Old 10-04-2019, 12:01 PM
I was curious...

That totally sounds like something I'd do. Not to insult you, but I call it 'stupid tax' - paying for stuff when you could have easily avoided the cost, e.g. missing a pre-booked train where your ticket is only valid for that particular time, and having to buy another.

Can you call the landlady? Maybe you're lucky and it's just something that (understandably) isn't high on her priority list, but a 'live' reminder could get her to deal with it. Assuming she is generally honest and reasonable, rather than deliberately holding on to your money and knowing you're unlikely to be able to do much about it.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
That totally sounds like something I'd do. Not to insult you, but I call it 'stupid tax' - paying for stuff when you could have easily avoided the cost, e.g. missing a pre-booked train where your ticket is only valid for that particular time, and having to buy another.

Can you call the landlady? Maybe you're lucky and it's just something that (understandably) isn't high on her priority list, but a 'live' reminder could get her to deal with it. Assuming she is generally honest and reasonable, rather than deliberately holding on to your money and knowing you're unlikely to be able to do much about it.
I will need to phone her, I think.

While I've paid "stupid taxes" on numerous occasions, I don't think she should profit from her own lack of organization. And the amount isn't insignificant - about 400 bucks.

I do have an "in" at the inn, so to speak; the owner's cousin is a friend, and said friend might nudge her if I let the friend know. I've been avoiding doing so because i don't like to bring in a 3rd party.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

(I will say the video editing and creating tools Sophia has available on her phone just blow away what we paid for on our Windows desktop back in 2010 when she started this hobby.)

Oh, uh... sorry for being off-topic! Uh... I ate a lot for breakfast and no longer want lunch? Is that a minirant?

Last edited by JohnT; 10-04-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
[I]JohnT, there's no need to feel down.
I said JohnT pick yourself off the ground.
I said JohnT, airco causing a frown?
There's no need to be unhappy.
If I were a mod, this would be an instaban-level violation of the "don't be a jerk" rule.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
. . . 3. HOWEVER... Sophia is working on a video edit, lining up sound with images, and then doing her f/x. Her current shot is set to the intro of "YMCA", meaning that every times she reviews her work, the short into plays.

Repeatedly. Many times. Many, many, times.

4. So I'm sitting outside where the wind is blowing waiting for the A/C guy because not even air conditioned comfort is worth hearing the into to YMCA over 100 times in a 30 minute period... repeat ubtil she gets bored, or finished.
You mean the poor girl has no headphones?
Old 10-04-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

She has headphones, but when she works on her videos, she likes to do it w/o the headphones. Just a quirk of hers which never bothered me until yesterday, when I couldn't escape.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:48 PM

Stupid fucking hospital. They won't allow fasting tests in the afternoon, basically forcing people with late shift work to not eat all day at work (maybe even risking their health if they must eat for diabetic or other reasons).

They even flat out offered me a 3:30PM appointment (until they realized it was fasting) and I've done the test before, so I know there's nothing special that needs to be set up. It's just that the local hospital has gone downhill.

Granted, my problem is more that I don't have a ride in the morning. So I may be able to resolve it by finding someone who can take me. But finding out about such an asinine policy just pisses me off. It pisses me off even more that I'm going to probably have to bow down to them. I'm too much of an anxious mess to pressure them.

I fucking hate it when I notice something that is wrong, could at least try to fix it, but selfishly choose not to. It just means I'm part of the problem.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Mama Zappa, why did it take you two months to discover you had been billed twice and at the wrong rate? Because to me, that does seem like a very very long time. So if the landlady takes a very very long time to reply to you, that would seem fair.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Mama Zappa, why did it take you two months to discover you had been billed twice and at the wrong rate? Because to me, that does seem like a very very long time. So if the landlady takes a very very long time to reply to you, that would seem fair.
Oh, I definitely am part of the issue. I was swamped with other stuff and kept forgetting to check. And I think I had in the back of my mind that I had 90 days, not 60, for a chargeback - plus I thought the landlady would be more responsive.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Stupid fucking hospital. They won't allow fasting tests in the afternoon, basically forcing people with late shift work to not eat all day at work (maybe even risking their health if they must eat for diabetic or other reasons).

They even flat out offered me a 3:30PM appointment (until they realized it was fasting) and I've done the test before, so I know there's nothing special that needs to be set up. It's just that the local hospital has gone downhill.

