Old 07-07-2017, 10:36 PM

So what should be the Democrats' version of "Make America Great Again?"

Recently the Democratic Party sent out an email survey asking people to vote on sticker designs & presumably a new slogan for the party. The choices were objectively awful:

http://www.avclub.com/article/please...er-desi-257747

In particular, "She Persisted, We Resisted" brings to mind HRC's failed presidential campaign, something you'd think the party would want to move past. It's also bizarre that "She Persisted" is the title of Chelsea Clinton's new book, so I have to wonder what exactly these people are tying to accomplish. Besides that, the major problem with each slogan is that they are all reactive, not proactive. Thankfully they were rightly mocked by all sides of the political spectrum, and even the NRCC got in a good dig (Democrats 2018: We Win Moral Victories, Not Elections).

Which makes me wonder, what would be the Democrats' version of MAGA? Just a rallying cry that encompasses the party's positions & hopefully sell a lot of hats? "Hope & Change" sounds laughably naive in retrospect, & "Stronger Together" & "I'm With Her" are fine platitudes but were even more useless in communicating Democratic policies.

Or do you think the slogan ideas the party was floating in the email survey were decent? Are they capable of taking back the house with a rallying cry like "Democrats 2018: I Mean, Have You Seen the Other Guys?"

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Last edited by pjacks; 07-07-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:01 PM

Drop the "Again", and roll up our sleeves.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacks View Post
"Hope & Change" sounds laughably naive in retrospect
Doesn't matter a whit how it sounds in retrospect. It was money at the time. Inspirational and memorable; it's that message that got him elected. Just like MAGA worked in 2016.

A good message needs to be inspirational, memorable and capable of building a campaign around-- to grow into stump speeches, talking points, etc. Getting too specific on an issue isn't good for a message. Being forgettable isn't good. Being too long isn't good. Being cryptic or unclear is horrible.

I don't know what that is for 2018 and 2020, but I hear the Dems are floating "A better deal" right now. I'm pretty sure that's not "it."
Old 07-07-2017, 11:06 PM

I like "A Better Deal." It brings to mind a kind of old-school liberalism, & would reassure voters that yes, the party does actually care about economic issues.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
C'mon, you know if they did that, the Republican response would be "See, we told you the Democrats never thought America was great!"

Old 07-07-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I like "A Better Deal." It brings to mind a kind of old-school liberalism, & would reassure voters that yes, the party does actually care about economic issues.

It sounds to me like settling. "Eh, it's...better?"
Old 07-07-2017, 11:23 PM

Build our Future.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:31 PM

It's not PC but the Democrats, like it or not, need more testosterone. They can be white male macho and yet still balance that with respect for minorities, LGBT, and feminism -- those can coexist. They can also be friendly to business while simultaneously being friendly to the middle and lower classes.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It's not PC but the Democrats, like it or not, need more testosterone. They can be white male macho and yet still balance that with respect for minorities, LGBT, and feminism -- those can coexist. They can also be friendly to business while simultaneously being friendly to the middle and lower classes.
I agree, but how to you encompass all that in a catchy slogan?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
It sounds to me like settling. "Eh, it's...better?"
Hhmmm, yeah, I saw what you mean.
"A True Deal" ?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Build our Future.
I like this, & hopefully it would entice voters to think of things like green jobs & infrastructure.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:09 AM

"Justice for all." It's got that whiff of patriotism, so just try making fun of it, with roots in lefty politics. It could be used in different contexts-- justice for the working mom, justice for Philando, justice for the factory worker, justice for the retiree fighting to make ends meet, justice for our vets, justice for the kid born with pre-existing conditions, justice for the immigrant.

The progressive & labor wing could incorporate "No justice, no peace" into the campaign and bring some teeth to the fight.

And it's vague enough that people would be able to read into it whatever motivates them. I think a lot of people feel like they're not getting a fair shake-- like other people are getting advantages in life, at work, economically, politically, institutionally, in the justice system, etc.-- so the theme of justice could be tailored in a way to address specific audiences or large swaths of people. You don't want it focused too much on the middle class, or whites, or blue collar workers, or progressives, etc. But hearing someone say "You deserve justice" could scratch an itch for almost anyone that hears it.

It could have some bite to it, but doesn't necessarily attack anyone in specific, because almost everyone at some point has felt institutionally slighted.

And after the childish shitshow that we'll have endured, it has a grown-up air about it. Plus it also has the potential to stir emotions-- 10,000 people at a campaign rally chanting "Justice!" could be a powerful tool.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
"Justice for all." It's got that whiff of patriotism, so just try making fun of it, with roots in lefty politics. It could be used in different contexts-- justice for the working mom, justice for Philando, justice for the factory worker, justice for the retiree fighting to make ends meet, justice for our vets, justice for the kid born with pre-existing conditions, justice for the immigrant.

The progressive & labor wing could incorporate "No justice, no peace" into the campaign and bring some teeth to the fight.

