The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 07-23-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Can we slow our roll on the whole chain of command talk please? I despise Trump as next as the next person with functioning brain cells, but I'm not seeing Congressional Republicans ever putting country above party enough to actually impeach a Republican President.
I have to agree.
Advertisements  
Old 07-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecurtis View Post
I think you misunderstood Buck Godot's post. DeVos is actually the first eligible woman in the line of succession and so would be prez if all males disappeared! Mckinney hasn't been in congress since 2007 and is in line for nothing.
I meant as an example of a woman less qualified to be running the country than Trump.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Can we slow our roll on the whole chain of command talk please? I despise Trump as next as the next person with functioning brain cells, but I'm not seeing Congressional Republicans ever putting country above party enough to actually impeach a Republican President.
The republicans fail to act at the peril of their own party. They would make the 2018 midterms a landslide for the dems as a whole.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure there is a Republican hard core scenario plan to come in as a knight in shinning armor when the goods on trump become to obvious. Why wouldn't they? Pence is a conservative Republican wet dream that could never ever be elected running as the lead ticket. Pure ruling party calculus.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
I'm sure there is a Republican hard core scenario plan to come in as a knight in shinning armor when the goods on trump become to obvious. Why wouldn't they? Pence is a conservative Republican wet dream that could never ever be elected running as the lead ticket. Pure ruling party calculus.
They may just be waiting for the 2 year mark so that pence can get a full 10 years in.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocus Pocus View Post
The republicans fail to act at the peril of their own party. They would make the 2018 midterms a landslide for the dems as a whole.
I fear you severely underestimate the the Republicans base and their ongoing gerrymandering abilities.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I fear you severely underestimate the the Republicans base and their ongoing gerrymandering abilities.
I have to agree with this. Not only are things gerrymandered to hell, Republicans are amazing at getting their base to actually vote. Progressives will sit out an election because the candidate isn't ideologically pure enough. Conservatives will vote for whoever as long as there's an "R" next to their name (2016, for example).
Old 07-23-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I'll believe that when I see it.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
I have to agree with this. Not only are things gerrymandered to hell, Republicans are amazing at getting their base to actually vote. Progressives will sit out an election because the candidate isn't ideologically pure enough. Conservatives will vote for whoever as long as there's an "R" next to their name (2016, for example).
That's why I have no patience for the progressives. 2016 is the shining example of why ideological purity doesn't matter on a national level.

I have a feeling my volunteer time for 2018 will be spent with GOTV campaigns.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:49 PM

Donald Trump said 414 false things in his first six months.

The Star is doing a running total. 45 gives off a false statement more than twice a day on average. (2.3)
Old 07-23-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBucky View Post
Donald Trump said 414 false things in his first six months.

The Star is doing a running total. 45 gives off a false statement more than twice a day on average. (2.3)

And Cult45 doesn't seem to care.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
That's why I have no patience for the progressives. 2016 is the shining example of why ideological purity doesn't matter on a national level.
What would have been your "ideological purity" vote in 2016?
Old 07-23-2017, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeweyLogan View Post
Anyone other than an asshole Republican.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Why does Loser Donald think health insurance costs $12 a year?

Maybe it's because of a commercial for the Gerber Life Plan he saw on Fox News.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Why does Loser Donald think health insurance costs $12 a year?

Maybe it's because of a commercial for the Gerber Life Plan he saw on Fox News.
That's fuckin hysterical, because I saw Sarah Huckabee Sanders today dodge again the question of why Trump believes that. On George Stephanopolis' show, he asked her if she had a response to that, as she'd promised to ask about it once before. She said that she hadn't had a chance yet to ask about it, but good golly she sure would.

On a side note, I watched Stephanopolis' show today instead of Meet The Press, because MTP was preempted again by FUCKING GOLF!!

Last edited by bobot; 07-23-2017 at 08:51 PM..
Old 07-23-2017, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
That's fuckin hysterical, because I saw Sarah Huckabee Sanders today dodge again the question of why Trump believes that. On George Stephanopolis' show, he asked her if she had a response to that, as she'd promised to ask about it once before. She said that she hadn't had a chance yet to ask about it, but good golly she sure would.

