The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM

Straight guys: support gay marriage or we'll marry your girlfriends

Too funny:

Video here.
Advertisements  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:12 PM

I saw it a few days ago. I laughed. It is a bit of a toothless threat though, unless every gay guy married 7 or 8 women.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 PM

What if I want bacon to go with my morning quiche? Will a gay man make perfectly crisp bacon for me? Cause I'd marry that in a minute. Plus, my wardrobe needs updating.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:09 PM

There really needs to be a lesbian version of this video.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
There really needs to be a lesbian version of this video.
I imagine it would involve the enjoyment of checking out hot chicks together.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

That's really funny
Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
I saw it a few days ago. I laughed. It is a bit of a toothless threat though, unless every gay guy married 7 or 8 women.
I laughed, too, and I was also reflecting on the truth of it. We're going to see Wicked next week. My SO is not being dragged or anything, he has culture and class, but he is only going because I requested it for a birthday present. If I married a gay guy I could go see all of the shows I wanted to see!

And some of the guys in the vid were really hot. Especially the tall blond one with the charming smirk.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:55 AM

*jealous*

i wanna go see wicked. stupid city in the middle of nowhere. what's playing at the orpheum, oh look, shit, that's what.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 AM

I'm in Albany NY, and I'm going to see it at Proctor's Theatre in Schenectady, which is a pretty famous and old theatre.

I'd love to go see it with you! MN is a bit far tho.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
I laughed, too, and I was also reflecting on the truth of it. We're going to see Wicked next week. My SO is not being dragged or anything, he has culture and class, but he is only going because I requested it for a birthday present. If I married a gay guy I could go see all of the shows I wanted to see!
I must point out that I'm a straight guy who likes musical theatre. I DID have to be dragged to see THE LION KING, but that's because of my hatred of all thinks Mousish. And my gay friend Brian, a fine fellow in most respects, has an inexplicable -- nay, insane -- dislike of all things theatre-related.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 AM

Oh, there are guys who like it, absolutely. It just leans more on the other side of the spectrum.

I wouldn't go see Lion King either. But not because I hate Disney.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
And some of the guys in the vid were really hot. Especially the tall blond one with the charming smirk.
And on the other hand there's the guy with the black "alien" eyebrows. Who told him that looks good?
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 AM

I am embarrassed to admit I don't even remember him. Too distracted by the shiny (pretty), I guess.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I'd love to go see it with you! MN is a bit far tho.
You say that now. I'm a pretty catty person to see shows with.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 AM

I don't mind! I can be, too.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:50 AM

So wait, let me see if I've got this right. You're going to take them off our hands, financially support them, go to see fabulous shows and chick-flicks, put up with the mood swings, listen to the endless me-centred wittering and actually enjoy the reality TV shows, shoe shopping, diet plans and celebrity gossip? In short, the only time we get to see them is when they're desperate for a dose of cock from someone who isn't physically nauseated by the sight, smell and touch of their boobs and pussies?

...And you're selling this as a threat?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:05 PM

Hush, Mal.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
Hush, Mal.
Indeed I should!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malacandra View Post
In short, the only time we get to see them is when they're desperate for a dose of cock from someone who isn't physically nauseated by the sight, smell and touch of their boobs and pussies?
Physically nauseated?
Old 11-17-2012, 10:53 AM

I was working the polls on Election Day for Question 6 (Maryland's same-sex marriage ballot question). There were a couple people there working the other side of the fence. We were primarily cordial to each other, but I did briefly get into it a couple times with one guy (who was a priest apparently, and at the Church where our State rep who cosponsored the law goes!).

At one point he was giving his pitch to a young woman who clearly wasn't buying it. His coup de grace was that in places with SSM, men areas willing to get married. Who knows if its true, as if it mattered. But as she was walking away he said (defeatedly), "We'll, if you ever want to get married..."