Granted, my problem is more that I don't have a ride in the morning. So I may be able to resolve it by finding someone who can take me. But finding out about such an asinine policy just pisses me off. It pisses me off even more that I'm going to probably have to bow down to them. I'm too much of an anxious mess to pressure them.

I fucking hate it when I notice something that is wrong, could at least try to fix it, but selfishly choose not to. It just means I'm part of the problem.
Does the test have to be done at the hospital? Could you go to a blood-draw place?
Old 10-04-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
Oh, I definitely am part of the issue. I was swamped with other stuff and kept forgetting to check. And I think I had in the back of my mind that I had 90 days, not 60, for a chargeback - plus I thought the landlady would be more responsive.
Reg E gives you 60 days from when you receive your statement. If the charge was on the last day of the statement cycle, they're usually virtually the same but if it happened on the first day of the statement cycle you get more than 60 days from the txn.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Does the test have to be done at the hospital? Could you go to a blood-draw place?
They draw blood at my doctor's office. No forms to fill out, no co-pay.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
They draw blood at my doctor's office. No forms to fill out, no co-pay.
I go to a place called Quest Diagnostics with a script from my doctor and they draw and submit samples.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

I have really, really GOT to remember to make up packing lists before I, you know, do any actual packing.

So far, I've discovered I left my brush and comb, my trackball, and my CPAP's water reservoir at home. And it's not like I can run home and get them, since I am currently 2,000 or so miles away.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:05 PM

Packing List:

Priority Three = shit I can buy at Target or Walmart if I forget. (Toothpaste, hairbrush, warm socks.)

Priority Two = shit that's hard to find or buy. (This often involves substances that may not be legal at federal level, but aren't necessarily life sustaining.)

Priority One = shit that's difficult or impossible to replace quickly, or that is life sustaining. Insulin. Prescription eyeglasses/contact lenses. Prescription Rx. Custon made orthodics.

I've reduced a lot of travel anxiety by concentrating on Priority One. Did I pack my Rx pills? Glasses are on my face, and Rx sunglasses in my purse? Okay. Anything else can usually be resupplied at CVS.

This leaves me free to worry about non-packing things i.e. turned off the stove or whatever.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I'm always exhausted when it comes time to start packing, so I keep two packing lists on Google drive: "professional travel" and "fun travel". Whenever it's time to get ready, I just print off the appropriate list. If I realize that there's something I should add to it, I can add it from anywhere. It's saved my butt more times than I can count.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Are we still talking about the "stupid tax"? I just paid one.

Since autumn has finally seen fit to arrive, I decided it was cool enough this afternoon to pull the second rear vent panel off my '97 Jeep to sand and repaint it. I had done the same for the panel on the driver's side, and was pleased with the results. That one had come off fairly easily, with just a bit of prying, so I didn't have any reason to think the passenger side one would give trouble. The panel is held in place with three 'pins' that latch into holes in the body with little rubber grommets. The first two came out with no problem, but the third was stubborn...I ended up prying so hard that the panel snapped at the bottom.

It's somewhat glued back together and drying at the moment, but I don't think it will hold, so I've ordered a pair of used ones on eBay (at what I think is a premium price, but they do happen to be coated in factory paint in the same color as my vehicle).
Old 10-07-2019, 02:47 AM
I was curious...

Sorry, that's not stupid tax. That's "If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks, well it needed replacing anyway."
Old 10-08-2019, 10:14 AM

Yesterday, my boss pulled me into his office for a talk. It seems I am apparently not doing well. I suppose that should be obvious, what with all the things that have happened this year (my grandfather passed away, my daughter was diagnosed with autism and started school, I just had a miscarriage not even two weeks ago...). It really sucks to realize how poorly you are doing from your boss.

But that's not my rant. My rant is that he gave me the number for the employee assistance program so I can get some help with my super obvious depression. And I called the number, only to be told that they don't have a current contract with the company I work for.

Yay. I told HR and my boss about it this morning and they are sorting things out. It takes work to talk about your mental health and your feelings and how depressed you are and it sucks to meet a dead end like that. It also sucks that I know now that everyone can tell and I feel like a giant, terrible loser who sticks out like a sore thumb.

Isn't mental health just fun?
Old 10-08-2019, 10:21 AM

Oh, my god. That is awful. What a faux pax, telling an employee something that awkward and then "oopsie! No contact, sorry/not sorry!" on top of all the other crap you're dealing with right now.

