Old 01-28-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Many departments donít have rear cages. It sounds like a really bad idea to me but you work with what they give you. When there is no cage itís generally considered safer to put them in the front seat rather than behind the driver. Itís not ideal but it is standard procedure in much of the country. I donít know for sure if thatís the case with that department.
Thanks for that info. I'm surprised that many departments don't have rear cages. Ignorance fought.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post

I'm not a cop, of course. But putting a suspect in the front seat of the cruiser and then getting in next to him sounds like not a great idea.
Some bullshit can be smelled from a great distance, like driving near a cattleyard on a hot day.

-God
Old 01-28-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that info. I'm surprised that many departments don't have rear cages. Ignorance fought.
This site says that if there is one officer, and no security partition, the arrestee will placed in front passenger seat. If there are two officers and no security partition, the arrestee will placed in the left rear seat.

Why is anybody's guess.

-God

Last edited by Typo Negative; 01-28-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:

The Sheriff at the time of Nash's detention was a man named Jackie Knight, a guy who thinks non-Christians are going to Hell...
Pretty standard Christian belief, there. Doesn't make him a "religious zealot". The rest of what you said does make him a dick, though.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:11 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
This site says that if there is one officer, and no security partition, the arrestee will placed in front passenger seat. If there are two officers and no security partition, the arrestee will placed in the left rear seat.

Why is anybody's guess.
Personally I think itís a horrible idea. I donít know that particular organization but it seems that usually itís state police/highway units that they donít bother putting cages in. I guess the feeling is they are less likely to have to transport prisoners. Mostly itís putting cost above officer safety.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:09 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

One cop has been charged with murder:
Quote:
Maryland police charged an officer with murder after he fired seven shots inside a cruiser, killing a man who was cuffed in the front seat with his hands behind his back
https://t.co/ib7fov91qZ
Old 01-29-2020, 11:36 AM

The AP has the story too (no paywall):
Quote:
Investigators didn’t find any evidence of a fight between a Maryland police officer and the handcuffed man he is accused of fatally shooting in the front passenger seat of his patrol car, police said in a report on a murder charge against the officer.

Prince George’s County Police Cpl. Michael Owen Jr. fired seven shots at William Howard Green and struck him multiple times, said the report on Monday’s shooting.
Quote:
Prince George’s County Police Chief Hank Stawinski said during a news conference Tuesday that he asked his special investigations response team to file the charges. Stawinski called the announcement the most difficult of his tenure as police chief.

“I am unable to come to our community this evening and provide you with a reasonable explanation for the events that occurred last night,” the chief told reporters. “I concluded that what happened last night is a crime.”
Quote:
Owen a 10-year veteran of the force, was arrested Tuesday on charges of second-degree murder, voluntary and involuntary manslaughter, first-degree assault and use of a firearm in the commission of a crime of violence.

Owen, 31, of Accokeek, Maryland, is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday afternoon for a hearing on whether he can be freed on bail.
The answer should be "no". He is clearly a danger to the community, IMO.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I am trying, with an almost complete lack of success, to come up with a story that Officer Owen can tell. I can understand his not talking to anyone, especially the press, except his lawyer. But what can he say? "I accidentally fired at him seven times"? "He attacked me from the passenger seat"? "He tried to grab my gun with his hands cuffed behind him"? "I thought he was somebody else"?

"Oops"?

"What the hell were you thinking" seems inadequate, but I can't come up with anything else.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-29-2020, 03:56 PM

Green committed suicide with Owen's gun.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:55 PM

"He said [redacted] about my mother!"
Old 01-29-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
The answer should be "no". He is clearly a danger to the community, IMO.
Bond denied for officer in handcuffed man's fatal shooting.
Quote:
A judge denied bond Wednesday for a Maryland police officer who has been charged with murder after being accused of fatally shooting a handcuffed man in his patrol car.

