Old 06-25-2019, 04:02 PM

Teach Me to Google Song Lyrics

Worst part of working with words is song lyrics. Finding them is impossible, even if you've heard the song a billion times. For example:

Upbeat '50s tune:

Baby, baby, you got me moving
Honey, honey, we're in the(or there) grooving
Filling up my expectations (excitations)
Loving you is my confirmation (consolation?)

So I need to know the song title. I've heard this at least 1,000 times. Searching the lyrics gives me "Good Vibrations" over and over and over and it's not even close to Beach Boys.

How the hell would you find the song title on the lovely, freaking Internet?

Seriously, it brings me to tears when I have to search for anything like this.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:10 PM

I don't usually have a problem finding song lyrics. If you have the words correct and put that snippet in quotes then Google should find just about any song. I can only assume the words aren't what you think they are.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
I don't usually have a problem finding song lyrics. If you have the words correct and put that snippet in quotes then Google should find just about any song. I can only assume the words aren't what you think they are.
That's the thing. One or two of them are wrong. All I get is "Good Vibrations", which it clearly isn't. And then songs by rappers I've never heard of.

After the first lyrics, it's "Keep on pushin' baby, please don't cry"

Sung by two or three men, 1950s or 60s. Included on every Time Life collection on late night commercials.
Honeycutters? Rascals? BPM about 132.

Last edited by Locrian; 06-25-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
It's completely obscure. I'm sure of the lyrics. Early-to-mid-'80s, kind of Ska, kind of Pop, singer had an English accent. Only heard it on the college station and on the record I bought.

I told you it's impossible!
Of course, I did have the lyrics wrong. (The song was Every Day's A Holiday, by Tupelo Chain Sex.)
Old 06-25-2019, 04:24 PM

If I could sing it to you, you'd know it right away. If I could hum it to you, you'd know it right away.

Shazam doesn't help because it's in a movie, so it's not hearing it clearly enough.

I seriously think it's the Rascals, but I've searched all of their lyrics. Not a drop.

Maybe when we get message boards where we can load a sound clip, our problems will end.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:31 PM

If anyone watches Summer of Rockets, episode 2, approximately 52 minutes. People are waiting in a car, the song is on the mono car radio.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
If anyone watches Summer of Rockets, episode 2, approximately 52 minutes. People are waiting in a car, the song is on the mono car radio.
It looks like you can watch it on BBC here. They should have music credits on the end. If IMDB has this information it is behind their pay wall.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
It looks like you can watch it on BBC here. They should have music credits on the end. If IMDB has this information it is behind their pay wall.
Our end credits don't have any songs listed. Probably because only 6 lines of it plays. Already googled songs used in summer of rockets/soundtrack, nada.

Trust me, end credits are godsends in this job. Just not today!

Last edited by Locrian; 06-25-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:59 PM

Haven't watched the clip, but it is possible that it's some stock music or something just made up for the show? If it's only a short clip they might just do that to avoid licensing fees. In that case, you aren't going to find it.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't watch the show, but I've found the episode -- I just don't see the part you're talking about. At the 50-54 minute marks, I see a bunch of people on the ground, acting/pretending to be dead or something? A voice says "under no circumstances is anyone to look up until the signal." Marching men. And then a scene in a room with a bunch of easels with black-and-white photographs pinned to it. Don't see a car scene around here. I watched for about five minutes. Is this the right episode?

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-25-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Watching on the iPlayer, there's no car scene around that time. Does the version you are watching have ad breaks?
Old 06-25-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Haven't watched the clip, but it is possible that it's some stock music or something just made up for the show? If it's only a short clip they might just do that to avoid licensing fees. In that case, you aren't going to find it.
The BBC has a blanket license for music, so chances are it's original.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
If I could sing it to you, you'd know it right away. If I could hum it to you, you'd know it right away.
What's stopping you singing it to us?

Behold the finest music identification thread this board has ever seen

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...highlight=midi

Note the dates the posts were made, and be inspired by post #64!
Old 06-25-2019, 06:46 PM

You can try searching the lyrics at genius.com, but I'm not finding anything that looks like it matches anything close to what you wrote.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:20 PM

Most internet lyrics sites are trash.

It's almost as if someone recruits a non-native English speaker on Mechanical Turk to listen to the song and transcribe it for 5 cents and publishes it on their web site. Then ALL of the other web sites copy the lyrics from the first web site (or readers of user-sourced web sites submit the trash lyrics). Then the awful transcription becomes the canonical internet version. So even if you know the correct lyrics, you might not be able to find them by googling.

Take any lyrics you find on the web with a big grain of salt. Don't assume you've misunderstood the song.

One example that really kills me is Lady by Lucy Neville. It's a beautiful song and the lyrics are not hard to understand. But a non-native speaker wouldn't know the idiom "sweep it under the rug," so every internet lyrics site has "I'll just sleep here under the rug" instead of "I'll just sweep it under the rug." That's just one example.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Moving from GQ to CS.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:35 PM

To assure all of you, it is a song heard and performed every time we see a Time Life Motown collection. That’s why I’m going apeshit on this. Like George Costanza with “IT MAKES ME SO MAD!”

And the time code is probably different on our video than on the broadcast or streaming version. I’ll back time it when I get home.

Last edited by Locrian; 06-25-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
What's stopping you singing it to us?

Behold the finest music identification thread this board has ever seen

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...highlight=midi

Note the dates the posts were made, and be inspired by post #64!
A classic, classic thread!
Old 07-19-2019, 02:40 AM

So what was the song???
Old 07-19-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Of course, I did have the lyrics wrong. (The song was Every Day's A Holiday, by Tupelo Chain Sex.)
Ah, yes: one of my proudest moments here on the SDMB.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So what was the song???
Oh, yeah. Forgot about this thread. Or what’s the proper time code for the Summer of Rockets scene so we can hear the song for ourselves?

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-19-2019 at 02:25 PM.