will be worth with the Eagles having so few suitors and so little leverage.
As a Buccaneers fan, I am very upset over the news. As a UCF fan, I'm delighted. Samuel gives up the big play occasionally, but more than makes up for it in big plays going the other way.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Yankee View Post
What do you guys think about Stephon Gilmore? Lots of talk about Panthers targeting him now, which is a big change from the Cox/Coples/Kuechly discussion most of the offseason. Seems like he's rising, but I don't know much about him.
Love him. I think he's the best corner in this draft. Really want the Bears to land him.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
After hearing some Fleener hype I wonder if it'd be better to take him at 22 and grab Randle, Sanu, or Jeffries at 37 rather than take Wright or Hill at 22.

Richardson, Fleener, WR would be quite a revamped offense.
I think that's the way I'd go when you consider the depth at WR, though I'm not a fan of Wright at all. If I had Little I don't know that I'd roll the dice with another long term project like Hill either, even though I'm high on him. Fleener is a nice option at 22 so long as you're willing to accept that he doesn't block AT ALL. Think Greg Olsen.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:31 AM
Charter Member

Casserly on NFL network says the Browns are talking to the Vikings about moving up, but I'm pretty sure it's bullshit. Maybe Casserly owes the Vikings GM a favor and he's trying to drive up the price. If the Browns did move up to#3, I'd be pretty fucking pissed, because there's not anyone really worth drafting at #4, let alone paying to move up.

And yeah, I know Fleener doesn't block, but he's like 7'10 and runs a 4.2 or something, right? If he wasn't even a TE and was just a receiver, how would he rank? Those guys are going to take over the NFL.

Assuming no trades, I'm going to go with Richardson, Fleener, Massie, and whatever WR (Sanu, Jeffries, Randle, whoever) falls to the third round as a best case scenario.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 04-26-2012 at 02:35 AM..
Old 04-26-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:

You might find interesting Larry Zierlein's thoughts on Glenn vs. Silatolu vs. Zeitler. Zierlein was the O-Line coach for the Steelers in 2008, years of experience, blah, blah. Anyway I found his brief column interesting. FWIW, he likes Glenn third out of those three, which were the only three he reviewed for the column.

My own opinion? You've got me, I certainly haven't watched enough tape to know---not that I'd have any idea of what I was looking for if I had watched tape. I will be displeased if the Texans take him at 26. To cut their starting, effective RT, just to maybe replace him with their 1st rounder, while they have glaring holes at WR, seems foolish. I thought a big point of the zone-blocking scheme was that you didn't need to use high draft picks on O-linemen?

Anyway, thought you all might like the column.