Judge Robert Heffron Jr. said he found convincing evidence that Prince Georgeís County Police Cpl. Michael Owen Jr. posed a danger to the community. Owenís defense attorney had asked for him to be freed without bond.
This part is hilarious:
Quote:
Defense attorney Jonathon Scruggs said Owen is an ordained minister who is active in his church. He argued his client doesnít pose a danger to the community.

ďThis is not somebody off the street who is alleged to have committed a violent crime,Ē he said.
Uh; yes he is that. He is exactly that.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-29-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Bond denied for officer in handcuffed man's fatal shooting.This part is hilarious:Uh; yes he is that. He is exactly that.
Yes, you're right. He is EXACTLY that. And the ordained minister part is ironically funny. Because ministers, priests, rabbis and imams have NEVER been known to be criminals.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:16 PM

The entire 2019 graduating class of the Georgia State Patrol's Trooper School has resigned or been fired after it was discovered the class cheated on an exam. One graduate of the class of 33 was accused of cheating on the exam in October 2019. He admitted it and implicated other members of the class. Ultimately all 33 members were found to have cheated on the exam. One trooper resigned, and the others were fired.

https://www.wrdw.com/content/news/30...567397441.html

Kudos to the State of Georgia for holding them accountable.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:11 PM

Seems there was a fuck the police protest in New York, objecting to profiling on the subway. Officers appear to have shown some restraint in dealing with it. Not sure the protesters employed the but possible tactics.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:24 AM

L.A.s Finest

Quote:
Ex-Los Angeles sheriff reports to prison for corruption
Quote:
Agents had been secretly looking into allegations of bribery and inmate beatings by jail guards in 2011, when Baca and his top lieutenants learned that an inmate was acting as an FBI informant.

Baca and top brass hatched an elaborate plot to hide the informant in the jail system by booking him under false names and moving him to different locations. They also tried to intimidate an FBI agent by threatening to arrest her.

Their interference scuttled the investigation into civil rights abuses by guards but exposed corruption among the highest ranks of the department, snaring Baca and his top lieutenant.
SOB was able to stay out of prison for 3 years while appealing his conviction.

-God
Old 02-06-2020, 11:12 AM

More of L.A.s Finest

Quote:
Ex-LAPD Officer Found Guilty of Murder in Fatal Shooting Outside Pomona Bar
Quote:
A former Los Angeles police officer was convicted Wednesday of gunning down a 23-year-old man after picking a fight outside a Pomona bar in 2015, prosecutors said.
Quote:
He was a probationary officer at the time of the shooting, but was fired by then-Chief Charlie Beck after being named a suspect in the killing.
He faces 40 years, Who knows how a sentence he will get.

But can anyone explain this to me?
Quote:
A jury deliberated more than two days before finding 32-year-old Henry Solis guilty of second-degree murder with a sentencing enhancement for personally firing the gun that killed Salome Rodriguez Jr., the L.A. County District Attorney's Office said in a news release.
Seriously. That makes no sense to me.

-God
Old 02-06-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
More of L.A.s Finest

He faces 40 years, Who knows how a sentence he will get.

But can anyone explain this to me?

Seriously. That makes no sense to me.
Regarding the jury taking so long to convict the cop, I think it must be very difficult if you're someone still living under the delusion that the cops are the good guys who are here to help us. It must cause a ton of cognitive dissonance to be sat on a jury where someone you've been indoctrinated to believe is a hero is being accused of being a criminal. I bet their poor little brains have to exhaust a shit ton of excuses and pretzel logic tricks before they can finally admit that the cop is in the wrong.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMysteryWriter View Post
Regarding the jury taking so long to convict the cop, I think it must be very difficult if you're someone still living under the delusion that the cops are the good guys who are here to help us. It must cause a ton of cognitive dissonance to be sat on a jury where someone you've been indoctrinated to believe is a hero is being accused of being a criminal. I bet their poor little brains have to exhaust a shit ton of excuses and pretzel logic tricks before they can finally admit that the cop is in the wrong.
Not every cop is bad.

We need police----we cannot abolish police forces and have anarchy

There needs to be better police officers and punishments for those that abuse their power.

