Old 01-02-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
The outcome may be inevitable, but it doesn't mean the reasons for impeachment should be overlooked.
It should be overlooked if the senate says it should be overlooked. That is the nature of political questions. There simply isn't enough to force politicians to vote against their partisan loyalties... yet.

I don't think the impeachment is inevitable. Pelosi has more political acumen than you and me put together. Right now she has every Republican congressman on the record defending trump.

Perhaps she has an ace up her sleeve, perhaps she sees this as a cost free lottery ticket (if she just withholds the articles of impeachment from the senate.

If nothing changes, she can just sit on the impeachment and make republicans feel uncomfortable. If another shoe drops between now and election day, which dramatically changes the calculus, it is going to be very hard for those republican congressmen to nuance their way out of their vote to protect trump from impeachment. Then she gets a shit ton of moderates in her caucus and that allows her to outright ignore the far left wing of her caucus.

Quote:
You're focusing on the FISA investigation. That's not the reason for impeachment. Trump's attempt to strongarm Ukraine is unconstitutional, and Trump himself gave the evidence. There's plenty of other reasons for impeachment, but this is the most solid and unambiguous.
The recording is pretty damning but not unambiguous.

Quote:
What does qualify for the threshold if violating the Constitution does not?
How did he violate the constitution again in a way that previous unimpeached presidents have not? Please explain how he has so clearly violated the constitution that Republican politicians are duty bound to vote against their own party?
Old 01-02-2020, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Wait, are we looking for a better quality of Trump defense on the impeachment issue, or have we already stipulated that an intelligent defense or excuse is impossible, in which case what's the point. On the impeachment-defense side, as Damuri Ajashi said, it's a political call and it's on the Senators' consciences to make the right one.

As to the more general issues:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Well to be fair, I was saying why we don't get many conservative voices on here- and I stand by that- you can't have a discussion about philosophy and policy if one side or the other persists in arguing it from a moral stance perspective.
I mean, you can be opposed to single-payer health care or universal health care without being some kind of monster- it's not that simple. (and I bet someone tells me I'm wrong there in this thread)
Well but then is that a reflection of the often mentioned broader IRL issue of "polarization" in which the debating sides become more Morally Absolutist about the other group being not just wrong but evil, combined with the rise of "All In Or Nothing" Whole-Package-ism -- so, conservatives are put in a position of not being able to defend some specific policy without being expected, or presumed (with the burden on them to prove otherwise) to endorse anything that's a GOP proposal AND be unconditional Scuzzbucket-in-Chief apologists.

Quote:
Don't take that to mean that I'm defending Trump. I'm not. There's no real defending him or his gangsterish behavior- it's out of the pale of how ANY elected official in a democratic government should behave, and I suspect had he been elected to any other government office, he'd have been removed or marginalized long before now.

But I also think that there are a lot of conservative (little-C) people out there who are just sort of laying low and who won't engage on here on topics outside of defending Trump because of the hostile environment. And that is something I think is a problem.
And I'm sure there are small-c conservatives who would likely prefer to be able to be engaging on policy topics AS policy topics, except they know they will be challenged on "but what about Trump? you voted for him didn't ya?" and that's not in the SDMB alone: the ones I know from the IRL political world who have become disengaged I see mostly lying low hoping it's over soon, but some of them did so in despair in that by now Trumpism IS the platform.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 01-02-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
When you summarize Anti-Trump sentiment as a "liberal echo chamber," you show you're not considering their arguments. You're not addressing their cause for concern. By doing so, you're adding more to the conflict. That's what the OP is trying to parse. Conservatives' only answer to conflicts of their logic is to dismiss such questions as liberal whining, and it's fucking maddening.
The echo chamber existed before trump was elected.

I am not a trump supporter and under any objective standard would be considered a moderate liberal, but I have friends that are trump supporters. They seem to support trump during impeachment for the same reason that feminists supported clinton during monica Lewinsky. There was a bigger policy objective they were concerned with.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:01 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Bigger policy objectives? I just retired from a firm where the most popular bumper sticker was a variation of the unauthorized "Calvin taking a piss", only instead of Calvin's face it is Trump's and he is pissing on someone labeled as a "liberal".
Old 01-02-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
In much the same way that Emmett Till was good for the civil rights movement - paraphrasing Chappelle
[...]
There are probably lessons for all sides.
That figures, as there are good people on both sides... oh, wait!
Old 01-02-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How did he violate the constitution again in a way that previous unimpeached presidents have not?
He got caught at it.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
He got caught at it.
And they said stupidity is not a crime.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Who is the rapist? Because I'm pretty sure that none of them have been convicted of rape and no one is pursuing rape charges against any of them.
That's funny. How come that's not the standard you guys apply to Hillary? Or Obama? Or whatever Dem Trump and his fans are calling traitors these days----for not applauding him? Or for quoting him verbatim? Not to mention his charming attacks on the truth, sixteen-year-old girls, POWs, dead men, and pregnant Gold Star widows, of course.

