The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 08-28-2014, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Continuing this 2009/2013/2014 thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
If I had Vicory's problem, I would apply for the Randi $1,000,000. It would take some time. And I'm not sure he could come to an agreement with the foundation. But there's a big monetary upside and it would be a fun project regardless.
I'm not so sure anymore, since I don't think the protocol could be set up. It would be hard to place somebody under continuous observation for 3 months for example.

I located a 2005 thread on the subject at the Randi forum. This report was particularly interesting. The watchbreaker believed that most people unconsciously protect their watch in some way from shocks and the like. Those that don't end up buying cheaper watches, then breaking them even faster: it's a downward spiral.
Advertisements  
Old 08-29-2014, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherieBabe View Post
I think it has something to do with, not a magnetic field, but a electromagnetic field.
Then you don't know anything useful about electromagnetism, you're just picking words out of a hat.

Quote:
I've got another weird issue to throw into the mix too which I believe has to do with static electricity. There are times when I touch my car door to close it that I receive a shock of electricity. Many times I see the zap of electricity go from me to the door. It doesn't happen all the time. I think it's usually during the fall and winter. I don't understand why this happens but when it does start happening, I try to remember to use my sleeve to shut the door instead of my hand.
Yes. That's static electricity. Considering it weird is a bit odd, as it's a very well understood phenomenon. If it happens during fall and winter that's most likely because that's when you wear coats or jackets that generate static electricity when rubbing against the upholstery in your car.

It happens for the same reason that you can build up a charge by rubbing your shoes on a carpet, a balloon on your head or cloth on a plastic rod.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
Yes. That's static electricity. Considering it weird is a bit odd, as it's a very well understood phenomenon. If it happens during fall and winter that's most likely because that's when you wear coats or jackets that generate static electricity when rubbing against the upholstery in your car.
And the air is often drier when it is cold - which means the static-producing materials are drier and create charge more effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherieBabe View Post
I have had this problem for decades. I took a very fine, brand new watch back to the jeweler to find out why it quit working after 2 months and I was told the battery wasn't really dead but actually overcharged. What the hey?
This doesn't sound like the sort of thing a high street jeweller would be equipped to determine.

Last edited by Mangetout; 08-29-2014 at 04:53 AM..
Old 08-29-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
And the air is often drier when it is cold - which means the static-producing materials are drier and create charge more effectively.
I thought it was more about dry materials and dry air being worse at conducting the created charge back out of the body (or item).
Old 08-29-2014, 06:36 AM

Why do birds suddenly appear, ev'ry time you are near?

Confirmation bias.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:36 AM

I'm sad to say that I don't have the patience to read every post in this article to check if this has been discussed before, but I've heard stories / seen pictures of rare people who can apparently conduct electricity with their bodies- they can hold a live wire in one hand and a light bulb in the other and the light bulb will turn on with no apparent damage to them personally. Another man allegedly cooked a fish he was holding via electrical current.

I'm not suggesting that everyone has this ability, but is it possible that if certain people had a similar, but much weaker property, a battery might actually drain slowly into the ground as they wear it? I'm not sure what sort of protection or insulation surrounds the battery and I don't know what the resistance of the circuit is or whether the energy would find a better path of least resistance, so I don't expect this to be the answer, but I thought I should bring it up.

Last edited by dunkleosteus; 08-29-2014 at 10:37 AM..
Old 08-29-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkleosteus View Post
I'm sad to say that I don't have the patience to read every post in this article to check if this has been discussed before, but I've heard stories / seen pictures of rare people who can apparently conduct electricity with their bodies- they can hold a live wire in one hand and a light bulb in the other and the light bulb will turn on with no apparent damage to them personally. Another man allegedly cooked a fish he was holding via electrical current.

I'm not suggesting that everyone has this ability, but is it possible that if certain people had a similar, but much weaker property, a battery might actually drain slowly into the ground as they wear it? I'm not sure what sort of protection or insulation surrounds the battery and I don't know what the resistance of the circuit is or whether the energy would find a better path of least resistance, so I don't expect this to be the answer, but I thought I should bring it up.
What you've heard stories about and seen pictures of are tricks. People in general conduct electricity, though, so some of those tricks are just using the ordinary properties of the body to do something the audience doesn't expect to be possible. Other tricks are just plain old trickery and cheating.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
I thought it was more about dry materials and dry air being worse at conducting the created charge back out of the body (or item).
Yes, I think that's the mechanism of it.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Why do birds suddenly appear, ev'ry time you are near?