It is ironic, that people who advocate for bigger government also believe in anarchy when it comes to public safety----it doesn't mix well, to me.

And I'm not no Republican, I'm middle of the road. It is not black and white in everything.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Seems there was a fuck the police protest in New York, objecting to profiling on the subway. Officers appear to have shown some restraint in dealing with it. Not sure the protesters employed the but possible tactics.
Pouring glue and/or honey into card readers sure showed the cops. /s

While there is plenty to complain about regarding NYPD tactics in the subways. there were quite a few chanting NO police on subways. Those are the type of protesters who don't really think through their ideas thoroughly. Or at all.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Controversial encounters between law-enforcement and civilians - the omnibus thread

Typo Negative, I suppose it’s a matter of the law or guidelines explicitly prescribing a requirement for extra sentencing for the person actually shooting in a murder. It just sounds odd when there is only one person involved.

Quote:
I bet their poor little brains have to exhaust a shit ton of excuses and pretzel logic tricks before they can finally admit...
Way to go. The jury makes the right decision, let’s insult them for not doing it in ten seconds...

Last edited by JRDelirious; 02-06-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Typo Negative
Firearms Sentencing Enhancements for Personal Use
Quote:
Under California gun laws, a sentence for a felony can be "enhanced" if a gun was possessed or used by you or an accomplice during the commission of a crime. In such a case, the sentence for the underlying felony can be made longer -- in some cases, much longer.
Basically, 2nd-degree murder is bad, but 2nd-degree murder with a firearm is worse. From the looks of it, commission of most any felony in CA is worse when a firearm is involved.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Typo Negative, I suppose itís a matter of the law or guidelines explicitly prescribing a requirement for extra sentencing for the person actually shooting in a murder. It just sounds odd when there is only one person involved.

Way to go. The jury makes the right decision, letís insult them for not doing it in ten seconds...
Honest question: is "more than two days" a long time to deliberate in a murder case?
Old 02-06-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Not every cop is bad.

We need police----we cannot abolish police forces and have anarchy

There needs to be better police officers and punishments for those that abuse their power.

It is ironic, that people who advocate for bigger government also believe in anarchy when it comes to public safety----it doesn't mix well, to me.

And I'm not no Republican, I'm middle of the road. It is not black and white in everything.
Eh, cops are just people doing a job. Some are decent, hardworking people who honestly do try to help sometimes. Others are just trying to get through the day, and don't really give a crap. While others are authoritarian bullies, psychos with god complexes, or just really stupid, violent, and racist.

They're mostly revenue agents for the state and guardians of the rich and famous. Someone's got to keep the poor and undesirable in line. When they have good training, hire from inside the community, and have superiors with ethics and morals, then they're not so bad. I'd never go so far as to look at them as heroes or tell innocent children that they're their friends. But having them around in those circumstances is less likely to cause more problems than it solves, at least.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Regarding the jury taking so long to convict the cop,
Just to be clear, I made no comment at all about the jury.

-God
Old 02-06-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Just to be clear, I made no comment at all about the jury.
That was me just trying to understand what you were saying.

Guess I didn't understand at all.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:08 PM

Chicago's Finest

Quote:
Body Camera Shows Chicago Police Officers Pointing Guns At, Interrogating Innocent Children During Wrong Raid
Quote:
Police body-worn camera video from another wrong raid reveals Chicago Police officers not only entering an innocent familyís home, but also pointing assault rifles at and interrogating children without an adult present.
As for Chicago PD, our word for the day is incompetence.

-God
Old 02-07-2020, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Wonderful. They solved the problem of having the body cameras showing them pointing guns at the kids by raiding the home again, this time without the body cameras being turned on.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:26 AM

ICE agents, not wearing uniforms nor carrying a warrant, shot a man in the face after he intervened when they attempted to arrest his mother's boyfriend even though the boyfriend had a valid visa, according to the Mexican consulate.
This practice of not wearing uniforms or carrying warrants seems to be a common modus operandi among ICE agents. I've seen videos of them doing it time and again.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...york-city.html
Old 02-09-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Chicago's Finest

As for Chicago PD, our word for the day is incompetence.
Link didn't work for me. Here's the video on YT.

