Old 12-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

I had a few encounters with the paddle, a red thing similar to a cricket bat with "Bored of Education" on it. I'm guessing it was for not doing homework. Rural Illinois public school, early '70s.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:45 PM

I always thought "The Strap" was an urban legend in our school, a rumour to keep us all in line. There were a couple of "bad kids" in my grade who were rumoured to have been given The Strap but I don't know if that was true or not. Never once did I see a teacher strike a child.

Ontario, 1978-1984.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

The strap no, but I was hand or ruler spanked by the teacher in lower grades (K-3; ages 5-8) and paddled when older. This was in the 1950s to early 60s in Michigan and Ohio.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:59 PM

I was paddled the first day of the first grade. Apparently, I liked to talk and wouldn't sit still. Who woulda guessed? I got several more paddlings (though likely less than I deserved) in my elementary school career - mostly for fighting. I was a small kid who bullies liked to pick on until they figured out I fought back. I don't remember receiving any corporal punishment at school after 5th grade.

US, Georgia, late 1960's - early 70's.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:28 PM

,Because of the recent anniversary of the death of JFK, I heard a story from an older man who went to the same Catholic grade school that I went to. Of course not at the same time.

On November 22, 1963 this man (when he was a young student) was walking down the hall at our grade school heading to lunch. While passing the janitors supply closet, he heard from the janitor's radio the report of JFK's shooting.

He ran to the principal's office very upset and told the principal and the other nuns that he just heard that the president was just shot in the head.

The principal, Sr. Verona walked up to this student and slapped him hard across the face for saying such a terrible lie.

He ran crying out of the office while word of JFK's death quickly swept through the school.

Of course being such a wonderful representation of Catholism, Sr. Verona never did apologize to that poor kid.

I attended that same school years later and the sisters actions were typical of how the nuns treated the kids in my experience.

Last edited by dada2fish; 12-04-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:08 PM

Ah yes, the good old strap, such an exquisite bite!

They weren't used in very much English schools, but apparently every Scottish teacher worth their salt had a favourite tawse hanging up to teach unruly kids to behave. The most famous is the Lochgelly Tawse, manufactured by saddler John J Dick, coming in Light, Medium, Heavy or Extra Heavy.

Genuine John J Dick Lochgellys fetch a pretty penny these days, since CP at schools was abolished a few years ago. These aren't your shitty cheapo sex shop straps made from re-formed "leather", these are serious pieces of hide, works of art, you can feel the quality when you raise one over your shoulder. Looked after, oiled, kept supple, they will give years and years of good service. From the middle of the 1970s, it became harder to obtain the thick heavy leather to make them, but as far as I am aware, they never resorted to using layers of bonded leather to get the weight up.

I hate to think how many old teachers croak and their heirs find them in old boxes of career memorabilia, and just clear them out into the skip as shameful relics! See how much they fetch on E-bay...

Oh, and yes, I have felt the bite across my wrists, as Scottish ex-schoolkids might have endured, as punishment for speaking out of line to a Mistress.
I remember seeing white for a few seconds as the pain exploded up my arms and then not having the self-control to stop myself saying "Ffffffffuuuuuuuuuck!". Bad move...

Applied across the backside, I'll confess to quite liking the Light and even the Medium weight models, it's a nice clean sting, but have only made it to 2 strokes with the Heavy before I was up and heading for the exit. It's like being kicked by a cow, knocks the breath out of you, I couldn't think straight, it scrambled my brain! Still, the lighter end of the range is far more preferable across the backside to the cane, which we were subject to during our days at school.

I imagine the threat of the strap across one's wrists/hands would keep most sensible kids in line, but still, it's a fearsome implement and I'd perhaps only approve of its use in only the most serious of circumstances. Alas, I gather that some teachers would be whacking away for all manner of minor transgressions, which to me is out of order, it's not something to chuck about willy-nilly. The sight of it should be enough to settle any class down (at my school, the sight of the cane being taken out of the cupboard and laid gently on the teacher's desk could bring the rowdiest class to complete, utter, perfect silence in a heartbeat, even those who had never had the misfortune of getting a stroke or two. It was no laughing matter, no matter how hard you thought you were, who wanted to be tested?)

I mean, getting belted/applying it to others as an adult, consensually, because I'm a deviant is one thing. However, being punished with one as a boisterous kid with no consent to give, let alone a safe-word, is quite another. I imagine that a good strapping across the wrists and palm could cause serious permanent nerve damage, and that is inexcusable.