Confirmation bias.
I want that on a T shirt.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:51 AM

New watches stop and never recover

So clearly most posters on this board believe people like me have lost their minds, or believe we believe we are something special out of a science fiction motion picture. HONESTLY I currently own 163 watches. 72 are very very nice, pricey watches ($1200+), some are mid range and some are cheap. It doesnt matter. I wear one three or four times and it stops. I wear another and it does the same. I buy another and it does the same. I am a professional person and am careful with my accessories. I spend the $ so I am very careful no to damage in any way. I routinely take the watches in bulk to a jeweler where I spend several hundred dollars having the batteries changed out JUST SO I dont do it incorrectly myself, and THAT be the reason it screws up. But there have been times when the jeweler looks at me and says, sorry, it isn't the battery. It's something within the watch.. that they cannot explain. Bulova is a fairly inexpensive watch. I can wear it til it falls off and it keeps time perfectly. A Patek or an Omega will give out in 8 wears. So, I am not sure why so many of you believe anyone whose watch won't keep ticking for ten years is somehow inept when it comes to taking care of their valuables. There is a reason this happens. Maybe the same reason my sterling silver (I was going to say white gold, but it is softer and that will be most posters' excuse) wears down extremely quickly even if I do not wear it terribly often. I was seeking a real reason for this and most of you blame the person wearing the watch for being clumsy or not knowing when they bang their arm into a door frame so hard that they don't even notice (????). No answers here. Too bad ya can't find a forum that takes anyone's issues seriously. Everyone has to be sarcastic and blame the person. Thanks for not being different. At least I know to stop wasting my time trying to find answers in places like this.

Last edited by bachsmom; 12-09-2014 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: mostly left out a word or two
Old 12-09-2014, 11:09 AM

You know, for this multipage thread, I'm going to do something I probably shouldn't do. I'm going to quote myself, and ask the revivalists what, in particular, I initially said that is so evil ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkcon View Post
I'd heard this before, on another forum, basically, someone was sure that a person was generating a massive, watch ruining magnetic field. And I said that I didn't believe that there is a good biophysical model for explaining how a human could generate a significant one, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lack of peer-reviewed research to search for one. I have no citations available.

My WAG at the time was that I tended to chew up and spit out watches rapidly, back in the day. I bashed more than a few crystals, because I wasn't careful with how I swung my arms. So I have an idea why the watch stopped, and maybe the same thing, on a lesser scale, is happening in your case.

I'd heard people say how psychics can restart stopped watches, by warming them in their hands, the heat thinning gelled lubricating oil for a time. Or something like that.

I'd also have you ask them, if they believe they have mystical body chemistry or magnetic blood that stops watches -- do they stop alarm clocks if they hug them? Can they affect other electronic devices they're near -- computers, other timers?

Maybe the whole thing is a personal confirmation bias.
I'm going to submit bachsmom:'s that I didn't say what you claimed I said, and that you're the one with the closed mind.

I never said you hit the door jamb, I said I did it, and maybe you're doing the same.

