Old 04-03-2008, 01:40 AM

Are smileys being phased out?

I swear there used to be an evil smiley. I remember looking for a different smiley once before, and not finding it. And I KNOW there was a "Putz" smiley long ago. I got a mod-slap-on-the-wrist for saying "Putz" once when I noticed the smiley was gone.

Are they being removed??? Why???
Old 04-03-2008, 02:21 AM

Ok, I see where the Putz smiley went.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:54 AM
Charter Member

Also: Smashie is missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoG888
Ok, I see where the Putz smiley went.
Which is where? I noticed a little while ago that both the "Wally" Putz smiley and the "HOJM" Happy Orthodox Jewish Man smiley were gone.

Were they removed as a matter of policy, elminimated during a software upgrade and not manually replaced, or something else?
Old 04-03-2008, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstu
Which is where?
The answer is explained here. In short, the administration decided they were more trouble than they were worth.

IMHO: I liked HOJM, because it was so incongruous. It was like the most overly-specific thing you could put into a list of emotions to be expressed. It fit into the roster of smileys like a Macintosh SE case-cracker fit into a household toolbox. I don't think I ever used it.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Also: Smashie is missing
what was Smashie?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:02 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Back during "The Winter of Our Missed Content" we were temporarily on another outside message board while this one was being rebuilt.

The temporary board had a variety of smilies including an animated one with a hammer. We turned off the animation very quickly but even the static smilie was a bit hit, so to speak.

Some people promptly fell in love with "Smashie," as they called him, and have been asking for him ever since.

We resisted the urge to bring Smashie with us when we returned here as the smiley set was not royalty free and we did not have the right to simply appropriate the image.

The current smilies in place are, I believe, vB standard and there are no issues with their use. We do not currently anticipate adding to the list, though perhaps in future (especially with any possible vB upgrade) that situation may change.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:42 AM

I, for one, demand a smiley expressing hate and contempt. Bet the designer of the original smiley never thought of anything remotely like it...

Last edited by The Them; 04-03-2008 at 06:44 AM. Reason: why ire n amd m next to each other?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:07 AM

*Astroboy falls to his knees, sobbing and shaking his fists at an uncaring sky*

SMAAAAASHIEEEEEE!
Old 04-03-2008, 11:27 AM

Can we get a Barfie?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallowed My Cellphone
Can we get a Barfie?
Dear God, no.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
The answer is explained here. In short, the administration decided they were more trouble than they were worth.

IMHO: I liked HOJM, because it was so incongruous. It was like the most overly-specific thing you could put into a list of emotions to be expressed. It fit into the roster of smileys like a Macintosh SE case-cracker fit into a household toolbox. I don't think I ever used it.
Well, with the long wavy locks of hair at the temples looking like tentacles, he was also the smiley of choice for use in invocations of Cthulhu.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Can we get a Barfie?
The ever-popular Anorexic Barbie smiley.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:53 PM

Old 04-03-2008, 02:20 PM
BANNED

I keep hoping people will just stop using them. (All the smilies, not just the HOJM.)

Use your words, people.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwin
I keep hoping people will just stop using them. (All the smilies, not just the HOJM.)

Use your words, people.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Can we get a Barfie?
YES! With green barf. Gotta have green barf. I gotta thing for green barf.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Use your words, people.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:12 PM

I think wolfstu's articulate and erudite response spoke for all us smiley-lovers board-wide.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:40 PM

Old 04-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Use your words, people.
The best smilies aid in the fight against ignorance by softening speech and drama.

Furthermore, it can be difficult to convey attitude with the mere written word: the smilie permits something similar to tone of voice.

Along those lines, a barf-smilie is a bad idea. It's unnecessary and tends to add heat. Ick. *

The dubious smilie is essentially a softened roll-eyes. Smackie is preferable to the embarrassed icon.

What we still need though is an alternative to the winky, something amiable but a little less corny. I'm not sure what we might call it though: :facetious: doesn't seem right and would be easily misspelled. :twinkle: doesn't work well, nor does :simpatico: or :congenial:.

:kidding: ? :joshing: ?

Obligatory:

Then again, we could just try upgrading the winky itself.

-----
* See? Doesn't "Ick" work well enough?
Old 04-04-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Use your words, people.
This is the 21st century, dude. Words are dead.

Really, though, how is spelling out, "I'm just pretending I'm sly," or, "I'm serious, but I'd prefer you didn't realize that," better than " ?" Sometimes, a little ambiguity, along with the hope that it will be taken in the most innocuous way, is what holds society together.

OTOH (Do you also object to acronyms? Sorry, but I'm not a fast typist and they save me some time.), I usually use " " to mean, "You left yourself wide open for a guy like me, who thinks he's clever, to grab some low-hanging fruit and run." Two typed characters versus (attempting to count) lots of them, and brevity, being both "the soul of wit" and easier to type, wins.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
YES! With green barf. Gotta have green barf. I gotta thing for green barf.
Yeah, I hate to admit it, but I love Opal's animated green barfing smilie.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:40 AM

Soooo.... No evil smiley? I coulda sworn I seen one.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoG888
Soooo.... No evil smiley? I coulda sworn I seen one.
Forget an evil smiley -- I would love an eye-batting or angelic smiley, both of which I way overuse in IM conversations.

I'm such a minx!
Old 04-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

I've tried using an angelic smiley in IM, but it seems that I don't "do innocent" any better there than I do in person.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva
Back during "The Winter of Our Missed Content" we were temporarily on another outside message board while this one was being rebuilt.

The temporary board had a variety of smilies including an animated one with a hammer. We turned off the animation very quickly but even the static smilie was a bit hit, so to speak.

Some people promptly fell in love with "Smashie," as they called him, and have been asking for him ever since.

We resisted the urge to bring Smashie with us when we returned here as the smiley set was not royalty free and we did not have the right to simply appropriate the image.

The current smilies in place are, I believe, vB standard and there are no issues with their use. We do not currently anticipate adding to the list, though perhaps in future (especially with any possible vB upgrade) that situation may change.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I seem to recall that you let us vote for a new smiley, we voted overwhelmingly for smashie, and then you never implemented him.

Reminds me of 5th grade when the school let us vote for our class nickname. We voted on 'The Terminators' and the staff said, nah, we don't like that; you're the Hot Rods.

Hot Rods wasn't even a choice!

[/inner child rant]
Old 04-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco
Reminds me of 5th grade when the school let us vote for our class nickname. We voted on 'The Terminators' and the staff said, nah, we don't like that; you're the Hot Rods.

[/inner child rant]
It was just a lesson for later in life. "You're free to do whatever you like, so long as it's what we want."
Old 04-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I seem to recall that you let us vote for a new smiley, we voted overwhelmingly for smashie, and then you never implemented him.

[/inner child rant]
It's been so long ago that I do not remember it like that -- I remember little about this at all.

There's been a lot of things over the years where we started out with the best of intentions to do something on the board and for any number of reasons it didn't work out like that at all in the end.

Smiley have been a matter of debate, argument, and even controversy, with custom smileys most of all, which is why we no longer have custom smileys on this board.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I can definitely say that this is not true. I counted the votes for the two smiley votes we had at the SDMB. In the first poll, the "smacking head" smiley won. In the second poll, the "dubious" smiley won.

See proposals for second poll: http://home.earthlink.net/~awinkelri...oll/index.html

See proposals and winner for first poll: http://home.earthlink.net/~awinkelri...oll/poll1.html
Old 04-06-2008, 05:41 PM

wolfstu, I ws going to put you on my revenge list. Then I decided that if you have time to do that, revenge is redundant.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
...elminimated during a software upgrade
lol