*Edit. Holy shit, the Dick family are still making and selling them as "for collectors only" :
http://www.johndick-leathergoods.co....wse_online.htm

Last edited by The Great Cornholio; 12-04-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent Juicy View Post
I always thought "The Strap" was an urban legend in our school, a rumour to keep us all in line. There were a couple of "bad kids" in my grade who were rumoured to have been given The Strap but I don't know if that was true or not. Never once did I see a teacher strike a child.

Ontario, 1978-1984.
Well, the Catholic school I attended really DID allow corporal punishment, but we still heard rumors of a special "spanking machine" in the principal's office for the REALLY bad kids.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
I was paddled the first day of the first grade. Apparently, I liked to talk and wouldn't sit still.
The vast majority of my paddlings at school were a direct result of talking in class and not sitting still.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
Well, the Catholic school I attended really DID allow corporal punishment, but we still heard rumors of a special "spanking machine" in the principal's office for the REALLY bad kids.
hhmmmmm so many lines, must not.........

Australian Public School got the strap in grade 4 for talking in a line (1974). My dad was pissed (beating me was his job!) he went down to the school and punched the head master in the eye. Wish he stuck to punching teachers!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:28 PM

Once in elementary school, I forget why. Paddle across my butt.

In high school, we had a short, dark haired assistant principal, whom the student body had nicknamed Tattoo (from Fantasy Island). He was universally hated. My friend and I were already a.) out of class without permission, b) going up the down staircase, and c) had been off smoking in the bathroom and no doubt reeked of it so we were already up shit creek. Therefore we decided we'd yell, "De Plane! De Plane!" and...get away somehow? Profit? Not sure we had a great plan after that.

I was offered three licks or three days - the catch being that if I took the three day suspension my guardian would be called. I took the three licks with a wooden paddle from Tattoo himself, who normally delegated such things. Hurt like a bitch and I suspect he put a bit of English on it to make it worse.

1986, Mississippi
Old 12-04-2013, 11:58 PM

Oh I forgot most of the teachers I saw with a strap used an old barber's strop. Bloody thick and hurty!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
We got the cane at my school, in Australia, in the early to mid-1980s.

The cane (across the upturned hand) was frequently given to boys in the boarding section of the school for various infractions, from talking after lights-out to rough-housing in the dormitories to failing to complete homework.

I received the cane on two occasions in Grade 7 (1 stroke, and 4 strokes), and once in Grade 9 (4 strokes). But i was a pretty good kid. I think the record among my Grade 7 friends was a total of something like 80 or 90 strokes over the course of the year, and the winner took considerable pride in his accomplishment.

The cane was usually administered at a side entrance to the Teachers' Residence, and if a teacher told you to "Go to the side door," you knew that you were going to be caned. Students standing along the wall by the side door were often taunted by other students as they awaited their punishment.

The school had about 300 boarding students and about 600 day students, but the cane was very rarely given in the day school. It was almost exclusively used in the boarding school.

By the time i left at the end of 1986, corporal punishment was declining in frequency, although some teachers still used it.
I got the cane too, although I didn't attend a boarding school just a government primary and secondary school in rural NSW Australia.

Never got "the cuts" (as they were called) in primary school but got it a few times in early high school. One time was in about year 8, the PE teacher was running late, we got told to get into our sport clothes and wait outside in the bloody cold. We got bored and started rock roofing some of the other classrooms (through stones up on the corrugated iron roofs), and got caught by the deputy principal. 2 on each hand, right across the tips of the fingers.

They started phasing it out in about 1981.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
I was paddled the first day of the first grade. Apparently, I liked to talk and wouldn't sit still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
The vast majority of my paddlings at school were a direct result of talking in class and not sitting still.
And that's how we dealt with ADHD back in the day.

Last edited by Leaffan; 12-05-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Yep. I graduated high school in Oklahoma in 1980.
Corporal punishment was in used until after I graduated.
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm all for it. I never received a 'busting' that I didn't deserve. This was back in the day when teachers were allowed to control their classrooms.

