Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 PM

Mad Men 2.7: The Gold Violin, Sep 7th '08 (open spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCTV
Don steps up in class and purchases a new set of wheels that is more appropriate for a big-time executive; Pete, Harry and Ken put their heads together to land new accounts; a serious error by Don's secretary could reflect poorly on Joan; the staff reacts to the new objet d'art in Cooper's office.
I wonder what the error that reflects so poorly on Joan is.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:11 PM

Jane is going to suffer horribly at Joan's hands. It was bad anough she used the m-word, but going over her head to Sterling. I was disappointed that they didn't expand on Don's flashback to the used car dealership; hopefully it'll come up again in a later episode. Sal actually got married to Kitty? And his mother is apparently living with them (where was she during dinner)? Oh, and Betty's "cleaning up" at the park was absolutely disgusting. What that really acceptable behavior in 1962? I was less shocked at Duck when he abandoned his god.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

What exactly is the backstory with Don Draper and his assumed identity? I watched most of AMC's 1st season marathon, but I missed the last few episodes, and I only picked up from these threads that Don literally isn't who he says he is.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
What exactly is the backstory with Don Draper and his assumed identity? I watched most of AMC's 1st season marathon, but I missed the last few episodes, and I only picked up from these threads that Don literally isn't who he says he is.
He assumed he identity of a superior officer who died in the war. The real Don Draper was days away from being discharged and was starting a new unit with only our Don (Dick) having arrived. When he officer died, "Don" took his dog tags, was discharged and disappeared.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:24 PM

Yep, our Don was actually a hapless dirt farmer's son named Dick Whitman (his mother was "a whore", whether professional or otherwise) who came to live with his distant father and long-suffering stepmother when he was born. He had a younger half-brother, Adam, who adored him and who was the only one who saw him cowering on the train when the coffin containing the body of the (burned beyond recognition after Dick accidentally blew up the ammo depot they were guarding) actual Don Draper was dropped off at Whitman's hometown as that of Whitman. Said brother actually tracked Dick down in his new identity in NY and eventually committed suicide when the frantic Dick disavowed him and tried to bribe him with $5,000 to go away forever.

And oh yeah, Pete somehow got the box Adam had of Dick's old stuff and, after trying to blackmail him with it, showed it to Bartlett Cooper. Who waved it off. So now Pete and Bartlett know he's Dick (although they don't know the entire story) but nobody else, not even his family, does.

Fantastic episode--lots of office antics, power struggles between Joan and Jane, Mark Rothko jokes, not too much Betty angst (except at the very end), and Don being called out by the cuckolded Jimmy to his face. Great stuff.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehitabel View Post
his mother was "a whore", whether professional or otherwise
Draper's mother was an actual prostitute. His father was one of her johns. After the mother died, he went to live with his biological father and his wife, who never let Don forget where he came from. I believe Don told Rachel all this.

I believe that Adam was the legitimate child of Don's father and his father's wife, but I think that their father died before Adam was actually born. Adam's mother then married "Uncle-something," who I believe was just as abusive to Don as his own father had been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon918 View Post
The littering was definitely -not- par for the course, early 60s. At least not in my family
I think the "at least not in my family" is the key. Even now there's some litter. In the '70s, things were worse. There's a reason that there were actually massive advertising campaigns to get people not to pull that shit -- Give a Hoot, the crying Indian.

Quote:
That Jimmy was awful
Seemed to me that he was pretty righteous in that scene. Why should he play along?

Quote:
-- but wasn't Mrs. Draper supposed to be part of his "deal" that Bobbie negotiated with Don?
Definitely not.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Oh, and Betty's "cleaning up" at the park was absolutely disgusting. What that really acceptable behavior in 1962? I was less shocked at Duck when he abandoned his god.
And Don tossing his beer can. Yes, it was accepted behavior. It wasn't until Ladybird Johnson's "Beautify America" campaign that people really started paying attention to litter. (There were no trash receptacles in that park.) That scene fit in nicely with the disposable diapers, which despite 40+ years of "Give a Hoot -- Don't Pollute", we still see in roadside ditches.