I don't think it's incompetence. IMO it's due to too many LEOs who genuinely enjoy bulling and harassing people at gunpoint. They think they're at war, and have a military, "us against them" mindset. (Listen to the language they use when they describe what they do.)

I have known quite a few LEOs like this. They get off on busting people. They're scary.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:50 PM

...a tweet just posted by the Sergeants Benevolent Association for the NYPD. Posted in full in case they delete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBANYPD
Mayor DeBlasio, the members of the NYPD are declaring war on you! We do not respect you, DO NOT visit us in hospitals. You sold the NYPD to the vile creatures, the 1% who hate cops but vote for you. NYPD cops have been assassinated because of you. This isnít over, Game on!
https://twitter.com/SBANYPD/status/1226622830244171781

A police union declaring war on the Mayor of New York.

Totally normal fucking country.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...a tweet just posted by the Sergeants Benevolent Association for the NYPD. Posted in full in case they delete.

Yes. You should declare WAR on the Mayor.

But these guys, you should protect.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/n...e-brothel.html
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...nxa-story.html
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/diamo...rats_b_9691170
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/04...candal-arrest/
https://gothamist.com/news/videos-hy...lls-discipline
https://newsone.com/3891574/nypd-subway-brawl-video/

And way, way too many more.....

NYPD is a corrupt organization.

-God
Old 02-10-2020, 12:35 PM

Video appears to show jail staff ignoring pleas from dying inmate

Human life worth nothing in Oklahoma

Quote:
Former jail nurse Theresa Horn is heard screaming at Terral about faking an illness ("I'm sick and tired of f****** dealing with your a**. Ain't a damn thing wrong with you"), less than four hours before he was found unresponsive in his cell. She told Ellis that EMS had found nothing wrong with him.
Quote:
Twelve days after he arrived, Ellis died of sepsis and pneumonia. He was only 26 years old.
He pleaded for help for days.

-God
Old 02-10-2020, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post

Sad part is that the SBA is the more sane brother of Pat Lynch's Patrolmen's Benevolent Association. Neither union has heard of a grift they wouldn't defend as long as an NYPD officer benefits.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:40 PM

A black man in Oregon, Michael Fesser, complained to his boss that he felt like he was being discriminated against because of how he was being treated by his co-workers. The owner of the company contacted his friend, the police chief of the town of West Linn, who sent two police officers to surveille Fesser, because his boss accused him of stealing from him, without a warrant or probable cause. Even though they found no evidence of Fesser having stolen anything, they arrested him and held him for eight hours before releasing him on his own recognizance. They then called him back to the police station to pick up his property, and while there, the police told Fesser that he had been fired from his job.
Fesser is suing the city and his former boss.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-then-n1135011
Old 02-12-2020, 01:21 AM

West Linn is halfway between Lake Oswego and Oregon City – I would most certainly not want to be some suspicious ethnicity while down in that area.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:29 PM

I think this waste of biomass was mentioned earlier, but..

Former Jackson County deputy accused of planting drugs facing new charges

Quote:
Zachary Wester allegedly planted drugs in people's cars during what seemed to be routine traffic stops, resulting in more than 100 people being wrongly charged.

According to court records, Wester plead not guilty to 52 charges related to official misconduct, perjury, fabrication of evidence, possession of drugs, and false imprisonment. Now he's facing 23 new charges in connection to the false arrests.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:39 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

College swim team takes bathroom break on the way back from a road trip. Local deputies spot the teamís only black member, tackle him, put a gun to his head, threaten to kill him. They later claim they mistakenly thought heíd taken the bus hostage.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1137126
Old 02-15-2020, 11:04 PM

A woman in North Carolina took her 16 year old son to the ER at the local hospital because he was having a mental breakdown. Before she could get him inside, though, the hospital security guard threw him to the ground and began punching him. The real cops showed up, and one of them began punching the kid, until his partner pulled the cop off the kid and tackled HIM to the ground.
https://www.wbtv.com/2020/02/14/vide...ty-outside-er/