I think this comic sums it up nicely
Old 12-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Cornholio View Post
I imagine the threat of the strap across one's wrists/hands would keep most sensible kids in line, but still, it's a fearsome implement and I'd perhaps only approve of its use in only the most serious of circumstances. Alas, I gather that some teachers would be whacking away for all manner of minor transgressions, which to me is out of order, it's not something to chuck about willy-nilly. <snip>

*Edit. Holy shit, the Dick family are still making and selling them as "for collectors only" :
http://www.johndick-leathergoods.co....wse_online.htm
As far as I know teachers were always supposed to avoid hitting the wrist as that was possibly dangerous. If a teacher did hit too far up the hand onto the wrist he or she did occasionally apologise, and try to get the next one more on target. But they'd get a reputation for being crap at giving the strap among the pupils if it happened more than once or twice. The strap was a known risk but every teacher's 'strapping point' was different so behaviour from class to class varied, sometimes quite widely.

My sister was a teacher for several years in the 1970s and had a Loch Gelly from John Dick's and kept it for years but I think she must have chucked it out before she died as it wasn't among her possessions when I had to go through them.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleena View Post
Once in elementary school, I forget why. Paddle across my butt.

In high school, we had a short, dark haired assistant principal, whom the student body had nicknamed Tattoo (from Fantasy Island). He was universally hated. My friend and I were already a.) out of class without permission, b) going up the down staircase, and c) had been off smoking in the bathroom and no doubt reeked of it so we were already up shit creek. Therefore we decided we'd yell, "De Plane! De Plane!" and...get away somehow? Profit? Not sure we had a great plan after that.

I was offered three licks or three days - the catch being that if I took the three day suspension my guardian would be called. I took the three licks with a wooden paddle from Tattoo himself, who normally delegated such things. Hurt like a bitch and I suspect he put a bit of English on it to make it worse.

1986, Mississippi

You really had up and down staircases?
I read the book Up the Down Staircase but I didn't know they really existed.
All our stairs went up and down and you stayed to the right, just like driving.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
No prescription needed!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:28 PM

My school used the strap or tawse. If I recall correctly it was a heavy leather strap that was split in two at the dangerous end.

Being a slow learner I had three or four strappings before I figured out it was less painful to just behave myself.

English catholic grammar school early 1970s
Old 12-05-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Yet another reason I thank fuck that I'm not living "back in the day."
Old 12-05-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahirrnee View Post
You really had up and down staircases?
I read the book Up the Down Staircase but I didn't know they really existed.
All our stairs went up and down and you stayed to the right, just like driving.
Sure - if you have 500 or so students changing classes all at once, possibly with a locker upstairs to get to and then back to a classroom downstairs, you should have an up only and down only staircase to keep people moving.

You can walk right, but the up/down way is more efficient and you can get more kids on the staircase at once.

Plus, you know, it's fun to go up the down staircase if you're being a defiant little shit, too. Can't do that if you can use the stairs willy-nilly!

ETA: The net result - at least in my school, was that traffic flow was mostly then in a big circle from down to across (and by the lockers and classrooms) then up the far end and across (again by lockers and classrooms) to the down staircase again. So it was more efficient.

Last edited by Gleena; 12-05-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:51 PM

Wow, school in Minnesota in late 60s through the 70s. I never saw anyone get whacked, even with a ruler. One teacher should us his paddle with air holes to make it go faster but he had never been reported using it. I guess we were way ahead of the curve.

We often did have a desk or two up front where misbehaving children got to sit so they could be watched at all times and, of course, there was always the threat of being sent to the principal's office but that was all there was.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:16 PM

Once, in Jr High, 1970 or 71, Mr. Riegle, the principal, with a board or paddle of some sort. He hit pretty hard, though not as hard as my father. I don't remember what it was for. Most likely, I was guilty of something, but not exactly what I was getting punished for.

The vice principle, Mr. Keen, used to very often say in speeches or when someone was misbehaving, "I'm gonna whop your can, son!" but as far as I know, he never did.

