Old 01-15-2020, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

I got the Social Security scam call today. After I told them my name was Dick Nixon, and my SSAN was 567 68 0515, they hung upon me. I guess they’ve heard that one too many times.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa
Social Security, the IRS, and Microsoft all have one thing in common: They will never call you.
For the two government agencies, not "never" but only after establishing contact via snail mail. I've had ongoing issues with both of them and once the 'conversation' -- for lack of a better term -- had started they called me more than once, and I called them as well.

Last edited by DesertDog; 01-15-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
What annoys me is that we have a 'no solicitors' sign prominently displayed. If you ignore my wishes, do you really think I'm going to be receptive to your pitch? I've also had religious types tell me, after being made aware of the sign, "Oh, I'm not selling anything!" Of course you are, dear.
I sold encyclopedias for a few weeks in college once. Among the things they told us was that the No Salesmen sign should be considered a target based on the somewhat empirical data that suggested people who posted those signs were often the most vulnerable to a slick presentation. As in it worked more than it didn't. It's what the man said.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwater Under_Duck View Post
I sold encyclopedias for a few weeks in college once. Among the things they told us was that the No Salesmen sign should be considered a target based on the somewhat empirical data that suggested people who posted those signs were often the most vulnerable to a slick presentation. As in it worked more than it didn't. It's what the man said.
My father briefly sold encyclopedias in the early 60s and was told the same thing
Old 01-16-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
IF it was suspended, wouldn't that make it difficult to get your Social Security payments?
I wouldn't think so. All they do is deposit it into your bank account (either your own bank or a provided debit card). You don't need to show them your SS number or anything, and it is nowhere mentioned on any of the paperwork, paper or virtual.

I could see it being a problem getting the thing started, but, once running, it seems to just work.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:55 PM
SDSAB

Is it better to light a Gwyneth Paltrow vaginal candle than to curse a scammer, I mean, the darkness?
Old 01-16-2020, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atimnie View Post
I just got a robocall...

Any call not initiated by a real person is a scam. I never answer the phone, and if a voice mail is a robocall, I just delete. And these fucks can't even leave a proper message, they always start before the beep, so you only get half the message, indicating that it's a poorly run scam. Free money form Nigerian princes is more believable than these scams.

My Pharmacy send out robocalls to tell me my prescriptions have been mailed.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
Not necessarily.

I signed up (online, I think) to start receiving my SS benefits. This would have been 4 years ago....
I was talking about the IRS, My Bro worked for them for 20 years.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
My Pharmacy send out robocalls to tell me my prescriptions have been mailed.
Mine did too for many years, but recently quit doing that. I wonder if it's because of increased privacy scrutiny? Is your pharmacy still doing that?

What was interesting was that those robo-calls were wise to answering machines. It somehow knew to wait for the beep.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Hey, spotted a new scam today, you get a email from "amazon" saying your gift of a expensive TV is on the way.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Hey, spotted a new scam today, you get a email from "amazon" saying your gift of a expensive TV is on the way.
I get emails from "Amazon" every day about a bonus or a reward or saying that something I didn't order has been shipped.

I also get daily emails about "Blue Chew" and canvas prints (which seems like an odd thing to spam).
Old 01-19-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
What annoys me is that we have a 'no solicitors' sign prominently displayed. If you ignore my wishes, do you really think I'm going to be receptive to your pitch? I've also had religious types tell me, after being made aware of the sign, "Oh, I'm not selling anything!" Of course you are, dear.
Once I added a sign that said "No quiero convirterme a su religion," to the signs on my door, finally, people stopped knocking.