On a side note, I watched Stephanopolis' show today instead of Meet The Press, because MTP was preempted again by FUCKING GOLF!!
She's busy. Every time she lies, she has to be saved again. All day long, lie then save, lie then save. No time for anything else.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:04 PM

I wish a reporter would just ask Trump, or one of his "people" why they don't just submit to Congress his wonderful health care plan that would cover everyone, be much cheaper, and would be so easy to pass. If they have it, put it out there. What can they do? Admit that Trump just lies about everything?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:28 PM

Newsweek report on the Right's calls for civil war and the murders of liberals.
http://www.newsweek.com/trump-alex-j..._medium=Social
Old 07-23-2017, 09:31 PM

Just a month into the Administration, Spicey apparently stole a mni-fridge from junior staffers.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b00e4363dfcf5d
Old 07-23-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post

I have a feeling my volunteer time for 2018 will be spent with GOTV campaigns.
Quote:
There wasn't one and, practically speaking, there never will be one. The point (which I believe you missed) is that there's no such thing as ideological purity. People who need to have that in their candidate in order to bestir themselves to vote...simply won't vote.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
They may just be waiting for the 2 year mark so that pence can get a full 10 years in.
Interesting observation!
Old 07-23-2017, 11:57 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Maybe the network wanted to ask Trump the question.
Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM

Quote:
There wasn't one. That was the point.
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM

Trump’s nominee to lead the Department of Justice’s criminal division used to represent a major Russian bank whose owners have ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...-ties-to-putin
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Then they're also hoping he doesn't get caught too.
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM

...its gotten to the stage where "nothing surprises me" any more. Where you just run out of things to say.

For example: I logged onto the internet this afternoon and found out that Donald Trump has just spoken to thousands of boy scouts, declared he would kill Obamacare to them (to which the boy scouts responded with chants of USA! USA!), managed to get them to boo Obama and Hillary, and added "“under the Trump administration, you will be saying ‘Merry Christmas’ again."

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/d...17-7?r=US&IR=T

I mean: for fucks sakes. What is the rational way to react to what is the new normal for America? And the thing is, I'm not confident at all that Trump will get voted out of office in four years time. This is just madness.
Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...its gotten to the stage where "nothing surprises me" any more. Where you just run out of things to say.

For example: I logged onto the internet this afternoon and found out that Donald Trump has just spoken to thousands of boy scouts, declared he would kill Obamacare to them (to which the boy scouts responded with chants of USA! USA!), managed to get them to boo Obama and Hillary, and added "“under the Trump administration, you will be saying ‘Merry Christmas’ again."

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/d...17-7?r=US&IR=T

I mean: for fucks sakes. What is the rational way to react to what is the new normal for America? And the thing is, I'm not confident at all that Trump will get voted out of office in four years time. This is just madness.
He also gave them a story about one of his rich "friends" and all of the cool stuff he did on his yacht, which he explained to them it would be inappropriate to go into details on.
Old Today, 04:17 AM

A small drop in the ocean of incompetence that is our current president: “For the past 17 years, Obamacare has wreaked havoc on the lives of innocent, hardworking Americans,” sayeth Trump. He meant seven years.
Old Today, 04:59 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
A small drop in the ocean of incompetence that is our current president: “For the past 17 years, Obamacare has wreaked havoc on the lives of innocent, hardworking Americans,” sayeth Trump. He meant seven years.
And yet I don't recall seeing the pubbies who eviscerated Obama for a small numerical slip of the tongue griping abot Trump's inanity.
Old Today, 05:17 AM

That's because Republicans are disingenuous assholes.
Old Today, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
No, he meant 17 -- he absolutely meant 17. That was no accident, no slip of the tongue. He absolutely intended to exaggerate the threat. He would have said 700 if there was the remote chance anyone wouldn't have laughed at such a figure. He knows 17 is safe even if nobody actually believes the lie, it's still an acceptable level of exaggeration in the minds of those who feel aggrieved at having to suffer the indignity of living through the year of the woman, marriage equality, and a black presidency.
Old Today, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
And yet I don't recall seeing the pubbies who eviscerated Obama for a small numerical slip of the tongue griping abot Trump's inanity.
They simply do not care. Dammit, this country was created for Christians and White people. "Their" country was taken away from them, and it doesn't matter how they get it back. If they have to lie or worse to get it back, they will. It doesn't matter how they "win" they just have to win - constitution and human rights be damned.
Old Today, 05:40 AM

Quote:
The only chamber of congress that's even remotely in danger for the GOP at the moment is the House; the Senate is safe barring a complete party meltdown. I suppose that's possible but not very likely.

Republicans are going to continue to work with Trump because they know that he owns the most ideologically active and vocal base of the party. He represents the right wing rage machine, the voters who reliably show up and press the button for anyone with an R next to his/her name. They're going to risk alienating those voters last.

The real problem, and the ominous parallel to late Weimar Germany is that like the German conservatives of that time, the Republicans work with Trump because while on the one hand they think he's a complete buffoon, they need someone with his energy and his cult of personality following. Moreover, they believe that they can ultimately control him and curb his power if he gets too far out of line. The danger is that they will fail to recognize when they have passed the point of no return.

It's worth repeating: Hilter became chancellor of Germany with about 37% of the vote. Hardly a majority, but a majority of people weren't willing to stop him despite all of the evidence showing that he would be a nightmare if left unchecked.