Anyway, no major harm done.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:22 PM

Sister Holy Innocent paddled my friend and I for coming in early from recess when it was below freezing outside with 2 ft. of snow. We were huddled inside the doors of the school shivering in our little Catholic school girl skirts when she caught us.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWhatsit View Post
Yet another reason I thank fuck that I'm not living "back in the day."
Yes, this thread pretty much confirms my opinion that a great many teachers of the past went into teaching so they could beat on kids.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
Yes, this thread pretty much confirms my opinion that a great many teachers of the past went into teaching so they could beat on kids.
No. Not at all. It was just the societal norm of the day, like smoking in public, drinking and driving, and homophobia: nothing more, nothing less.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
No. Not at all. It was just the societal norm of the day, like smoking in public, drinking and driving, and homophobia: nothing more, nothing less.
Social norm or not, if as random adults they started beating on children I'd expect there'd be a serious risk of them getting beaten in return by the kid's parents. Being teachers gave the the opportunity to justify it as "discipline" instead of sadism.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Social norm or not, if as random adults they started beating on children I'd expect there'd be a serious risk of them getting beaten in return by the kid's parents. Being teachers gave the the opportunity to justify it as "discipline" instead of sadism.
Yes, parents reserved the right to beat their children ( out of school ) to themselves.

BTW Singapore still canes children for vandalism in public. Remember the US kid that was spraying cars.
Needless to say, they don't have much of a child vandal problem.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggo View Post
BTW Singapore still canes children for vandalism in public. Remember the US kid that was spraying cars.
I expect they have a child abuse problem, though. And plenty of general brutality; because inflicting brutality creates more brutality.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, parents reserved the right to beat their children ( out of school ) to themselves.

They would also not have a child vandal problem if they simply summarily murdered all children.

One wonders why this solution has not occurred to anyone.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
No. They'd have had to physically overpower me to apply it, and I'd have done my best to hurt them back. Almost certainly with parental approval afterward.
Look at me, agreeing with Der Trihs, completely.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
As well as kids who were the wrong gender, or wrong color, or had the wrong last name, or lived in the wrong neighborhood, etc.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:30 AM

Yes many times. I was punished with a strap, ruler, etc all throughout elementary school. It was very common, and accepted as the norm. I had one classmate whose parents came in and requested he NOT receive physical punishment, and I remember thinking in 3rd grade that somehow that was odd/special, and I viewed it as preferential treatment in my small mind.

This was in the 1990s in a religious school on US soil. (Although not the continental US)
Old 12-07-2013, 07:01 PM

My beatings started early. 1950's. Midwest IL. Private Day Care Nursery School.

Some nasty little piece of work on crutches grabbed my rubber duck and bit the head off then threw it at me out of the clear blue sky, JUST BECAUSE SHE KNEW SHE'D GET AWAY WITH IT.

I kicked her crutch and down she went.

Miss Bertha Tank, the headmistress, came barreling out of nowhere and grabbed ME! by the neck and perpwalked me to the bathroom where she rubbed a huge bar of nasty Fels Naptha soap into my mouth. I was incredulous. I kept saying to her over and over thru the soapy mess, "But why ... ? I didnt say a bad thing!" She had no explanation for her actions.

I was excused from going back there forever.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:00 AM

I met a woman on the Taos Pueblo who was roughly around my age (49) who got smacked with a ruler if she spoke Tewa or Spanish rather than English. This was at a private school and yes, if you flinched you'd get more licks.

I never got paddled but was warned by older kids shortly after I started 1st grade to watch out because the principal had a paddle with nails in it. A few years later my brother went to the same school. The principal must have upgraded because my brother was warned about an electric paddle.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:57 AM

It was the cane in my day. Some arbitrary number of strikes, called cuts, up to a maximum of 6, across the palm of the hand. Each cut produced a bruised welt across the hand. This continued all the way up to high school. I was a victim more times than I can remember.

It was all pretty grotesque in retrospect. The teacher would pull out his cane and swish it around, like Tiger Woods taking practice swings. Then he would carefully address your palm, before taking a nice big back swing and hitting you as hard as he could. This was exclusively a male teacher's prerogative. The female teachers would send you to some male teacher for your punishment.

At the time, the fact that these teachers were brutalizing children didn't occur to me. And I was always guilty of whatever I had been accused of so I just took my punishment. Eventually in high school a situation arose where I was to be punished for something I hadn't done and I refused to be caned, despite the teacher's screaming and yelling. For this I suffered other, longer lasting punishments but I don't think I was ever caned again.

It's funny really that until this thread I had never though about how revolting the whole thing was. When I think of how small my hands were when I was 9 or 10 years old, how the hell could someone think it appropriate to be belting them, at adult power, with a half inch flexible cane.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
It was the cane in my day. Some arbitrary number of strikes, called cuts, up to a maximum of 6, across the palm of the hand. Each cut produced a bruised welt across the hand. This continued all the way up to high school. I was a victim more times than I can remember.