I'm going to ask you directly, do you stop other clocks? Electronic timers? Other timing devices? If you don't, maybe it has something to do with the design of watches? Including how they're made, how they're word, regardless of cost or how you claim to be able to treat them.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachsmom View Post
So clearly most posters on this board believe people like me have lost their minds, or believe we believe we are something special out of a science fiction motion picture. HONESTLY I currently own 163 watches. 72 are very very nice, pricey watches ($1200+), some are mid range and some are cheap. It doesnt matter. I wear one three or four times and it stops. I wear another and it does the same. I buy another and it does the same. I am a professional person and am careful with my accessories. I spend the $ so I am very careful no to damage in any way. I routinely take the watches in bulk to a jeweler where I spend several hundred dollars having the batteries changed out JUST SO I dont do it incorrectly myself, and THAT be the reason it screws up. But there have been times when the jeweler looks at me and says, sorry, it isn't the battery. It's something within the watch.. that they cannot explain. Bulova is a fairly inexpensive watch. I can wear it til it falls off and it keeps time perfectly. A Patek or an Omega will give out in 8 wears. So, I am not sure why so many of you believe anyone whose watch won't keep ticking for ten years is somehow inept when it comes to taking care of their valuables. There is a reason this happens. Maybe the same reason my sterling silver (I was going to say white gold, but it is softer and that will be most posters' excuse) wears down extremely quickly even if I do not wear it terribly often. I was seeking a real reason for this and most of you blame the person wearing the watch for being clumsy or not knowing when they bang their arm into a door frame so hard that they don't even notice (????). No answers here. Too bad ya can't find a forum that takes anyone's issues seriously. Everyone has to be sarcastic and blame the person. Thanks for not being different. At least I know to stop wasting my time trying to find answers in places like this.
Sorry this thread wasn't what you were looking for. But if you're actually corroding metals faster than other people you should probably start there. How is your sterling silver "wearing down"?
Old 12-09-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachsmom View Post
A Patek or an Omega will give out in 8 wears.
Patek Philippe watches cost tens of thousands of dollars. You're telling us you spent 5 figures on a watch, and it stopped after 8 days?

Did this Patek watch have a battery, by any chance?
Old 12-09-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyworth View Post
Patek Philippe watches cost tens of thousands of dollars. You're telling us you spent 5 figures on a watch, and it stopped after 8 days?

Did this Patek watch have a battery, by any chance?
The vendor had to have had something more to say to you besides, "Oh, well". Seriously, doesn't the battery change take place in a dimly-lit salon, with a complimentary Expresso? To the tune of chamber music?

OK, I shouldn't be so flippant, given how harsh this thread has been. But really, the most elite watchmakers have to have a better explanation for the small subset of watches that don't last an entire human lifetime. Maybe they're the one's accusing people of banging their wrists on doorjambs or something.

Uncle Cecil and his army of helpers may have to get in on this, now that this tread has become endless. Surely one elite watchmaker has something to say about this. What do these broken watches look like, inside, relative to the exacting standards they usually hold their time pieces to?
Old 12-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

In the case of my skeleton self-winder, it was because a tiny little hand in one of the "eyes", or small dials, broke loose and jammed the works. I wasn't too disappointed as it was only a cheap thing I bought at a Big 5 sporting goods store, but even so the eyes were rather a waste. I don't need a watch to tell me the date, or whether it's daytime or nighttime.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:32 PM

zombie or no

people who stop watches should use wall clocks.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:00 PM

I used to have to replace either y whole watch or the battery every few months. About 10 years ago I bought a Seiko eco drive watch that uses solar energy to recharge. I've never had any trouble with it and the only maintenance I've done over the past 10 years is adjusting the time twice a year with the time changes.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:45 AM

The biophysical objections are a red herring. This is actually a conspiracy by watchmakers who sell defective products to people who would rather rebuy something broken over and over again rather than return it.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:56 PM

One of those Who stop Watches

Yes I have that problem. I have a lot of health issues as I have grown older but this is a thing I have had since I was a young child. I not only notice the problem I proved it to my parents and grand parents. they went to the dollar store and bought a dozen watches digital. we put them on me and watched them fairly quickly fade. they all tripped out. My grandfather later noticed that some of the watches would come back to life with a faint light after removed from my wrist Years later My Estranged grandmother on my mother side told me she had the same problem. I had a doctor tell me how to fix this problem. he said put a piece of leather between me and the back of the watch or get a wind up. I went wind up. I also shock the hell out of everyone all the time. my wife and kids will be witness to that. be it on carpet or concrete I conduct electricity. I wish this was not the case I hate shocking my loved ones It not only scares them but it often hurts them. If I could get help it would be great.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Oh yes, the only possible reason for dollar store watches to "fade" is some mysterious unprovable effect from you. Couldn't possibly be because they were crap watches that a child mistreated. Oh no!
Old 12-31-2015, 03:17 PM

