Old 10-19-2019, 07:42 PM

Why are Skip Bayless, etc. not liked?

Sports media became popular in the 1980s and 1990s, and got more revolutionary in the 2010s with Twitter opinions and so forth.

Fox Sports commentators Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd, Doug Gottlieb are not popular with most people, why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8wNxCIQ14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--aRj_VApJM
Old 10-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

As far as Bayless, he's crafted this argumentative, opinionated, I'm-always-right, persona, and seems to spout ridiculous opinions because he knows that it'll generate buzz. It's like he's taken the "heel" persona from pro wrestling, and applied it to sports talk.

As described in this 2013 Washington Post article, entitled "Skip Bayless, ESPN2 'First Take' co-host, may be the most hated man in sports":

Quote:
Bayless just may be the most polarizing figure in sports today. The co-host of ESPN’s “First Take,” Bayless epitomizes the superheated, highly lucrative world of sports-talk television. It is a nascent arena that rewards shock and awe more than considered judgment, and Bayless is perfectly suited for it.

He’s insistent on everything, no matter how contrarian or seemingly outlandish: Tebow is a winner (“the next Brett Favre”), LeBron James is a choker (“He’s Pippen more than he’s Jordan”) and everything is open to interpretation (Example: “I’m totally against taking America-born white players in the first round of the draft.”).

Last edited by kenobi 65; 10-19-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
As far as Bayless, he's crafted this argumentative, opinionated, I'm-always-right, persona, and seems to spout ridiculous opinions because he knows that it'll generate buzz. It's like he's taken the "heel" persona from pro wrestling, and applied it to sports talk.

As described in this 2013 Washington Post article, entitled "Skip Bayless, ESPN2 'First Take' co-host, may be the most hated man in sports":
Don't you think he is entertaining?

Bayless is a journalist, he was on the radio as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip_Bayless

Cowherd is the same as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Cowherd
Old 10-19-2019, 08:36 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Don't you think he is entertaining?

Bayless is a journalist, he was on the radio as well.
Not in the slightest. I'm not a big fan of sports talk, in general, but I find him to be among the worst. I have no use for people screaming at each other and saying stupid things -- I don't find that entertaining at all.

He was a sports columnist here in Chicago, for the Tribune, for a few years before he started in TV. I didn't care for him much then, either.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:44 PM

Bayless, Cowherd, Screamin’ A, are all from the “shock jock” school of journalism. No opinion is too controversial as long as it gets people to watch, and no delivery is too bombastic which is why they all shout into the microphone.

You want entertainment in your sports talk journalism? Watch Dan LeBatard’s Highly Questionable or listen to his radio show, watch Around the Horn where Tony Reali keeps it tight and fun, and watch Pardon The Interruption where Wilbon and Kornheiser often get excitable but the format means that they have to move on to other things so they can’t scream at each other for an hour about LeBron. ESPN’s afternoon lineup is still quality programming, as is Golic and Wingo in the morning.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:19 AM

All the guys mentioned are giant boring assholes but Gottlieb wins the stupid contest by a mile.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:27 AM

I admit that I was a sucker for Bayless and Stephen A Smith when they were on first take or whatever their show was called, and I got pulled into it knowing that I couldn't stand Bayless, who's always struck me as a narcissistic attention whore. And I always thought of Smith as being smarmy. But together, they somehow made the show entertaining.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:32 AM

Skip Bayless is wrong so much he pretty much has zero credibility. I listen to sports radio frequently and while nobody is right all the time (or can see the future) I prefer someone who has actual knowledge and reason to back up opinions. The local ESPN shows I listen to in the Seattle area are pretty good and don’t just go for “hot takes”.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
All the guys mentioned are giant boring assholes but Gottlieb wins the stupid contest by a mile.

Gottlieb was attacked for making fun of injured retired quarterback Andrew Luck.

He is seen as raw, like the man he substitutes for, Colin Cowherd.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

An interesting bit of trivia about Skip Bayless: he's the older brother of restaurateur and television host Rick Bayless, who has a far, far more pleasant public persona than Skip does.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:41 PM

I prefer someone a little quieter like Dan Patrick and the Danettes.

He never screams and doesn't act like a "I know everything" guy.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
You want entertainment in your sports talk journalism?
For me it's Sportsnet's dingbat presenters TimandSid

Yeah I had enough of a problem with SB to start a thread a ways back.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Didn’t Jim Rome start the trend of the loud obnoxious sports talk host? It’s really time for that to end.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post

That's pretty much it; these guys aren't really trying to stimulate and moderate insightful, interesting sports talk, but rather to incite and fan the flames by stating extreme and inflammatory positions to see who it lights up and then fan their flames, because that's apparently what some people like to see.