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 02-15-2020 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
A woman in North Carolina took her 16 year old son to the ER at the local hospital because he was having a mental breakdown. Before she could get him inside, though, the hospital security guard threw him to the ground and began punching him. The real cops showed up, and one of them began punching the kid, until his partner pulled the cop off the kid and tackled HIM to the ground.
I don't want to say what I think should be done to those security guards, that cop and the lady who tried to justify their behavior but I'd settle for a few years of jail time for each of them and some restitution for the young man and his family.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:46 AM

Quote:
UltraVires

But he was DANGEROUS! That cop feared for his life! The child should be happy that the police officer didn't open fire, as he had every right to do.

/UltraVires
Old 02-17-2020, 02:56 PM

Racist, power-tripping cop harasses 2 men and a baby in Johnstown, NY. (7:54 video)
Old 02-18-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Let's not forget pulling the weapon.

I saw nothing on that video that would make me think the kid was a threat of any kind. This was confirmed by that fact that the guard was able to throw him around like a rag doll.

What? He mouthed off? People with mental health issues tend to do that. It's like they are mentally ill!

-God
Old 02-18-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I saw nothing on that video that would make me think the kid was a threat of any kind. This was confirmed by that fact that the guard was able to throw him around like a rag doll.
This remark is reminiscent of that recent case where the school cop, escorting a kid in a hallway, suddenly and for no obvious reason picked the kid up and body-slammed him, twice.

Did we ever see a follow-up on that story? WTF was that all about?
Old 02-18-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
This remark is reminiscent of that recent case where the school cop, escorting a kid in a hallway, suddenly and for no obvious reason picked the kid up and body-slammed him, twice.

Did we ever see a follow-up on that story? WTF was that all about?
Fired and charged with battery, I believe.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
Fired and charged with battery, I believe.
But what brought that all on in the first place? Was there ever any follow-up news article describing what that was all about?
Old 02-19-2020, 04:19 PM

Peekskill police officer accused of making woman undress

Peeksill's Finest

Quote:
Agovino, 33, faces felony charges of first-degree sexual abuse, first-degree stalking as a sexually motivated felony, and second-degree burglary as a sexually-motivated felony.
Quote:
Authorities said Agovino's crimes against one Peekskill woman occurred on multiple occasions while he was in uniform and on duty.

-God
Old 02-20-2020, 12:24 PM

I don't recall if this incident made our discussion when it happened, but here it is now: Family of man killed by trooper seeking more than $10M.
Quote:
Lawyers for the family of Mubarak Soulemane, 19, asked the state claims commissioner for permission to sue the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection and top state police officials including Public Safety Commissioner James Rovella for $10 million.

They also filed notice with the town of West Haven that they intend to sue the town and local police officials for an undisclosed amount of money.

The attorneys and family on Thursday also called on the state to convene a grand jury for a criminal investigation into the fatal shooting.

“I want justice. I want justice,” Soulemane’s mother, Omo Mohammed, said in an interview Thursday. “I want this policeman to go to jail for killing my son.”
Quote:
State police said Soulemane carjacked a vehicle in Norwalk on Jan. 15 before leading troopers on a chase on Interstate 95 into West Haven. Officials said Soulemane struck two state police cruisers and a civilian’s vehicle before troopers stopped his vehicle by boxing it in. West Haven police also responded to the scene.

State police body camera videos show a West Haven officer smashing out the passenger door window of the stolen car before a trooper shoots Soulemane with a stun gun, which didn’t work. Another trooper, Brian North, then fired his handgun seven times through the driver’s door window when Soulemane displayed a knife, state police said.
Quote:
“Clearly ... the video shows the police officer was in no imminent danger ... when he fired seven shots rapidly into the car,” said civil rights attorney Sanford Rubenstein, who is representing Soulemane’s family. “More important than money damages is that this police officer be held accountable for his actions.”