RH negative

It would be interesting how many of you watch stoppers are RH negative in your blood type. I know many RH neg. people that have problems wearing watches, turning on light switches etc. Turning off and on street lights also happens with these people. They generally have a higher IQ, and several other identifying physical differences. They are operating at a higher frequency than others, this is what affects the operation of the watch, the crystal determines the vibration of the watch. This I believe maybe the answer many of you are looking for.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venado View Post
It would be interesting how many of you watch stoppers are RH negative in your blood type. I know many RH neg. people that have problems wearing watches, turning on light switches etc. Turning off and on street lights also happens with these people. They generally have a higher IQ, and several other identifying physical differences. They are operating at a higher frequency than others, this is what affects the operation of the watch, the crystal determines the vibration of the watch. This I believe maybe the answer many of you are looking for.
Can you link to any studies that show any of these claims to be true?
Old 12-31-2015, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

I did have a Rolex fail in less than a year. Boy, you pay eight dollars on the street in Bangkok for a watch and look what you get.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
They are operating at a higher frequency than others...
What frequency would that be?
Old 12-31-2015, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
What frequency would that be?
Obviously the frequency of their aura... or something...
Old 12-31-2015, 06:27 PM

Another word that could be used is vibration. Everything vibrates, even rocks. I am not going to get into a peeing contest, you look it up. Even if a person could site a scientific publication in support of this, your own perception of what is true will over ride any supposed truth to the contrary. Those who I have referred to will understand.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Another word that could be used is vibration. Everything vibrates, even rocks. I am not going to get into a peeing contest, you look it up. Even if a person could site a scientific publication in support of this, your own perception of what is true will over ride any supposed truth to the contrary. Those who I have referred to will understand.
In other words, you can't back it up with anything.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:28 PM

I love the phrase "supposed truth to the contrary."

Why are these beliefs so strongly stereo/archtyped? I know three different guys who have the "unique" talent of turning off streetlights. Why is this such a common idee fixee?

Hey, I can make stars twinkle, and then stop twinkling, and then start twinkling again!

("Just make them drink lots of water, haw haw.")
Old 01-01-2016, 08:32 AM

I had no idea RH negative was a woo nexus, so I had to look it up.

http://yournewswire.com/rhesus-negat...el-human-race/

Nephilim! I love these characteristics:

Quote:
Higher than average IQ
More sensitive vision and other senses.
Lower body temperature
Higher blood pressure
Increased occurrence of psychic/intuitive abilities
Predominantly blue, green, or hazel eyes
Red or reddish hair
Increased sensitivity to heat and sunlight
Cannot be cloned
Extra vertebra
Cannot be cloned! Phew, I feel better already.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I am not going to get into a peeing contest
Coward!

My stream is the stuff that legends are made of.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
Quote:
Higher than average IQ
Lower body temperature
Higher blood pressure
Red or reddish hair
Cannot be cloned
Extra vertebra.
Do Not Taunt Rhesus Negative!
Old 01-01-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Coward!

My stream is the stuff that legends are made of.
That was wind assisted!!
Old 01-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
I had no idea RH negative was a woo nexus, so I had to look it up.

http://yournewswire.com/rhesus-negat...el-human-race/

Nephilim! I love these characteristics:

Quote:
Higher than average IQ
Lower body temperature
Higher blood pressure
Red or reddish hair
Cannot be cloned
Extra vertebra
Cannot be cloned! Phew, I feel better already.
I'm O neg, so let's see.
  • Higher than average IQ:
    Check
  • More sensitive vision and other senses:
    Maybe at one time
  • Lower body temperature:
    Nope
  • Higher blood pressure:
    Nope
  • Increased occurrence of psychic/intuitive abilities:
    My aura doesn't stop watches, so I guess not.
  • Predominantly blue, green, or hazel eyes:
    Check
  • Red or reddish hair:
    Nope
  • Increased sensitivity to heat and sunlight:
    Maybe...
  • Cannot be cloned:
    I've never tried, but I don't have a twin, so maybe!
  • Extra vertebra:
    If so, no one's ever noticed it on any x-rays, or at least they didn't mention it.
So two definites out of ten. Yep, definitely Nephilim!
Old 01-02-2016, 03:02 PM

When I was kid all watches had to be wound.

I had one watch and it always stopped working on me. First day -- fine. Then each subsequent day it would work less and less until it would stop within an hour of putting it on. So I'd put it away and months later take it out again only to have the cycle repeat each time.

It was an old watch. So I was excited when I got a brand new watch for my birthday.

Same thing happened. Exact same cycle.

People told me at the time that there must have been something in my body's magnetic field.

I thought it was more likely I was doing something wrong with the watches. So I tried winding it more. I tried winding it less. Neither worked. The cycle kept happening. The more the watches were on me, the less they worked.