It was all pretty grotesque in retrospect. The teacher would pull out his cane and swish it around, like Tiger Woods taking practice swings. Then he would carefully address your palm, before taking a nice big back swing and hitting you as hard as he could. This was exclusively a male teacher's prerogative. The female teachers would send you to some male teacher for your punishment.

At the time, the fact that these teachers were brutalizing children didn't occur to me. And I was always guilty of whatever I had been accused of so I just took my punishment. Eventually in high school a situation arose where I was to be punished for something I hadn't done and I refused to be caned, despite the teacher's screaming and yelling. For this I suffered other, longer lasting punishments but I don't think I was ever caned again.

It's funny really that until this thread I had never though about how revolting the whole thing was. When I think of how small my hands were when I was 9 or 10 years old, how the hell could someone think it appropriate to be belting them, at adult power, with a half inch flexible cane.
When I was at boarding school, it was accepted that house prefects could beat younger pupils with a sandshoe and school prefects could cane.
It all seemed normal at the time, but it was really an abomination that boys could legally thrash younger boys.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysdad View Post
Look at me, agreeing with Der Trihs, completely.
But then for the rest of your school careers you would both have been "that weird kid who totally spazzed out when Mr Rogers went to give him one little slap with the gymshoe, I mean, he was like foaming at the mouth and screeching and trying to bite and then he for-real shat himself..." and your socialisation would have taken a giant step back and...

You know what, I've totally forgotten what point I was trying to make here, and it was really profound too.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
When I was at boarding school, it was accepted that house prefects could beat younger pupils with a sandshoe and school prefects could cane.
It all seemed normal at the time, but it was really an abomination that boys could legally thrash younger boys.
We had that at my school as well, but it wasn't just house prefects; basically, anyone in an older form could do it. It wasn't officially accepted, and teachers were supposed to prevent it or punish it, but it was common practice.

Instead of a sandshoe, it was usually a cricket bat across the buttocks.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
We had that at my school as well, but it wasn't just house prefects; basically, anyone in an older form could do it. It wasn't officially accepted, and teachers were supposed to prevent it or punish it, but it was common practice.

Instead of a sandshoe, it was usually a cricket bat across the buttocks.
Given that many of the boys at schools like that are running countries now, perhaps it's not surprising that the world is such a violent place.
I know that I was far more accepting of brutality after I left school, than I might have been had I been in a more humane system.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:13 PM

The boys gym teacher and the school Vice Principle were the only two people who paddled anyone in my Junior High school (grades 7-9). I earned a swat from the gym teacher. This was around '77 or '78, in Massachusetts.

They used a flat wooden board that was approximately one foot long, six inches wide, not counting the handle. They had you place both of your hands, palms down, on their desk, which had us slightly bent over. ("Assume the position", indeed.) I don't know how many licks was standard. My assumption was no more than three. Anything worse merited detention, or sumthin more official.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapmenow View Post
Yes I got the strap at school. I was 12years old at the time. This was back in the 1960's. I received six of the best - 2 initially on my right hand, then 2 on the left hand and the final 2 on my right hand again. I throughly deserved it as I had been following a Special Needs Pupil who had Down's Syndrome and imitating his lumbering walk or gait. My hands stung but I felt really good as I was now naughty enough to be one of the bad boys who had been strapped. Approximately 15 other boys had been strapped in the same cloakroom immediately before me. I was the last to be strapped. We each received six of the best.
I also used to get the cuts at school sometimes 6 but usually 4. When it was 6, it was like you, 2 on the right, 2 on the left, and then 2 more on the right. The hands stung for a while but I felt bloody good after it. I was one of the boys!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:36 PM

nm

Last edited by Muffin; 06-24-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:19 PM

zombie or no

nuns liked sticks. leather was sacrilegious.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:34 PM

Junior high school (grades 7-9), Los Angeles, 1963-1966. I never got into any kind of trouble, but the majority of classrooms with male teachers had a paddle hanging conspicuously on the wall. IIRC, it was controversial (among the students) at the time whether paddling was legal -- This was during a time, I think, of rising public opinion and laws against it.

I never saw a paddling happen. I did hear sporadic stories -- supposedly, always on the butt, not on the wrist.

All the paddles I saw hanging on walls were covered with students' names or initials. I gather that when you got paddled, you got to take the paddle to the wood shop and carve your name or initials on it.