And it's vague enough that people would be able to read into it whatever motivates them. I think a lot of people feel like they're not getting a fair shake-- like other people are getting advantages in life, at work, economically, politically, institutionally, in the justice system, etc.-- so the theme of justice could be tailored in a way to address specific audiences or large swaths of people. You don't want it focused too much on the middle class, or whites, or blue collar workers, or progressives, etc. But hearing someone say "You deserve justice" could scratch an itch for almost anyone that hears it.

It could have some bite to it, but doesn't necessarily attack anyone in specific, because almost everyone at some point has felt institutionally slighted.

And after the childish shitshow that we'll have endured, it has a grown-up air about it. Plus it also has the potential to stir emotions-- 10,000 people at a campaign rally chanting "Justice!" could be a powerful tool.
The first thing a lot of people who hear "Justice For All" are going to think of is the much-hated SJW stereotype. I can already imagine the jokey memes flooding twitter, reddit & facebook.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:56 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Let's Do This Shit.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:17 AM

Snatching Defeat From the Jaws of Victory

Old 07-08-2017, 01:38 AM

Make America American Again!
Old 07-08-2017, 01:46 AM

We learned our lesson, and we're not running HER again.

Seriously, though, how about "America for the 21st Century"
Old 07-08-2017, 02:12 AM

How about "Idiocracy wasn't supposed to be a documentary"?
Old 07-08-2017, 02:39 AM

Yeah those stickers are awful. It's not easy to make a slogan worse than "I'm with her" but "She Persisted, We Resisted" just might be it. Democrats really need to get out of their whiny,defensive crouch and articulate a hopeful vision like Obama did in 2008 and Clinton in 1992.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:45 AM

Hindsight is 2020
Old 07-08-2017, 06:45 AM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Quote:
Hhmmm, yeah, I saw what you mean.
"A True Deal" ?

Could try "A Square Deal" again.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
The problem is the Dem's have a bunch of older Arms. Who is the face of this party?

Old men and women without a lot of energy. New leadership away from the far left is needed.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:04 AM

She persisted, we resisted sounds like a woman tried to get me drunk to date rape me. But I got out of there. And that, officer, is why I was driving while intoxicated. It's all there on the bumper sticker! Can't you read?
Old 07-08-2017, 09:12 AM

Return to Normalcy
Old 07-08-2017, 09:17 AM

Let's Win Back Respect
Old 07-08-2017, 09:42 AM

Clean Up On Aisle 1600
Old 07-08-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
First thing that came to my mind when I read the thread title.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

I like "Fair Deal". "Square" has some negative connotations. Using "all" in the slogan will make some think it's the party for minorities of all types. I wouldn't mind "Stop the Republican Free-for-All, It's time to make America Fair for all." but that's a bit long.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Which makes me wonder, what would be the Democrats' version of MAGA? Just a rallying cry that encompasses the party's positions & hopefully sell a lot of hats? "Hope & Change" sounds laughably naive in retrospect, & "Stronger Together" & "I'm With Her" are fine platitudes but were even more useless in communicating Democratic policies.
"Stronger Together" and "I'm With Her" highlighted how narcissistic and out of touch Hillary is - they're the candidate saying "I'm great, you should follow me because I'm great," with overtones of "you should vote for my vagina-having-ness" in the second one. Meanwhile "Make America Great Again" talks about what Trump will do for you and the country, it isn't about Trump except as the instrument of that change. Trump wasn't short on self-aggrandizement, but he presented something more like "I'm great and I do things my own way and I'm going to do stuff for you people who get ignored and boost AMERICA" than "I'm qualified, I mean great, and the party says it's time for me to be elected, so go elect me because it's time to elect me". When Donald Trump, a guy who likes writing his name in giant gold letters, manages to come up with a less self-centered campaign slogan than you, it says a lot.

Quote:
Or do you think the slogan ideas the party was floating in the email survey were decent? Are they capable of taking back the house with a rallying cry like "Democrats 2018: I Mean, Have You Seen the Other Guys?"
I mean, it's better than "It's her turn", which was seriously considered as a slogan by Clinton's campaign staff, but it's an awful idea to even consider. The biggest problem for Democrats in elections is generally low turnout, and a slogan that amounts to "We suck, we know we suck, but maybe the other guy sucks worse" doesn't exactly encourage turnout. Do the Democrats really have no positive message to send? I really don't get why they're so afraid of sending positive messages or actual policy positions, it generally works well in politics (Reagan, Bill, W, Obama all had success with it in recent elections).
Old 07-08-2017, 11:30 AM

Truly awful, every one of them.

Why don't they just go for full disclosure and brutal honesty:
"A slightly less awful choice than the Republicans!"
"Vote for Kodos, Kang has got you nowhere!"
"We won't get anything done, but at least we're not actively evil - vote Democrat!"
Old 07-08-2017, 11:53 AM

Experience, integrity, respect.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
First thing that came to my mind when I read the thread title.
Great minds think alike. Twisted minds as well, apparently.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Hindsight is 2020
I'm not sure what that means, but I like it.