I wish I had something useful to say, or at least something funny to cheer you up. But damn, lady, at least know you have my heartfelt sympathy.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:17 AM

It's ok. I laughed more than anything. I'm an engineer and I'm often called in when things don't work. And, with utilities or things like that, often the problem isn't mechanical... it's financial. (One I'm working on right now isn't entirely our fault. I keep asking the phone company to give me their info so I can pay them correctly and they just keep giving me the run around. I want to pay them, AP wants to pay them. It's like they don't want our money.)

What had actually happened is that my company started a new contract after the old one lapsed but didn't transfer everyone over. Whoopsie! I'm glad it wasn't because we forgot to pay them. That'd be really embarrassing.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:28 PM
I was curious...

I work for a large (FTSE100) company. Twice in the last year some part of our business has gone wrong because of not paying a third party. And those are just two I know about - I don't even sit near/in the Finance department, so there are probably loads more. Ridiculous how things can get to that stage in a large, supposedly efficient organisation.

Mental health at work is a bit "damned if you do, damned if you don't". On balance, I think your boss got it right (stupid EAP mistake aside, which wasn't their fault). It's probably better they have your back and are looking out for your wellbeing, than just expecting you to 'deal with it' and perform at 100% all the time regardless of any personal issues. Hope the EAP is of some help, it can't hurt.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:56 PM

At least people at your office can talk about mental health issues. I cannot believe how the stigma of seeing a therapist has morphed into "Well, MY therapist says..."
I honestly think everyone I work with has seen a counselor of some sort. And far from hiding it, coworkers will mention it in casual conversation.

Now, I work in a creative field. Maybe boring people just keep it bottled up, but my research shows that 99% of interesting people have therapists.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:41 PM

I have a trip to DC in a couple of weeks. There is a hotel convenient to the meeting location. The rate per night is $460! That's twice the allowable per-diem rate. I found a place next to the airport for $300. What a rip-off.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
I have a trip to DC in a couple of weeks. There is a hotel convenient to the meeting location. The rate per night is $460! That's twice the allowable per-diem rate. I found a place next to the airport for $300. What a rip-off.
One thing I've learned from The Dope is to check AirB&B and VRBO rates. Oh, and I've gotten such good deals getting a "package" of flight + hotel, from Expedia or Obitz et al, that it's like the hotel is half price or even essentially free.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I came very, very close to shitting my pants at work this morning. I've been having some bathroom urgency lately, and today when it struck, there were some people at my desk I couldn't get away from. When they finally left, I was in dire straits, so I darted into the bathroom, yanked at my zipper...and it broke. In the up position! I had to run back to my desk for a paper clip to see if I could use that to replace the pull...nope. At this point, I was ready to rip the pants and deal with the consequences later, and thankfully was able to pull them down in time. I even managed to get them back on afterward. Then I called my husband to bring me another pair of pants.
Although this was a near-disaster, I have to admit it went as well as it could have. They were even dark brown pants.
In the "Best Username/post Combination" sweepstakes, Dung Beetle is coming up on the inside stretch. Could be a photo finish.*

*By which I mean "pics or it didn't happen," of course...**

**God, I hope it didn't happen...
Old 10-09-2019, 07:05 AM
I was curious...

I'm sorry, Dung Beetle, I can't help but re-post this 1-2 punch from this thread last year - one of the funniest posts I have ever seen on the boards. Bear in mind the thread title is "Have you ever sharted?":

Quote:
Not this week. But it's only Monday.
Not 2 hours later:

Quote:
Well, hell. I take it back.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:45 AM

No take-backsies!
Old 10-09-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
No take-backsies!
Not Dung Beetle's anyway!
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

I fart in y'all's general direction, very carefully!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

No sooner than I get the car replaced, I go and sit down in front of the computer, and then I'm looking UP at the computer.

WTF?

Reset the height, five minutes later, same issue. @^*&%!

I suppose I can't complain, the chair is pushing twenty years old.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:23 PM
I was curious...

Maybe it just needs more gas. Dung Beetle has some to spare, I believe.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

I think I'll just sit tight today, as it were.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:06 PM

So I just cleared out an abscessed tooth (right upper incisor) that was swelling so bad that it had pushed my nose a little off-center and partially closed my right eye.