So let me get this straight. You're telling women they need to vote to maintain a discriminatory regime because her only hope is to marry a guy who desparately wants to bone other dudes, but he has to settle for a woman because that's the only choice he's got? Yowza.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
So wait, let me see if I've got this right. You're going to take them off our hands, financially support them, go to see fabulous shows and chick-flicks, put up with the mood swings, listen to the endless me-centred wittering and actually enjoy the reality TV shows, shoe shopping, diet plans and celebrity gossip? In short, the only time we get to see them is when they're desperate for a dose of cock from someone who isn't physically nauseated by the sight, smell and touch of their boobs and pussies?

This needs to be posted on the Facebook wall of everyone who has shared this video.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Bailey View Post
This needs to be posted on the Facebook wall of everyone who has shared this video.
Why? It's completely wrong, and insulting to gay AND straight men.

Unless you're saying the only time you ever want to spend with your wife is fucking her, in which case...uh, okay...I suspect she won't be your wife for long after reading that on your Facebook...
Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
So let me get this straight. You're telling women they need to vote to maintain a discriminatory regime because her only hope is to marry a guy who desparately wants to bone other dudes, but he has to settle for a woman because that's the only choice he's got? Yowza.
Ah, but look at the alternative. Look at it from a guy's perspective.

If women aren't allowed to marry other women, then instead of wild, premature-ejaculation-free sex with the firm, supple body of another woman who they are actually attracted to, after spending an hour together in a hot tub soaping each other up and then with the wet slippery Nuru oil massages....

I'm sorry, what was I talking about? Oh yes.

Instead of that, they'll get to marry me, a dude. And eventually, out of sheer loneliness and a desire for human companionship, they'll convince themselves that that whole lesbian thing was just a phase. And then I'll get the sexy sex! Right? Right? Because after all, if I can't even attract straight women, then you knows I'm gonna get some lesbian sex out of the deal somehow. That's not laughably optimistic, amirite?

This is what is going through the mind of hopelessly religious men in their never-ending quest to avoid reality through belief in fantasy. One minor problem with their plan.... Well, one of many: They're forgetting that while lesbians can't get married, they can still have sex with each other.

So it's a combination of this ridiculous optimism that somehow there will be more women available for men to date, plus the idea that no man anywhere will ever be able to marry another dude, and therefore, consummate the relationship in a way that makes straight dudes run as far away as humanly possible, that drives the straight male vote to deny gay marriage. You get women on board by appealing to religious values, if they're religious. Maybe there's a also small part of their brains that thinks "gosh, maybe I could turn that handsome altar boy straight..."

I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. But in defiance of reality, these fears, naive fantasies, religious values, and general spite stand in the way of gay marriage. Sort of a "If I can't be happy, no one can!" worldview. That's the lizard brain at work.

I'm no better. Sure, I'm an evolved, modern guy. But maybe my support of gay marriage is to show women how sensitive and understanding I am. Which will, in turn, lead to more sex.

That's the smarter lizard brain, but it's still a bit reptilian of me.

Ladies.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post

Unless you're saying the only time you ever want to spend with your wife is fucking her, in which case...uh, okay...I suspect she won't be your wife for long after reading that on your Facebook...
It's not on my Facebook, and my wife doesn't read Facebook, and I didn't say I only wanted to see my wife three times a year for like five minutes at a time, I was just saying it was mighty white of the gays to volunteer for all of the downsides of marriage without the fun parts, which, y'know, I guess we straights would just have to pick up for them after all. Insulting, perhaps, but I think I speak for all of us who're tired of being called uncultured Neanderthal slobs compared to those godlike gays.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post

You caught me. My joke answer to a joke video clearly proves that I'm an evil gay-hating, woman-hating bastard.

Or maybe it was... ya know... a joke.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:40 PM

There will be no joking on the internet!

It is for serious business only. And pictures of cats.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:34 PM

I'm so ashamed

Apology
Old 11-17-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I'm so ashamed

Apology
Man, those are some fine pussies.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
Man, those are some fine pussies.
And legal too, if the site name's anything to go by!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:

Ha ha... +1