I finally gave up on wearing watches until the battery powered ones came out. I was so excited to get my first digital watch which I wore until I couldn't find the batteries for it anymore.

I still don't know what was going on with the wind-up watches when I was a kid.

Strange things can happen. I once drove from Maine to Florida without the compass on the dash ever once pointing south. Thing was stuck pointing north the whole time. Car engine on; car engine off -- didn't matter. It started out working just fine. But then the compass stuck pointing north. Got me lost a couple of times before I realized the compass was stuck.

But the older I get, the harder it is for me to believe that my body had some kind of magnetic field that interfered with the watches. Yet, I don't have an explanation for what always happened with my watches.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaith View Post
Strange things can happen. I once drove from Maine to Florida without the compass on the dash ever once pointing south. Thing was stuck pointing north the whole time. Car engine on; car engine off -- didn't matter. It started out working just fine. But then the compass stuck pointing north. Got me lost a couple of times before I realized the compass was stuck.
You probably put the compass on or near a speaker in your dashboard. The compass pointed toward the speaker magnet. You spent the entire time hopelessly lost because you were trying to drive away from the speaker in front of you.

I won't try to dissect what happened to your watch other than to say you have no magical watch stopping property. You might be careless enough to break them without noticing. Based on the compass story, I wouldn't bet your powers of observation are good enough to notice when you whack a watch.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
Do Not Taunt Rhesus Negative!
I don't see anything special about downer monkeys to warrant that. Frankly, the little furry primates are awesome to taunt, especially the emo ones.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
That's utter and complete nonsense and you should be ashamed for posting it.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:39 PM

Downer Monkeys. Band Name!

Incidentally, my wife has this issue as well with battery powered watches.Over the course of 12 years, I bought her several decent, seemingly reliable mid-price watches and they all died within six months without fail. Swap the batteries and within months dead again. Bought her a Citizen Eco-Drive and she's worn it for two years now without issue. Electronics are not her friend either but some of that may be due to her not taking the time to learn how to dig into the guts of the software (or user manual). That is a Blue Job, according to SWMBO.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired and Cranky View Post
You probably put the compass on or near a speaker in your dashboard. The compass pointed toward the speaker magnet. You spent the entire time hopelessly lost because you were trying to drive away from the speaker in front of you.

I won't try to dissect what happened to your watch other than to say you have no magical watch stopping property. You might be careless enough to break them without noticing. Based on the compass story, I wouldn't bet your powers of observation are good enough to notice when you whack a watch.
No, I said
Quote:
Got me lost a couple of times before I realized the compass was stuck.
So who's power of observation isn't very good?

Because you're the one who read "Got me lost a couple of times before I realized the compass was stuck" and observed "You spent the entire time hopelessly lost because you were trying to drive away from the speaker in front of you." So I'd say you proved your level of your power of observation.

And, incidentally, both of those times were in the deep in the woods driving on one lane roads. The exact times you would depend upon a compass for direction.

Quote:
I won't try to dissect what happened to your watch other than to say you have no magical watch stopping property.
Again, your level of powers of observation comes into play because I said:
Quote:
People told me at the time that there must have been something in my body's magnetic field.

I thought it was more likely I was doing something wrong with the watches. So I tried winding it more. I tried winding it less. Neither worked. The cycle kept happening. The more the watches were on me, the less they worked.
and
Quote:
But the older I get, the harder it is for me to believe that my body had some kind of magnetic field that interfered with the watches. Yet, I don't have an explanation for what always happened with my watches.
And that's after specifically stating that I thought it was something I was doing something wrong. Not the magnetic field theory I'd been told.

However, your explanation of
Quote:
You might be careless enough to break them without noticing. Based on the compass story, I wouldn't bet your powers of observation are good enough to notice when you whack a watch.
is completely wrong. Which tends to happen when someone leaps to conclusions with inadequate evidence. As was once famously said, "It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgment" which it obviously did in your case.

I only had the one watch and even as a second-hand watch it was precious to me so I was very careful with it. When I got a brand new watch for my birthday, I was even more careful with it.

But thanks for providing the laugh about powers of observation. I absolutely loved that you used that phrase in your post.