Quote:
The Democrats don't think they can prove Kavanaugh is a rapist. They just wanted to delay his confirmation long enough to have the mid term elections and hopefully flip the senate.
This is why people call Repubs disingenuous.

No reason to delay? Aside from the fact that he ranted and screamed and sobbed and blatantly lied to Congress, who paid off hundreds of thousands of dollars of debts for him?

Quote:
When that didn't happen, you never heard another word about those rape allegations. Not because it's not possible that he attempted to rape Christine Blaisey Ford but because there was never enough evidence to establish that he had.
Let's face it, NO proof would change a Republican mind. You will not read anything that's not from one of your fever swamp paranoid hate sites, bit that doesn't stop Repubs from demanding proof.

And it"s terribly odd aside from that, because when you guys are faced with innocent Dems, you just make shit up, like Qanon, Pizzagate, Benghazi-gate, Uranium One....James O'Keefe's entire career consists of deceitfully editing videos till their subjects appear to be saying exactly the opposite of what they actually said. "LOCK HET UP!" Lying so far that reality becomes inverted is how Republicans cope with their disgusting beliefs.

The FBI was ordered to limit the investigation into Kavanaugh. There's a big difference between "never heard again" and was willfully suppressed. Is that a personal problem or a tactical decision, because it resembles a lot of Repub lies? It's practically a different language. "Background checks", for example, when run through the GOP translation section of the GOP 'brain', comes out as, "OMAGAWD MARTHA THE JACKBOOTED THUGS AND THAT KENYAN MUSLIM DUDE ARE GOING TO TAKE OUR GUNS!"

If the tables were turned, and Kavanaugh were liberal.... Oh. Wait. That's right. Dems boot out their pussygrabbers; the GOP elects theirs.

Quote:
While Trump has more unqualified judicial nominees than most presidents before him, the vast majority of his nominees are rated as fully qualified by the ABA. He gets most of them straight from the Heritage Foundation's list.
All his judges are Reichwing nutjobs. They are anti choice, anti LGBTQ rights, pro-Trump----which alone says they're not fit to be dogcatchers----and have to be crazed Rightwing loyalists.

Um, no.

Quote:
You want different judges? Then try winning an election. Right now trump is the devil we know, that is the incumbent advantage. None of your scolding follows voters into the voting booth.
You lying shitweasel. Mitch McConnell REFUSED to even hold hearings for any of Obama's nominees. Not are you a lying scumsucker, you are actually blaming the recipient of your party's abuse. This is added on top of the fact that Republicans are devoted to stripping Dems off voter rolls, gerrymandering Dems out of existence, and getting any and all foreign help they can is vile.

Quote:
Figure out why trump won and address those factors. If you conclude that trump won because americans are horrible people who like to vote for horrible people then all hope is lost and you might as well move to Sweden. Otherwise, you will have to convince people who don't already think like you.
We already know why Trump won, and it's because of lying assholes like you. And fuck you, I fought for this country once, and I'll be fucked if I back down before a bunch of ranty geriatrics, Stolen Valor poseurs, basement incels and bleached blonde Cool Girls who can't compete on the basis of brains.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
The recording is pretty damning but not unambiguous.

How did he violate the constitution again in a way that previous unimpeached presidents have not? Please explain how he has so clearly violated the constitution that Republican politicians are duty bound to vote against their own party?
Trump used the might and power of the office of the President of the United States to withhold military funding and weapons from a small nation being occupied by the forces of his great pal, Vladimir Putin. (If your standard of guilt for Repubs requires crystal clear confessions it's a striking change from the way you guys treat Republican false accusations against Dems.) Hanging over the conversation was Putin, whose enemies and critics have a marked tendency to suddenly drop dead.