I one have one forming now on my lower left bicuspid. Swelling my jaw on that side so that part of my lip droops, making me look like I had a stroke
Old 10-11-2019, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Your signature seems less than fitting for this post, Superdude. Sorry about your teeth.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:10 AM

I lost another umbrella!

Lost one on Sept. 8 before losing this one. Where did I lose it? Beats me. Two in 2 months. Must be a serious mental problem. Is there a Lost Umbrella Group I can join?
Old 10-11-2019, 10:43 AM

Yes, it's formed by Anybody Who's Ever Used An Umbrella.

Last edited by Nava; 10-11-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Are you sure it really got lost, or have you been in the presence of, say, an absent-minded coworker who saw an umbrella sitting around and helped herself, assuming that her daughter had left it behind?

(Based on a true story.)
Old 10-11-2019, 11:49 AM

I've been giving blood for 40+ years.

Today they hooked me up to the platelet extractor, and the return wouldn't work so they shut it down. Only the second time I've not given when I'd made it to the blood center (the first was when I had too many skipped heart beats during the mini-physical). To add insult to injury, they also did an extra stick to check my platelet count (it was borderline the last time - they don't normally need to do that), and they missed the vein the first time (or at any rate that vein wasn't providing any blood), so needed to do another hole on that arm also (also a first - my veins are usually obnoxiously visible - I wonder if it is the sudden cold snap?).

And, instead of a two-week wait to try again, I'm deferred for 16 weeks since there was no return of red cells and I've broached some limit.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:49 AM

My $7000 cat, (last month's rants) has turned into the farting cat wonder of the world. He has always slept on the pillow by my head. I lay on my side facing him giving him scritches until we both fall asleep.
Last nite he bloomed a silent feline fart so bad, that I slithered to the bottom of the bed, crawled out and turned the light on to see if he'd crapped. Nope. Just a massive sneaky silent wafting across my face fart for the ages.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:55 AM

I am frightened at how pathetic most automobiles are assembled if you actually sit and think about it.

I've seen and worked on cars worth 12K to 120K and they all have one thing in common. A single lock nut, or a cotter pin and castle nut, exposed and easily rusted steering knuckles, a brake bleeder screw that can rust or corrode easily to be sheared off, a fuel vapor line inches from an exhaust manifold, tie rod ends with a ball joint that relies purely on weight to stay pretty much intact or 4 threads into the inner tie rod end, tiny plastic clips on wiring harnessed which are exposed and keep things like ABS modules engaged. Not to mention so many with little plastic retainers around tappets on rocker arms, which can shear off, allowing the rocker arm to walk and valve stems to shoot through a valve cover. So many more things that rely on such a tiny piece of flimsy hardware that can be the deciding point whether you live or die. Even if you don't die/are not injured, dealerships would rather accuse you of violating their warranty somehow instead of admitting they assemble all automobiles for the lowest bidder. Recently seen a slew of Honda Fit vehicles... Axle half shafts just snap in half, even if well kept and rust free. Low grade porous metal that effectively rots from the inside. Japanese, German, American, even a damn Yugo are all the same. Think about that, a nut the size of a nickel with nylon in the inside holding a mission critical, potentially life or death part.

I love cars though, driving, stunting, fixing them, looking at them...but it's just the truth. Its amazing that people actually purchase New vehicles... underneath they are all the same, and in many cases, aftermarket parts are actually more durable and reliable than what comes from the factory.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:20 AM

In our weekly phone call, my mother has just proclaimed that she accepted Dad's death (before it happened). Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, it's one of the biggest rivers in the world...
Old 10-12-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
Yesterday, my boss pulled me into his office for a talk. It seems I am apparently not doing well. I suppose that should be obvious (...)

I told HR and my boss about it this morning and they are sorting things out. It takes work to talk about your mental health and your feelings and how depressed you are and it sucks to meet a dead end like that. It also sucks that I know now that everyone can tell and I feel like a giant, terrible loser who sticks out like a sore thumb.
On the plus side, you work for people who give enough of a shit to try to help, even if they don't always get it right. Needing help sucks, but we all do at some point.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:43 PM

Here's a new one for you:

Yesterday (Friday) I went out to check the mailbox around noon. On my porch were four HUGE insulated zippered bags, each printed with the name of one of those "join our local club and get super premium meat -- all organic, pasture-raised, no antibiotic, no growth hormones, heck, maybe gluten and asbestos free -- delivered fresh to your door" dealies.