Problem is, in a lot of cases, they're just flat out wrong and/or don't know what the heck they're talking about, and it can be pretty irritating if you are a fan of one of the teams/players, or if you actually know something about the sport, to hear one of these twits up there saying inflammatory nonsense about them.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Didn’t Jim Rome start the trend of the loud obnoxious sports talk host? It’s really time for that to end.
They replaced Ryen Russillo with Will Cain so I don't think that's the direction they are going.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
For me it's Sportsnet's dingbat presenters TimandSid

Yeah I had enough of a problem with SB to start a thread a ways back.
Entertainment is in sports journalism.

Sports and entertainment is intertwined, now, it is part of an industry.

In Canada, a former hockey player-turned commentator named Don Cherry is pretty entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUOohWf499w
Old 10-21-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Skip Bayless is wrong so much he pretty much has zero credibility. I listen to sports radio frequently and while nobody is right all the time (or can see the future) I prefer someone who has actual knowledge and reason to back up opinions. The local ESPN shows I listen to in the Seattle area are pretty good and don’t just go for “hot takes”.
But these guys get paid millions in the sports journalism world.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:40 PM

What those guys do isn't really journalism. They may have been journalists in the past. If the opinion they present was their honest opinion it might be. Instead, they give a "take" specifically chosen to irritate people. Furthermore, they present it with an undeserved air of authority using fame, volume, and the frequent use of the "end call" button.

It's one thing to be obnoxious, but what throws these guys (to various degrees) into yellow journalism is the lack of integrity.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:03 PM

It just dawned on me that what these guys are doing fits the literal definition of trolling.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:17 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Yankees, you've gotten a lot of pretty consistent responses to your question, but your replies seem to keep trying to parry what we've been saying ("but they're entertaining!" "but they're journalists!" "but they make millions!")

What's the point that you're trying to make? (I'm guessing that you enjoy Bayless, Cowherd, etc.)

Last edited by kenobi 65; 10-21-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
It just dawned on me that what these guys are doing fits the literal definition of trolling.
That's exactly what they're doing. They'll get up there and deliberately say something on national TV intended to agitate a certain section of fandom, and then let the people who have been trolled call in all agitated, and then argue with them, etc...

It's not productive, it's not insightful and it's not informative. I don't find it entertaining either- it's like watching someone poke a caged animal with a stick.

I'd much prefer to watch Skip Bayless go to some kind of town hall meeting full of some team's hardcore fans and see if he talks as much BS in person as he would on the TV show.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I'd much prefer to watch Skip Bayless go to some kind of town hall meeting full of some team's hardcore fans and see if he talks as much BS in person as he would on the TV show.
This sounds like a fans reaction to Ted DiBiase making fun of their small town in the old WWF days.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
This sounds like a fans reaction to Ted DiBiase making fun of their small town in the old WWF days.
Maybe... wasn't too much of a Million Dollar Man fan, so I don't recall that.

My point is that these guys are often loudmouthed and inflammatory from the safety of their show, and I have some suspicions that they'd be less so if they weren't merely bloviating on TV, but were saying those things to actual fans face-to-face. Not that the fans would beat them up or anything, but it's basically a variant on the idea that otherwise normal, decent people will do/say assholish things on the internet because it's "not real" somehow.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Maybe... wasn't too much of a Million Dollar Man fan, so I don't recall that.

My point is that these guys are often loudmouthed and inflammatory from the safety of their show, and I have some suspicions that they'd be less so if they weren't merely bloviating on TV, but were saying those things to actual fans face-to-face. Not that the fans would beat them up or anything, but it's basically a variant on the idea that otherwise normal, decent people will do/say assholish things on the internet because it's "not real" somehow.
There is a scientific theory about this.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Entertainment is in sports journalism.

Sports and entertainment is intertwined, now, it is part of an industry.
So is news and entertainment. Doesn't mean I like it. I want my sports journalism to be informative and insightful not necessarily entertaining. I want my sports journalism to make me a better educated fan - I find the sports I watch to be more than entertaining. I don't need some over the top personality dropping 'hot takes' for my entertainment.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:12 PM
Your Ad Here
Charter Member

There are a number of reasons I barely listen to sports talk. One is the prevalence of the "hot take" and the trolling. A second is the repetition. A third is the sheer number of commercials. That's not to say that there can't be good sports talk shows that are both entertaining and informative. I'd be happy to watch PTI if I remembered (the time zone difference means the replay is on at a weird time for me on a lesser cable channel), for example, but you couldn't pay me to watch something like First Take.