And now, after Trump abandoned the Kurds to be slaughtered, what form would such threats take?

Eleven people died while Trump jerked Zelensky around.

Why is that not bad enough?
Old 01-02-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
I get that Trump's behavior is pretty indefensible, but there must be someone at the Federalist Society or Heritage that is putting out something remotely plausible that our local knuckleheads could use instead of actual Russian propaganda about Ukraine.
I'm just here to say that this is hilarious. The whole thread is hilarious.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:

I don't think the impeachment is inevitable.
I don't know how to break it to you or other Republicans, but the impeachment is as inevitable as anything that already happened. Trump was impeached. What we're talking about is the sentencing phase.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I don't know how to break it to you or other Republicans, but the impeachment is as inevitable as anything that already happened. Trump was impeached. What we're talking about is the sentencing phase.
Impeachment is a charge, a trial follows and once conviction is secured sentencing follows.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
Trump used the might and power of the office of the President of the United States to withhold military funding and weapons from a small nation being occupied by the forces of his great pal, Vladimir Putin. (If your standard of guilt for Repubs requires crystal clear confessions it's a striking change from the way you guys treat Republican false accusations against Dems.) Hanging over the conversation was Putin, whose enemies and critics have a marked tendency to suddenly drop dead.

And now, after Trump abandoned the Kurds to be slaughtered, what form would such threats take?

Eleven people died while Trump jerked Zelensky around.

Why is that not bad enough?
Eleven people died while Trump jerked Zelensky around? How many died in Chicago, a single state in the USA during that period?
Old 01-02-2020, 01:17 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyPhil View Post
Impeachment is a charge, a trial follows and once conviction is secured sentencing follows.
He was impeached, correct?
Old 01-02-2020, 01:19 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Eleven people died while Trump jerked Zelensky around? How many died in Chicago, a single state in the USA during that period?
Still not a Trump supporter, I see.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crywalt View Post
I'm just here to say that this is hilarious. The whole thread is hilarious.
What, do I amuse you? How am I funny? Am I funny like a clown?
Old 01-02-2020, 01:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Yeah, he was...His approval has also gone up, funny how that works.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Still not a Trump supporter, I see.
Nothing has changed in that department...You keep on chasing Trump ghosts around any corner, okay?
Old 01-02-2020, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No reason to delay? Aside from the fact that he ranted and screamed and sobbed and blatantly lied to Congress, who paid off hundreds of thousands of dollars of debts for him?
This statement is unclear - are you asserting that Congress paid off hundreds of thousands of dollars of debts for Kavanaugh?
Quote:
You lying shitweasel. Mitch McConnell REFUSED to even hold hearings for any of Obama's nominees.
I suspect Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan would not agree with what you mention above.
Quote:
And fuck you, I fought for this country once, and I'll be fucked if I back down before a bunch of ranty geriatrics, Stolen Valor poseurs, basement incels and bleached blonde Cool Girls who can't compete on the basis of brains.
Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now!

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-02-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Please do not beat me up or whatever Joe Pesci did in the movie which I don't quite remember.

Could I watch the video? I certainly could!

Anyway, what's hilarious is a) that there might be better arguments for Trumpism and b) watching people make fun of Trumpists.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Trump impeachment: A very simple guide

The US constitution states a president "shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes or misdemeanours".

A rough transcript of the call revealed that Mr Trump had urged President Zelensky to investigate discredited allegations against Joe and Hunter Biden.

The call came shortly after Mr Trump had blocked the release of millions of dollars in US military aid to Ukraine. A senior official later testified that the president made clear the release of the aid was conditional on Mr Biden being investigated, but the White House denies this.

In a series of public hearings, a procession of US officials have testified that there was a White House shadow foreign policy led by the president's personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani.

Its aim was to get Ukraine to open an investigation into the Bidens and declare as much publicly.

-----------------

Strong-arming a foreign country to investigate a political rival sounds pretty heinous, don't you think? Every past president that supported sanctions or withheld aid did so to oppose countries that violate human rights, not to gain leverage for his own personal gains. Never mind Trump's intentions. He's clearly ignorant of the law and the Constitution (except for the part about guns) and should be fired for utter incompetence.

Oh that's right, you only see "liberal echo chamber."
Old 01-02-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Did your fontanel ever close?
Old 01-02-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
This statement is unclear - are you asserting that Congress paid off hundreds of thousands of dollars of debts for Kavanaugh?
I suspect Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan would not agree with what you mention above.
Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now!