Which is nice and all, except we don't belong to their club. I was home all morning, and no one had knocked or rung the door bell. It's like the Meat Fairy just decided to dump what must have been close to 100 pounds of meat on our front porch and sneak away.

There were NO delivery tags/paperwork/whatever attached to any of the bags. Outside of their company name and a logo with a happy looking cow and chickens there was ZERO useful info. Not even a company phone number!

(Why wouldn't you put a contact number on your delivery bags? Consider it basic advertising. Maybe I was so struck by your happy little cow I would immediately want to call and demand you start slaughtering some for me right away? Huh?)

Anyway, I despise wasting food, and these sorts of things are expensive, and maybe those bags represented some poor family's meat budget for the quarter or something, so I googled up the company name and found a phone number. Which, miraculously, was answered right away and by a real person. I tell her about the heap'o'meat on my porch.

"Uh." She says. "Who was it supposed to go to?"

???? How the hell should I know? You're some boutiquey little meat service. I have told you that four of your bags were delivered to [my address] some time between 8 a.m. and noon today. Check your order records! Check with whatever delivery van was in this area at that time! Sheesh.

Anyway, eventually she accepted I knew nothing useful (and, NO! I was not going to haul the bags in, open them up, try to determine how many pounds of whatever was enclosed.) You want to know what's in the bags? Ask your employee to check after they pick them back up!

"I'll take care of it," she finally said. And hung up, without so much as thanking me for trying to return their stuff, and possibly keep whoever was expecting this stuff from getting mad at their club.

Time passes.

Every now and then I look out a front window: yup, bags still there.

Then I get a phone call about 3:30 p.m. "Hello, this is Mrs. XXXX. [Meat Company] tells me you have my meat."

Okaaay.... Not the most polite opening line, but whatever. "Yep, the meat's there on my front porch, here's the address--"

"Oh, they gave me your address. It's just not convenient for me to come get it right now, my kids are home. Can't you bring it over? I live at (address with same number and somewhat similar street name.)"

Pause. What the hell? "No. The bags are on the porch. Come and get them. Or tell the company to get them and deliver them properly."

And then she started whining again about how inconvenient it was, because it was raining so hard and she didn't want to go out in it....

And she thinks *I* would like nothing better than to get out in the same damn rain and haul a hundred pounds of meat around for some stranger with entitlement issues???

"Tell you what. You don't want the meat? Fine, do nothing. If the bags are still there Monday at 7 am. I'll have my husband haul them down to the street and dump them into the trash bins for you. Good bye!"

The bags were gone when my husband got home around 6:15.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:13 PM

StarvingButStrong:

... ... .
Old 10-13-2019, 05:33 AM

How horrible is it that I would have simply considered the grocery shopping was done for the foreseeable future?
Old 10-13-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
How horrible is it that I would have simply considered the grocery shopping was done for the foreseeable future?
I would have assumed my gf ordered it and put it in our refrigerator/freezer/bellies.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:23 AM

Purplehorseshoe, you are going straight to hell.

Honestly, that was one of the options I considered, especially after I called the company and they were so, well, ungrateful and then the hours passed.... And DEFINITELY after I spoke with Mrs. "Deliver my goods, you peasant!"

But, well, A) I was brung up mostly right and the ghosts of my parents would never let me sleep again and B) I know a family who are just getting by, and one of the ways they make it is they make a huge buy of meat at some great discount once or twice a year. For them losing one of their shipments might mean the family eats nothing but beans and rice for six months.

Last edited by StarvingButStrong; 10-13-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:37 PM

I'm not a believer in gods, but I do sometimes wonder about the existence of a trickster god; particularly when I see something like StarvingButStrong having 100 pounds of someone else's meat mistakenly dropped off on their doorstep. It seems like a such a cosmic prank that it makes me wonder if there isn't a Loki or an Anansi or a Coyote out there behind it all.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
I'm not a believer in gods, but I do sometimes wonder about the existence of a trickster god; particularly when I see something like StarvingButStrong having 100 pounds of someone else's meat mistakenly dropped off on their doorstep. It seems like a such a cosmic prank that it makes me wonder if there isn't a Loki or an Anansi or a Coyote out there behind it all.
Could be. But for the joke to really work, we'd have to be vegans or something...