The only things I can think of this early on a Saturday is Ze Frank's FILDI and a sad attempt at morphing "a chicken in every pot" to something contemporary. That last did not turn out well.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Experience, integrity, respect.
Too difficult to live up to. Especially the 2nd part. These are politicians we're talking about.

Last edited by John Mace; 07-08-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:16 PM
BANNED

I am seriously enjoying watching this thread. Every one of these slogans is great and I hope Democrats adopt them all. I especially like "A Fair Deal" and "Justice for All". Those are definitely winning slogans.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:27 PM

"Embrace technocratic incrementalism."

It's hard to make a hip slogan for the Dems. The counter-culture energy is on the right. They're the masters of edgy memes and trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
"Stronger Together" and "I'm With Her" highlighted how narcissistic and out of touch Hillary is - they're the candidate saying "I'm great, you should follow me because I'm great," with overtones of "you should vote for my vagina-having-ness" in the second one.
Tippecanoe and Tyler Too
We Polked you in '44, We shall Pierce you in '52
Grant Us Another Term
Win with Wilson
War in the East, Peace in the West, Thank God for Woodrow Wilson
Keep Cool and Keep Coolidge
Who but Hoover?
Forward with Roosevelt
Pour it on 'em, Harry!
I like Ike
All the way with LBJ
Nixon's the One
Can't stump the Trump
Old 07-08-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
I like Ike
If you're trying to think up worse slogan idea, I think you found one. In a race with two wildly unpopular candidates, both of whom spark absolute hatred from some opponents, using "I like Hillary" seems like something that might actually be worse than what she did. A lot of people voting for Hillary thought "I held my nose and voted for her because she's not Trump, but damn" than anything approaching 'like', and that slogan would probably piss off every "at least she's not Trump" voter to some degree, leading to even lower turnouts.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
If you're trying to think up worse slogan idea, I think you found one. In a race with two wildly unpopular candidates, both of whom spark absolute hatred from some opponents, using "I like Hillary" seems like something that might actually be worse than what she did.
Well, duh. It doesn't rhyme, and "I pillory Hillary" is a step in the wrong direction.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:26 PM

Those ideas are so bad, my first thought was that this had to be a faked survey. Oh well.

What I would LIKE to see, is for ONE of the parties turn away from sound-bite thinking altogether. Oh well to that too.

What we need, is leaders who propose real solutions for our real challenges. Not slogan crafters.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:34 PM

Take America Back

Truth to Power

Or just

TRUTH

Or something that's not wimpy. And doesn't invoke Hillary
Old 07-08-2017, 02:37 PM

Beating trump in the next election is the first step then fixing all the damages trump has done if it not too late !
Old 07-08-2017, 02:49 PM

There was a thread a bit back, pretty sure it was the "house repeals thread", but I am not finding the post I am looking for.

Anyway, Bricker came up with a perfect slogan for the democrats in 2018 and on, as regards to changes in healthcare.

"We'll [the democrats] put you in the hospital, they'll [the republicans]put you in the morgue."
Old 07-08-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor frankensteen View Post
Those ideas are so bad, my first thought was that this had to be a faked survey. Oh well.

What I would LIKE to see, is for ONE of the parties turn away from sound-bite thinking altogether. Oh well to that too.

What we need, is leaders who propose real solutions for our real challenges. Not slogan crafters.
Yeah, but that was what hillary did. She made speeches that were not sound btiy, so her opposition took her words out of context and made those sound bites.

It would be better if the american voters had enough attention span that they did not need to be lead around by soundbites, but that is not something that the parties can fix.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Suspended

'Nine Squares A Day !'
Old 07-08-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Drake View Post
'Nine Squares A Day !'
That'll win the hobbit vote.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Suspended

Quote:

In particular, "She Persisted, We Resisted" brings to mind HRC's failed presidential campaign, something you'd think the party would want to move past. It's also bizarre that "She Persisted" is the title of Chelsea Clinton's new book, so I have to wonder what exactly these people are tying to accomplish.

Even odder as one associates the self-preening 'She Persisted' with Senator Warren, who had rather a hands-off approach to Hillary.

I do think the DNC admiration for Hillary is such that they may run her next time, crashing futilely into the Russian cannon, just to teach those rotten old patriarchs a lesson.

'C'est Magnifique, Mais Ce N'est Pas La Guerre.'
Old 07-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadementia View Post
That'll win the hobbit vote.

*Applauds*
Old 07-08-2017, 03:59 PM

"Not Beholden to Moscow"

"Biden Our Time"

(for Al Franken) "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!"
Old 07-08-2017, 04:09 PM

Stronger Together

Together for America

Building for America

Build the American Future

Advance America
Old 07-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Come to your senses, America!