Regards,
Shodan

Fuck off and stop jerking around, asshole. I see you are once again being an asshole about my service. You compared me to a notoriously ignorant fictional character.

So much for that fake apology of yours, eh?
Old 01-02-2020, 02:40 PM

Fuck it, I ain't editing.

McConnell bragging about he stole vacant judicial sears from Obama. .

Shodan will now, of course, pretend to be confused and ask, "But whatever could you possibly mean?"

This shit----from a guy several decades past adolescent edgelorditude----is why I despise conservatives. I hope each and every one of them finds themselves experiencing all the treatment they wished on others as evinced by the scummy politicians they defend.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
That's funny. How come that's not the standard you guys apply to Hillary? Or Obama? Or whatever Dem Trump and his fans are calling traitors these days----for not applauding him? Or for quoting him verbatim? Not to mention his charming attacks on the truth, sixteen-year-old girls, POWs, dead men, and pregnant Gold Star widows, of course.

This is why people call Repubs disingenuous.

Let's face it, NO proof would change a Republican mind. You will not read anything that's not from one of your fever swamp paranoid hate sites, bit that doesn't stop Repubs from demanding proof.

And it"s terribly odd aside from that, because when you guys are faced with innocent Dems, you just make shit up, like Qanon, Pizzagate, Benghazi-gate, Uranium One....James O'Keefe's entire career consists of deceitfully editing videos till their subjects appear to be saying exactly the opposite of what they actually said. "LOCK HET UP!" Lying so far that reality becomes inverted is how Republicans cope with their disgusting beliefs.

The FBI was ordered to limit the investigation into Kavanaugh. There's a big difference between "never heard again" and was willfully suppressed. Is that a personal problem or a tactical decision, because it resembles a lot of Repub lies? It's practically a different language. "Background checks", for example, when run through the GOP translation section of the GOP 'brain', comes out as, "OMAGAWD MARTHA THE JACKBOOTED THUGS AND THAT KENYAN MUSLIM DUDE ARE GOING TO TAKE OUR GUNS!"

If the tables were turned, and Kavanaugh were liberal.... Oh. Wait. That's right. Dems boot out their pussygrabbers; the GOP elects theirs.

All his judges are Reichwing nutjobs. They are anti choice, anti LGBTQ rights, pro-Trump----which alone says they're not fit to be dogcatchers----and have to be crazed Rightwing loyalists.

Um, no.

You lying shitweasel. Mitch McConnell REFUSED to even hold hearings for any of Obama's nominees. Not are you a lying scumsucker, you are actually blaming the recipient of your party's abuse. This is added on top of the fact that Republicans are devoted to stripping Dems off voter rolls, gerrymandering Dems out of existence, and getting any and all foreign help they can is vile.

We already know why Trump won, and it's because of lying assholes like you. And fuck you, I fought for this country once, and I'll be fucked if I back down before a bunch of ranty geriatrics, Stolen Valor poseurs, basement incels and bleached blonde Cool Girls who can't compete on the basis of brains.
This was a wonderful rant.

Also, fuck Shodan.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Funny, indeed, given how his average approval rating has been on the decline since 17 December.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-02-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin
Conservative judge appointments? You mean unqualified nutjobs who hate women, POC, and LGBTQ, to judge by their comments? Judges who've never tried a case? "A call for more transparency in medical billing"? We needed to elect this monumental asshole for that?! It's just another idiotic promise like, "build that wall!" Arms sales to US allies----you mean, only if they slander his rivals? Reduction in taxes-----if you're rich. More oil drilling without regulation at huge cost to the environment, you mean? Increased defense spending----like when he stole money from military bases for his stupid wall? And do you call it "confrontation" when Trump starts an absolutely idiotic tariff war that hurts American farms and businesses?

You are a walking syphilis lesion with pretenses of humanity. Michelle Bachmann looks warm and kind and actually sensible next to you, where most of the time she looks like her human skin suit zipper itches because her hubby's taking a little longer than usual seasoning her rat snacks, thanks to that extra xanax.
Well, OP answered.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
slEasyPhil is impervious to information from anything but right-wing propaganda sources and Russian troll farms.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Well, OP answered.
This is why we can never make new friends.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fuck it, I ain't editing.

McConnell bragging about he stole vacant judicial sears from Obama. .