Last edited by lalaith; 01-06-2016 at 03:24 PM..
Old 01-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
... they all died within six months without fail. Swap the batteries and within months dead again. ...
What did you expect? Replace the batteries once and it would run forever?
Old 01-06-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
What did you expect? Replace the batteries once and it would run forever?
Of course not, and drop the snark. I have several battery powered watches as well as a nuclear fission powered one (solar Bulova Marine Star) that is my daily wear. My other watches tend to get roughly a year, and in the case of the digital Casio almost two before requiring replacement.
My wife has had several Bulovas, a few Swatches, and a Fossil, IIRC that were all on battery. They all die within a few months and none has lasted longer than 6 months before requiring a replacement cell. The Swatches are actually non-functional at the moment, but I put that down to them being as much fashion wear rather than a durable timepiece. Be that as it may, even the better quality watches die in a much shorter time period that I would expect, especially as they all use common cells, and I get them from the same jeweler. If it were solely due to crappy batteries, why would mine last almost twice as long? Further, I subject my watches to far more abuse than she does.

So far, the Eco-Drive on her wrist seems to have held up.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
... as well as a nuclear fission powered one (solar Bulova Marine Star)
That would be fusion powered.

Typically I get 4 to 5 years use before battery needs replacing. I once had a Seiko that squeezed 6 more months after low battery warning started (second hand sweeps in 2 second jumps rather than one). If you are getting only a year then perhaps your jeweller is installing sub-standard batteries
Old 01-07-2016, 09:18 AM

You are quite right; I apologize for not proofreading a little better....
Old 01-07-2016, 09:24 AM

That is a fair point wrt the batteries, and even if that is the case, my wife's watches still ate them far more rapidly than mine did. Really it is a moot point a we both have solar watches now, mine going on 18 years, and it has only required the storage cells to be replaced and the watch refurbished once. I am tempted to get two identical watches, place new cells in them and have my wife wear one, me the other and see if hers dies first...
Old 01-07-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
No, I said

So who's power of observation isn't very good?

(snip)
lalaith, I read your post closely and digested every word. I was hyperbolic when I said you got lost the entire time. It was for the amusement of other readers. I didn't do it for your amusement because it's not particularly amusing to have your own ridiculous implications called out as I did.

Your entire post seems to vacilate between suggesting that there is some mystical magnetism that stopped your watches when you were a kid and accepting that it was either user error or broken watches. Which is it?

Here is my problem with your watch nonsense. You had some problems with watches when you were a kid. People told you it was caused by mystical magnetism. You believed them when you were a kid. You seem to suggest you don't believe the magnetism stuff now but you won't commit to it. Do you believe that your special magnetism caused the watches to stop when you were a kid?

If you don't believe the magnetism stuff, why do you even bring up the issue of a stuck compass? Did you talk about that because you believe that it illustrates the "strange" magnetism that pervades your life and has caused other things, such as the compass, to not work? Or do you just bring up random, irrelevant things because you can't tell a story?

I don't believe your powers of observation are very good and I believe that your compass story shows this. If the compass were perfectly stuck at north, as you say, good powers of observation would lead you to conclude very quickly that it was stuck. Because even relatively straight roads curve and cause your car to change direction. Good powers of observation mean that you would notice almost instantly that it was stuck north, and you'd instantly ignore it. But being stuck north apparently caused you to get lost "a couple times."

I also don't believe that the compass, when mounted where you did, ever worked. This is a recollection of a story from years ago, and, like most people, you don't remember the details that specifically. You probably remember the generalities like it never pointed south, it didn't work and it caused you to get lost "a couple times." You probably don't remember the specifics as well as you think you do. We all have problems with memory. Elizabeth Loftus has done a lot of very interesting research into how our memory fails us.

I'm guessing that you believed the compass worked because it moved when the car turned and you assumed it worked. I believe that you failed to notice that it never actually pointed in the right direction when you turned, you only noticed that it moved at all. For instance, you'd see it changing direction when you turned, but you failed to notice that even when you were heading directly towards the sun in the afternoon, it was not pointing westward. Instead, it probably bobbled about a bit when you were turning and then generally returned to north when you were done because it was pointing to your speaker.

And, for what it's worth, your criticism of my post doesn't call into question my powers of observation, but rather my reading comprehension. Perhaps the two are related but you haven't really supported that.