The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-08-2012, 03:57 PM

Well, I'm seeing The Room...

I heard about it (probably from a thread on here) a while back, and I was talking to a friend recently who also wanted to see it. In the course of checking the movie listings today, I noticed that there was a midnight showing at our local art house theater. So I bought tickets for the two of us.

This is my first time seeing a cult film in an art house theater, and I just remembered a thread (also on here) about how it's impossible to see Rocky Horror for the first time in a theater because the movie is drowned out by the audience participation.

Is that just a Rocky Horror thing? Or is everyone in the theater going to have seen this a dozen times and be real annoying about it?
Advertisements  
Old 12-08-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
I just remembered a thread (also on here) about how it's impossible to see Rocky Horror for the first time in a theater because the movie is drowned out by the audience participation.
In the case of The Room, it is impossible to watch the film due to the actors' participation.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:58 PM

It won't matter what the audience does. You're simply going to have to choose not to be annoyed because there is nothing an audience could do to ruin this film any more than the egomaniacal imbecile Tommy Wiseau has already done in spectacular fashion.

The Room is so astonishingly craptastic that it created a whole new genre of film of which it remains the only example. It is truly a cinematic triumph. Don't be surprised if you find yourself owning a copy soon after tonight's screening.

One way or another, you're going to suffer. Just accept it.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 PM

Without the Rifftrax?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

I didn't find The Room to be any fun to watch. The Rocky Horror Picture Show was interesting even in those places where it was bad. The Room is just boring.

Last edited by Wendell Wagner; 12-08-2012 at 08:01 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 12:52 AM

What. The. Fuck.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:55 AM

Oh, hi steronz.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:08 AM

Oh hi Lobot. Wanna play football on my roof?
Old 12-09-2012, 03:00 AM

No. I'm fed up with this world!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 AM
Wannabe Member

My favorite part of seeing The Room were all the memorable lines that the AUDIENCE would shout out at given moments

SPOILER:

Meanwhile, back in San Francisco.... (did any of your audiences shout this out every time they cut to a shot of "The City"?)

I put my evil inside you! (everytime mother kissed her finger and touched her daughter's nose)

Go, go, go, go, go... YEAHHHHHH!!! (scrolling slowly across the goldengate bridge)

Last edited by drewtwo99; 12-09-2012 at 03:04 AM..
Old 12-09-2012, 03:06 AM

As far as I'm concerned you can drop off the earth! That's a promise.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
My favorite part of seeing The Room were all the memorable lines that the AUDIENCE would shout out at given moments
There was extensive audience participation. I'll steal your spoiler box and add some.

SPOILER:

Meanwhile, back in San Francisco.... (did any of your audiences shout this out every time they cut to a shot of "The City"?) (yup)

I put my evil inside you! (everytime mother kissed her finger and touched her daughter's nose) (mostly just a "boop")

Go, go, go, go, go... YEAHHHHHH!!! (scrolling slowly across the goldengate bridge) (yup)

Spoons flying everywhere.

Audience running around the theater every time Tommy was running.

Perhaps the most annoying was that Peter looks at the camera at the end of his first scene, so every time he's on camera the audience shouts "Peter, look at me Peter, look over here." The payoff is pretty good but I couldn't hear any of his dialog. Not that it matters.

Perhaps the most entertaining was that Tommy makes a gesture towards the bottom right hand of the screen during the party scene, like "Quiet down I'm about to talk." About 10-12 people all shot up from their seats and rushed over to the front of the theater, and his gesture almost looks like he's blessing them. It was awesome.

The neck bulge.

The whiskeyrum.

Water!

There was one guy in particular who was doing his own rifftrax. His commentary was much appreciated.

This was at the Drexel in Columbus. Apparently they show this every month and I never realized it.