Shodan will now, of course, pretend to be confused and ask, "But whatever could you possibly mean?"
Oh, I am not confused about that part - you followed up an accusation of someone else being a lying shitweasel by telling a direct and easily disprovable lie.

The other part, where you apparently claimed that Congress paid hundreds of thousands of dollars of Kavanaugh's debts, is the only part that remains unclear. I can't believe that even you think this is what happened, so I assumed you merely mistyped.

Of course if you have a cite that shows that this actually happened, that would be a different matter, but you don't, so it isn't.
Quote:
You compared me to a notoriously ignorant fictional character.
I am glad to see that you were able to understand the point of the quote.
Quote:
This shit----from a guy several decades past adolescent edgelorditude----is why I despise conservatives.
Hm.
Quote:
You are a walking syphilis lesion with pretenses of humanity.
Quote:
you lying self indulgent selfish shit stain.
Quote:
lying assholes like you
Quote:
fuck you
Quote:
Fuck off
No doubt I'm older than you, but I don't think that helps.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-02-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
slEasyPhil is impervious to information from anything but right-wing propaganda sources and Russian troll farms.
Maybe Phil O'Dendron is using a poll of one, like Calvin did for his dad.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Maybe Phil O'Dendron is using a poll of one, like Calvin did for his dad.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Most people, knowing that the majority of the Senate moves back and forth between the two parties, would at least attempt to see if McConnell was the Senate Majority Leader before making such a claim. And all of those people, upon realizing that both were approved by the Senate under the Majority leadership of Harry Reid (D), would shut their mouths to not appear ignorant.

Sadly, you're still not most people, and being incorrect has never been a problem for you to blast your stupidity to the world.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
The other part, where you apparently claimed that Congress paid hundreds of thousands of dollars of Kavanaugh's debts, is the only part that remains unclear. I can't believe that even you think this is what happened, so I assumed you merely mistyped.

Of course if you have a cite that shows that this actually happened, that would be a different matter, but you don't, so it isn't.
I always thought his parents bailed him out of debt, not Congress. I remember reading a Mother Jones exposé about it.

ETA: Mencimer, S. (2018, Sept 13). The Many Mysteries of Brett Kavanaugh’s Finances. Mother Jones. Retrieved January 2, 2020 from https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/09/the-many-mysteries-of-brett-kavanaughs-finances

margin may have been referring to the $150,000 settlement referenced in the article.
"He acknowledged that in 2014, he received a lump-sum payment—which Whitehouse estimated at $150,000—as part of a settlement in a class action filed by federal judges seeking back pay for cost-of-living increases denied by Congress. The payment wasn’t included on his financial disclosure form because, he wrote, the instructions exempt reporting pay from the federal government." -Stephanie Mencimer for Mother Jones
~Max

Last edited by Max S.; 01-02-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
"Crap", "conspiracy theory", "failure or critical thinking." How many books have you read on the Authorship controversy, BigT? What's your take on the Sonnets' dedication? Or the enigmatic preface to the 1609 Troilus and Cressida? "Indecipherable private joke" — that's the hive party line right?
So you've resorted to sneaking your conspiracy-theory horseshit into unrelated threads, hoping that we won't notice it? Christ, you're pathetic.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Oh, I am not confused about that part - you followed up an accusation of someone else being a lying shitweasel by telling a direct and easily disprovable lie.

Of course if you have a cite that shows that this actually happened, that would be a different matter, but you don't, so it isn't.I am glad to see that you were able to understand the point of the quote. Hm.

No doubt I'm older than you, but I don't think that helps.

Regards,
Shodan
Yeah, how DARE I get annoyed with hypocritical assholes like you after years of this bad faith crap.

You're pretending that I said something idiotic about Kavanaugh's finances. You ALWAYS pull this shit. It's the ultimate in bad faith, but you know that.

How Trumpian of you.

Max.S., I was referring to this, which details Kavanaugh's debts. Kavanaugh owed between $60,000 and $200,000 on three credit cards, plus an loan against a retirement account, pays $10,000 tuition for two kids, belongs to a country club with a $92,000 initiation fee, lives in a $1.225 million dollar house, and whose salary at the time of Trump's nomination was $91,000, plus his wife's recently-acquired part time job at $66,000. These are figures that come from Kavanaugh's financial disclosure. His savings and retirement accounts did not decrease after he bought that million dollar house, for which he would have to cough up a 20% down payment. That's a lot of cash that he simply did not have, according to financial statements he himself gave. Furthermore, his wife left the work force in 2010, and returned to that part time job at $66,000 in 2015.