I'm worried for Sal.

ETA: Do we really know that Don's mother was a whore? Heck, did we ever see Don's mother? I don't remember.

Last edited by AuntiePam; 09-07-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:57 PM

AFAIK, the only word we have that Don's mother was a whore is from his step-mother, who said it in front of his father, who would know, I guess. Why Mr. Whitman would accept the child of a whore as his son, as presumably she was having sex with other men, I don't know. I was hoping to get more Whitman backstory this ep, but what we got was just tantalizing.

I really hope Joan wreaks havoc on Jane, and on Sterling too, for trash talking about her to Jane.

Big revelations from Jimmy Barrett-- for the first time, Betty is forced to be aware that Don is having an affair, and with whom. And Jimmy lets Don know that he is also aware of the affair and makes Don feel like trash. So there's the culmination of the trash we see throughout the ep, as a reflection of Don't feelings. I love how Betty showed her moral nausea...

What did you make of the bit about Cooper's painting? It was just an investment, after all, and he had no concern about it's artistic merit either way?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Looks like we may find out a bit more about Peggy, the priest, and the baby in the next episode, from the previews. Speaking of, since I missed the end of last season, just what do we know for sure about Peggy and the baby?

1) Do we know that Peggy had a baby?
Assuming yes:
2) Do we know if it's Peter's? Don's? Someone elses?
3) Was it given up for adoption? Or was it one of the kids at her sister's house?

I'm just trying to sort what is known as fact, what is strongly insinuated, and what is just us, perhaps incorrectly, filling in the blanks.

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-08-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:

Assuming yes:
3) Was it given up for adoption? Or was it one of the kids at her sister's house?

I'm just trying to sort what is known as fact, what is strongly insinuated, and what is just us, perhaps incorrectly, filling in the blanks.
1) I vaguely recall the last episode of season 1 featuring the birth. But if not, it's strongly insinuated that she had the baby.

2) It's strongly insinuated that Pete is the father, if only because that's the only person they've actually shown Peggy be with. Don seems to have a strange but special relationship to Peggy, even before he came to see her in the hospital ward during the flashback. It doesn't seem sexual, though.

3) This seems to be speculation, but I do recall someone anticipating that this was going to be revealed a few episodes back. Peggy's sister was pregnant last season, so none of the kids over there are likely Peggy's.

Also, this:

Quote:
I was less shocked at Duck when he abandoned his god.
is now my favorite quote ever.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Looks like we may find out a bit more about Peggy, the priest, and the baby in the next episode, from the previews. Speaking of, since I missed the end of last season, just what do we know for sure about Peggy and the baby?

Assuming yes:

1) Peggy had a baby, but she didn't know that she was pregnant until she went into labor, and she wouldn't hold or look at her son when the nurse brought it to her at the hospital.
2) Pete seduced Peggy on the day she started taking birth control pills. It's unlikely to be anybody else's. It's never been implied that Peggy slept with Don. He was a bit surprised when she got up the nerve to call him "Don" a couple of weeks ago, and I think that kind of defines their relationship.
3) When, in the flashback, Peggy's mother and sister visited her in the hospital after she gave birth, the sister was heavily pregnant. The implication is that the child we thought was Peggy's is actually her nephew, and hers was given up for adoption.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntiePam View Post
And Don tossing his beer can. Yes, it was accepted behavior. It wasn't until Ladybird Johnson's "Beautify America" campaign that people really started paying attention to litter. (There were no trash receptacles in that park.) That scene fit in nicely with the disposable diapers, which despite 40+ years of "Give a Hoot -- Don't Pollute", we still see in roadside ditches.
Part of the reason I like this show is the attention to detail by the prop people. When Don finished his beer (Schlitz?) and was getting ready to toss it, you could briefly see the top of the can, which had two punctures in the top created by the ubiquitous church key.