By the time Time nominated him to the SCOTUS, his credit card debts had vanished in a manner of months, leaving him with only an $815,000 mortgage.

That's assuming Mr. "Devil's Triangle has NO sexual connotations at all!" Kavanaugh was telling the truth.

I see someone else corrected your claim that I was a liar. When the subject of one's comment brags that they have done exactly what one cites them as doing how is that a lie?

Last edited by margin; 01-02-2020 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Shodan is scum
Old 01-02-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Max.S., I was referring to this, which details Kavanaugh's debts.
Yup, that's what I thought. Same exact article. But my takeaway was that he got a nice lump $150,000 settlement from the class action (against the federal govt), and most of the rest of his debt disappeared with the help of rich family members.

~Max

Last edited by Max S.; 01-02-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:

There is a comma there that should be a semi colon. Had I had more, I would have italicized the "who".

Mitch McConnell REFUSED to even hold hearings for any of Obama's nominees.

Where is the lie?

Also, can I again appeal to the mods to correct the fourth quote in post 120, where I fucked up the combination of quote and response? The first part is the quote, then after using my week's supply of elipses is the response.

I still cannot believe I said "free reign" instead of "rein", although it doeskind of make sense when applied to certain individuals.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max S. View Post
Yup, that's what I thought. Same exact article. But my takeaway was that he got a nice lump $150,000 settlement from the class action (against the federal govt), and most of the rest of his debt disappeared with the help of rich family members.

~Max
The way I read it, he had debts of:
$60,000--to $200,000, which given that he's him, strikes me as an attempt to obfuscate, so I'm going to lean toward the higher figure;
the $92,000 country club fee---which was more than his entire salary at some points;
the, what, $250,000 down payment on the house;
the tens of thousands of dollars he claims he spent on Nats tickets for "a handful of friends" (who he said paid him back)
but he paid all this off very suddenly.
There's also mention of nonspecific "home repairs".
If family helped him, why on earth would he not say so? The fact that he did not do so makes me wonder why not.

At one point, then, he somehow had to come up with approximately $342,000 dollars. Is that in addition to the credit card debt? Or is it part of it?

At the very least, there are tax implications, aren't there?

Did he put the down payment, the country club entrance fee plus the yearly dues and the school tuitions on credit cards? The country club fee is $9000 a year; the two school tuitions are approximately $21,000 per year. If he's putting those on credit cards every year, those add up fast.

Given the way he lied through his teeth to Congress, I wonder what else he's lying about. It's that disingenuous, "No, sir, the Devil's Triangle" is not sexual," type of ruse. A kid who bragged about boofing, kegs, and being a "Renate alumnus" was not a shy, studious, choir boy.

Whatever his finances, he carried those credit card debts till shortly before Trump nominated him to the SCOTUS, after which they abruptly disappeared.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Knew this was going to be a shit show...and it is..
Old 01-02-2020, 10:00 PM

Trump fried Salami. That terrorist is history. Trump rocks!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Most people, knowing that the majority of the Senate moves back and forth between the two parties, would at least attempt to see if McConnell was the Senate Majority Leader before making such a claim. And all of those people, upon realizing that both were approved by the Senate under the Majority leadership of Harry Reid (D), would shut their mouths to not appear ignorant.

Sadly, you're still not most people, and being incorrect has never been a problem for you to blast your stupidity to the world.
[Nelson Muntz]Ha ha! [/Nelson Muntz]
Old 01-02-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
[Nelson Muntz]Ha ha! [/Nelson Muntz]
I'm sure Shodan will be back any minute with a mea culpa and an apology to margin. After accusing me of not debating in good faith, there's really no way forward for him at this point.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
OJ Simpson's base of support also grew and became stronger while he was on trial.

That had very little to do with objective reasoning and, given his supporters their druthers, all that acting on their irrational rage might have accomplished would have been letting a man who may genuinely have murdered his wife go free since that choice had nothing to do with the facts at hand.

If your neighbor pisses you off, there are better ways to get back at him than by summoning Godzilla to stomp both your and his house together.

Be angry and get revenge all you want, but there are levels of priorities in this if you're not a nutcase. Let's say that the FBI is violating everyone's privacy and it's a horrible horrible thing. Well, which is worse, having the FBI searching through your emails or killing you? You know those Kurds who just got all turned into bloody smear? They're bloody smear and their families will never see them again. That's not a newspaper headline. That's actual human lives.

If the FBI wants to watch me fap and somehow that would bring back a person to life, then come install the fucking camera, I'll open my legs wide.

The government is not a thing that exists on TV, as the shared competitive storytelling game between Fox News and CNN. It's an actual thing that affects the lives of millions of people across the planet who want to fucking live to see tomorrow. It is not a game nor an intellectual masturbation session for trying to show other first world ninnies up. And when you treat it like it is, you are causing death. You are bringing famine to people who don't deserve it, who have no idea what American politics are, and don't even know what the hell an FBI is.

And nor is that sort of game-playing nonsense the way to get your objections to privacy violations fixed, any more than that somehow letting OJ Simpson go free would have magically convinced all the police in the nation to give black people a fair shake. (Hint: It didn't.) So by all means, seek whatever political agenda you are aiming for, but you will achieve nothing but to harm yourself and others so long as you operate free of reality nor will you do anything but move the world further away from your agenda than you started with.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 01-02-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
OJ Simpson's base of support also grew and became stronger while he was on trial.

That had very little to do with objective reasoning and, given his supporters their druthers, all that acting on their irrational rage might have accomplished would have been letting a man who may genuinely have murdered his wife go free since that choice had nothing to do with the facts at hand.

If your neighbor pisses you off, there are better ways to get back at him than by summoning Godzilla to stomp both your and his house together.

Be angry and get revenge all you want, but there are levels of priorities in this if you're not a nutcase. Let's say that the FBI is violating everyone's privacy and it's a horrible horrible thing. Well, which is worse, having the FBI searching through your emails or killing you? You know those Kurds who just got all turned into bloody smear? They're bloody smear and their families will never see them again. That's not a newspaper headline. That's actual human lives.

If the FBI wants to watch me fap and somehow that would bring back a person to life, then come install the fucking camera, I'll open my legs wide.

The government is not a thing that exists on TV, as the shared competitive storytelling game between Fox News and CNN. It's an actual thing that affects the lives of millions of people across the planet who want to fucking live to see tomorrow. It is not a game nor an intellectual masturbation session for trying to show other first world ninnies up. And when you treat it like it is, you are causing death. You are bringing famine to people who don't deserve it, who have no idea what American politics are, and don't even know what the hell an FBI is.

And nor is that sort of game-playing nonsense the way to get your objections to privacy violations fixed, any more than that somehow letting OJ Simpson go free would have magically convinced all the police in the nation to give black people a fair shake. (Hint: It didn't.) So by all means, seek whatever political agenda you are aiming for, but you will achieve nothing but to harm yourself and others so long as you operate free of reality nor will you do anything but move the world further away from your agenda than you started with.
OJ Simpson?! How fucking tangential can you get? Your wordy bogus analogies that are clearly off the mark just bore me. Like the rest of these Trump deranged individuals here, you're chasing ghosts around every corner. You love the Kurds? Go there and get the fuck out of here.

Last edited by EasyPhil; 01-02-2020 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:01 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Hello Universe? Can we get some better Trump defenders on this board?

I'd say...no.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
You love the Kurds? Go there and get the fuck out of here.
Then let's ignore the Kurds and talk America. How many layers of management have been skimmed off the top of the Department of Homeland Security? Go count them.

How many people have quit the Pentagon in the last two weeks?

Where is the top of the Arms Control and International Security Affairs bureau, whose job it was to ensure that Iran has no nukes?

Where is the National Security Counsel?

We just assassinated one of the generals of Iran - plausibly a nuclear state - and our military our national defense all are decapitated and have been for over a year.

Glad I don't live on the East Coast is what I'm saying.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 01-02-2020 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:44 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
You love the Kurds? Go there and get the fuck out of here.

Spoken like a "True American", you actually un-American piece of crap.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There is a comma there that should be a semi colon.
Those should be two separate sentences.
Quote:
Had I had more, I would have italicized the "who".
More what - more rage? I don't think that's possible. More intelligence? Same answer.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-03-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
More what - more rage? I don't think that's possible. More intelligence? Same answer.

Regards,
Shodan
Maybe try being less of a dick from time to time. Is that possible, or same answer?